Coaching Candidates

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bluegrouse

Re: Coaching Candidates

Post by bluegrouse » November 18th, 2020, 2:57 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 2:20 pm
Unless the wheels fall off neither Hill or Choate will be serous candidates.
Wow

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » November 18th, 2020, 2:57 pm

I can't wait for 2004AG to decry the new HC when they get announced (assuming it isn't Jay Hill)

;-)
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
TheAKAggie

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 18th, 2020, 2:59 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 2:49 pm
MTAG wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 2:45 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
Umm, have you like not watched a single game this year? The wheels fell off long ago! If that’s what you mean by wheels falling off. What exactly are you implying?
He's implying there are some higher profile coaches in the discussion for the job.
Well John thinks there are better coach's. That is not my opinion on either Hill or Choate. I like them both. If either of those guys get the job it will be because John struck out on who he wants. 100% on that.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 18th, 2020, 3:00 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 2:52 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
I can't wait to see this coach that Hartwell comes up with that outmatches the resume of Jay Hill.

IMO, the most important coaching resume builder is for a coach to take over a train wreck and then build it into a contender. Jay has done that.
Yeah, I'm pretty surprised that Hill isn't considered a serious candidate - at least right now.

MTAG

Post by MTAG » November 18th, 2020, 3:02 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 2:59 pm
2004AG wrote:
MTAG wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Umm, have you like not watched a single game this year? The wheels fell off long ago! If that’s what you mean by wheels falling off. What exactly are you implying?
He's implying there are some higher profile coaches in the discussion for the job.
Well John thinks there are better coach's. That is not my opinion on either Hill or Choate. I like them both. If either of those guys get the job it will be because John struck out on who he wants. 100% on that.
Ya I totally agree with you on both of them. So who or what exactly is he looking at?

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 18th, 2020, 3:17 pm

MTAG wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 3:02 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MTAG wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
Ya I totally agree with you on both of them. So who or what exactly is he looking at?
He does not have his list finished yet, at least that is what I was told earlier today.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 18th, 2020, 3:27 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 3:00 pm
2004AG wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 2:52 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
I can't wait to see this coach that Hartwell comes up with that outmatches the resume of Jay Hill.

IMO, the most important coaching resume builder is for a coach to take over a train wreck and then build it into a contender. Jay has done that.
Yeah, I'm pretty surprised that Hill isn't considered a serious candidate - at least right now.
I hope we find the best person/fit for the job. There are certainly a lot worse candidates to strike out with than Jay Hill. What he has done at Weber is wonderful.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 18th, 2020, 3:32 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 2:57 pm
I can't wait for 2004AG to decry the new HC when they get announced (assuming it isn't Jay Hill)

;-)

Jay Hill: knows Utah, wants to live in Utah, took over a trainwreck and built them into a consistent winner. Frankly that best resume of guys I've seen based on that alone. Great recruiter. I think he would have a really, really good chance at being our Stew Morrill of football.

Mark Helfrich/Rich Rod/Jim McElwain: Shoot me now. :bangwall:

Frank: Boring, low energy, zero charisma. Hell no.

Brian Johnson/Graham Harrell: Would love them, but they aren't coming

Lance Anderson: Probably my 1B choice, but still doesn't have the resume of a HC and hasn't built a winner from the ground up.

Nick Howell/Choate: Intriguing

Coastal Carolina/Kent State/Louisiana coaches: They aren't coming.

Yes, Jay is my first choice, but there are other coaches I would be happy with. Honestly, there are a couple I'd probably give up my club seats and watch from home if they get hired.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 18th, 2020, 3:36 pm

If Jay Hill wants the job, he should be highly considered. I get some don't like his style and Hartwell might want someone else, but his job at Weber is hard to top unless Hartwell really has a homerun lined up that I'm not thinking about. The guy took Weber from a dumpster fire to the final four.

MTAG

Post by MTAG » November 18th, 2020, 3:41 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 3:17 pm
MTAG wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 3:02 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MTAG wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
He does not have his list finished yet, at least that is what I was told earlier today.
Have you heard anything regarding a timeline? Announcement? Update? Something?

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 18th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Some BYU fans think based on his comments in the press conference that he wants one of their guys. The ONLY one who should be chosen over Jay Hill is Jeff Grimes as he is the one BYU fans want us to keep our hands off of, while they want us to hire Tuiaki. I could understand Morgan Scalley as well over Jay Hill. There are no FCS coaches more desirable than Hill.

Some people think a P5 coordinator sounds better than Jay Hill, but Jay was at Utah for 3 years of their PAC 12 membership and part of the success that got them the invite. Andy Avalos has been suggested, and he could be good if we get lucky with either Harsin staying put at Boise or them going a different direction when he leaves, there is also another Oregon Polynesian assistants who is one of the best recruiters. Some mention Nick Howell, but I don't want him cause he is just stepping in and taking credit for Bronco's success.

And NO Chico Canales, he hasn't done anything but coached a bunch of bad teams the past decade.

Maybe we can poach another proven G5 coach and are still trying to do that.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if we strike out on Andy Avalos, the other Oregon assistant, Scalley, Jeff Grimes, and all the prover MAC and Sun Belt head guys and got Jay Hill.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 18th, 2020, 4:02 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 3:32 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:

;-)

Jay Hill: knows Utah, wants to live in Utah, took over a trainwreck and built them into a consistent winner. Frankly that best resume of guys I've seen based on that alone. Great recruiter. I think he would have a really, really good chance at being our Stew Morrill of football.

Lance Anderson: Probably my 1B choice, but still doesn't have the resume of a HC and hasn't built a winner from the ground up.

Yes, Jay is my first choice, but there are other coaches I would be happy with. Honestly, there are a couple I'd probably give up my club seats and watch from home if they get hired.
I think you'll be surprised at the pool of candidates.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 4):
MadmartiganBLUERUFiOoleblu111aggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 18th, 2020, 4:05 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 4:02 pm
2004AG wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:

;-)

Is Hartwell's pool more southeast than many people realize, or what would be surprising? I trust him although I do believe Jay Hill could win at USU.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 18th, 2020, 4:12 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:

;-)

Good surprised or bad surprised?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 18th, 2020, 4:17 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:

;-)

Yeah, that's what I mean. If Jay can't even get a sniff, there must be some really quality other options. Like REALLY good options.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 18th, 2020, 4:21 pm

2004AG wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:

;-)

If Jay Hill can win 7 games a year consistently with the occasional double digit win season AND stay as long as Stew Morrill, we'd be nuts to not hire him. Continuity is invaluable and we've really never had it given our resources and fanbase.

sfaggie7
Has thanked: 0

Post by sfaggie7 » November 18th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 7:56 am
CrazyAg wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 1:06 am
coolag wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Chico Canales
Kent Baer
Mike Favero
Frank Maile
Kevin Mcgiven
Some guy from Corner Canyon
Canales has some pretty amazing contacts from multiple spots in the nation. He has recruited heavily in SEC country. He has transfers ready to come if he gets the job. He's coached in the SEC, ACC, MWC, NFL, and knows his stuff. He would also have a pretty impressive staff very quickly. He's ready he's been groomed to do this for 30 plus years. Not a more impressive resume in the nation, who is wiling to come to USU.
I am not flaming here, genuinely curious, with 30 years in coaching and aspirations to be head coach why do you think he's never been tapped as full time head coach?
As someone who knows Chico well I can say that "bad luck" would be a pretty accurate answer to that question. In the early 2000's his career was on the upward trajectory, he was offered the OC job at Florida and Arizona. With a kid playing High School football in Utah and the majority of his family in Utah/southern CA he chose the AZ at the height of USC dynasty. Didn't survive the rough years of getting the kids on campus that they needed to compete.
*Side note that after year 1 at Arizona he was a finalist for the Utah State job that was given to Brent Guy. Big mistake IMO*
The next stop was back to USF where they climbed as high as #2 nationally in 07'. He was again interviewed for the Utah State job in 08' but the job was given to Gary (which turned out great, as he was an awesome hire who turned the program around). After a couple more winning seasons at USF the whole staff was fired when the head coach choked a player at half time of a game. To add to misfortune, the school did it in January which didn't leave a lot of available landing spots and Chico ended up at UNT. Since then he has been with a bunch of losing teams. Even the year he spent in Logan was a tough year, took a job at Tennessee where he had Michael Pennix Jr (Indiana starter) and Adrian Martinez (Nebraska starter) both committed only to see the season fall apart and end up at UTEP. He's a great recruiter, and would make a great HC, just never caught the right break.
These users thanked the author sfaggie7 for the post (total 4):
MadmartiganCrazyAgaggies22USU78

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » November 18th, 2020, 4:33 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:

;-)

Okay, try us Image

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » November 18th, 2020, 5:12 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
2004AG wrote:
BLUERUFiO wrote:

;-)

I like the sound of that! Stoked to hear who we interview.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 18th, 2020, 6:03 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MTAG wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

Sounds like oleblu has been intendly listening instead of talking. Probably a good idea to give him some credence, and no disrespect to the coaches named above.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

seabass

Post by seabass » November 18th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Let’s just do the Craig Smith type hire and get a lesser known, up and coming coach. Total underwhelming hire at the time but a grand slam hire in the end.

I’m on board with Hill, Lance Anderson, or Choate. I’d rather pay one of them 1M than 1.5 to the Rich Rods of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 18th, 2020, 6:51 pm

sfaggie7 wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 4:30 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 7:56 am
CrazyAg wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 1:06 am
coolag wrote:
November 9th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Chico Canales
Kent Baer
Mike Favero
Frank Maile
Kevin Mcgiven
Some guy from Corner Canyon
Canales has some pretty amazing contacts from multiple spots in the nation. He has recruited heavily in SEC country. He has transfers ready to come if he gets the job. He's coached in the SEC, ACC, MWC, NFL, and knows his stuff. He would also have a pretty impressive staff very quickly. He's ready he's been groomed to do this for 30 plus years. Not a more impressive resume in the nation, who is wiling to come to USU.
I am not flaming here, genuinely curious, with 30 years in coaching and aspirations to be head coach why do you think he's never been tapped as full time head coach?
As someone who knows Chico well I can say that "bad luck" would be a pretty accurate answer to that question. In the early 2000's his career was on the upward trajectory, he was offered the OC job at Florida and Arizona. With a kid playing High School football in Utah and the majority of his family in Utah/southern CA he chose the AZ at the height of USC dynasty. Didn't survive the rough years of getting the kids on campus that they needed to compete.
*Side note that after year 1 at Arizona he was a finalist for the Utah State job that was given to Brent Guy. Big mistake IMO*
The next stop was back to USF where they climbed as high as #2 nationally in 07'. He was again interviewed for the Utah State job in 08' but the job was given to Gary (which turned out great, as he was an awesome hire who turned the program around). After a couple more winning seasons at USF the whole staff was fired when the head coach choked a player at half time of a game. To add to misfortune, the school did it in January which didn't leave a lot of available landing spots and Chico ended up at UNT. Since then he has been with a bunch of losing teams. Even the year he spent in Logan was a tough year, took a job at Tennessee where he had Michael Pennix Jr (Indiana starter) and Adrian Martinez (Nebraska starter) both committed only to see the season fall apart and end up at UTEP. He's a great recruiter, and would make a great HC, just never caught the right break.
That's a helluva informative first post my Aggie brother!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 18th, 2020, 7:23 pm

2004AG wrote:
Your strong opposition to Frank almost makes me want him as HC. Seems really sadistic. Maybe I"m a bad person...
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
Sl7vkBLUERUFiOsam tingey

stang

Post by stang » November 18th, 2020, 7:44 pm

brownjeans wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 7:23 pm
2004AG wrote:
Your strong opposition to Frank almost makes me want him as HC. Seems really sadistic. Maybe I"m a bad person...
Hey, 2004 heard through a friend that Frank is boring, that's enough to convince me that he would make a horrible head coach!

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 18th, 2020, 7:47 pm

brownjeans wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 7:23 pm
2004AG wrote:
2004 you obviously have no clue what you are talking about. He’s actually the exact opposite of all of those things.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 18th, 2020, 7:56 pm

2004 is the most negative person I’ve ever encountered.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 18th, 2020, 8:06 pm

Ha ha.

Sorry to piss everybody off. I just don’t see him as head coach material. He seems so dull to me and his defenses are underwhelming to say the least.

But hey, If you guys all like him, that’s cool. Everybody is entitled to their opinions.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 18th, 2020, 8:18 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 8:06 pm
Ha ha.

Sorry to piss everybody off. I just don’t see him as head coach material. He seems so dull to me and his defenses are underwhelming to say the least.

But hey, If you guys all like him, that’s cool. Everybody is entitled to their opinions.

He’s an Aggie through and through and deserves a minimum degree of respect.
Listen to his pressers.
Is he the next Aggie coach? Probably not.
Is he owed some respect for what he has given to our program?
Yes.

stang

Post by stang » November 18th, 2020, 8:19 pm

2004AG wrote:
Ha ha.

For the record, I'm 100% with you that he should not be our next coach and that hiring him would be incredibly disappointing. I just think you're the only person I know who has ever described him as boring or especially zero charisma. Of course, those things are subjective, but I've had quite a few interactions with Frank and from what I can tell that description couldn't be further from the truth.

ususports

Post by ususports » November 18th, 2020, 8:24 pm

I think people on here have a hard time distinguishing the difference between a nice guy, showing respect, and who should be hired to be the next head coach. We can show Maile some respect, and acknowledge that he is a nice guy, but not want him to be the next head coach all at the same time. Pointing out that he has not been a good DC is not disrespectful, that is just the reality. Watch our guys try to "tackle." In case you haven't cracked the code, I used quotation marks because our defense sucks at it.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 18th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Ha ha.

Listen to his pressers.
Yes.
That’s my problem I’ve heard his pressers and that’s why I don’t want him as the next head coach but I certainly l would never take anything away from being a long time, loyal Aggie. I will always respect that. It’s certainly nothing personal, it’s just business. I would love for him to be on the next staff in some capacity other than HC.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
BLUERUFiO

ususports

Post by ususports » November 18th, 2020, 8:26 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 8:25 pm
That’s my problem I’ve heard his pressers and that’s why I don’t want him as the next head coach but I certainly l would never take anything away from being a long time, loyal Aggie. I will always respect that. It’s certainly nothing personal, it’s just business. I would love for him to be on the next staff in some capacity other than HC.
Add DC to the list of roles I don't want him in.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 18th, 2020, 8:29 pm

stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Ha ha.

For the record, I'm 100% with you that he should not be our next coach and that hiring him would be incredibly disappointing. I just think you're the only person I know who has ever described him as boring or especially zero charisma. Of course, those things are subjective, but I've had quite a few interactions with Frank and from what I can tell that description couldn't be further from the truth.
Could totally be true. I’ve had one in-person interaction with him and thought he lacked charisma and then I’ve heard him on the radio and press conferences.

Totally subjective, so if you guys think he’s the opposite of my impressions of him, cool.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 18th, 2020, 9:05 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 8:25 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
2004AG wrote:
Ha ha.

Listen to his pressers.
Yes.

Because of his pressers??? Really??

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 18th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Frank’s problem is he wouldn’t excite the fan base enough and he’s be starting from a disadvantage

Same thing happened to Duryea and it made his job that much harder

Frank has been a great Aggie but he’s the wrong guy at the moment given the nature of the job given what Gary did to the program

Locked Previous topicNext topic