Fire Gary

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
stang

Re: Fire Gary

Post by stang » November 1st, 2020, 11:15 am

2004AG wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 10:52 am
OKAggie wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 10:43 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 10:28 am
Cheecho6 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 10:24 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
coolag wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 11:45 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 11:42 pm
I am more embarrassed by our fan base.
2006 called. It wants it's lame excuses back.
You are dumb. We lost to 2 top 25 teams... We are Utah State... Understanding that fact might help you. We are never going to be top 25 year in and year out... EVER.... IN ANY SPORT.... EVER.
I don’t think the concern is we aren’t a top 25 team. The concern is we are getting blown out and don’t even look like we belong.
We should expect to compete on the MW year in and year out. Our program should be past the point where we look like a HS team against a college team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does a 30-point loss count as a bigger L than a 7 point loss ? 0 - 2 is 0 - 2
But we're not really talking about records, are we? We're talking about a team that hasn't shown much talent, no creativity, not much fire, and is no fun at all to watch. (Also occasionally stupid -- i.e. Zahodri's drilling the punt returner then grinning and giving the thumbs up. Maybe he thought that since he'd be giving up 15 yards consistently all night, might as well enjoy the contact.) We don't beat Boise or SDSU often, but we're occasionally competitive. The last two weeks we've been utterly uncompetitive.

I'm not worried about not being a Top 25 team. I'm seriously worried we're a Bottom 25 team again. I don't want to believe it, but I've been an Aggie long enough to recognize the danger signs.
Ok.
So with limited practices, very limited off season workout, new offensive system, new Defensive system, new DC, tons of new players in the 2 deep. You can say definitely that we aren't going to get better, or people need fired? That isn't how things work.
It takes time. It takes reps. Some more that others. Yes we have some problems. Big problems. Team speed would be 1st on my list. But they sky isn't falling. I knew all along we would be 0 - 2. What happens next is question.

Air Force is 0 - 2 in the MW as well with a blowout loss to Boise and a loss to San Jose... Are their losses some how better than ours ?
Don't pretty much all of those excuses apply to SDSU too?
They actually have MORE excuses (a new head coach/coaching staff, California COVID restrictions, playing home games 2 hours from San Diego, etc...)
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » November 1st, 2020, 11:30 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
coolag wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
You are dumb. We lost to 2 top 25 teams... We are Utah State... Understanding that fact might help you. We are never going to be top 25 year in and year out... EVER.... IN ANY SPORT.... EVER.
I don’t think the concern is we aren’t a top 25 team. The concern is we are getting blown out and don’t even look like we belong.
We should expect to compete on the MW year in and year out. Our program should be past the point where we look like a HS team against a college team.

But we're not really talking about records, are we? We're talking about a team that hasn't shown much talent, no creativity, not much fire, and is no fun at all to watch. (Also occasionally stupid -- i.e. Zahodri's drilling the punt returner then grinning and giving the thumbs up. Maybe he thought that since he'd be giving up 15 yards consistently all night, might as well enjoy the contact.) We don't beat Boise or SDSU often, but we're occasionally competitive. The last two weeks we've been utterly uncompetitive.

I'm not worried about not being a Top 25 team. I'm seriously worried we're a Bottom 25 team again. I don't want to believe it, but I've been an Aggie long enough to recognize the danger signs.
Ok.
So with limited practices, very limited off season workout, new offensive system, new Defensive system, new DC, tons of new players in the 2 deep. You can say definitely that we aren't going to get better, or people need fired? That isn't how things work.
It takes time. It takes reps. Some more that others. Yes we have some problems. Big problems. Team speed would be 1st on my list. But they sky isn't falling. I knew all along we would be 0 - 2. What happens next is question.

Air Force is 0 - 2 in the MW as well with a blowout loss to Boise and a loss to San Jose... Are their losses some how better than ours ?
Gary did not bring in enough immediate impact players, that is on him, this team sucks, Air Force lost a lot of seniors
These users thanked the author Agzrule for the post:
AggieFBObsession

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 1st, 2020, 11:38 am

Agzrule wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 11:30 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
coolag wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Ok.

Gary did not bring in enough immediate impact players, that is on him, this team sucks, Air Force lost a lot of seniors
Spot on, my brother! :cheers:

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 1st, 2020, 11:48 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
coolag wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Ok.

I think in AFs losses they look they like could beat the weaker teams in the conference. USU in their losses, look like they are one of the weaker teams in the conference. So yes, how you lose does matter. Sure not to the record, but to the perception of the program and the hope of the fan base,it definitely matters.

Go Aggies!

coolag

Post by coolag » November 1st, 2020, 11:57 am

We just might go o-fer and BYU just might go undefeated.

2020 = the gift that that keeps on giving.

Regulator of Class

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 1st, 2020, 12:16 pm

coolag wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 11:57 am

:disappointed: :disappointed: :disappointed: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » November 1st, 2020, 12:28 pm

coolag wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 11:57 am

Yup and they're doing it against the 91st ranked schedule out of 130. I know it doesn't matter, a win is a win, it's just for perspective. Further perspective, thus far USUs SOS is 39th in the nation. Yes, we have major issues and I'm not discounting that, but it's not like we've had the easiest stretch of schedule for a team to build something on.

Go Aggies!

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 1st, 2020, 1:06 pm

For decades I had been against the “fire the coach” mantra. Probably feared going back to The Dave Arslainian power punt train wreck. You would have wanted to keep Brent Guy if you’d been through Arslainian. Right now my scar tissue is screaming if we don’t find a better coaching staff we are headed to the bottom fast. We still have great facilities and can attract an up and coming talented coach. Our players deserve better. I suppose ditching Columbi for Shelly says everything we need to know. Sadly Gary isn’t a shadow of his former self and that’s the truth. After watching to the bitter end last night Our goal must be to find a new coach.

#hornsup!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 1st, 2020, 2:14 pm

2004AG wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 11:10 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
coolag wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Ok.

Every team has faced adversity and is dealing with problems related to COVID-19. i don't think it is fair to say that we have experienced more issues than other teams. California had some of the biggest restrictions as anybody and look how SDSU and SJSU look. I don't feel like we can use this as a crutch.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 1st, 2020, 2:57 pm

Gary does seem to have lost the fire in his belly but that was very true last year as well. That being said, I am not going to throw in the towel on Gary and the team based upon BSU and SDSU. Let's see what happens for the remaining schedule. Loosing HC hurt but that is what it is at this point. At the end of last season I said this year seemed like a rebuilding year and got taken to task for saying it but that still appears to be true in my mind. What I am looking for is fire in the players and a team that doesn't quit. Go Aggies.

And I hope BSU and SDSU show up big time when they play the Cougies.

ususports

Post by ususports » November 1st, 2020, 3:01 pm

gomretat wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 2:57 pm
Loosing HC hurt but that is what it is at this point.
If people stretch correctly, it isn’t supposed to hurt. If he is trying to loosen his muscles and is getting hurt in the process, he should work with a better trainer. Maybe that is why he left.

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » November 1st, 2020, 3:25 pm

Perhaps GA and BR are not so bad and may be grappling with the same Mississippi State issues?

“Yes, 24-2. Leach’s heralded Air Raid offense failed to score a single point despite throwing the ball a whopping 70 times. Those attempts — 55 from Week 1 hero K.J. Costello and freshman Will Rogers — went for a total of 275 yards with six interceptions.

The only points MSU put on the board came via a safety in the third quarter. Ugly, ugly, ugly.”

ML is talking roster purge!

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 1st, 2020, 3:40 pm

As to fire Gary now well ok, but who is going to pay the $2 million needed ? As far as we should be as good as SDS well they have a very nice location with a lot of people and no other College or Pro team to compete with, they also are building a $300 million dollar football stadium do we have any building at USU that cost that much ? They also have a much bigger budget.

I do have a lot of concern with the loss on that level.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 1st, 2020, 4:03 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 3:40 pm
As to fire Gary now well ok, but who is going to pay the $2 million needed ? As far as we should be as good as SDS well they have a very nice location with a lot of people and no other College or Pro team to compete with, they also are building a $300 million dollar football stadium do we have any building at USU that cost that much ? They also have a much bigger budget.

This is exactly true although Gary needs a chance to fix this, if he can't get it done by the end of next year than hard decisions would need to be made.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 1st, 2020, 4:07 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 4:03 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

This is exactly true although Gary needs a chance to fix this, if he can't get it done by the end of next year than hard decisions would need to be made.
Yep. He'll get 3 years. That isn't just an opinion of what he deserves, it is just what will happen. I certainly understand the frustration. Hopefully the team will ease our frustration Thursday night. I do think if nothing else our offense will flow a bit better against Nevada.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 1st, 2020, 4:14 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 4:07 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

Yep. He'll get 3 years. That isn't just an opinion of what he deserves, it is just what will happen. I certainly understand the frustration. Hopefully the team will ease our frustration Thursday night. I do think if nothing else our offense will flow a bit better against Nevada.
I hope the offense is better. i worry about our defense being able to stop them. Their passing game so far has been really potent.

stang

Post by stang » November 1st, 2020, 4:50 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

You’re right, he could go 0-8 next year and winless next year as well and the AD simply can’t afford to buy him out. In a normal situation if things got bad enough they might be able to pony up the money, but with COVID already decimating their budget it’s just not an option.

I’ve already been very vocal that I don’t think Gary has what it takes to get things back on track, so my main hope right now is that he doesn’t take the program to a point that is beyond repair by that point. Being bad (3, 4 win seasons) is one thing, being horrendous is another. Getting decimated like USU has in 5 of their last 9 games sheds an entirely different light on the program than being competitive but just not quite there.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 1st, 2020, 5:10 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 4:14 pm
November 1st, 2020, 4:07 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

I hope the offense is better. i worry about our defense being able to stop them. Their passing game so far has been really potent.
That is my fear as well. I believe we'll put up more points, but the defense is a big worry against their passing attack. Where is Nevin Lawson when you need him?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 1st, 2020, 5:14 pm

stang wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 4:50 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

You’re right, he could go 0-8 next year and winless next year as well and the AD simply can’t afford to buy him out. In a normal situation if things got bad enough they might be able to pony up the money, but with COVID already decimating their budget it’s just not an option.

I’ve already been very vocal that I don’t think Gary has what it takes to get things back on track, so my main hope right now is that he doesn’t take the program to a point that is beyond repair by that point. Being bad (3, 4 win seasons) is one thing, being horrendous is another. Getting decimated like USU has in 5 of their last 9 games sheds an entirely different light on the program than being competitive but just not quite there.
Yeah there is a better chance of Gary quitting out of frustration than there is of him getting prematurely fired. I questioned the hire and it certainly hasn't been smooth sailing so far. I just want to see improvement for the rest of the year. If Shelley shows no improvement, I want to hear about a big QB recruit coming in that will ease the fear of the future.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » November 1st, 2020, 5:42 pm

Couple of questions:

1) When does Hartwell step in and have a heart to heart discussion like he did with Wells a few years ago after our 3 win season?

2) Does Gary remember how much energy he had to put into things back his first time around to have the success he did?

3) Does Gary realize this is not a job he can ride into the sunset if the team does not win?

Gary’s attitude is different this time I feel. The first time around he was driven to create a Boise like program and it was contagious. There were no limits. Now I feel like since he has been to Wisconsin and seen that world, Utah State has limits and we should all be fine with mediocrity because that is the level of program we are. There isn’t the drive to excel to that next level like the first time around.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 1st, 2020, 6:13 pm

stang wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 11:15 am
2004AG wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
coolag wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Ok.

They actually have MORE excuses (a new head coach/coaching staff, California COVID restrictions, playing home games 2 hours from San Diego, etc...)

College football has been and will always be about returning experience. Teams with a lot of return players on the 2 deep do well. Teams that dont struggle. Covid has amplified that fact. Look at Air Force, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, and Utah will struggle too.

We had 53 new players last year and a bunch this year. When you have young guys you need reps. We had the worst time slot bowl game ever last Dec too. We only used 6 practices I think. Then no spring ball for a young team.

We will be fine. Just let it develop. Give it minute

stang

Post by stang » November 1st, 2020, 6:31 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
coolag wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Ok.

College football has been and will always be about returning experience. Teams with a lot of return players on the 2 deep do well. Teams that dont struggle. Covid has amplified that fact. Look at Air Force, Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, and Utah will struggle too.

We had 53 new players last year and a bunch this year. When you have young guys you need reps. We had the worst time slot bowl game ever last Dec too. We only used 6 practices I think. Then no spring ball for a young team.

Ok sure, but my concerns are not purely about these first two games. My concerns are also about getting blown out of the water multiple times last season and watching some really disturbing trends develop both during last season and the off-season. Yes, this is a young team. That’s not an excuse for having one of the most unimaginative offenses I’ve ever seen and players having absolutely no fire.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » November 1st, 2020, 6:33 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 6:13 pm
stang wrote:
2004AG wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
coolag wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Ok.

I don’t see many “new” players, I see mostly players that played last year, this excuse doesn’t fly

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 2nd, 2020, 12:06 am

2004AG wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 11:10 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
coolag wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Ok.

Bingo....and even a step further...SDSU couldn't even gather or practice when the Ags originally did due to CA state mandates in place. They have a new head coach and coordinators, had to practice far from their campus, and still looked like they were in midseason form just like BSU did last week. I reallly feel like this season, more than any other, will be a reflection of a staff's preparedness and dedication to have their team ready to play. Our staff got caught with their pants down.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » November 2nd, 2020, 7:59 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
coolag wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Ok.

Again: I'm not talking about records, whether ours, Air Force's, or anyone's. And I haven't said that Gary needs fired. But you can watch our two games and see that we're nowhere near the performance we've had most seasons in the past 10 years. And you can watch AFA's games and see that they are getting closer. I sat through every freezing second of that sh!tshow in Colorado Springs last year, maybe the most utter domination we've ever experienced in an MWC game. Sad fact: that Aggie team was better than this one.

I'm more than eager to be proven wrong as the season goes on. I want to be wrong. But Gary's a veteran coach by now, and he doesn't need to have excuses made for him.

Nobody here knows anything.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 2nd, 2020, 8:12 am

OKAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 7:59 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
coolag wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Ok.

Again: I'm not talking about records, whether ours, Air Force's, or anyone's. And I haven't said that Gary needs fired. But you can watch our two games and see that we're nowhere near the performance we've had most seasons in the past 10 years. And you can watch AFA's games and see that they are getting closer. I sat through every freezing second of that sh!tshow in Colorado Springs last year, maybe the most utter domination we've ever experienced in an MWC game. Sad fact: that Aggie team was better than this one.

I'm more than eager to be proven wrong as the season goes on. I want to be wrong. But Gary's a veteran coach by now, and he doesn't need to have excuses made for him.
AF rushed for 415 yards and passed for 69 and put up 30 points against Boise with over 30 players opting out. What we are seeing is exactly what’s been mentioned on other threads. Our coaches got caught with their pants down.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 2nd, 2020, 8:32 am

Elkaggie wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 7:59 am
MWCFAN12 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:
coolag wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Ok.

AF rushed for 415 yards and passed for 69 and put up 30 points against Boise with over 30 players opting out. What we are seeing is exactly what’s been mentioned on other threads. Our coaches got caught with their pants down.
The awesome thing is our new vaunted QB passed for a whopping 23 more yards than Air Force, so we have that going for us.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 2nd, 2020, 8:47 am

I'm not happy with the way the team looks right now, but it is difficult to pull the trigger to fire anybody in a year like this IMO.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 2nd, 2020, 9:22 am

November 1st, 2020, 5:14 pm
stang wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

Yeah there is a better chance of Gary quitting out of frustration than there is of him getting prematurely fired. I questioned the hire and it certainly hasn't been smooth sailing so far. I just want to see improvement for the rest of the year. If Shelley shows no improvement, I want to hear about a big QB recruit coming in that will ease the fear of the future.
We struck out on all our QB targets and were way too late to the party for Jaxson Dart from Corner Canyon.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 2nd, 2020, 10:49 am

aggies22 wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 9:22 am
stang wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

We struck out on all our QB targets and were way too late to the party for Jaxson Dart from Corner Canyon.
We were Jaxson's third FBS offer, and beat all P5 teams to offering him (albeit just barely). It wasn't just us that missed the timing on Jaxson, everyone did. He's had a mercurial rise this year as he's played incredibly. Even if we'd offered this past spring, we'd likely be on the outside looking in with him.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
oleblu111

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 2nd, 2020, 12:56 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 10:49 am
aggies22 wrote:
stang wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

We were Jaxson's third FBS offer, and beat all P5 teams to offering him (albeit just barely). It wasn't just us that missed the timing on Jaxson, everyone did. He's had a mercurial rise this year as he's played incredibly. Even if we'd offered this past spring, we'd likely be on the outside looking in with him.
Had we offered following his junior season, we would have been in much better position to sign him. That's a fact.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 2nd, 2020, 1:13 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 12:56 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
stang wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

Had we offered following his junior season, we would have been in much better position to sign him. That's a fact.
No one offered to sign him following his junior season, including BYU. Did we miss the window? Sure. Can we expect to hit on every single guy before their senior year? Of course not. The same reason we can't offer a guy like this late is the same reason we might miss on him or incorrectly assess him to begin with.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 2nd, 2020, 1:37 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 1:13 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 12:56 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
stang wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:

No one offered to sign him following his junior season, including BYU. Did we miss the window? Sure. Can we expect to hit on every single guy before their senior year? Of course not. The same reason we can't offer a guy like this late is the same reason we might miss on him or incorrectly assess him to begin with.
Nothing about Jaxson's ability to play QB changed from his junior to his senior year. Especially when we offered him following his first game of the 2020 season. I don't give a damn who byu did or didn't offer. We should have offered him in the spring but we didn't. We waited until we struck out on 6 guys and THEN offered him. In a day and age where most schools only take one QB per recruiting cycle, had we offered Jaxson early, we would have had a much better chance at securing a verbal commitment. I know how much he liked Utah State, I worked with him on creating his 247sports profile.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » November 2nd, 2020, 2:23 pm

That's a shame. I can't see this season playing out well...what is the harm in seeing what Legas can do at QB? We need some type of spark on offense. Of course, if play-calling doesn't improve, what's the point. Watching that game on Saturday, I thought we were back in some other era, Leon Jackson or some other terrible offense. It was just traumatic to see how far we've fallen. I know it was BSU and SDSU, and I had hope after the second half at BSU...perhaps they'll square things up.

Just put Frank in charge...something big has to change. The culture seems to have degraded over the last two years.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
brownjeans

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » November 2nd, 2020, 2:25 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 1:37 pm
Nothing about Jaxson's ability to play QB changed from his junior to his senior year. Especially when we offered him following his first game of the 2020 season. I don't give a damn who byu did or didn't offer. We should have offered him in the spring but we didn't. We waited until we struck out on 6 guys and THEN offered him. In a day and age where most schools only take one QB per recruiting cycle, had we offered Jaxson early, we would have had a much better chance at securing a verbal commitment. I know how much he liked Utah State, I worked with him on creating his 247sports profile.
We were not alone in our assessment to wait on him. Everyone did. Sometimes you have to be okay with missing on a kid if you aren't comfortable with offering early. Whether or not he liked Utah State at the time doesn't dictate our comfort level with offering him. If the preference hierarchy had Jaxson seventh in line, that's obviously an error, but an error that 130 FBS teams would have agreed with at the time.

As for verbal commitments, those aren't worth the Twitter ink they're printed on. We could find ourselves in this exact same situation (on the outside looking in) even if he'd verbally committed this summer. Don't believe me, ask:

Nick Session, Upton Stout, Dadrion Taylor, or any number of other dudes that looked like they were coming here (whether they verbally committed or we just had the inside track) until they didn't.

Recruiting is an inexact science. We screwed up with Jaxson, but it doesn't mean he would have come here even if we played all our cards correctly.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic