Worst offensive play calling in nation...

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AKAggie03

Worst offensive play calling in nation...

Post by AKAggie03 » October 31st, 2020, 7:56 pm

Belongs to USU

--For every Aggie victory, I'm going streaking on the quad!

fivejazzfans

Re: Worst offensive play calling in nation...

Post by fivejazzfans » October 31st, 2020, 8:27 pm

what's wrong with continuously going horizontal on 3rd and short? Tells you all we need to know about confidence in the online. :bangwall:

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 31st, 2020, 8:34 pm

I think we have a serious lack of talent in the passing game.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

bpd

Post by bpd » October 31st, 2020, 8:53 pm

The play calling is awful. We might have talent, but who knows with this play calling.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » October 31st, 2020, 8:54 pm

Oh my gosh! Ya think!

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 31st, 2020, 9:03 pm

I feel like we could get five yards between the tackles every time. Maybe we should try it.

BeNo

Post by BeNo » October 31st, 2020, 10:08 pm

I think it is very evident the coaching staff has no confidence in throwing any middle or deep balls. All short stuff. The desperation ball was the only long ball and only by desperation.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 31st, 2020, 10:10 pm

And I thought last year's offense was predictable.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 31st, 2020, 10:14 pm

There was a reason Reeder got fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » October 31st, 2020, 10:16 pm

It almost feels like they haven't practiced any plays that require a throw over 10 yards

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 31st, 2020, 11:02 pm

AggieUprising50 wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 10:16 pm
It almost feels like they haven't practiced any plays that require a throw over 10 yards
No playcalling in the world can overcome a defense that is good to begin with and has no reason to respect to he offenses ability to complete anything other than short side outs.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 2):
MachismoAggieFBObsession

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » October 31st, 2020, 11:28 pm

BeNo wrote:I think it is very evident the coaching staff has no confidence in throwing any middle or deep balls. All short stuff. The desperation ball was the only long ball and only by desperation.
This is likely due to the fact that we have a short QB who can’t even see the middle of the field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stang

Post by stang » November 1st, 2020, 1:30 am

2004AG wrote:There was a reason Reeder got fired.

Exactly. People somehow tend to forget that we hired a guy who has exactly one year of OC experience, and he was fired by a C-USA school after that season.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 1st, 2020, 1:41 am

stang wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 1:30 am
2004AG wrote:There was a reason Reeder got fired.

Exactly. People somehow tend to forget that we hired a guy who has exactly one year of OC experience, and he was fired by a C-USA school after that season.
Other than 2012, Gary has made some real questionable coordinator hires during his stints at USU to put it mildly.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
AggieFBObsession

coolag

Post by coolag » November 1st, 2020, 6:36 am

It's the fans fault.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
taniataylor

Regulator of Class

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 1st, 2020, 7:14 am

What happened to lining up under center? We saw some of that in videos from spring ball but third and short run a jet sweep???

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » November 1st, 2020, 7:45 am

Really would like some insider perspective here. I am upside down as an outsider looking in. For me losing to BSU and SDSU is not the source of my heart burn. I went back last night to review Reeder’s bio. It is impressive and I clearly see why GA rolled the dice and hired him. What struck me hard was the incongruence between his OC philosophy and accomplishments at Oklahoma State, Eastern Washington, and North Texas all of which included an explosive vertical passing game as well as producing high yards and points per game - contrasted against his current schemes heavy on the run and short horizontal passing game. The question for me ...is he under the thumb of Gary’s desired approach to offense or limited by talent? Perhaps both. I am not losing faith in him given his solid past resume and established philosophy.. he also played QB at Eastern Illinois where he excelled. He is a knowledgeable QB coach. Given his resume JS skill set does not appear to fit well. My fear is much like last year is the utilization of players not well suited or matched to the offensive system they are asked to play in. .Perhaps the same is true for the defense. I don’t seeing firing Reeder or Gary as being the answer. This is a process with a learning curve.
These users thanked the author Mediocre at Best for the post:
El Sapo

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 1st, 2020, 8:04 am

Mediocre at Best wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 7:45 am
Really would like some insider perspective here. I am upside down as an outsider looking in. For me losing to BSU and SDSU is not the source of my heart burn. I went back last night to review Reeder’s bio. It is impressive and I clearly see why GA rolled the dice and hired him. What struck me hard was the incongruence between his OC philosophy and accomplishments at Oklahoma State, Eastern Washington, and North Texas all of which included an explosive vertical passing game as well as producing high yards and points per game - contrasted against his current schemes heavy on the run and short horizontal passing game. The question for me ...is he under the thumb of Gary’s desired approach to offense or limited by talent? Perhaps both. I am not losing faith in him given his solid past resume and established philosophy.. he also played QB at Eastern Illinois where he excelled. He is a knowledgeable QB coach. Given his resume JS skill set does not appear to fit well. My fear is much like last year is the utilization of players not well suited or matched to the offensive system they are asked to play in. .Perhaps the same is true for the defense. I don’t seeing firing Reeder or Gary as being the answer. This is a process with a learning curve.
Great post, i am not sure what the direction was given to him. Gary loathed the hurry up offense last year and wanted more ccomplementary football to help the defense. In the press conference last week they ask Gary what needed to change on offense and he deflected to the offensive coaches and said that he wasn't an offensive mind and that they would make the changes. So I don't know if they're being handcuffed from Gary or we just don't have the right personnel or what is going on but it sure is not pretty.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
El Sapo

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » November 1st, 2020, 8:07 am

I wonder if Bodie was really scheming for Colombi and is having a hard time re-scheming for JS on short notice?
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 1st, 2020, 11:20 am

Well. All subjective. But watching body language at the game last night, to me the receivers ran their routes better with Peasley on the field. Seemed to be a little more pop in the way they ran their routes. And with the expectation of a ball coming their way. And with more depth to their routes. Again, just my subjective observation. Peasley’s passes also had more zip to them.

Running between the tackles was our best play last night IMO. Don’t know why we didn’t use it more on our 3rd and shorts.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » November 2nd, 2020, 4:18 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 8:04 am
Mediocre at Best wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 7:45 am
Great post, i am not sure what the direction was given to him. Gary loathed the hurry up offense last year and wanted more ccomplementary football to help the defense. In the press conference last week they ask Gary what needed to change on offense and he deflected to the offensive coaches and said that he wasn't an offensive mind and that they would make the changes. So I don't know if they're being handcuffed from Gary or we just don't have the right personnel or what is going on but it sure is not pretty.
It's bad coaching plain and simple. The real question is who is/are the bad coach(s)?

I'm watching the SDSU game and I think why aren't we playing a 4 man front on D? Next series we're in a 4 man front. So if our coaches are reacting like I am, and I'm seeing the SDSU offense for the first time, what's going on inside the coaching room? They are seeing things at the same time as me? Where is the film prep? It's pitiful watching our players run around on defense out of position. Yea sometimes they are getting beat by the other guy, but for the most part the errors we are making are unforced mistakes. Guys not where they are supposed to be. Coaching.......

On offense the one good thing is that we aren't running that god awful hurry up. Can you imagine giving the ball back in 15 seconds of play time instead of 90? I really think the offense like the defense is suffering from bad coaching. CMON! we played LSU last year and Love had time to throw so the problems with the OLine is not physical . The offensive line just isn't functioning. They are out of position like the Defensive players. They aren't executing. Do they even know the playbook? How could that be? Coaching.

I don't see any coaches talking with JS when he goes to the sideline. I did see the Logan HS coach pow wow w/Peavey after his series of plays. That's great, but why not help JS? It also looks like nobody on the offensive side of the ball knows how to use JS. This is football. It's a copycat league. Sweet baby Jesus! Watch some JS film from HS and UofU and pick a pro or college QB he resembles and run the plays that team runs.

I think we need an insider to spill the beans on this. It feels/looks like there is some off-field issues going on. This is the full on FUBAR. People invested in this staff are gonna clam up, we need somebody to come clean. Gary's demeanor on the sidelines reminds me of Art Shell when the Raiders went 2-14

Dark times my Aggie brothers , darker than a black steers tookus on a moonless prairie night

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 2nd, 2020, 4:51 pm

BeNo wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 11:20 am
Well. All subjective. But watching body language at the game last night, to me the receivers ran their routes better with Peasley on the field. Seemed to be a little more pop in the way they ran their routes. And with the expectation of a ball coming their way. And with more depth to their routes. Again, just my subjective observation. Peasley’s passes also had more zip to them.

Running between the tackles was our best play last night IMO. Don’t know why we didn’t use it more on our 3rd and shorts.
Unfortunately, Peasley is about as accurate as I am. I'm ready to see what Legas can do. Peasly's running seems like an improvement over Shelley but he makes the same limited throws with less accuracy.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post:
taniataylor

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 2nd, 2020, 4:58 pm

GeoAg wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 4:51 pm
BeNo wrote:

Unfortunately, Peasley is about as accurate as I am. I'm ready to see what Legas can do. Peasly's running seems like an improvement over Shelley but he makes the same limited throws with less accuracy.
I'd love to see Legas play. While I know nothing about schemes and such, it would be fun to see him out there.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 2nd, 2020, 5:11 pm

GeoAg wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 4:51 pm
BeNo wrote:

True, but maybe guys would get open more for Peasley with the defense giving attention to his running as opposed to Shelley.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 2nd, 2020, 6:29 pm

If we're going to lose like this, I'd rather have the QB sling it all over and throwing five picks than never see a QB throw more than five yards past the line of scrimmage.

I mean, at least I won't be bored to death too.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 2nd, 2020, 7:19 pm

Wait just a minute here!!!!! You all need to just shut your big yappers until our resident coaching genius youngbloodaggie provides his insight. Then and only then are you granted permission to apologize for your lack of football knowledge. Losers.

Regulator of Class

Locked Previous topicNext topic