This HC search is tighter than a puppy’s butt hole

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
newhouse9

Re: This HC search is tighter than a puppy’s butt hole

Post by newhouse9 » December 1st, 2020, 3:01 pm

If we hire Jay Hill, maybe Frank would head to Weber to be the head coach. I really don't ever want to lose Frank.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 1st, 2020, 3:02 pm

MaverickAggie wrote:I'm on the Maile train. The guy will give Aggie Football everything he has and is young so has a lot to give. Seeing what he has done from dismissing cancers, shuffling coaching duties and getting the right guys on the field has sold me. He definitely has the vote of the players.
So did Tim Dureyea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 1st, 2020, 3:04 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 3:01 pm
If we hire Jay Hill, maybe Frank would head to Weber to be the head coach. I really don't ever want to lose Frank.
This is how I feel to. Whoever the new coach is I hope he can convince Frank to stay. It would be a huge loss to our program to lose him.

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » December 1st, 2020, 3:34 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 3:02 pm
MaverickAggie wrote:I'm on the Maile train. The guy will give Aggie Football everything he has and is young so has a lot to give. Seeing what he has done from dismissing cancers, shuffling coaching duties and getting the right guys on the field has sold me. He definitely has the vote of the players.
So did Tim Dureyea

What? Vote of the players? Maybe, I don't remember but that doesn't matter. Maile is not Duryea.

I can see Hartwell overlooking Maile because it appears to be the "easy" hire. He wants a splash hire and Maile doesn't do that. Jay Hill may be in the same boat unfortunately.
These users thanked the author MaverickAggie for the post:
IdaAg93

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » December 1st, 2020, 3:42 pm

Chatman wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 3:00 pm
MaverickAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 2:47 pm
I'm on the Maile train. The guy will give Aggie Football everything he has and is young so has a lot to give. Seeing what he has done from dismissing cancers, shuffling coaching duties and getting the right guys on the field has sold me. He definitely has the vote of the players.
Can he recruit top level talent? I think that is probably the most important attribute I would be looking for if I were Hartwell.
I am more concerned with can he develop players and get quality walk ons. I know that sounds funny but that is how you develop depth in a program which has been the biggest problem we have had at USU.

I don't think we will ever recruit top talent on a day to day. Our best players ever have been developed.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » December 1st, 2020, 3:43 pm

newhouse9 wrote:If we hire Jay Hill, maybe Frank would head to Weber to be the head coach. I really don't ever want to lose Frank.
Isn’t Frank making like 3X what Jay Hill is making? I don’t think Weber could afford him.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 1st, 2020, 3:44 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 3:43 pm
newhouse9 wrote:If we hire Jay Hill, maybe Frank would head to Weber to be the head coach. I really don't ever want to lose Frank.
Isn’t Frank making like 3X what Jay Hill is making? I don’t think Weber could afford him.

235k.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 1st, 2020, 3:57 pm

I love Frank and wish there were someway to ensure he would be a part of the future staff without making him the HC. I think the three things that hurt him most are his performance as a coordinator, his lack of coaching contacts to fill a well rounded and qualified staff, and really having no recruiting ties outside of the few inter-mountain states he's been assigned to as an assistant + Hawaii.

Then again, I think Frank has performed better as a HC than as a coordinator and a guy like Wells didn't exactly have tons of contacts in the coaching world (although he had coached at far more places than Frank) but was still able to find some really great coordinators and position coaches.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 1st, 2020, 4:01 pm

You think Hartwell is really into this search with his pending move to Athens?

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
AGinNEIowa

Hail Aggies!

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » December 1st, 2020, 4:24 pm

Notatrueaggie wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 1:05 pm
I just met with someone really close to frank. She said that if frank does not get the head coaching job, he will be leaving utah state. Tbh i think he is the head coach for the job and he will bring success to utah state and he is a blue blooded through and through so he wouldn’t bolt for a p5 program if he is offered. But this person is very close to frank and is 100% accurate. He did get interviewed.
The players sure do advocate for him. It seems if there's a window of opportunity to speak who they want, it's him. This noted on the post-game or Monday presser. They players seem to do well with him. Nick H is one of them, IIRC. Who was it last week...whomever they interview, he was a believe it should be FM.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 1st, 2020, 4:26 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 3:44 pm
CaptainChaos wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 3:43 pm

235k.
With Frank it has nothing to do with money.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
IdaAg93

ususports

Post by ususports » December 1st, 2020, 4:36 pm

Just so I know, is a puppy‘s butt hole more like Cameron on Ferris Bueller‘s Day off? Or does it have a little more elasticity and flexibility?

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » December 1st, 2020, 4:39 pm

More like Cameron. Terrible analogy I know. Soon after I posted it I tried to update the headline but it already had 8 responses.

All I’m saying is the admins are keeping this one close to the vest (and I don’t blame them).

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 1st, 2020, 4:47 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 4:39 pm
More like Cameron. Terrible analogy I know. Soon after I posted it I tried to update the headline but it already had 8 responses.

All I’m saying is the admins are keeping this one close to the vest (and I don’t blame them).
I still vote we change the subject on your initial post. I can do it if you want.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 1st, 2020, 4:50 pm

GeoAg wrote:
KissMyAg wrote:

I still vote we change the subject on your initial post. I can do it if you want.
More of a cat person? Image

Hail Aggies!

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » December 1st, 2020, 4:53 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 4:50 pm
GeoAg wrote:
KissMyAg wrote:

LOL... we are too far committed, we have to keep the puppy analogy.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 1st, 2020, 4:54 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
KissMyAg wrote:

:lol: :notworthy:

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

inconspicuous

Post by inconspicuous » December 1st, 2020, 5:03 pm

I honestly think that "lack of coaching contacts " is a poor excuse.
If the only way to fill an open D1 coaching job is through personal contacts maybe that had merit but that is not the case. Frank has been in the game for over a decade as a player, grad assistant and coach.
He has been part of coaching conferences, poly coaching camps and clinics, and has recruited all over the U.S.
That is like saying you wont hire a director because he has not worked in enough companies to have manager contacts. :bangwall:
These users thanked the author inconspicuous for the post:
gomretat

TrueAG

Post by TrueAG » December 1st, 2020, 5:08 pm

inconspicuous wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 5:03 pm
I honestly think that "lack of coaching contacts " is a poor excuse.
If the only way to fill an open D1 coaching job is through personal contacts maybe that had merit but that is not the case. Frank has been in the game for over a decade as a player, grad assistant and coach.
He has been part of coaching conferences, poly coaching camps and clinics, and has recruited all over the U.S.
That is like saying you wont hire a director because he has not worked in enough companies to have manager contacts. :bangwall:
Actually, it's nothing like that. Coaches build their own staffs and a school like USU is only as good as our assistants. Whether Frank has a strong network or not, I don't know but it's a valid concern and I am sure one of the main components of the process is who these guys can bring along.

Donman

Post by Donman » December 1st, 2020, 5:08 pm

and comparing to Frank to Duryea is dumb. I don't think the current players wanted Duryea. You could see the excitement from the first meeting. Remember that awful pic?

coolag

Post by coolag » December 1st, 2020, 5:16 pm

Anthony Calvillo it is.

Regulator of Class

inconspicuous

Post by inconspicuous » December 1st, 2020, 5:19 pm

TrueAG wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 5:08 pm
Actually, it's nothing like that. Coaches build their own staffs and a school like USU is only as good as our assistants. Whether Frank has a strong network or not, I don't know but it's a valid concern and I am sure one of the main components of the process is who these guys can bring along.
Maybe I did not convey myself with enough clarity. I do not think anyone here (message board) knows how strong Franks network is and who he would have in mind bringing in.
I think that is a fair to say with a lot of coaches.
The point that I was trying to counter is that Frank does not have a strong network because he has only been at USU and at Vanderbilt in the SEC for 2 years. I think that is dismissive and not accurate.
These users thanked the author inconspicuous for the post:
BustaMcNutt

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 1st, 2020, 5:34 pm

Donman wrote:
and comparing to Frank to Duryea is dumb. I don't think the current players wanted Duryea. You could see the excitement from the first meeting. Remember that awful pic?
That was the strong selling point to Duryea, current and past players supposedly vouched for him. That was the rumor at least. :noidea:

Also, Frank is a long time loyal assistant, so I don't think its that dumb of a comparison. There are some similarities, but of course that doesn't mean the results would be the same obviously.

I think saying you wouldn't take Trevor Lawrence was dumb. So I guess we are even.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 1st, 2020, 5:58 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 7:43 am
Think young & sexy.

These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
brownjeans

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 1st, 2020, 6:13 pm

inconspicuous wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 5:19 pm
TrueAG wrote:
Maybe I did not convey myself with enough clarity. I do not think anyone here (message board) knows how strong Franks network is and who he would have in mind bringing in.
I think that is a fair to say with a lot of coaches.
The point that I was trying to counter is that Frank does not have a strong network because he has only been at USU and at Vanderbilt in the SEC for 2 years. I think that is dismissive and not accurate.
Not only is this true (we don’t know Maile’s network) -if we were to assume mailes network is smaller due to limited experience outside of the state- the same can be said for any coach in Utah. It’s all very incestuous.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 1st, 2020, 6:32 pm

2004AG wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 5:34 pm
Donman wrote:
That was the strong selling point to Duryea, current and past players supposedly vouched for him. That was the rumor at least. :noidea:

Also, Frank is a long time loyal assistant, so I don't think its that dumb of a comparison. There are some similarities, but of course that doesn't mean the results would be the same obviously.

I think saying you wouldn't take Trevor Lawrence was dumb. So I guess we are even.
Yeah really the only argument for Duryea was that he was the best for the current players. We had a team that returned all 5 starters and many thought Duryea was the guy to keep it going. If players didn't want him, there was no logical reason to promote him.

And obviously they are different guys who would have different results, but there are some similarities. There coaches we could have got with better resumes than Duryea and there are coaches with better resumes than Maile. Removing the interim tag from Maile and giving him a 5 year deal would be a massive risk.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » December 1st, 2020, 6:35 pm

Players don't and shouldn't be making the decision. That is in no way meant to disparage or disrespect their opinion.
If I asked my sales teams who they'd like to be their boss, 7/8 times they'd make a catastrophic decision.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 1st, 2020, 6:40 pm

Can the new coach recruit top level recruiters???? Players bring wins,,eventually, and wins bring FANS$$$$$$$$$

Bear Bryant once stated something like coaching is 90% the player and 10% the coach. I believe most of us have seen enough football to appreciate the reality of his observation.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 1st, 2020, 6:42 pm

2004AG wrote:
So did Tim Dureyea
There's the 2004 I know... you almost had me thinking you'd changed.

There is one big difference - we never got to see how Dureyea would handle things as HC until he had a multi-year HC contract. We're getting a good look at how Maile will handle it right now.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
IdaAg93MaverickAggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 1st, 2020, 7:00 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
KissMyAg wrote:

It's okay to be a cat guy.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
SlumJum

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » December 1st, 2020, 7:09 pm

I want it to be someone like Chuckie. Remember when he was a Freshman and had the "do not hit/tackle me" jersey on, and hit someone anyway?

I want that attitude in a coach. Same attitude we saw with VCU bball team.

Same attitude Coach Whittingham showed when he on-sidesed the kickoff against WYO when Utah was killing them, and WYO coach flipped him the Bird.

That's how I feel right now. Might change my mind later.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » December 1st, 2020, 7:52 pm

I think FM is not afraid to make changes, remove players, coaches, to give best chance for success. The Reeder seems to have been removed from operational purposes with Schramm taking over. I like that move a lot.
I think FM needs the season to see if he's got what it takes. I believe he could do, but I also believe there are better candidates out there.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 1st, 2020, 7:55 pm

brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
So did Tim Dureyea
There's the 2004 I know... you almost had me thinking you'd changed.

There is one big difference - we never got to see how Dureyea would handle things as HC until he had a multi-year HC contract. We're getting a good look at how Maile will handle it right now.
Ha ha. I’ve softened a little. Frank would probably be about my 5th choice but we could certainly do a lot worse.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
brownjeansBLUERUFiO

AgMac

Post by AgMac » December 1st, 2020, 8:44 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 1st, 2020, 7:00 pm
TheAKAggie wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
KissMyAg wrote:

It's okay to be a cat guy.
918Agg agrees.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 1st, 2020, 10:09 pm

Lions and tigers are cats. Both of which would destroy a wolf.

Locked Previous topicNext topic