Shelley dismissed

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Shelley dismissed

Post by brownjeans » November 15th, 2020, 10:10 pm

AgMac wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 9:53 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 9:16 pm
Cheecho6 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 7:19 pm
Bond doesn’t appear to be too happy.
He's probably tired of watching his senior season go to $hit.
Seems to be more than that. Bond clearly isn't happy that Shelley was dismissed. Obviously, a very divided locker room.
If so, I hope we do more house cleaning. We need this unit to come together. Locker-room lawyers are no good (at least that's what Coach Anderson 1.0 said).
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
USU78

stang

Post by stang » November 15th, 2020, 10:42 pm

AgMac wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems to be more than that. Bond clearly isn't happy that Shelley was dismissed. Obviously, a very divided locker room.
I must be missing something. Can you fill me in on what Shaq said/posted?
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 2):
aggies22AGinNEIowa

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 15th, 2020, 10:48 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 9:48 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 9:45 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 9:28 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 9:24 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 9:19 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

Any interest on his part in coming back next year? Any indication from the school on how many additional scholarships we can handle?
Although they will always love Utah State, the Colombi camp has moved on.

In regards to scholarships available, as long as no one decommits, we have 6 or 7 left for the 2021 class. Expect whoever the new coach is to go grad transfer heavy over the summer with push forwards.
I meant Shaq Bond and how many existing seniors well accommodate next year if they want to come back over the 85 limit?
As it stands right now, I don't think teams are allowed to exceed the 85 scholarship limit. Therefore the options for high school or JuCo players in the 2021 class are really limited. I'm not sure which seniors are returning for 2021. I've heard Carson Terrell and Marcus Moore mentioned. I've also heard Jaylen Warren and Devontae Henry-Cole. I don't expect senior WR Sean Carter back.
Returning seniors won’t count towards the 85 limit next year.

Thanks for all the updates!
I hadn't heard that yet. Is that for certain?

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 16th, 2020, 6:40 am

stang wrote:
November 15th, 2020, 10:42 pm
AgMac wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 16th, 2020, 7:09 am

AgMac wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 6:40 am
stang wrote:
AgMac wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

I read that differently. That doesn’t inherently suggest that Shaq is being divisive. ( although it doesn’t rule it out)

More so it shows he doesn’t like the media or clowns like me talking down a teammate/friend of his on the internet when we know very little about the specific circumstance of Shelley leaving.

That’s probably fair.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
USU78

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 16th, 2020, 7:22 am

If Bond is in the Shelley camp then he can follow him out the door.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 16th, 2020, 7:25 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 7:22 am
Pump the brakes here. We don’t know the specifics. If Shelley had not been terrible on-field, we’d probably all be scratching our heads on what warranted the dismissal.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 16th, 2020, 7:36 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 7:25 am
NVAggie wrote:
Pump the brakes here. We don’t know the specifics. If Shelley had not been terrible on-field, we’d probably all be scratching our heads on what warranted the dismissal.
That is why I said "if". "If" he is going to continue the same problems that Shelley brought then he can get out too.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 16th, 2020, 7:39 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 7:25 am
NVAggie wrote:
Bond is right in my case. I don’t know anything about it. I was disappointed to see Shelly leave. But I can certainly say I’d be heartbroken to see Bond leave. That kid is a flat out stud. Love watching him do his thing. We need Bond.

#hornsup!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 16th, 2020, 7:49 am

I'm not certain what happened out there Saturday, or what happened behind closed doors, or why dismissal was deemed necessary. I do know that there's a very angry kid out there.

A lot of wounds are self inflicted. Probably this kid's wounds are. Long term, this is really going to hurt him. And that's a d@mned shame. I hope he can find something positive for himself soon.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
taniataylorAggie19

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » November 16th, 2020, 8:32 am

Shelley was the worst P5 transfer to Utah State since Braydon Bell.
These users thanked the author aggiesdotcom for the post:
NVAggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 16th, 2020, 8:46 am

USU78 wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 7:49 am
I'm not certain what happened out there Saturday, or what happened behind closed doors, or why dismissal was deemed necessary. I do know that there's a very angry kid out there.

A lot of wounds are self inflicted. Probably this kid's wounds are. Long term, this is really going to hurt him. And that's a d@mned shame. I hope he can find something positive for himself soon.
One thing I don’t envy about student athletes is how public things can be.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
USU78

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 16th, 2020, 8:53 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 8:46 am
USU78 wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 7:49 am

One thing I don’t envy about student athletes is how public things can be.
I agree, but it is what they sign up for. It can go both ways you can get lots of positive coverage, but also open yourself up to a lot of negative coverage. Look Jason was not/is an FBS caliber QB. While it was painful to watch him play, the thing that really frustrates me was his attitude. From my opinion it always seemed to be about himself and not the team. This was on full display on Saturday when he was berating players and coaches on the sideline. I have no tolerance for that BS.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 16th, 2020, 9:02 am

I doubt Bond would leave. He likely wants to try and get paid for his future efforts on the football field, and losing the rest of this season would hurt those prospects.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 16th, 2020, 10:02 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 7:09 am
AgMac wrote:
stang wrote:
AgMac wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

I read that differently. That doesn’t inherently suggest that Shaq is being divisive. ( although it doesn’t rule it out)

More so it shows he doesn’t like the media or clowns like me talking down a teammate/friend of his on the internet when we know very little about the specific circumstance of Shelley leaving.

That’s probably fair.
I never said that Bond was being divisive. I don't think that he is. His tweets seem to suggest he isn't happy about the Shelley dismissal situation. That's understandable. I'm sure Shelley has friends on the team. I'm sure he has people that don't care for him. My point was merely that there is division on the team. We've heard the same thing from others on the board. I think it is clear this isn't the most cohesive group we've had.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » November 16th, 2020, 10:04 am

AgMac wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 10:02 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 7:09 am
AgMac wrote:
stang wrote:
AgMac wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

That’s probably fair.
I never said that Bond was being divisive. I don't think that he is. His tweets seem to suggest he isn't happy about the Shelley dismissal situation. That's understandable. I'm sure Shelley has friends on the team. I'm sure he has people that don't care for him. My point was merely that there is division on the team. We've heard the same thing from others on the board. I think it is clear this isn't the most cohesive group we've had.
Agmac I think those are very reasonable assumptions.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 16th, 2020, 10:18 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 8:32 am
aka Lurch! :lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Dwigt
Pick'em Champ - '20,'21 Weekly; '21 WTHCG

Post by Dwigt » November 16th, 2020, 11:41 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 8:32 am
At least Shelley never threw a pass backwards

Presumptuous and ill-informed.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 16th, 2020, 1:24 pm

I knew Tom Ponich. Tom Ponich was a friend of mine. Shelley is no Tom Ponich.

He never flubbed a ball spike that I've heard of.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

GrandPoubah

Post by GrandPoubah » November 16th, 2020, 2:11 pm

You have a young man over the summer say some pretty divisive and racial things publicly and he is reinstated to the football team but declined to continue playing and is probably still in scholarship.

Another young man was passionate and may have said some divisive things and was dismissed from the team???

Given the racial issues on the team I’ve seen already, something about an equipment guy, I can only imagine how alienated the young black men feel right now.

I’m not privy of exactly what happened, but it seems inconsistent.

JFW_AGGIES

Post by JFW_AGGIES » November 16th, 2020, 2:15 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 2:11 pm
You have a young man over the summer say some pretty divisive and racial things publicly and he is reinstated to the football team but declined to continue playing and is probably still in scholarship.

Another young man was passionate and may have said some divisive things and was dismissed from the team???

Given the racial issues on the team I’ve seen already, something about an equipment guy, I can only imagine how alienated the young black men feel right now.

This component has been a very big issue this year and needs to be addressed moving forward.

sdiggety

Post by sdiggety » November 16th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Well, I guess one way to handle players that get frustrated with legacy teammates is totally kicking them off the team forever in the spirit of the moment. Instead of a warm bench and a talking-to, just have a sharp guillotine. That way, not only are you even more short-rostered and under-staffed, but you are also left only with passive players who won't call their teammates out. Utah State can be all about losing but being a good sport about it. It just won't be worth watching.

Last year, it wasn't a 1st round QB problem, and this year, it's not a Shelley problem. Peasley has been far worse; and everyone else didn't earn the 2nd spot in camp for a reason. In an alternative reality, Shelley becomes a Chucky Keeton. With this environment, Superman at QB looks bad. It's not a Shelley problem. It's an everyone problem.

Don't even make an effort to catch a ball in the end zone. Have a pass bounce off your face. Tackle only by trying to strip the ball or close your eyes and torpedo launch your shoulder pad at the runner's shin. Let the defenders through so quickly that the QB and RB have instant pressure and no time to think or move. Recruit undersized players and then get manhandled on every play. Have receivers run lazy routes and be scared of the ball and defenders. Have players gain so much weight in the off-season that they look like a sumo wrestler trying to catch a duck in the middle of the field. Have coaches call a lateral running play on 3rd and 10. Could go on forever. It's not just one person. I'm not convinced everyone sucks and can't win either, I think we're just playing and coaching bad.

It might seem easiest to remove any people that cause any friction right now with everyone upset, it might seem easiest to blame starting QB when things don't go our way. That doesn't mean it's the right move.

We went away from the blue-collar tough underdog farm kid mentality that was representative of the school. Moved to a speedy undersized and under-recruited player focus which nearly worked with the quick-tempo offense under Yost. What's the identity we want next? Do we have a way to tap into something like how Coach Smith has recruited some dimes from Europe, rather than just scraps from Utah.

I think there is talent to be discovered on the roster still, some players have a way of stepping up when it's their time. Hope to see AJ Carter, Josh Calvin. Do we have a better LB? What about that poly kid who came in for a snap or two and had great lateral movement? Who knows what else this roster can do if they swapped seniors out.

Hartwell's hire is going to be very important for the future of Aggie Football. I'm hoping we win and get some sweet uniform upgrades rather than become a bottom of the barrel mountain west team.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 16th, 2020, 2:33 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:

Passionate? Are you kidding me? Passionate?

Did you see passion on that field or sideline? Honestly. What did you see?

What I saw was someone who could not care less about the blue and white. I

If it appeared that Shelley was in anyway passionate I would expect it to blow over in a “close the door and cuss each other out and figure it out” session.

He sat in the corner moping around by himself on the bench. He wasn’t going around and encouraging teammates. He wasn’t talking with coaches. He was moping while the game was very winnable.

He didn’t even put on the headset until someone physically put it on him. He looked atrocious.

But maybe that’s just me.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 16th, 2020, 2:58 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:

You want inconsistency between a situation handled by a coach who was fired and his replacement who is trying to right the ship?
Consistency is NOT what I want.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
AgMacTheAKAggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 16th, 2020, 3:00 pm

I think some of you are assuming that what happened on the sideline was the total volume of what happened. I wouldn't assume that.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
Madmartiganaggies22oleblu111

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm

GrandPoubah wrote:

And this is the crux of everything wrong with what you said in this post. You need to have all the details to comment intelligently.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » November 16th, 2020, 3:04 pm

brownjeans wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 3:00 pm
I think some of you are assuming that what happened on the sideline was the total volume of what happened. I wouldn't assume that.
I think you're spot on, brownjeans. I don't think Shelley gets dismissed for the sideline antics. But perhaps he gets called in for a meeting. And perhaps instead of getting issued resolved, they escalated from there.

stang

Post by stang » November 16th, 2020, 3:14 pm

sdiggety wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 2:15 pm
Well, I guess one way to handle players that get frustrated with legacy teammates is totally kicking them off the team forever in the spirit of the moment. Instead of a warm bench and a talking-to, just have a sharp guillotine. That way, not only are you even more short-rostered and under-staffed, but you are also left only with passive players who won't call their teammates out. Utah State can be all about losing but being a good sport about it. It just won't be worth watching.
You seem to have more inside knowledge of what went down than most on this board. Either that, or you are making some very large assumptions about what exactly happened and why Shelley was dismissed without actually knowing anything. Which is it?
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » November 16th, 2020, 3:19 pm

AgMac wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 3:04 pm
I don't think Shelley gets dismissed for the sideline antics. But perhaps he gets called in for a meeting. And perhaps instead of getting issued resolved, they escalated from there.
Or perhaps he doesn't show up to the meeting... :noidea:

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 16th, 2020, 5:27 pm

AgMac wrote:
stang wrote:
AgMac wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

Is there now a nun involved? What did I miss??

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 16th, 2020, 5:29 pm

stang wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 3:14 pm
sdiggety wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 2:15 pm
You seem to have more inside knowledge of what went down than most on this board. Either that, or you are making some very large assumptions about what exactly happened and why Shelley was dismissed without actually knowing anything. Which is it?
Agree with you; plus we saw what happened to the 2015 and 2016 teams when Wells had a very dull, blunted guillotine.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » November 16th, 2020, 5:37 pm

AgMac wrote:
stang wrote:
AgMac wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

Who's gonna throw Shaq his picks in practice if not Shelley? I'd be mad too.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
TheAKAggieNVAggie

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » November 16th, 2020, 5:39 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 5:27 pm
AgMac wrote:
stang wrote:
AgMac wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:

Is there now a nun involved? What did I miss??
reminds me of this. underrated chris farley movie, this. rip big man, rip...

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 16th, 2020, 6:03 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm
GrandPoubah wrote:

And this is the crux of everything wrong with what you said in this post. You need to have all the details to comment intelligently.
Ive gotten to know about 10 of the players when I come up and none of them have expressed that they feel alienated during team interactions, in fact they are quite united. Jordan has had an experience with a family on family day that was all over him but less than a week later saw said family in Walmart that kinda treated him cold but other than that....the team is strong together
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 3):
ShowMeAggieUSU78Madmartigan

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 16th, 2020, 6:14 pm

taniataylor wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 6:03 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
November 16th, 2020, 3:01 pm
GrandPoubah wrote:

Ive gotten to know about 10 of the players when I come up and none of them have expressed that they feel alienated during team interactions, in fact they are quite united. Jordan has had an experience with a family on family day that was all over him but less than a week later saw said family in Walmart that kinda treated him cold but other than that....the team is strong together
Thanks for sharing this Tania.

Locked Previous topicNext topic