Coaching Candidates

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GeoAg

Re: Coaching Candidates

Post by GeoAg » December 1st, 2020, 2:28 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 2:10 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 12:59 pm
We can't afford Jim McElwain.
I disagree
He makes 1.7 mill. If we can afford him, I'll be ecstatic. That is a major step forward in what we are willing to pay. I think he has proven he can do the job.

Here's the link that lists his pay...http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2020, 2:34 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 2:28 pm
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
I disagree
He makes 1.7 mill. If we can afford him, I'll be ecstatic. That is a major step forward in what we are willing to pay. I think he has proven he can do the job.

Here's the link that lists his pay...http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm
Are you sure? I saw that he signed a 5 year 3.4 million dollar contract at Central Michigan.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 1st, 2020, 2:35 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 2:34 pm
GeoAg wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
I disagree

Are you sure? I saw that he signed a 5 year 3.4 million dollar contract at Central Michigan.
I am not sure if coaches hot seat is correct, but that is what they are showing.

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 1st, 2020, 2:36 pm

GeoAg wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
I disagree

most of that is because of his buyout from FL. his buyout would be between 400k and a mil

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 1st, 2020, 2:37 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 2:35 pm
GeoAg wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
I disagree

I am not sure if coaches hot seat is correct, but that is what they are showing.
The number must combine both his current Western Michigan salary and his payout still coming from Florida. The number are close when you look at this article...https://www.cm-life.com/article/2018/12 ... ry-12-3-18

So I believe we could afford him.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2020, 2:46 pm

GeoAg wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 2:37 pm
GeoAg wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 2:35 pm
GeoAg wrote:
JFW_AGGIES wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
I disagree

The number must combine both his current Western Michigan salary and his payout still coming from Florida. The number are close when you look at this article...https://www.cm-life.com/article/2018/12 ... ry-12-3-18

So I believe we could afford him.
Yeah Gary was making more than what his contract at Central Michigan is per year. He would definitely not be an "up and comer," but the guy knows how to win. He won a national title as OC with Nick Saban, won at CSU, went to two SEC title games at Florida and has won at Central Michigan. I believe he would figure out how to win here.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » December 1st, 2020, 2:57 pm

I love Frank....I don't know if he is the long-term solution for us or not, and happily, I don't make those decisions! I think our guys love Frank and will fight hard for him. I also think he'll do a good job recruiting.

If he doesn't get hired, and chooses to leave, I wish him the best no matter what he does or where he goes. He's a great man, and a completely class act. I'm glad we have him.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post (total 6):
Elkaggie3rdGenAggieBLUERUFiObrownjeanscdaAgaggies22

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 1st, 2020, 3:01 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 2:57 pm
I love Frank....I don't know if he is the long-term solution for us or not, and happily, I don't make those decisions! I think our guys love Frank and will fight hard for him. I also think he'll do a good job recruiting.

If he doesn't get hired, and chooses to leave, I wish him the best no matter what he does or where he goes. He's a great man, and a completely class act. I'm glad we have him.
I think there are many players on the team that are in limbo about coming back or transferring based on who is going to be the HC. I know Nick Heninger basically said so in the presser yesterday. It is going to be very interesting who stays and leaves based on the hire.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 1st, 2020, 3:23 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 2:12 pm
Dillingham is another name to keep your eye on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That dude has had a meteoric rise. I’d pass. I think he’s 30?

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 1st, 2020, 3:43 pm

It looks like I am in the minority on McElwain. I was never impressed with the job he did at CSU and never got the impression he was building anything long term there. He was banking on bringing in a few transfer guys and hopefully having success in the year when their schedule was more favorable and using it as a way to leave Ft. Collins. That happened for him and he did exactly that. It has since played out that he built nothing at CSU nor did he change the culture there. I went back and looked at my comments back when he left to Florida and I said he would be exposed for the fraud he is and wouldn't last 3 years there. He was fired just short of 3 years.

He seems like a nice enough guy but I really think we need someone with more fire that is at that stage of their career where they are hungry to show what they've got.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
2004AGAngusAgSlim80

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 1st, 2020, 3:46 pm

Aglicious wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 3:43 pm
It looks like I am in the minority on McElwain. I was never impressed with the job he did at CSU and never got the impression he was building anything long term there. He was banking on bringing in a few transfer guys and hopefully having success in the year when their schedule was more favorable and using it as a way to leave Ft. Collins. That happened for him and he did exactly that. It has since played out that he built nothing at CSU nor did he change the culture there. I went back and looked at my comments back when he left to Florida and I said he would be exposed for the fraud he is and wouldn't last 3 years there. He was fired just short of 3 years.

He seems like a nice enough guy but I really think we need someone with more fire that is at that stage of their career where they are hungry to show what they've got.
I'm with you. Hard pass on McElwain for sure.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
AngusAg

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 1st, 2020, 3:59 pm

Football scoop points to Sanford nota Jr.

Hail Aggies!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 1st, 2020, 4:05 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 3:59 pm

:shock: :headscratch: :crazy: Either Sanford would be a monumental mistake at this point.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 1st, 2020, 4:10 pm

Aglicious wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 4:05 pm
TheAKAggie wrote:

:shock: :headscratch: :crazy: Either Sanford would be a monumental mistake at this point.
I can't imagine it would be either Sanford. Sanford Sr. has a career 34-73 record as a head coach. Sanford Jr. has a 9-16 record in 2 years at Western Kentucky. Then he was OC at USU when the offense took a major step back from the previous year despite still having a First Round QB.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 1st, 2020, 4:10 pm

Aglicious wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

Nuclear Winter is for entertainment only. They aren't reporting anything, just a fun read to see how crazy things could get with the coaching carousel. They do it every winter. Sanford is not going to be our next head coach. I have not heard McElwain's name thrown around at all, so I wouldn't bet on that right now either.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
aggies22

Donman

Post by Donman » December 1st, 2020, 4:11 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 4:10 pm
Aglicious wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

I can't imagine it would be either Sanford. Sanford Sr. has a career 34-73 record as a head coach. Sanford Jr. has a 9-16 record in 2 years at Western Kentucky. Then he was OC at USU when the offense took a major step back from the previous year despite still having a First Round QB.
Go read rule 1

coolag

Post by coolag » December 1st, 2020, 4:42 pm

I'm a good guy and I love Utah State. Pick me!!
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
2004AG

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 1st, 2020, 4:52 pm

The older retread rumor for a coach candidate is just that...a rumor.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » December 1st, 2020, 6:05 pm

I've heard things are swinging in Jay Hill's direction.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 1st, 2020, 7:04 pm

Turtle wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 6:05 pm
If this is true it should be done by friday, what about Kenny D I've heard his name but I think hes a bit young at this point

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 1st, 2020, 7:27 pm

Turtle wrote:
The AD must have read this thread.

Slim80

Post by Slim80 » December 1st, 2020, 8:11 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 3:46 pm
Aglicious wrote:

Me too. He left the cupboards pretty damn bare at CSU when he made his move to Florida. He did not do well at Florida at all. I would be quite disappointed if we were to hear his name announced.

coolag

Post by coolag » December 1st, 2020, 8:27 pm

Turtle wrote:
I think he would be a good hire but does that mean Hartwell has struck out on his preferred picks?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2020, 8:40 pm

Slim80 wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 8:11 pm
2004AG wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 3:46 pm
Aglicious wrote:

Me too. He left the cupboards pretty damn bare at CSU when he made his move to Florida. He did not do well at Florida at all. I would be quite disappointed if we were to hear his name announced.
Colorado State had 3 winning seasons after he left. Mike Bobo couldn't keep it going. He did ok at Florida. Playing in two sec championships is doing well. They hadn't been in an SEC championship the previous 5 years before he took over. Yes his 3rd year they were bad. Down years happen.

stang

Post by stang » December 1st, 2020, 11:09 pm

Turtle wrote:I've heard things are swinging in Jay Hill's direction.
I’ve heard the exact opposite
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
aggies22BLUERUFiO

Turtle

Post by Turtle » December 2nd, 2020, 8:54 am

stang wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 11:09 pm
I would trust your source over mine, just so other people are aware. My source is a player. So not someone who would actually know anything concrete, but I figured I would pass along what they were saying :)
These users thanked the author Turtle for the post:
BLUERUFiO

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 2nd, 2020, 9:24 am

I don't know anything at all. I have no connections, no substantive guesses, no close ties. I am waiting around here hoping that someone in the know is going to throw a few crumbs on here for our close investigation.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 2nd, 2020, 9:26 am

Turtle wrote:
stang wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 11:09 pm
I would trust your source over mine, just so other people are aware. My source is a player. So not someone who would actually know anything concrete, but I figured I would pass along what they were saying :)
I prefer your source.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » December 2nd, 2020, 1:29 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 4:10 pm
Aglicious wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

Nuclear Winter is for entertainment only. They aren't reporting anything, just a fun read to see how crazy things could get with the coaching carousel. They do it every winter. Sanford is not going to be our next head coach. I have not heard McElwain's name thrown around at all, so I wouldn't bet on that right now either.
Have you heard Matt Entz's name thrown around?

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 2nd, 2020, 1:43 pm

NVAggie wrote:I don't know anything at all. I have no connections, no substantive guesses, no close ties. I am waiting around here hoping that someone in the know is going to throw a few crumbs on here for our close investigation.
Anyone who says they know doesn’t. I mean, I thought for sure Frank wasn’t getting the job and he very well may and it wouldn’t be because of a strike out by Hartwell.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 4):
AngusAgratofallaggiesaggies22BLUERUFiO

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » December 2nd, 2020, 1:49 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 1:43 pm
NVAggie wrote:I don't know anything at all. I have no connections, no substantive guesses, no close ties. I am waiting around here hoping that someone in the know is going to throw a few crumbs on here for our close investigation.
Anyone who says they know doesn’t. I mean, I thought for sure Frank wasn’t getting the job and he very well may and it wouldn’t be because of a strike out by Hartwell.

what has caused you to make this declaration?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » December 2nd, 2020, 1:54 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I love Frank he just does not seem like the guy to lead the program and make it a consistent winner. He seems like a wonderful person, just my opinion on him leading the team.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in Hawaii2004AG

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 2nd, 2020, 2:16 pm

JFW_AGGIES wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 1:49 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

what has caused you to make this declaration?
Because he's telling the truth....
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 3):
AngusAgaggies22BLUERUFiO

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 2nd, 2020, 2:17 pm

It is really weird because I was initially against Frank Maile getting the job. Now, I wouldn't have a single problem with him getting the job. The more I hear about him and see the players play, the more I am okay with his hire. He needs to be able to bring in a good staff, but I remember the bowl game and last week. The guys played well.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 4):
LarryTheAggieAngusAgBLUERUFiOvegasaggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 2nd, 2020, 2:20 pm

NVAggie wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 2:17 pm
It is really weird because I was initially against Frank Maile getting the job. Now, I wouldn't have a single problem with him getting the job. The more I hear about him and see the players play, the more I am okay with his hire. He needs to be able to bring in a good staff, but I remember the bowl game and last week. The guys played well.
I feel the same way. Your point about bringing in his own staff is a big deal as well compared to current. Maybe with frank we can pay a little less and have a bit more for say an OC.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic