Coaching Candidates

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Re: Coaching Candidates

Post by Aggie84025 » November 10th, 2020, 10:42 am

Aggieiester wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 10:35 am
taniataylor wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 10:23 am
A good HC will have good coordinators and assistants AND let them do their job. I believe Maile would be a great HC because of his recruiting ability, stability at USU, relationship to the players ( and ability to build with new ones).
Technically the O & D coordinators should be the experience ones that he looks for.
If the coordinators do their job, then the HC job is to make sure everything else falls into place.
I think that stability in the coordinators is as big of an issue as the head coach. How many offensive coordinators has Jordan had in his four years? Three? Probably the same number of position coaches too.
You are absolutely right. Look at Nevada and their offense Mumme has been there for a lot of years and look how they improved. Same thing with SJSU. We can't have a carousel of assistant coaches coming and going and expect to be successful. We need to have some continuity.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 10th, 2020, 10:50 am

The reality is very few schools have stability with coordinators. It just doesn't work that way. Occasionally you'll get a Bud Foster or a Norm Chow who is there forever, but if a coordinator is doing well he'll most likely become a Head Coach and if he is not doing well, he'll get fired or demoted.

Go look at Nick Saban's run at Alabama. There is no coordinator stability. Because of their success, he is constantly losing coordinators.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 10th, 2020, 10:59 am

Aggieiester wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 10:35 am
taniataylor wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 10:23 am
A good HC will have good coordinators and assistants AND let them do their job. I believe Maile would be a great HC because of his recruiting ability, stability at USU, relationship to the players ( and ability to build with new ones).
Technically the O & D coordinators should be the experience ones that he looks for.
If the coordinators do their job, then the HC job is to make sure everything else falls into place.
I think that stability in the coordinators is as big of an issue as the head coach. How many offensive coordinators has Jordan had in his four years? Three? Probably the same number of position coaches too.
Yes, 3.
Stability with a HC will trickle down. All coaches and assistant coaches are now on the hot seat as well

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 10th, 2020, 11:32 am

We can't just bring in a new coach and hope he will solve it. We have to bring in a high level supporting cast. I'd like to see some discussion about possible position coaches and coordinators in this conversation. I think it's key we have a massive recruiting tunnel to speed and the Polynesian community. If a new coach comes in with the right staff next year could be fun! we have some great talent on this team if it is used right. If you can get that blue-collar, chip on their shoulder attitude it can work miracles. We know that, we have seen it. We know what we are looking for that is what is different this time around.

#hornsup!

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » November 10th, 2020, 1:03 pm

Matt Lubick is a very intriguing candidate to me. He is a solid OC who has a ton of success developing WR's over the years. He has quite a few connections to the mountain west and the region in general. He is only 48 and from Bozeman Montana might be worth a look.
These users thanked the author jeffdan25 for the post:
Sl7vk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 10th, 2020, 1:09 pm

What I want in a coach:
  • Good leader - cultivates competition, personal responsibility, and accountability. Teaches others to lead.
  • Knows his strengths and weaknesses - hires ACs who give strength to his weak areas
  • Hire well, and let ACs do their job, free to experiment, expect improvement
  • Plays a fun brand of football - no matter the scheme, players like playing an aggressive kind of football and fans like watching it.
  • Build and provide a network of support for the players
    Help players engage with the community
  • Work with the AD to ensure facilities, equipment, living conditions are all good and becoming great.
I also hate "never" and "always." I see a lot of posts with things like "you should never hire a coach that..." and stuff like that. All you do when you use absolutes is create artificial limitations. Hire the best coach (period).
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
ImakeitrainBLUERUFiOAZ4AggieNation

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 10th, 2020, 2:38 pm

jeffdan25 wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 1:03 pm
Matt Lubick is a very intriguing candidate to me. He is a solid OC who has a ton of success developing WR's over the years. He has quite a few connections to the mountain west and the region in general. He is only 48 and from Bozeman Montana might be worth a look.
What happened at Washington? He had a weird ending there.

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » November 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 2:38 pm
jeffdan25 wrote:
I can't say for sure because I don't know the dude, but from articles I have read he sounded burnt out. He was also a 40 something year old bachelor so alot of what I have read was him stating he wanted time away from football to build a relationship. still is strange though.
https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports ... 513081002/

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 10th, 2020, 3:49 pm

jeffdan25 wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 3:09 pm
November 10th, 2020, 2:38 pm
jeffdan25 wrote:
I can't say for sure because I don't know the dude, but from articles I have read he sounded burnt out. He was also a 40 something year old bachelor so alot of what I have read was him stating he wanted time away from football to build a relationship. still is strange though.
https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports ... 513081002/
Yeah I am not alleging anything crazy, but we just made a mistake hiring a guy after a recent "weird exit." I don't know if we want to go down that route again. And it isn't like he is burning up the field at Nebraska this year. Granted it is just 2 games so a small sample size, but Nebraska's offense hasn't exactly been impressive this year.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » November 10th, 2020, 4:10 pm

I put my faith in Hartwell however, please, please PLEASE no more assistants from Utah(or BYU for that matter). I really believe that Gary tried to follow KWhit's formula at Utah and their castoff players. BYU is having a good season, yes, but didn't Wells have one good year after several down years?

Let the National Search begin.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 10th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Dave Baldwin
Bob Cole
Mike Santiago
Alex gerke
Brandon Doman
Kimber Hall

Regulator of Class

AZ4AggieNation

Post by AZ4AggieNation » November 10th, 2020, 4:21 pm

I hear they are also looking at an Oregon assistant also!

Not that my .02 cents means jack but I can later this week, share my thoughts on some of the names mentioned on here...Just my experiences with a few in-person, email, text, phone having gone thru the recruiting last year with Broc and how these men sold their programs, interacted with my son as a player, person, student, etc., plus a few experiences with some of them during visits at their campuses...and such!!
These users thanked the author AZ4AggieNation for the post (total 4):
BLUERUFiOGUSTurtleAggiefan33

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 10th, 2020, 4:52 pm

AZ4AggieNation wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 4:21 pm
I hear they are also looking at an Oregon assistant also!

Not that my .02 cents means jack but I can later this week, share my thoughts on some of the names mentioned on here...Just my experiences with a few in-person, email, text, phone having gone thru the recruiting last year with Broc and how these men sold their programs, interacted with my son as a player, person, student, etc., plus a few experiences with some of them during visits at their campuses...and such!!
Awesome. I would love to hear this. I would also love to hear Your sons feelings towards Frank too.

AGGIEFIGHT
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » November 10th, 2020, 7:25 pm

jeffdan25 wrote:
I had heard from a pretty reliable source a few years ago that when our offense was struggling under Wells. . Hartwell got involved and was looking for a new offensive coordinator to work with Matt.. He looked at Lubick and actually traveled to the Northwest to talk to him. At that time Lubbick wasn't interested in coming to Utah State but pointed him in the direction of David Yost who was looking for job at the time. There is connection there.

BigSkyAG

Post by BigSkyAG » November 10th, 2020, 8:33 pm

Serious question: How many times can Frank interview and not get the gig? Could there be any backlash racially speaking? Norm Chow hinted at racial injustice years ago when he was spurned at the y. Is Hartwell under any pressure from the wacko lib NCAA? The same NCAA that tells Native Americans what they should and should not be offended at.
These users thanked the author BigSkyAG for the post:
jeffdan25

stang

Post by stang » November 10th, 2020, 8:42 pm

BigSkyAG wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 8:33 pm
Serious question: How many times can Frank interview and not get the gig? Could there be any backlash racially speaking? Norm Chow hinted at racial injustice years ago when he was spurned at the y. Is Hartwell under any pressure from the wacko lib NCAA? The same NCAA that tells Native Americans what they should and should not be offended at.
You're asking if Utah State could get in trouble for not hiring a guy with zero head coaching experience, really only 3.5 years of coordinator experience, and only one coaching stop outside of Logan?

No.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 10th, 2020, 8:51 pm

BigSkyAG wrote:
Has he ever interviewed for the gig? 2018 would have been the only time if he did. Gary was the wrong hire then, but maile would not have been the right hire just as he wouldn't be the right one now.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 10th, 2020, 10:14 pm

November 10th, 2020, 8:51 pm
BigSkyAG wrote:
Has he ever interviewed for the gig? 2018 would have been the only time if he did. Gary was the wrong hire then, but maile would not have been the right hire just as he wouldn't be the right one now.
He did not interview in 2018.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 10th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 10:14 pm
BigSkyAG wrote:
Well i guess we wont be punished by the ncaa then. Good, that was a close call.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » November 11th, 2020, 9:12 am

November 10th, 2020, 10:34 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 10:14 pm
BigSkyAG wrote:
Well i guess we wont be punished by the ncaa then. Good, that was a close call.
Correction. I believe they are formally known as "the wacko lib NCAA."
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 11th, 2020, 10:41 am

Any chance we could land a successful current G5 head coach from a lesser conference? We could likely get close to doubling their salary. Some names to consider:

Billy Napier (Louisiana) - I saw them pick off a really good Iowa State team earlier this season and the Rajin Cajuns are good. He's been an OC at CSU and Arizona State and also coached under Dabo Sweeney and that Alabama coach ;-). He's actually making close to 900K so we probably couldn't give him a salary increase, but would be a more competitive conference.

Jamey Chadwell (Coastal Carolina) - Has quickly built a top 15 team out of new FBS program. The dude is doing something right. He doesn't have any experience west of Tennessee however. Currently makes 375K

Lance Leipold (Buffalo) - They have been very good the last few years under his leadership. He also built a WIAC super power at Wisconsin-Whitewater before that. Currently makes 465K

Sean Lewis (Kent State) - He took over a depleted program and built them into MAC contenders. They did beat us in the Frisco bowl last year so he's got that going for him and some familiarity with us (and us with him) even though he hasn't coached west of Omaha. Currently makes 440K

I don't think we have a shot at Liberty's head coach. LOL. Hugh Freeze is making 2 million there.
Last edited by AGGIEinIOWA on November 11th, 2020, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 11th, 2020, 10:42 am

Hugh Freeze is gross. May as well hire Art Briles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 11th, 2020, 10:47 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 10:42 am
Hugh Freeze is gross. May as well hire Art Briles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah I agree. I'd rule out DJ Durkin as well.

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » November 11th, 2020, 10:48 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 10:41 am
Any chance we could land a successful current G5 head coach from a lesser conference? We could likely get close to doubling their salary. Some names to consider:

Billy Napier (Louisiana) - I saw them pick off a really good Iowa State team earlier this season and the Rajin Cajuns are good. He's been an OC at CSU and Arizona State and also coached under Dabo Sweeney and that Alabama coach ;-). He's actually making close to 900K so we probably couldn't give him a salary increase, but would be a more competitive conference.

Jamey Chadwell (Coastal Carolina) - Has quickly built a top 15 team out of new FBS program. The dude is doing something right. He doesn't have any experience west of Tennessee however. Currently makes 375K

Lance Leipold (Buffalo) - They have been very good the last few years under his leadership. He also built a WIAC super power at Wisconsin-Whitewater before that. Currently makes 465K

Sean Lewis (Kent State) - He took over a depleted program and built them into MAC contenders. They did beat us in the Frisco bowl last year so he's got that going for him and some familiarity with us (and us with him) even though he hasn't coached west of Omaha. Currently makes 440K

I don't think we have a shot at Liberty's head coach. LOL. Hugh Freeze is making 2 million there.
I would love Billy Napier but I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell we get him. If there is a single P5 job open this off season his name will be at the top of everyone's list.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 11th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Anyone else getting a little tired of every local newspaper article focusing on which incredible BYU assistant will be the new Aggie HC? Not saying 1 or 2 don't make the pool of candidates but it is like the entire world revolves around their little team that has beat the sisters of the poor this season.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 3):
aggies22jeffdan25Full

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 11th, 2020, 2:50 pm

Aglicious wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 2:45 pm
Anyone else getting a little tired of every local newspaper article focusing on which incredible BYU assistant will be the new Aggie HC? Not saying 1 or 2 don't make the pool of candidates but it is like the entire world revolves around their little team that has beat the sisters of the poor this season.
Who wouldn't want a BYU assistant? They are the BEEESSSSSSSTTTT. Just ask them.

If we went local I'd prefer Morgan Scalley or Jay Hill over any of BYU's assistants save maybe Grimes.

All that said, I think Hartwell will look outside of Utah. I'm all in for Andy Avalos.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » November 11th, 2020, 3:07 pm

I really though Sitake was going to get fired down in Provo. It's crazy how things can change so fast. And, yes, I hate how the media spins everything to appeal to the bigger school market.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » November 11th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Nobody likes Grimes.

These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
AggieArmyusugoalie13

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » November 11th, 2020, 3:29 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 3:19 pm
Nobody likes Grimes.

Good Ol' Grimey!
These users thanked the author BearLakeMonster for the post:
Sl7vk

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 11th, 2020, 3:38 pm

stang wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 8:42 pm
BigSkyAG wrote:
You're asking if Utah State could get in trouble for not hiring a guy with zero head coaching experience, really only 3.5 years of coordinator experience, and only one coaching stop outside of Logan?

No.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spot on, and not intended to be a slam against Frank or other on the board who favor him. . There are just too many experienced, connected, solid, engaging and proven candidates to choose from. Trust John Hartwell to make a fine choice for Utah State.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 3:19 pm
Nobody likes Grimes.

Fixed it for you

These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
Sl7vk3rdGenAggie

Go Aggies!

ArizonaAggie

Post by ArizonaAggie » November 11th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Brian Johnson

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » November 11th, 2020, 7:29 pm

ArizonaAggie wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 7:03 pm
Brian Johnson

No thanks

ArizonaAggie

Post by ArizonaAggie » November 11th, 2020, 7:31 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
ArizonaAggie wrote:
Brian Johnson

No thanks
Why? He knows Texas and Florida and is young and energetic. He's an OC in the SEC.

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » November 11th, 2020, 7:34 pm

ArizonaAggie wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 7:31 pm
JFWAggie wrote:
ArizonaAggie wrote:
Brian Johnson

No thanks
Why? He knows Texas and Florida and is young and energetic. He's an OC in the SEC.

Ute castoff

Locked Previous topicNext topic