Positives from Today

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Positives from Today

Post by 3rdGenAggie » November 14th, 2020, 5:40 pm

Now, I'm not saying this was a good performance by any means, but you have to admit it was better than the previous 3.

The offensive struggles are discussed elsewhere.

The defense was better today, and at this point all I want to see is some level of improvement game to game. IMO, if the offense had been average, the defense did enough to pull out that win. It was a 13 pt game going into the 4th.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Elkaggie

Re: Positives from Today

Post by Elkaggie » November 14th, 2020, 5:54 pm

Good points!
We had way more yards than the previous three and if we catch a couple more balls this is a much closer game. Also it was a huge swing to have Warren make a huge run fumble while fighting fir extra yards and then have them score in 4 plays.

Anyone know what #26 Robinson was playing instead of Jackson or Lampkin? He got beat bad on that play. This was a huge swing in momentum and points imo.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 14th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Positives:

-We certainly have our punter for the next four years.
-The D line played really well.
-Thompkins had a really nice game (should have had two TDs).
-I think it became abundantly clear we need a total staff makeover.

When you set aside the fact that our program has somehow gone from the cat’s pajamas in 2018 to the team looking for moral victories in a double-digit home loss to a middling team in our conference, it wasn’t that bad. For the first time this season, it felt like there were at least a few pieces there to build on for the future.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 14th, 2020, 6:05 pm

This isn't saying much, but it was our best game of the year. We actually got some stops in the second half and it was still a two score game going into the 4th quarter. Scarver showed why he is one of the best kick returners in the country. (Can we please get the kid returning punts now!)

A bad game, but the best of our first 4. I know a very low bar.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 14th, 2020, 6:19 pm

We also created 2 TO’s
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 14th, 2020, 6:48 pm

The crowd was much lowder this game. That was a big positive. 😀😀. Really hard to find more positives then 1 or 2. But I think the crowd noise on tv was louder. 😀

ususports

Post by ususports » November 14th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 6:05 pm
...it was still a two score game going into the 4th quarter.
Brent Guy would be proud! That was always his goal. He never cared about winning a game, but in every radio interview, he emphasized the importance of being close when the fourth quarter started. Good to see that Maile has happily taken the torch from Guy and proudly moving forward with the same goals.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 14th, 2020, 6:53 pm

ususports wrote:
Brent Guy would be proud! That was always his goal. He never cared about winning a game, but in every radio interview, he emphasized the importance of being close when the fourth quarter started. Good to see that Maile has happily taken the torch from Guy and proudly moving forward with the same goals.
I wanted to scream every time I heard Guy say that. Drove me crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 14th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 5:54 pm
Good points!
We had way more yards than the previous three and if we catch a couple more balls this is a much closer game. Also it was a huge swing to have Warren make a huge run fumble while fighting fir extra yards and then have them score in 4 plays.

Anyone know what #26 Robinson was playing instead of Jackson or Lampkin? He got beat bad on that play. This was a huge swing in momentum and points imo.
Lampkin played most of the day. Know clue why Jackson was not playing, but his performances the last few games have been poor, especially tackling. I am fine giving them time to the new guys.

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » November 14th, 2020, 9:25 pm

Scarvers KR for a TD was a big highlight. The kid is one return TD away from the NCAA record. That could be highlight of the season.
These users thanked the author MaverickAggie for the post (total 2):
ThunderAggie3rdGenAggie

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 14th, 2020, 9:28 pm

MaverickAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 9:25 pm
Scarvers KR for a TD was a big highlight. The kid is one return TD away from the NCAA record. That could be highlight of the season.
I just don’t get why he has trouble catching the ball as a WR yet he seems to be fine on kickoffs. I also wish we could use him on deep balls but there is no one to throw it to him.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 14th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Warren avg 15 yards per carry
DHC 6.6

We held them to 3.7 ypc

Why did we throw it 24 times?
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 14th, 2020, 9:48 pm

ususports wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 6:51 pm
Mick dennehy and Brent guy never gave off vibes that they believed they could ever win at usu. That it was even possible. This year reminds me of their era, just the hopelessness going into each week.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » November 14th, 2020, 9:57 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
Good points!

Did anyone notice on that fumble. He dropped the ball right when they yanked his head down using his face mask. Really shocked it wasn't called. He's moving forward then WHAN head straight down to ground ball out.
These users thanked the author aggiesdidwhat for the post (total 2):
bluegrouseUSU78

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 14th, 2020, 9:59 pm

aggiesdidwhat wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 9:57 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
Good points!

Did anyone notice on that fumble. He dropped the ball right when they yanked his head down using his face mask. Really shocked it wasn't called. He's moving forward then WHAN head straight down to ground ball out.
Definitely a facemask and definitely the turning point in the game.

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » November 14th, 2020, 10:03 pm

Agreed bluegroose.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 14th, 2020, 10:07 pm

Also, the other instant whistle on the TD run. Air Force would hardly score or move the ball on short yardage if whistled blew that quick. It was a score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 14th, 2020, 10:29 pm

MaverickAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 9:25 pm

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » November 14th, 2020, 10:33 pm

Really nice to shift to some of the positives. Improvements across the board...well with one exception. Warren and Henry Cole real nice games. O line despite the sacks did a decent job today. Receivers also were able to get separation but the balls were poorly thrown. Special teams were much improved in terms of kicking and returns. Finally saw some physicality from DBs. I disagree that today's game puts FM of of the running. Given the sh*t show GA brought and left us he is actually under a lot of stress. To see the players be more inspired and play with effort is to FM credit. I just cant bring myself to criticize the coaches and players in the wake of GA's perplexing and quick exit. If for nothing else but holding this team together during trying times including the departure of the head coach and COVID FM - the stability that he brings at least deserves an interview and much more gratitude from Aggie Nation.
These users thanked the author Mediocre at Best for the post (total 2):
taniataylorvegasaggie

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 14th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 10:33 pm
Really nice to shift to some of the positives. Improvements across the board...well with one exception. Warren and Henry Cole real nice games. O line despite the sacks did a decent job today. Receivers also were able to get separation but the balls were poorly thrown. Special teams were much improved in terms of kicking and returns. Finally saw some physicality from DBs. I disagree that today's game puts FM of of the running. Given the sh*t show GA brought and left us he is actually under a lot of stress. To see the players be more inspired and play with effort is to FM credit. I just cant bring myself to criticize the coaches and players in the wake of GA's perplexing and quick exit. If for nothing else but holding this team together during trying times including the departure of the head coach and COVID FM - the stability that he brings at least deserves an interview and much more gratitude from Aggie Nation.
Excellent post. I agree with you.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » November 14th, 2020, 11:29 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 10:37 pm
Mediocre at Best wrote:
November 14th, 2020, 10:33 pm
Excellent post. I agree with you.
I thought the OL got (I can't express myself without swearing) slapped for most of the game, they probably should get credit for at least one sack since they got pushed back in to the QB, that was seriously embarrassing.

The real positive from today was I thought after the first half the defense played very well. Any offense in the second half and that game goes down to the wire

Locked Previous topicNext topic