Coaching Candidates

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Coaching Candidates

Post by brownjeans » December 3rd, 2020, 10:18 am

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:16 am
brownjeans wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:05 am
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 8:38 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 8:33 am
I am interested in who all the candidates have interviewed are? I realize the AD is wanting to keep it tight to the vest, but to not have any reports on who has been interviewed etc. makes the board go wild.
This, lost opportunity to build some excitement around your product.
I disagree.

Making a list of candidates known is a good way to get a fan base divided into camps supporting potential coaches who will not be hired. It will only serve to inject external emotion into the process which could eventually undermine the support for the ultimate selection.
Interesting opinion, I've always though that good, well intentioned debate should always be part of the process. It also makes boards like this more enjoyable.
I'd rather it be a critical evaluation by those with the expertise, information, and decision power than a political process by a bunch of people who have none of that. I couldn't care less if I or other fans are entertained by the process.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 3rd, 2020, 10:21 am

I agree with brownjeans here. Knowing who we interviewed would polarize different segments of the fanbase. It's just amazing that no leaks have happened though.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 3rd, 2020, 10:43 am

I probably started the whole Maile thing several pages ago. I never said he was my guy. I did however say that my opinion of him has shifted. I was a no on Maile early on. As I have watch the last several weeks unfold, I have change my mind about Maile. He is a solid candidate. He didn't just sit back and let this season go to waste. He has made difficult decisions. He has accurately assessed the problems and provided solutions. Most of all, I watch how players play for Maile. They play hard. They play excited. I like that. Is he the guy? I don't know. I am far less against it now than four weeks ago.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 5):
AngusAgMaverickAggie3rdGenAggiebrownjeansaggies22

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 3rd, 2020, 10:50 am

NVAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:43 am
I probably started the whole Maile thing several pages ago. I never said he was my guy. I did however say that my opinion of him has shifted. I was a no on Maile early on. As I have watch the last several weeks unfold, I have change my mind about Maile. He is a solid candidate. He didn't just sit back and let this season go to waste. He has made difficult decisions. He has accurately assessed the problems and provided solutions. Most of all, I watch how players play for Maile. They play hard. They play excited. I like that. Is he the guy? I don't know. I am far less against it now than four weeks ago.
This is exactly how I feel as well. Frank has done a tremendous job the last few weeks. Still not sure, but a lot more on board with it if it should happen that he gets the job. Nice to see an deeply dedicated Aggie, who's really invested in the program and the players, get a little recognition for a job well done.

Go Aggies!

2004AG

Coaching Candidates

Post by 2004AG » December 3rd, 2020, 10:57 am

NVAggie wrote:I probably started the whole Maile thing several pages ago. I never said he was my guy. I did however say that my opinion of him has shifted. I was a no on Maile early on. As I have watch the last several weeks unfold, I have change my mind about Maile. He is a solid candidate. He didn't just sit back and let this season go to waste. He has made difficult decisions. He has accurately assessed the problems and provided solutions. Most of all, I watch how players play for Maile. They play hard. They play excited. I like that. Is he the guy? I don't know. I am far less against it now than four weeks ago.
So one game against New Mexico who is 0-20 is all it took huh.....and pretend Fresno State didn’t happen ?

I like some of his moves but really they are moves we all would have made, right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » December 3rd, 2020, 11:00 am

2004AG wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:57 am
NVAggie wrote:I probably started the whole Maile thing several pages ago. I never said he was my guy. I did however say that my opinion of him has shifted. I was a no on Maile early on. As I have watch the last several weeks unfold, I have change my mind about Maile. He is a solid candidate. He didn't just sit back and let this season go to waste. He has made difficult decisions. He has accurately assessed the problems and provided solutions. Most of all, I watch how players play for Maile. They play hard. They play excited. I like that. Is he the guy? I don't know. I am far less against it now than four weeks ago.
So one game against New Mexico who is 0-20 is all it took huh.....and pretend Fresno State didn’t happen ?

I like some of his moves but really they are moves we all would have made, right ?

To me it looked like 84 of the 85 guys on the team played better against Fresno. At least until the forth quarter when the one player blew everything up.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 3rd, 2020, 11:00 am

I think I adequately made my case. It didn't include any discussion about how awesome it was to beat 0-20 UNM. You discussed boxes that need to be checked. Please provide the criteria on which this decision should be made. I welcome the opportunity to share my argument for Frank based on your "boxes". I also welcome the opportunity to do the same for many other potential candidates.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 3rd, 2020, 11:20 am

NVAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 11:00 am
I think I adequately made my case. It didn't include any discussion about how awesome it was to beat 0-20 UNM. You discussed boxes that need to be checked. Please provide the criteria on which this decision should be made. I welcome the opportunity to share my argument for Frank based on your "boxes". I also welcome the opportunity to do the same for many other potential candidates.
Unfortunately for Frank, I don't think he's able to check some boxes that are important like Head Coach experience, or P5 coordinator experience.....building a staff, etc.

In my perfect world Frank replaces Jay Hill at Weber State, proves he can win, builds a resume, and comes back and coaches here for 30 years. :utah: :state:
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
LarryTheAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 3rd, 2020, 11:26 am

I'll say this about Frank. If anyone doubts his ability to make the tough decision. In roughly ten days, he booted the starting QB and demoted the OC. Since he took over he's had to work with a patchwork coaching staff consisting of paid coaches and grad assistants. He's also gone on record addressing the transfers or potential transfers out of the program basically telling them to not let the door hit them on the a$$ on the way out.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 7):
LarryTheAggieBLUERUFiO3rdGenAggieAngusAgChodPIGSKINAGGIEsplintorb

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » December 3rd, 2020, 11:34 am

2004AG wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 11:20 am
NVAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 11:00 am
Unfortunately for Frank, I don't think he's able to check some boxes that are important like Head Coach experience, or P5 coordinator experience.....building a staff, etc.

In my perfect world Frank replaces Jay Hill at Weber State, proves he can win, builds a resume, and comes back and coaches here for 30 years. :utah: :state:
That is fair. With those very specific boxes, I can see why he doesn't appeal to you. I personally feel that there are attributes with people that can make them successful regardless of their experience. Where you say Head Coaching Experience, I would break that down into game management, resource management, making hard decisions, recruiting, building a staff. Someone can be a part of a really successful P5 coaching staff and not have any of those attributes. On the flip side, someone who has shown they can do the job elsewhere would be far more appealing.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 3rd, 2020, 11:42 am

2004AG wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:57 am

Remember that Maile named Peasley early on as the Fresno Starter and then the playcalling duties got messed up due to the COVID mess at the last minute. With average QB play the Fresno game would have come down to the end IMO. The defense struggled late but that is inevitable when the offense leaves them out to dry the entire game.

I want to see the next two weeks before a decision but if the team competes and scheme and decisions are solid I think Frank deserves a very hard look.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
PIGSKINAGGIE

coolag

Post by coolag » December 3rd, 2020, 12:26 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:18 am
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:16 am
brownjeans wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:05 am
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 8:38 am
Aggie84025 wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 8:33 am
I am interested in who all the candidates have interviewed are? I realize the AD is wanting to keep it tight to the vest, but to not have any reports on who has been interviewed etc. makes the board go wild.
This, lost opportunity to build some excitement around your product.
I disagree.

Making a list of candidates known is a good way to get a fan base divided into camps supporting potential coaches who will not be hired. It will only serve to inject external emotion into the process which could eventually undermine the support for the ultimate selection.
Interesting opinion, I've always though that good, well intentioned debate should always be part of the process. It also makes boards like this more enjoyable.
I'd rather it be a critical evaluation by those with the expertise, information, and decision power than a political process by a bunch of people who have none of that. I couldn't care less if I or other fans are entertained by the process.
It is a critical evaluation by those in charge. We are just fans being fans. What exactly are people thinking this board should be? Heaven forbid people have different opinions to express on an internet site.

Regulator of Class

coolag

Post by coolag » December 3rd, 2020, 12:35 pm

Oh and Gary Crowton it is.

Regulator of Class

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 3rd, 2020, 1:28 pm

coolag wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 12:26 pm
It is a critical evaluation by those in charge. We are just fans being fans. What exactly are people thinking this board should be? Heaven forbid people have different opinions to express on an internet site.
Put yourself in the shoes of USU. What are the pros and cons of making the candidate list public?
What is the potential value of the pros to USU?
What is the potential harm to value of the cons?

Do the potential value of the pros outweigh the potential harm of the cons?

BearLakeMonstar
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BearLakeMonstar » December 3rd, 2020, 1:40 pm

coolag wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 12:35 pm
Nailed it.

SasquatchAggie

Post by SasquatchAggie » December 3rd, 2020, 2:15 pm

BearLakeMonstar wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 1:40 pm
coolag wrote:
Nailed it.
I sure hope this is a joke.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 3rd, 2020, 5:18 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 8:08 am
The funniest thing about the discussion on here regarding Frank is that people will condemn the potential hire (nothing is done yet, could honestly not be Frank in the end) after the whole AD and search committee have done all they have done so far to make recommendations and review needs. Keep in mind also, that the condemnation is happening while admitting to know very little about the process, who's been involved, and what was presented from each candidate. Oh yeah, also keep in mind that this is happening before any official recruiting classes have been signed and any games have been played. Bravo!
Of course. This is a message board. Obviously the vast majority of us aren't in the know. People post why a certain coach should be hired and some of us disagree with that position and give our reasons why. It isn't anything beyond that.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » December 3rd, 2020, 5:26 pm

BearLakeMonstar wrote:
coolag wrote:
Nailed it.
Norm Chow? Image

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 5:26 pm
BearLakeMonstar wrote:
coolag wrote:
Nailed it.
Norm Chow? Image
I lived in Hawaii for a portion of Chow's time there. Let's just say he was not a popular man. Maybe he could have been a good head coach in his younger years, but in his high 60's, he just didn't have it.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 3rd, 2020, 6:16 pm

Don’t shoot the messenger.

Hail Aggies!

Matador

Post by Matador » December 3rd, 2020, 6:43 pm

You guys may have a legitimate, very real, opportunity to hire Matt Wells again.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » December 3rd, 2020, 6:45 pm

Matador wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 6:43 pm
You guys may have a legitimate, very real, opportunity to hire Matt Wells again.
He is good for at least one more year....

On a side note: he tested positive for COVID today and Coach Patterson is acting HC for Saturday’s game

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 3rd, 2020, 6:47 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 6:16 pm

Dan Hawkins eh?
60 years old coaching at UC Davis where he’s been up and down.
I’ll choose to believe your tag line and not believe anything you say!

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 3rd, 2020, 6:48 pm

taniataylor wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 6:45 pm
Matador wrote:

On a side note: he tested positive for COVID today and Coach Patterson is acting HC for Saturday’s game
That improves TT’s odds considerably if it is a one possession game.

Matador

Post by Matador » December 3rd, 2020, 6:51 pm

taniataylor wrote:
Matador wrote:

Yes he did. I think they are hoping for a “false positive”, but as of right now, he is out.

That said, there is a ton of smoke about him being bought out this year. The AD is trying to keep him, but the big donors are not and want to move on. Fan base has checked out.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » December 3rd, 2020, 6:56 pm

Matador wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 6:51 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Matador wrote:

Yes he did. I think they are hoping for a “false positive”, but as of right now, he is out.

That said, there is a ton of smoke about him being bought out this year. The AD is trying to keep him, but the big donors are not and want to move on. Fan base has checked out.

Aggies All the Way!

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 3rd, 2020, 7:16 pm

Man, can you imagine being MW? Get a fat stack and retire early. He hit the jackpot.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » December 3rd, 2020, 7:38 pm

Brownjeans is correct in my opinion. That being said, if the true experts narrow it down to the point, that all things being equal, Frank is still in the mix, I would support his loyalty and commitment and give him the job.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 3rd, 2020, 7:58 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 6:16 pm

Dan Hawkins eh?
60 years old coaching at UC Davis where he’s been up and down.
I’ll choose to believe your tag line and not believe anything you say!
ProvoAggie is just mad about something from years ago, I wouldn’t go on the roller coaster in Vegas with him because I respect gravity too much and he hasn’t gotten over it.

Hail Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 3rd, 2020, 10:32 pm

taniataylor wrote:
Matador wrote:

Surprised it wouldn't be Yost.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 3rd, 2020, 10:56 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 7:16 pm
Man, can you imagine being MW? Get a fat stack and retire early. He hit the jackpot.
sounds pretty sweet to me.

coolag

Post by coolag » December 3rd, 2020, 10:59 pm

WasatchAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 7:38 pm
Brownjeans is correct in my opinion. That being said, if the true experts narrow it down to the point, that all things being equal, Frank is still in the mix, I would support his loyalty and commitment and give him the job.
Still feel that way?

Regulator of Class

Matador

Post by Matador » December 4th, 2020, 6:51 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 3rd, 2020, 10:32 pm
taniataylor wrote:
Matador wrote:

Surprised it wouldn't be Yost.
Yost may be the most disliked Coach on the staff right now. You can hold a meeting of his fan club in a phone booth.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » December 4th, 2020, 7:39 am

Are there any phone booths left in this country? I bet Lubbock doesn't have any.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 4th, 2020, 8:25 am

NVAggie wrote:
December 4th, 2020, 7:39 am
Are there any phone booths left in this country? I bet Lubbock doesn't have any.
David Yost's fanclub has the last one.

Locked Previous topicNext topic