Fans that aren't smart enough to talk scheme and talent...

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
YoungBloodAggie

Fans that aren't smart enough to talk scheme and talent...

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 2nd, 2020, 1:19 pm

...talk about toughness and effort.

You guys need to relax a little.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Madmartigan

Re: Fans that aren't smart enough to talk scheme and talent...

Post by Madmartigan » November 2nd, 2020, 1:23 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 1:19 pm

What are your analysis of our scheme and talent that should cause the masses to relax? From what I'm seeing, the talent isn't good enough and the schemes don't seem to match the talents strengths.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 2nd, 2020, 2:47 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 1:23 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

What are your analysis of our scheme and talent that should cause the masses to relax? From what I'm seeing, the talent isn't good enough and the schemes don't seem to match the talents strengths.
First thing I saw was that SDSU made halftime adjustments that the Aggies didn't make. They punished Meitzenheimer in the second half. I still haven't done a second watch through, but I'd be willing to bet our ILB were out of position on 75% of those running plays. First contact on the Bells was typically made by a safety. Obviously not where you want to see first contact. Once they got it rolling, we didn't have the depth to rotate in fresh players, especially with the offense slowing to a standstill.

The offense is obviously what's bugging me most, but it's also the most explainable. No spring ball, new QB, new offensive pieces, and coronavirus have obviously derailed it 100%. I'm not sure what you do, but "wait til next year" isn't going to appease anyone. The east-west bull (I can't express myself without swearing) on third and short/medium, when we are supposed to be a physical team, is going to cut it. This team needs to stay ahead of the sticks, meaning that 2nd-and-7 is fine, but we've seemed almost too conservative in the playcalling. If everyone knows you are gunning for three yards on first down, you aren't going to get three yards. McGriff and Nathan have not been targeted enough, and Jacob South got his (I can't express myself without swearing) kicked routinely last Saturday night. Drops at inopportune times didn't help either. I'd like to see Shelley roll out of the pocket a little more on designed plays.

The vibe I am getting from this board is that we are hopeless. I'll say that we have adjustments that we have to make, but there is still an okay-to-good season that can be snatched from the jaws of mediocrity. It's not as far off as it may seem, but it's also nowhere close to a forgone conclusion that we get there. The mindless nonsense I can't stand is "Gary seems laid back in interviews" and "no fight out of this team." It's that same defeatist assholery that many fall back on as a defense mechanism from a bygone era of emotional self-flagellation.

Many here will suffer the lows as they've always done, and we will see each other on the other side. However, there are some here that will fool themselves into thinking that abandoning the team now and getting reinvested when it is good again will provide the same emotional reward. It will not. Even recently we've seen that we can have a bad season (hello, 2016) and a coach can get it turned around. We are who we are, and the volatility hits on both sides of the spectrum.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 6):
brossp24thegreendalegelftaniataylorvegasaggieaggies22Chod

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » November 2nd, 2020, 2:51 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 2:47 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

First thing I saw was that SDSU made halftime adjustments that the Aggies didn't make. They punished Meitzenheimer in the second half. I still haven't done a second watch through, but I'd be willing to bet our ILB were out of position on 75% of those running plays. First contact on the Bells was typically made by a safety. Obviously not where you want to see first contact. Once they got it rolling, we didn't have the depth to rotate in fresh players, especially with the offense slowing to a standstill.

The offense is obviously what's bugging me most, but it's also the most explainable. No spring ball, new QB, new offensive pieces, and coronavirus have obviously derailed it 100%. I'm not sure what you do, but "wait til next year" isn't going to appease anyone. The east-west bull (I can't express myself without swearing) on third and short/medium, when we are supposed to be a physical team, is going to cut it. This team needs to stay ahead of the sticks, meaning that 2nd-and-7 is fine, but we've seemed almost too conservative in the playcalling. If everyone knows you are gunning for three yards on first down, you aren't going to get three yards. McGriff and Nathan have not been targeted enough, and Jacob South got his (I can't express myself without swearing) kicked routinely last Saturday night. Drops at inopportune times didn't help either. I'd like to see Shelley roll out of the pocket a little more on designed plays.

The vibe I am getting from this board is that we are hopeless. I'll say that we have adjustments that we have to make, but there is still an okay-to-good season that can be snatched from the jaws of mediocrity. It's not as far off as it may seem, but it's also nowhere close to a forgone conclusion that we get there. The mindless nonsense I can't stand is "Gary seems laid back in interviews" and "no fight out of this team." It's that same defeatist assholery that many fall back on as a defense mechanism from a bygone era of emotional self-flagellation.

Many here will suffer the lows as they've always done, and we will see each other on the other side. However, there are some here that will fool themselves into thinking that abandoning the team now and getting reinvested when it is good again will provide the same emotional reward. It will not. Even recently we've seen that we can have a bad season (hello, 2016) and a coach can get it turned around. We are who we are, and the volatility hits on both sides of the spectrum.
Now wait a minute. This sounds like logic and reasoning. We hate logic and reasoning here!
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post (total 2):
taniataylorvegasaggie

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 2nd, 2020, 2:58 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

These kinds of posts make me wanna share my #1 fandom status with you
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
vegasaggie

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 2nd, 2020, 3:13 pm

taniataylor wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 2:58 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Tania! I didn't know you were someone's number one fan on this team. Who is it? Peasley is popular. People seem to like Shaq Bond. Could be Jaylen Warren, maybe? Come on, don't keep me waiting!

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 2nd, 2020, 3:15 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:

I guess I'm a lot like Coach A, then, who talks about toughness. No wonder we aren't doing well, since he and I both know so little about scheme and talent.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 2nd, 2020, 3:17 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Lets start with Defense when you give up 400 yds rushing it goes beyond scheme, that happens when you get your azz kicked up front, we had kids in position to make tackles they simply did not get it done IMHO there is not a good linebacker on the team. There is one they bring off the bench that should start, my code is not to name player's.so I will let you figure that one out.

On the other side of the ball we must start with the O line there are not getting it done at all, until that changes we will struggle regardless of play calling Gary himself said we are not tough enough.

Now perhaps a little honest talk about who we played. SDS returned 7 starters on the offensive side of the ball and 9 on the Defense from a 10 win team. Hoke is a retread that at one time was the head coach at SDS. When we beat them last season that was the high lite of the year for me. so I hope we will improve and play better against school that are not as good as the last 2. Honestly we should have a real struggle beating either one of the schools we have faced so far, given their location, history, budget.

I do not know if I'm smart enough to discuss scheme, but from playing on the D line years ago it was very plain what was going on Saturday, it did not improve when I watched it the second time around

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 2nd, 2020, 3:19 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

I was only able to see bits and pieces of the second half but I saw a defensive line that was getting manhandled. That was my overall impression of the first half. SDSU just bailed the Aggies out by throwing it when they could have probably run it every down and scored 28 in the 1st half too. It was the attempts to pass that kept it close. The LBs may have been out of position but I'm guessing they aren't good enough or quick enough to constantly take on lead blockers with a 5 yard head of steam which is what happens when your D line is getting outleveraged and I think they are really slow laterally and poor scrapers.. I also noted that those SDSU backs made tacklers look pretty silly which I may have attributed to the quality of their backs if it hasn't happened on nearly every play against virtually every opponent since a certain David Woodward finally got concussed out of football last year.

I agree on the offense lacking continuity. I do think though that any objective observer would note that Jason Shelley does not have the skill set or instincts to become a competent D1 starting qb. The jury is still out on Peasley. At least he seems to have a better feel for the read and is a better runner with better size. ITs clear that both of the qbs that have played so far need a great O-line and receivers they don't have in order to even get to the category of a game manager.

USU is not going to fire Gary before the end of the 2021 offseason so he will get his chance regardless of whether the team improves this year. Given his history though, there's some question if he will stick around for that. If he does he will have his chance to turn it around.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
oleblu111

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 2nd, 2020, 3:24 pm

hickaggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 3:19 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

I was only able to see bits and pieces of the second half but I saw a defensive line that was getting manhandled. That was my overall impression of the first half. SDSU just bailed the Aggies out by throwing it when they could have probably run it every down and scored 28 in the 1st half too. It was the attempts to pass that kept it close. The LBs may have been out of position but I'm guessing they aren't good enough or quick enough to constantly take on lead blockers with a 5 yard head of steam which is what happens when your D line is getting outleveraged and I think they are really slow laterally and poor scrapers.. I also noted that those SDSU backs made tacklers look pretty silly which I may have attributed to the quality of their backs if it hasn't happened on nearly every play against virtually every opponent since a certain David Woodward finally got concussed out of football last year.

I agree on the offense lacking continuity. I do think though that any objective observer would note that Jason Shelley does not have the skill set or instincts to become a competent D1 starting qb. The jury is still out on Peasley. At least he seems to have a better feel for the read and is a better runner with better size. ITs clear that both of the qbs that have played so far need a great O-line and receivers they don't have in order to even get to the category of a game manager.

USU is not going to fire Gary before the end of the 2021 offseason so he will get his chance regardless of whether the team improves this year. Given his history though, there's some question if he will stick around for that. If he does he will have his chance to turn it around.
Good post there is another season Gary will be around next season if you fire a coach after 2 seasons that went to a bowl game his first year and beat a 10 win SDS team. a quality coach would thing twice about coming here given our short comings.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 2nd, 2020, 3:26 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 3:15 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

I guess I'm a lot like Coach A, then, who talks about toughness. No wonder we aren't doing well, since he and I both know so little about scheme and talent.
Yup, that's the same thing.

A fan that doesn't watch practices, hasn't been a college coach for 30+ years, and couldn't find his (I can't express myself without swearing) with both hands (metaphorically speaking, of course) has the same insight to be able to tell us when he is seeing the appropriate level of effort and toughness out of a football team as the head coach does. The other thing, of course, that we know about college football coaches is that they like to get into specifics during media interviews.

I am sure Gary has a big whiteboard in his office with a big measuring stick drawn on there, but he can't get the EFFORT bar past 30%! He looks at it night and day, he begs his players to give more effort, but he can't get that drawn on EFFORT bar to jump any higher. He needs newhouse9, fresh from his day job as the manager of (I can't express myself without swearing) Enterprises to come on over and pump up the EFFORT bar. Why? Because newhouse9 is uniquely qualified to discuss toughness and effort, of course. He is, after all, watching the games on television or live in the stadium. What else could possibly qualify a guy for college coaching?
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
Sl7vk

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » November 2nd, 2020, 3:29 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 3:13 pm
taniataylor wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 2:58 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Tania! I didn't know you were someone's number one fan on this team. Who is it? Peasley is popular. People seem to like Shaq Bond. Could be Jaylen Warren, maybe? Come on, don't keep me waiting!
None other than....

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 2nd, 2020, 3:32 pm

The offense is obviously what's bugging me most, but it's also the most explainable. No spring ball, new QB, new offensive pieces, and coronavirus have obviously derailed it 100%
I didn't realize we were the only ones in America that had to deal with no spring ball and corona virus.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
bluegrouse

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 2nd, 2020, 3:35 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 3:17 pm

Lets start with Defense when you give up 400 yds rushing it goes beyond scheme, that happens when you get your azz kicked up front, we had kids in position to make tackles they simply did not get it done IMHO there is not a good linebacker on the team. There is one they bring off the bench that should start, my code is not to name player's.so I will let you figure that one out.

On the other side of the ball we must start with the O line there are not getting it done at all, until that changes we will struggle regardless of play calling Gary himself said we are not tough enough.

Now perhaps a little honest talk about who we played. SDS returned 7 starters on the offensive side of the ball and 9 on the Defense from a 10 win team. Hoke is a retread that at one time was the head coach at SDS. When we beat them last season that was the high lite of the year for me. so I hope we will improve and play better against school that are not as good as the last 2. Honestly we should have a real struggle beating either one of the schools we have faced so far, given their location, history, budget.

I do not know if I'm smart enough to discuss scheme, but from playing on the D line years ago it was very plain what was going on Saturday, it did not improve when I watched it the second time around
Scheme is not solely to blame, but when you throw talent disparity in I think we are pretty much getting about 95% of the picture.

Was SDSU out-efforting us in the first half when it was 10-7 going into the break? If anything, I loved our energy to start the game. The Jackson penalty was dumb, but I think it was partially a byproduct of being hyped up. I saw lots of effort. You know what kills effort? Never getting off the field because SDSU's offensive coaches figured out a gaping mismatch and exploited it over and over again, then never getting to catch your breath because the offense is giving you 90 second rests between series.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
taniataylor

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 2nd, 2020, 3:37 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 3:32 pm
The offense is obviously what's bugging me most, but it's also the most explainable. No spring ball, new QB, new offensive pieces, and coronavirus have obviously derailed it 100%
I didn't realize we were the only ones in America that had to deal with no spring ball and corona virus.
I wasn't aware of any SDSU players out due to COVID-19 protocols last night.

Also, I'm sure there is no difference bringing back sixteen-ish starters as opposed to fewer than ten when you miss spring camp. It's all the same for everyone, especially when your QB joined the team a month before the season.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 2nd, 2020, 3:45 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 3:37 pm
2004AG wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 3:32 pm
I wasn't aware of any SDSU players out due to COVID-19 protocols last night.

Also, I'm sure there is no difference bringing back sixteen-ish starters as opposed to fewer than ten when you miss spring camp. It's all the same for everyone, especially when your QB joined the team a month before the season.
Yeah, and the QB joining the team a month before the season was a self-inflicted wound. We could have had a kid who's been three years in the system already. :bangwall: :bangwall:

And, let's not act like Shelley is some bright eyed freshman. He's a veteran, he just happens to not be very good.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
taniataylorbluegrouse

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 2nd, 2020, 4:08 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 3:26 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

A fan that doesn't watch practices, hasn't been a college coach for 30+ years, and couldn't find his (I can't express myself without swearing) with both hands (metaphorically speaking, of course) has the same insight to be able to tell us when he is seeing the appropriate level of effort and toughness out of a football team as the head coach does. The other thing, of course, that we know about college football coaches is that they like to get into specifics during media interviews.

I am sure Gary has a big whiteboard in his office with a big measuring stick drawn on there, but he can't get the EFFORT bar past 30%! He looks at it night and day, he begs his players to give more effort, but he can't get that drawn on EFFORT bar to jump any higher. He needs newhouse9, fresh from his day job as the manager of (I can't express myself without swearing) Enterprises to come on over and pump up the EFFORT bar. Why? Because newhouse9 is uniquely qualified to discuss toughness and effort, of course. He is, after all, watching the games on television or live in the stadium. What else could possibly qualify a guy for college coaching?
I'm suddenly very important! Woohoo! I'm just glad you are here to make sure I have all the answers. Thank you!

I've never been in Gary's office, so I can't speak to the whiteboard, but I'll take him at his word when he says we need to be tougher. The offense isn't even worth discussing at this point. Whether it's due to a lack of prep time or whatever the reason, it needs improvement, as does the defense. Gary has spoken to those things as well.

At least we've established that you disagree with me and Gary. Good for you. You win. Hopefully, we'll see you as our next coach.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 2nd, 2020, 4:24 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 3:26 pm
newhouse9 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

Fan policing is stupid. You are right, most fans know next to nothing compared to college football coaches, but we might as well just shut down the message board right now if only people with truly in depth football knowledge comparable to D1 coaches can give their opinion. That is a ridiculous take to attack fans on a message board like this. You certainly were not shy about your opinion in wanting Wells gone. . . and then he went on the longest winning streak in school history. Since you were wrong then, maybe you should be a little understanding about people being frustrated now.

I do give you credit though. Many of the biggest proponents of wanting Andersen back are not posting much these days. Good for you to still come to the board. Many of the people who attacked me for raising questions about the hire are nowhere to be found now. I am sure they'll come around if things improve and I hope they do.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 2nd, 2020, 4:31 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 3:35 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 3:17 pm

Scheme is not solely to blame, but when you throw talent disparity in I think we are pretty much getting about 95% of the picture.

Was SDSU out-efforting us in the first half when it was 10-7 going into the break? If anything, I loved our energy to start the game. The Jackson penalty was dumb, but I think it was partially a byproduct of being hyped up. I saw lots of effort. You know what kills effort? Never getting off the field because SDSU's offensive coaches figured out a gaping mismatch and exploited it over and over again, then never getting to catch your breath because the offense is giving you 90 second rests between series.
Figuring out were there was a gaping mismatch was as easy as it gets. I would think for the most part the effort was ok, but trust me we are not strong enough to beat SDS in the trench's. It is what's up front that is important,

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » November 2nd, 2020, 6:58 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:

The couple of jet sweeps on 3rd and short were genius! But not quite as genius as you
Last edited by ChicagoAggie on November 2nd, 2020, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolag

Post by coolag » November 2nd, 2020, 7:11 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

You're first sentence was all you needed to say. The rest is just fluff. No adjustments is a common theme with Saint Gary. Get used to it.

Regulator of Class

Locked Previous topicNext topic