This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
CrazyAg

Re: Transfer Portal Explosion tips job to Canales

Post by CrazyAg » November 21st, 2020, 10:06 pm

GeoAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 10:05 pm
Canales would likely have no shot if he weren't a former Aggie. Given the state of our program over most if the last 4 decades or so ( with the exception of the last 10 years) being an Aggie should have absolutely no bearing on the decision. It isn't like we are drawing on tradition like Michigan or USC.
Again show me a better FBS resume willing to even consider this job. I'll wait....

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 21st, 2020, 10:07 pm

GeoAg wrote:
Canales would likely have no shot if he weren't a former Aggie. Given the state of our program over most if the last 4 decades or so ( with the exception of the last 10 years) being an Aggie should have absolutely no bearing on the decision. It isn't like we are drawing on tradition like Michigan or USC.
^ this

I dont think Chico or Jay hill are the answer or have a real shot at it.

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 21st, 2020, 10:07 pm

GeoAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 10:06 pm
CrazyAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 10:03 pm
brownjeans wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:45 pm
Every time there's a coaching opening there's a wave of sentiment for former Aggie players and coaches. Remove the association with USU and no one would think any of these candidates are worth considering.
Canales association with USU is the only reason we have a chance at him. Yes remove the sentiment and we have no chance at him. Remember when Anderson used to talk about the list of coaches who told him not to take the USU job because it is a coaching graveyard? Wonder if he still has that list.

Again show me a better FBS resume willing to even consider this job. I'll wait....
Nope. His association is the only reason he is getting considered. He probably wouldn't get a sniff anywhere else in the country.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 21st, 2020, 10:09 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 10:07 pm
GeoAg wrote:
^ this

I dont think Chico or Jay hill are the answer or have a real shot at it.
For now they don’t, beating this drum is pointless

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 21st, 2020, 10:16 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:54 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:47 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:33 pm
CrazyAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 7:15 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 7:10 pm
CrazyAg wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 6:46 pm
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 6:23 pm
So Canales has been the Utep Offensive Coordinator for the past 3 seasons. In 2018, Utep went 1-11 and had the 127th ranked scoring offense in the country. In 2019 they went 1-11 and Utep had the 119th ranked scoring offense in the country. This year they are a little better at 3-4, but have the 110th ranked scoring offense in the country.
Before that he was the QB coach at Tennessee during the 2017 season when they went 4-8 (0-8 in the SEC), in 2016 he was the Associate HC at USU where we had our worst season since 2008; before this one. From 2010-2015 he was the offensive coordinator at North Texas where during that time North Texas had a total of 1 winning season.

I 100% get that it isn't all his fault, but if we were to hire Canales we would be hiring a coach that has only been part of one winning season since he was at South Florida in 2009. I'm sorry, but we can do better.
So winning as an assistant where you are is the only factor? Seems like pretty bad tunnel vision. Does that means the only sufficient candidate we can get is someone on a run at a low level? Why not hire Corner Canyon's coach? Why would you punish him for being at a spot where he is building a program like he is doing currently, and improving it currently? Success is not a function of wins and losses as an assistant. Did you see Matt Well's win/loss before coming to USU?

If you throw out, we can do better, it would be lazy not to have a list with someone who has a better resume, and someone willing to come to USU. Name someone with a better resume, willing to take the job?
I like Chico, he is an aggie and would love to have the job. In my opinion that does not translate to being a successful head coach here. His resume is pretty good, but if it is so good how come other schools in the G5 have not given him the head coaching positions? I think we would be selling ourselves short by just giving the job to him because he has a decent resume and has worked at a lot P5 schools. Unfortunately the ship has probably sailed for him to get a head coaching job. That does not make him a bad coach, as his career has been successful. In my opinion we need an up and coming coordinator or a an established head coach at the FCS level that will ignite passion and energize the team and fanbase. I don't think Chico is that answer. I know you don't agree with that which is fine.
Up and comer from an FCS contender. Like an Arsalanian or a Dennehy? Again I'd just like to see a resume of a preferred candidate and compare it.

I compared Jay Hill’s resume and believe it’s far better than Canales. I like how Utah retained Hill for so many years. Wow, he must have been a keeper. He then takes a head coaching opportunity and leads the team to the national playoffs. I also like that he’s still in Utah.

The resumes are not comparable as Jay Hills is far stronger.

Bopping from job to job for a while is ok, but if you keep bopping around, somethings wrong.

Jay Hill has zero wins vs FBS as a head coach or coordinator
And Jay Hill only gets one or two shots a year and doesn't have FBS resources.
And the last 2 FCS coaches to move to the MW. ( Bohl and Caragher ) both had multiple FBS wins while in FCS.
Why would Jay Hill get a pass on that? Seems kind of important.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 21st, 2020, 10:19 pm

Was it last year that Hill almost beat the best team in our league this year (nevada)? It was like 6-3 or something

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 21st, 2020, 10:22 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
So Canales has been the Utep Offensive Coordinator for the past 3 seasons. In 2018, Utep went 1-11 and had the 127th ranked scoring offense in the country. In 2019 they went 1-11 and Utep had the 119th ranked scoring offense in the country. This year they are a little better at 3-4, but have the 110th ranked scoring offense in the country.
Before that he was the QB coach at Tennessee during the 2017 season when they went 4-8 (0-8 in the SEC), in 2016 he was the Associate HC at USU where we had our worst season since 2008; before this one. From 2010-2015 he was the offensive coordinator at North Texas where during that time North Texas had a total of 1 winning season.

I 100% get that it isn't all his fault, but if we were to hire Canales we would be hiring a coach that has only been part of one winning season since he was at South Florida in 2009. I'm sorry, but we can do better.
So winning as an assistant where you are is the only factor? Seems like pretty bad tunnel vision. Does that means the only sufficient candidate we can get is someone on a run at a low level? Why not hire Corner Canyon's coach? Why would you punish him for being at a spot where he is building a program like he is doing currently, and improving it currently? Success is not a function of wins and losses as an assistant. Did you see Matt Well's win/loss before coming to USU?

If you throw out, we can do better, it would be lazy not to have a list with someone who has a better resume, and someone willing to come to USU. Name someone with a better resume, willing to take the job?
Matt Wells was hired because he was the Aggie OC on an 11-2 team. It was done to keep the momentum going. Otherwise you are right, he wouldn't have got the job.

Success is a function of the whole coaching staff. I said he certainly doesn't deserve the full blame for the losing, but he deserves part of it. I already gave what his offense was ranked with him as coordinator at Utep. Here is what they were ranked at North Texas: 2010 87th, 2011 77th, 2012 105th, 2013 49th, 2014 79th, 2015 125th.

So anyone can be the judge, but other than maybe 2013 he has not had a good season as a coordinator since his South Florida days. To your question of who can we get with a better resume? A lot of guys. I will guarantee you whoever Hartwell hires will have had more success in the last decade than Canales who hasn't had much.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 21st, 2020, 10:23 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 10:19 pm
Was it last year that Hill almost beat the best team in our league this year (nevada)? It was like 6-3 or something
Close games against both Nevada and San Diego State. 2017 he nearly beat Cal.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 21st, 2020, 10:23 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
6-0 loss to SDSU.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 21st, 2020, 10:27 pm

November 21st, 2020, 10:23 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
6-0 loss to SDSU.
Ok, I thought they played Nevada in the last couple years under Hill. Not the first time I’ve been wrong.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 21st, 2020, 10:28 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
6-0 loss to SDSU.
Ok, I thought they played Nevada in the last couple years under Hill. Not the first time I’ve been wrong.

MTAG

Post by MTAG » November 21st, 2020, 10:29 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 10:28 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
6-0 loss to SDSU.
They did play Nevada last year and lost by 9. They had a backup QB in the game.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 21st, 2020, 10:32 pm

Wait did they played Nevada and SDSU last year?

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 21st, 2020, 10:34 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 10:16 pm
And the last 2 FCS coaches to move to the MW. ( Bohl and Caragher ) both had multiple FBS wins while in FCS.
Caragher not only had no FBS wins, he didn't even play any FBS opponents at his prior school, San Diego.

I will give you that Craig Bohl had a better NDSU resume than Jay Hill's Weber State one, but there aren't any currently available coaches comparable to Hill. I do like the idea of poaching one of the Sun Belt coaches if we can, which is unlikely.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 21st, 2020, 10:34 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 10:32 pm
Wait did they played Nevada and SDSU last year?
Yes, both of them.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 21st, 2020, 10:41 pm

Tough order for Weber State to beat SDSU or Nevada given the disadvantages. Yes, big sky teams do upset FBS teams from time to time, but it really shouldn't be a criteria for the job. If his team returned a touchdown against San Diego State and they win 7-6 last year would you all of a sudden say he should have the job?

He has proven to have his teams ready to go against the big boys. We used to praise Gary Andersen for the same thing.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 21st, 2020, 11:43 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
ChowderAggie wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

I like Chico, he is an aggie and would love to have the job. In my opinion that does not translate to being a successful head coach here. His resume is pretty good, but if it is so good how come other schools in the G5 have not given him the head coaching positions? I think we would be selling ourselves short by just giving the job to him because he has a decent resume and has worked at a lot P5 schools. Unfortunately the ship has probably sailed for him to get a head coaching job. That does not make him a bad coach, as his career has been successful. In my opinion we need an up and coming coordinator or a an established head coach at the FCS level that will ignite passion and energize the team and fanbase. I don't think Chico is that answer. I know you don't agree with that which is fine.
Up and comer from an FCS contender. Like an Arsalanian or a Dennehy? Again I'd just like to see a resume of a preferred candidate and compare it.

I compared Jay Hill’s resume and believe it’s far better than Canales. I like how Utah retained Hill for so many years. Wow, he must have been a keeper. He then takes a head coaching opportunity and leads the team to the national playoffs. I also like that he’s still in Utah.

Bopping from job to job for a while is ok, but if you keep bopping around, somethings wrong.

Well yeah because he’s not an FBS coach, so that would check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That didn't stop Craig Bohl from getting 7 when he was head coach at North Dakota State

Good for Craig Bohl.

I’m less concerned about getting FBS wins at Weber State and more impressed with taking over a 2 win team and getting them to the FCS semi finals.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 21st, 2020, 11:45 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Every time there's a coaching opening there's a wave of sentiment for former Aggie players and coaches. Remove the association with USU and no one would think any of these candidates are worth considering.
Canales association with USU is the only reason we have a chance at him. Yes remove the sentiment and we have no chance at him. Remember when Anderson used to talk about the list of coaches who told him not to take the USU job because it is a coaching graveyard? Wonder if he still has that list.

I’m pretty sure the OC at utep would take the USU head job......with or without connections to USU.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 21st, 2020, 11:48 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 9:47 pm
ChowderAggie wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

And Jay Hill only gets one or two shots a year and doesn't have FBS resources.
So you want to ignore everything else and focus on one thing? FBS wins at FCS schools is the only criteria when evaluating a coach ?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 22nd, 2020, 12:11 am

2004AG wrote:
November 21st, 2020, 11:45 pm
CrazyAg wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

I’m pretty sure the OC at utep would take the USU head job......with or without connections to USU.

Yeah I don't mean to insult Canales, but yes it is the opposite of what he is implying. The only reason Canales is attached to the USU job by anybody is because of his connection to USU. Canales is not in demand for any Head Coaching job. He has been a mid major coordinator with subpar results for the past decade.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » November 22nd, 2020, 2:03 am

November 22nd, 2020, 12:11 am
2004AG wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Yeah I don't mean to insult Canales, but yes it is the opposite of what he is implying. The only reason Canales is attached to the USU job by anybody is because of his connection to USU. Canales is not in demand for any Head Coaching job. He has been a mid major coordinator with subpar results for the past decade.

This!!!!!

He makes like 200k and apparently wants to be a head coach.

But he wouldn’t be interested in USU @ around a million a year if he didn’t already have ties here? :crazy:

Wow, just wow.
These users thanked the author ChowderAggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » November 22nd, 2020, 3:54 am

CrazyAg wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:

I have posted this before, but the issue with both Arslanian and Dennehy is that neither had any coaching experience of any sort above the FCS level. Outside of a two year stint about twenty years before coming to USU, both of them had only ever coached in one State for their career, Utah for Arslanian and Montana for Dennehy. The reality is they had very limited backgrounds and likely had very limited national connections. I like the idea of an up and coming FCS coach if he has had some experience at the FBS level in some way, and had been a few more places, particularly where very high level football has been played or is fertile recruiting ground.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 22nd, 2020, 4:50 am

CrazyAg wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

It's not 2005 anymore. USU is not the same job.

As for resumes, pick any name that has been mentioned since the vacancy became open and that resume is more desirable. Yes, even Eric Kjar, the corner canyon high school coach, is more desirable.
Chico has spent the past 15 years fighting to stay employed. He's not a coach who is in demand. He's not what we need.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 22nd, 2020, 8:28 am

Fly to a turd.

Regulator of Class

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » November 22nd, 2020, 9:11 am

I like Mike Canales and remember watching him play. I hope that he and all the candidates get treated fairly and with respect. Beyond that, I trust Mr. Hartwell will make the best hire for USU. Good luck to Mike Canales.
These users thanked the author AngusAg for the post:
Aggie19

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 22nd, 2020, 9:37 am

AngusAg wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 9:11 am
I like Mike Canales and remember watching him play. I hope that he and all the candidates get treated fairly and with respect. Beyond that, I trust Mr. Hartwell will make the best hire for USU. Good luck to Mike Canales.
I highly doubt he is a candidate.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » November 22nd, 2020, 11:39 am

Can you imagine trying to write a press release for that hire?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 22nd, 2020, 12:19 pm

Aggieiester wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 11:39 am

Can you imagine trying to write a press release for that hire?
Yeah I wouldn't envy that person. You have to sell recent success to a fanbase, especially a fanbase that might be coming off a winless season.

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 22nd, 2020, 12:23 pm

ChowderAggie wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 2:03 am
November 22nd, 2020, 12:11 am
2004AG wrote:
CrazyAg wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

This!!!!!

He makes like 200k and apparently wants to be a head coach.

But he wouldn’t be interested in USU @ around a million a year if he didn’t already have ties here? :crazy:

Wow, just wow.
You think they'll be paying a HC $1M in this economic pandemic environment? :crazy:

Remember when Anderson used to talk about the list of coaches who told him not to take the USU job because it is a coaching graveyard? Wonder if he still has that list?

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 22nd, 2020, 12:24 pm

November 22nd, 2020, 9:37 am
AngusAg wrote:
He's absolutely a candidate. And conversations have taken place. That is not in question.

CrazyAg

Post by CrazyAg » November 22nd, 2020, 12:27 pm

coolag wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 8:28 am
Fly to a turd.
Are you the fly or the turd?

1TruAggie

Post by 1TruAggie » November 22nd, 2020, 12:29 pm

Yeah... I pray to God you’re not on the search committee.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 22nd, 2020, 12:30 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 12:24 pm
AngusAg wrote:
He's absolutely a candidate. And conversations have taken place. That is not in question.
If that is true, I hope the conversations are just a courtesy to a former Aggie. We can't afford another bad hire.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 22nd, 2020, 12:31 pm

November 22nd, 2020, 12:30 pm
CrazyAg wrote:
November 22nd, 2020, 12:24 pm
AngusAg wrote:
If that is true, I hope the conversations are just a courtesy to a former Aggie. We can't afford another bad hire.
Canales has expressed interest. Highly unlikely he’s near any point that would consider him a finalist no matter how much one person tries to push it here on this board.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » November 22nd, 2020, 12:39 pm

CrazyAg wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

David Yost for one.

Quite frankly we don't know how many FBS coaches or coordinators are interested in the job. There could be a lot. There could be a little. There might not be many coaching vacancies at the end of the season which means coaches will want to take any opportunity they can get. Point is, we don't really know, and things can change at the end of the season as well.

As for Canales, I'd put him at the same level as Maile right now. Not the best prospect, but has ties and loyalty with USU.

Locked Previous topicNext topic