Saturday Scrimmage Report

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aglicious
Site Admin

Saturday Scrimmage Report

Post by Aglicious » August 20th, 2011, 9:49 am

I came all the way from Vegas to watch this so it better be good!

I'll try and do updates of significant plays. BTW, there are more people here than what I had anticipated.

akborder
Has thanked: 0

Re: Saturday Scrimmage Report

Post by akborder » August 20th, 2011, 9:51 am

Who got the start? Ak or ck?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 20th, 2011, 9:58 am

Keeton starting with ball first
Turbin for 6 yards a couple of times
Keeton throws behind WR once, over the head another
Smith with two nice runs- one for 15 or so
Drive stalls at opponent 39 after mishandled snap
FG attempt from 56 yards is no good Hauteur

AK takes over now with blue team
Marshall with 3 carries that don't get 1st down
4th down - Demartino gets first down by hair
Two incomplete passes and short run end the drive

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » August 20th, 2011, 10:04 am

Beautiful pass got fumbled, return for 30-40 yards

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » August 20th, 2011, 10:05 am

Who's all here? I saw gamefaqs

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 20th, 2011, 10:07 am

AK with ball again from own 20 on new series.
Nice pass to TVL- goes for 40 yards before ball is punched loose for the turnover

AK stays on even after turnover
Turbin for 12
AK really staring down his first option on an incomplete pass
AK to Moats for 23
Smith for 10 more
AK with broken play loss
Turbin for 3 on the option
AK to Moats for 3 and TD

BigBlueSteve

Post by BigBlueSteve » August 20th, 2011, 10:18 am

FG kicking looks scary! Too many posts being hit and misses.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 20th, 2011, 10:19 am

CK finally back in
Incomplete pass under pressure
Hill for 7
Incomplete pass on horrid pass

CK given new set of downs to work with
DeMartino for 9
Joey again for 5
Pass to Martin for 10
Hill for 7
Hill for 0
DeMartino for 1
FG attempt 45 is good by Hautuer (sp?)

BTW, Wagner, McClenton, Gallegher, Sanders not playing

BigBlueSteve

Post by BigBlueSteve » August 20th, 2011, 10:20 am

By both kickers.

BigBlueSteve

Post by BigBlueSteve » August 20th, 2011, 10:29 am

Kerwin williams is on the sideline in shorts. I must've missed something about him being hurt?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 20th, 2011, 10:36 am

CK now on own 1
Turbin for couple runs out to the 7 or 8
CK with nice conversion on third down to TE
CK with another nice completion to TE l the way out to the 38

AK's turn now from the 1
DeMartino with a couple of runs for total of 5 yards
AK with a "scramble" for a couple - end of that series

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 20th, 2011, 10:45 am

Kick-off drills now
Joe Hill brings first one back to opponents 30!
Chuck Jacobs brings one back to 50 on a couple of nice cuts
Webb to the 20
Stewart goes backward to return only to the 8 - yikes!

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » August 20th, 2011, 10:48 am

Judging by the posts, it looks like AK has had the upper hand over CK today.
Last edited by AGGZILLA on August 20th, 2011, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 20th, 2011, 10:53 am

AK with news series from 25 yards out
Marshall with few nice runs
Ball reset to 25 again
AK to jacobs for the whole 25 & TD on first play - nice pass to front corner if endzone, Jacobs did the rest

CK's turn now from 25 yards out
TD to Martin on first play - had nice protection

BobWilson

Post by BobWilson » August 20th, 2011, 11:12 am

Is Gapelu (OG) playing? Injured? Other?

coolag

Post by coolag » August 20th, 2011, 11:19 am

He started but sat out the second half.

Regulator of Class

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 20th, 2011, 11:30 am

AK now on new series from his own 30
Goes 4-4 to move down to opponents 20 yard line
Another completion for 5 Ina row to the 9 yRd line
Finally an incomplete pass under pressure - when Kennedy is good, he is good but when he is bad...
Thompson with a FG Attempt that goes off the upright - the third one he has had hit it today

CK now from his own thirty
2-2 to move to opponents 40
Incomplete bomb attempt to Watkins
Keeton on the option for 10
Overthrows Stewart
FG attempt from 50 missed by Hautuer- his kicks are flat as opposed to Thompsons which are more text book
Keeton with the ball back now from where he left off
Keeton runs for 10+ blown dead but would have gone for quite a bit
Incomplete pass toward endzone - great coverage
Incompete pass over middle - pass behind WR

aggiefan444

Post by aggiefan444 » August 20th, 2011, 12:01 pm

For all those who had Chuckie as the starter, not so fast. I have been back and forth on which one should start but Adam Kennedy had one of the best practices of his summer and imo he should be named the starter from what was displayed today. Keeton will be a star and will have lots of success but I personally would feel better with Kennedy as the starter as for the first game and until Keeton takes the job. The coaches have a serious decision to make. Who ever they decide on I will back.

coolag

Post by coolag » August 20th, 2011, 12:13 pm

As long as he doesn't trip on a wideopen touchdown again I am fine with that. They both played well today.

Regulator of Class

AggieIceCream81
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieIceCream81 » August 20th, 2011, 12:39 pm

Just got back in town to watch my first fall practice
Where was Hart? He wasn't even on the side-lines.
I was disappointed in Keeton after reading all of the hype. Kennedy looked more like a D1 QB to me. (my 2 cents)
It will be interesting to hear the outcome after today.

smfdaggie

Post by smfdaggie » August 20th, 2011, 12:59 pm

There is no way that AK scores on that "wide open touchdown", trip or not there were 2 Defenders ( #16 and #36) right there.........I re-watched it 3 times. But he did look good today.

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » August 20th, 2011, 1:16 pm

My two bits on the scrimmage:

o Kennedy outperformed Keeton today; each brings different things to the table; Keeton does not have command on his throws ... yet; Keeton is the better leader, but Kennedy seems more consistent

o our kicking game is Russian roulet, you never know if it's going to go through the uprights; needs work

o punting seems in good hands

o o-line played well overall, generally the q-backs had time to run their plays

o receivers are a strong point; overall there is plenty of talent; Jacobs is awesome

o we're set and deep at running back

o d-line was outplayed today IMO (what do I know)

o we're set and deep at linebacker

o seconday played tight for the most part, but seemed to get lost on some plays

o long snapper was grounding several place kicking snaps until Anderson got on him and told him to "snap the ball!!!"

Overall ,there's the making of a team there, but its going to take two to three games to get on track. 7 wins seems about right

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 20th, 2011, 1:44 pm

with Harts illness I don't think he's in the running anymore and thus is probably being told to get better moreso than to focus on FB. That's just a guess though :noidea:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » August 20th, 2011, 1:53 pm

I got there a few minutes before 11 just in time to see AK go down the field on like 5 straight completions. CK then had his turn from the 25 and didn't look nearly as impressive.

Oy. Who knows.

I just want the QB that will lead us to win. As long as he's a tremendous player, at the end of the day I'll let them do their thing. :lol:

coolag

Post by coolag » August 20th, 2011, 1:56 pm

smfdaggie wrote:There is no way that AK scores on that "wide open touchdown", trip or not there were 2 Defenders ( #16 and #36) right there.........I re-watched it 3 times. But he did look good today.
With all due respect smfaggie, if AK would have stayed on his feet and not scored on that run he should be moved to nose guard. Just my opinion.

Now my thoughts on the rest of the scrimmage for that they are worth-nada.

Quarterback- Kennedy looked good today throwing the ball. Most of his throws were where they needed to be. He looked poised and confident out there. However, if the O-line is not able to provide more time for him in the pocket he is literally going to get killed by good defenses. Translation-he is very slow of foot. But I do feel better about AK then I did in the spring. I thought CK also played well today. He struggled a bit with some of his throws but others looked good. He is much more agile than AK but also a different style of runner than Diondre Borel. Once he keeps the ball he is off to the races unlike Diondre who danced way too much before running. I think it would be unfair to say AK played better than CK in my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong but I only remember CK playing with the 1st team O on three drives which would mean he played primarily against the 1st team D. Obviously the opposite for AK. Having said that I feel pretty good about both players. That's a relief. Coach Andersen will make the right decision.

Wide recievers-Boy is Chuck Jacabos a steal of a player! Very explosive with long strides and has the ability to go up in the air and make a play. Very impressed. Austin and Morrison played sparingly. Martin played well. Things look good to me there.

Running backs-Turbin is a phsyical specimen. Played sparingly. Marshall played well as did smith and demartino. Joe hill was average although he is one fast dude. If we stay healthly this is the biggest strength on offense.

Tight ends-didn't throw their way alot but Tialavea did have a nice reception from Keeton.

O-line-This is where I am torn. At times looked descent and at other times looked bad. Seems the coaches are still trying thing at different positions. Tenney and Schultz started at tackle but later on it was Schutlz and Molina-Sanchez with the first team. Guard were Asisi and Gapelu although Gapelu didn't play a whole lot. I was hoping Whimpey would show more because he is one huge man.

Punting-good

kicking-bad

Defense

D-line-still coming along but I like this group. They play with emotion and are very vocal. I like Lapuaho and Lasike and think they will have an impact this year. Bojay is going to be a big help coming off the end.

Linebackers-Wagner and Gallagher did not dress but we know what they offer. McMillain and Alexander played well. I really like Fackrell even though he is young. He has a nice frame on him and I think he will only get better and bigger. This is the strength of the defense.

Secondary-Hard for me to tell. Lots of guys coming on and off the field. Lawson is solid and Robertson looks good. Sure wish Suite was playing this year.

This is just my opinion but I sure wish the 1st team O and D played against each other. That would give me a better idea on both sides of the ball. Overall I think things are looking good and I know this team will be much improved on both sides of the ball. However this is just my opinion and that means Squat! Looking forward to going to Auburn and can't wait to celebrate in Jordan Hare Stadium after we pull the upset!

Go aggies!

Regulator of Class

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » August 20th, 2011, 2:10 pm

Nothing official but I tend to agree that a decision would benefit the team as a whole ....... but maybe not. Maybe it shouldn't be decided until the coaches are certain. Either way I agree that the QB battle just got tighter today and may have even swung in favor of Adam Kennedy.

http://usuaggiefanatics.blogspot.com/20 ... turns.html

JasonJensen

Post by JasonJensen » August 20th, 2011, 2:20 pm

coolag wrote:
smfdaggie wrote:There is no way that AK scores on that "wide open touchdown", trip or not there were 2 Defenders ( #16 and #36) right there.........I re-watched it 3 times. But he did look good today.
With all due respect smfaggie, if AK would have stayed on his feet and not scored on that run he should be moved to nose guard. Just my opinion.

Now my thoughts on the rest of the scrimmage for that they are worth-nada.

Quarterback- Kennedy looked good today throwing the ball. Most of his throws were where they needed to be. He looked poised and confident out there. However, if the O-line is not able to provide more time for him in the pocket he is literally going to get killed by good defenses. Translation-he is very slow of foot. But I do feel better about AK then I did in the spring. I thought CK also played well today. He struggled a bit with some of his throws but others looked good. He is much more agile than AK but also a different style of runner than Diondre Borel. Once he keeps the ball he is off to the races unlike Diondre who danced way too much before running. I think it would be unfair to say AK played better than CK in my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong but I only remember CK playing with the 1st team O on three drives which would mean he played primarily against the 1st team D. Obviously the opposite for AK. Having said that I feel pretty good about both players. That's a relief. Coach Andersen will make the right decision.

Wide recievers-Boy is Chuck Jacabos a steal of a player! Very explosive with long strides and has the ability to go up in the air and make a play. Very impressed. Austin and Morrison played sparingly. Martin played well. Things look good to me there.

Running backs-Turbin is a phsyical specimen. Played sparingly. Marshall played well as did smith and demartino. Joe hill was average although he is one fast dude. If we stay healthly this is the biggest strength on offense.

Tight ends-didn't throw their way alot but Tialavea did have a nice reception from Keeton.

O-line-This is where I am torn. At times looked descent and at other times looked bad. Seems the coaches are still trying thing at different positions. Tenney and Schultz started at tackle but later on it was Schutlz and Molina-Sanchez with the first team. Guard were Asisi and Gapelu although Gapelu didn't play a whole lot. I was hoping Whimpey would show more because he is one huge man.

Punting-good

kicking-bad

Defense

D-line-still coming along but I like this group. They play with emotion and are very vocal. I like Lapuaho and Lasike and think they will have an impact this year. Bojay is going to be a big help coming off the end.

Linebackers-Wagner and Gallagher did not dress but we know what they offer. McMillain and Alexander played well. I really like Fackrell even though he is young. He has a nice frame on him and I think he will only get better and bigger. This is the strength of the defense.

Secondary-Hard for me to tell. Lots of guys coming on and off the field. Lawson is solid and Robertson looks good. Sure wish Suite was playing this year.

This is just my opinion but I sure wish the 1st team O and D played against each other. That would give me a better idea on both sides of the ball. Overall I think things are looking good and I know this team will be much improved on both sides of the ball. However this is just my opinion and that means Squat! Looking forward to going to Auburn and can't wait to celebrate in Jordan Hare Stadium after we pull the upset!

Go aggies!
I thought it was locked up with Keeton but if you went by today's scrimmage it would go to Kennedy. Like was said in the above post, it depends on how our o-line does. When they gave Kennedy time he looked great. It's always a nice advantage when you can stay in the pocket and look over the lineman to hit the receiver.

I wouldn't say Kennedy played overwhelmingly better than Keeton but he did outgun him. It's going to be interesting. A note of interest is that Keeton did start of with the first team offense so it looks like he had the leg up from practice. I've never seen Kennedy play as well as he has today.

If we get the Kennedy that played today, I want him to start. If we get the Kennedy that I've seen basically every other time, I want Keeton. This is going to be interesting to see what happens.

I also like how Keeton runs straight ahead instead of dancing around in the backfield. If he doesn't win the starting job, they'll definitely have packages for him. I am impressed how vocal of a leader he is just as an 18-year old. Win or lose, it's pretty awesome to have a freshman like that. It shows what good recruiting really does to a team.

Michael Smith is one fast s.o.b. We all love Turbin and his power but Michael can sure find the wholes and get through them.

We're definitely set at

Running Back
Linebacker
Receiver

Everything else is still up in the air. We definitely have the best running backs and linebackers in the state.

BigBlueSteve

Post by BigBlueSteve » August 20th, 2011, 2:33 pm

A follow-up on my question about K. Williams, he is NOT hurt, he was just kept out of this scrimmage to insure he wouldn't get hurt.

General Thoughts On Scrimmage

It looked like the first few series were first offense against first defense. After that, they pretty much benched all the people we know are starters (Turbin, Smith, etc.) and mixed up 1's, 2's, and some 3's. This obviously made for a very confusing scrimmage for all of us fans! Overall, I would have to agree with a report I heard on the radio that The D-line/linebackers are winning their battles, and the passing game of the offense is winning theirs. In other words, the O and D traded hands quite often in this scrimmage. I think we'll be able to tell a lot more about our team in the final scrimmage next Saturday, after a QB has been chosen, and we can see all the pieces of the puzzle put in play at the same time.

QB's

I thought the team "clicked" better when Kennedy was in than with Keeten. There is a certain poise about Kennedy that Keeten hasn't developed, yet. I wouldn't be surprised if Kennedy was named the starter, with Keeten being reserved for certain packages like the wildcat, flea-flicker, etc. This set up would allow Keeten to grow in the position without the responsibility of running the team this early in his career.

hatescougars

Post by hatescougars » August 20th, 2011, 3:33 pm

I know the Qb situation has been fought hard. Those of us on this board have issued opinions, even to the point of being vocal and in some cases rude and defamitory. I only hope that when the coaches make a selection, that everyone will get behind whomever is picked, and support rather than backbite and create a real Qb controversy. GA will do what's best for the team. His job is to win football games, so he's going to do what he feels is right, anyway the selection goes. Go Aggies

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » August 20th, 2011, 3:50 pm

For the record, I don't think anyone's been insulting or denigrating toward one QB. There have been some irrational reactions to opinions, and rather than take the high road we respond in kind and it slowly elevates. But that's been pretty mild.

If it's AK, then yay.

If it's CK, then yay.

Most people have just been trying to guess ahead of the decision, not second guess the decision. Big difference.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » August 20th, 2011, 4:07 pm

My take on the scrimmage today:

QB's:

Keeton seemed to have a few plays where he showed greatness (his throw to x martin in the end zone) but not very consistent today. What i did see in him that i didn't see in Kennedy was his ability to lead. When he threw his TD he sprinted to the end zone and celebrated with his team. When Chuck Jacobs caught that TD pass from Kennedy i just saw Kennedy trot off the field. Honestly i would rather have CK but I think that whoever gets put in there will be surrounded by great talent that it won't matter really.

RB's:

Turbin would hit the hole and get held up while he pushed forward for an extra two yards every time. he will not get stopped for a loss this year, dudes a beast. KW didn't dress - think he was a little sore and as a rule this year when they start to feel this way they sit out of the scrimmage. Marshall is a beast as well. I hope we redshirt him this year due to the depth that we have in the backfield.

TE's

Not much today however Tialivea had a couple good catches. I would rather see DT beat out Lloyd due to the fact that Tialivea is fearless and Lloyd is a little soft. ( I remember Tialavea catching a couple shorter kickoffs last year and running over some of the guys trying to tackle him compared to Lloyd being the tallest guy out there and not winning a jump ball against)

WR's

Unlike last year this is going to be one of our strongest points - The combo between Chuck, MA, SM, EM, & XM is going to be fun to watch. Chuck was going up and getting the ball today - especially in his TD grab where he just stole it from the DB. I also noticed that X Martin has improved this year. Today there was a streak of about 5 catches that he had in a row including a stop and go where he completely burned the DB and scored. (MA and SM didn't play)

OL

Thought they looked really good today - there were a few times that a truck could have been driven through the whole they created. Didn't notice a whole lot of detail in this area though

LB's

Looked good - as mentioned KG, and BW didn't dress. I love the move with Bojay and Koskan. Thought they both looked good today causing a bit of frustration for the OL from time to time. This will be our strongest point this year and the LB crew will be the best in the WAC hands down.

Thought the team looked really good today and excited for game time in two weeks.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 20th, 2011, 9:37 pm

Joe Glenn's thoughts on the QB race:
“Right now you can’t deny Chuckie (Keeton), I think he’s got the quick feet and can make some things happen. I thought Adam Kennedy had a real good day today, I thought he threw some really good balls and drove the team down the field a couple times. He’s got good presence, and is a big, tall kid who can see the field, and he throws a nice pass. He understands what Coach Baldwin wants and go in an run this offense in a heartbeat. I’m saying you’ll probably see both of them in action for the at least the first part of the season, before you get into the throes of conference play, but I think probably Chuckie is the one who can make plays and is pretty darn accurate with his arm on the move and he can make a few more plays that you just can’t coach."
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsususp ... t.html.csp

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » August 21st, 2011, 8:49 am

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Locked Previous topicNext topic