S&C Coach: 2nd most important role in our program

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

S&C Coach: 2nd most important role in our program

Post by Madmartigan » November 16th, 2020, 8:06 am

We are a developmental program. The kids we get generally aren't as physically developed as many of the bigger programs in the country. Those programs just have to make sure their kids don't get hurt and have to develop them physically less. Our S&C coach has to effectively prevent non-contact joint injuries AND get the kids much bigger, faster and stronger.

I don't have inside knowledge of our current S&C staff, but to me we look slower and weaker as a team. The new HC has to bring in an outstanding S&C coach like we had with Scholz and Bishop.

It's cliche to say, but we have to outwork everyone on our schedule in the weight-room and the kitchen.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
oleblu111AZ4AggieNation

rAggie

Re: S&C Coach: 2nd most important role in our program

Post by rAggie » November 16th, 2020, 8:26 am

Scholz was/is a hack. He may have got results but at the expense of the long-term health of the student-athletes.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 16th, 2020, 8:34 am

rAggie wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 8:26 am
Scholz was/is a hack. He may have got results but at the expense of the long-term health of the student-athletes.
Interesting take. How was he a hack exactly? I know he was a big Charles Polinquin proponent, but beyond that I don't know much. He got the guys faster and stronger, that much was clear.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyAggie19

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » November 16th, 2020, 10:58 am

I agree completely. Hicks has been a complete letdown.

I would welcome Alan Bishop back at our strength and conditioning coach. He currently serves as the director of sports performance at Univ. of Houston.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 16th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 8:34 am
rAggie wrote:
Interesting take. How was he a hack exactly? I know he was a big Charles Polinquin proponent, but beyond that I don't know much. He got the guys faster and stronger, that much was clear.
He believes in fringe nutritional conspiracy theories. He is a low carb truther and fought against ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT DIETICIANS from giving football players healthy snacks because he didn't want them having "too many carbs".

He guest lectured in a Food Science course and brought up nonsensical Bs about wheat and dairy that he either saw on a blog or heard about on a podcast. Some of the sports in the athletic department actively stopped taking advice from him because he was causing damage to players' bodies.

It's helpful to remember that the S&C coach isn't just a football coach, they are there for all of the programs.

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » November 16th, 2020, 4:29 pm

rAggie wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 1:35 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
rAggie wrote:
He believes in fringe nutritional conspiracy theories. He is a low carb truther and fought against ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT DIETICIANS from giving football players healthy snacks because he didn't want them having "too many carbs".

He guest lectured in a Food Science course and brought up nonsensical Bs about wheat and dairy that he either saw on a blog or heard about on a podcast. Some of the sports in the athletic department actively stopped taking advice from him because he was causing damage to players' bodies.

It's helpful to remember that the S&C coach isn't just a football coach, they are there for all of the programs.
I’ll agree with you that Coach Dave often put a little too much emphasis on certain fringe philosophies, especially regarding nutrition. However, I’ll certainly refute some of your claims. Dave was against things like popcorn, cold sugary cereal, and bagels + cream cheese-type snacks being in the athlete’s “Fueling Station.” He was not a low carb fanatic, he was a smart-carb fanatic. Below are some images taken directly from his PowerPoint that he gave to his athletes. As for the weight room, his programs were extremely organized and his staff emphasized discipline and attention to detail which the team is clearly lacking since his departure. I certainly disagree with certain aspects of Scholz’s approach, but calling him a hack is a joke.

These users thanked the author Aggs&Jazz12 for the post:
Aggie19

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » November 16th, 2020, 4:40 pm

In summary: there is NO WAY that Meitz comes into the season this obviously out of shape if Dave Scholz is head S&C coach.
These users thanked the author Aggs&Jazz12 for the post (total 3):
AggieBluesaggies22utahcountyaggie

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 16th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Aggs&Jazz12 wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 4:29 pm
rAggie wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 1:35 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
rAggie wrote:

I’ll agree with you that Coach Dave often put a little too much emphasis on certain fringe philosophies, especially regarding nutrition. However, I’ll certainly refute some of your claims. Dave was against things like popcorn, cold sugary cereal, and bagels + cream cheese-type snacks being in the athlete’s “Fueling Station.” He was not a low carb fanatic, he was a smart-carb fanatic. Below are some images taken directly from his PowerPoint that he gave to his athletes. As for the weight room, his programs were extremely organized and his staff emphasized discipline and attention to detail which the team is clearly lacking since his departure. I certainly disagree with certain aspects of Scholz’s approach, but calling him a hack is a joke.

Seems like Scholz was against processed carbs.. as any smart S and C coach would be. Pretty good stuff in those PowerPoint. Thanks for sharing.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 16th, 2020, 9:10 pm

rAggie must have a relative who developed the food pyramid or something.

As for Hicks, a good friend was in the profession and even was the head man at the D1 level for a time for an old Big West rival. We text throughout games and he has said from day 1 of the Gary Andersen era that the team looks soft and underpowered, something he had not seen since 2008.
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
utahcountyaggie

Hail Aggies!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 17th, 2020, 7:55 am

Looks like rAggie is the real hack

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 17th, 2020, 8:59 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 7:55 am
After he pretended to be the great midnighttrainaggie, that was evident.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » November 17th, 2020, 2:14 pm

I don't know Coach Scholz's personal opinion on nutrition, but I was an employee of the football program for 2 years. There was plenty of white bread, sugary gatorade, potatoes, sweet potatoes, fried foods post game, some pasta. I don't think the players were forced to eat any certain way and had plenty of access to a wide range of foods.

Not sent from Tapatalk

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 19th, 2020, 1:56 pm

NVAggie wrote:
November 17th, 2020, 7:55 am
So sorry for sharing a credible perspective from a professor in the NFS department. Your personal attacks are awesome, dickhead.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 19th, 2020, 3:02 pm

I'm not a gentle apologetic but rAggie is one of us and has been posting here for some time. Can we all disagree without being disagreeable??? PLEASE.... Thank you my friends.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 19th, 2020, 3:48 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 3:02 pm
I'm not a gentle apologetic but rAggie is one of us and has been posting here for some time. Can we all disagree without being disagreeable??? PLEASE.... Thank you my friends.
When name calling is involved everyone loses. "hack" and "dickhead" don't forward the conversation.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 19th, 2020, 3:56 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 3:48 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
When name calling is involved everyone loses. "hack" and "dickhead" don't forward the conversation.
Yep. You showed us the way when you helped willow save the baby.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
USU78

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 19th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Yes, make your slights and insults funny. Like I did.

Hail Aggies!

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » November 19th, 2020, 9:41 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
When name calling is involved everyone loses. "hack" and "dickhead" don't forward the conversation.*
*Unless it's funny
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 2):
MadmartiganTheAKAggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic