QB, Talent, Coaching and Circumstances

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigBlueBlood

QB, Talent, Coaching and Circumstances

Post by BigBlueBlood » October 26th, 2020, 10:14 am

All teams have had to prepare under the same circumstances, so I don't see any issue or excuse/reason on that front. As for talent, is there really that big of a gap in talent between USU and BSU right now? I can't believe that. We looked like a middle Big Sky team. The Aggies looked ill-prepared, soft, confused and without any direction, identity or fire, especially in the first half. We could not do anything. I don't want to be too hard on Shelly, but so far, only one game in, it appears we took a backup P5 QB, and traded him for a starting P5 QB. I know Andersen has had to seek a little balance in his life and back off of bit, but he just seems disinterested on the sideline. I know he's not, but he just looks that way compared to Andersen 1.0. Either Shelly did not want to pass, can't pass, or was not given much opportunity to do so when it was needed. (Wasn't this the knock on Shelly at Utah?). Even when we started running it really well, we never used it to mix things up and get the passing game going. Even with a first round, NFL QB the Aggies struggled last year. I shudder to think what we might be in for without one this year. The kicking game was bad, too.

I know I'm stating the obvious. It was just very disappointing to see the Aggies look like that. We looked like the Pre-Andersen 1.0 teams and it triggered my PTSD from those days.

YoungBloodAggie

Re: QB, Talent, Coaching and Circumstances

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 26th, 2020, 10:23 am

BigBlueBlood wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:14 am
All teams have had to prepare under the same circumstances, so I don't see any issue or excuse/reason on that front. As for talent, is there really that big of a gap in talent between USU and BSU right now? I can't believe that. We looked like a middle Big Sky team. The Aggies looked ill-prepared, soft, confused and without any direction, identity or fire, especially in the first half. We could not do anything. I don't want to be too hard on Shelly, but so far, only one game in, it appears we took a backup P5 QB, and traded him for a starting P5 QB. I know Andersen has had to seek a little balance in his life and back off of bit, but he just seems disinterested on the sideline. I know he's not, but he just looks that way compared to Andersen 1.0. Either Shelly did not want to pass, can't pass, or was not given much opportunity to do so when it was needed. (Wasn't this the knock on Shelly at Utah?). Even when we started running it really well, we never used it to mix things up and get the passing game going. Even with a first round, NFL QB the Aggies struggled last year. I shudder to think what we might be in for without one this year. The kicking game was bad, too.

I know I'm stating the obvious. It was just very disappointing to see the Aggies look like that. We looked like the Pre-Andersen 1.0 teams and it triggered my PTSD from those days.
You need a prozac and a nap, amigo.

If you want to hard to hear truth, then yes Boise does have a considerable talent advantage over us. Their offense was replacing a lot of OL, but skill positions were experienced and the QB is one of the best they've had. We, on the other hand, had to replace our QB, RB, X-WR, and TE (not replaced, but out for this game) while trying to run a new offensive system that we didn't get to install during spring ball.

You, and everyone else on this board, need to treat this season for what it is really is: a preamble to 2021. We are installing a new scheme on both sides of the ball, are very young in key positions, and we had little to no time to get everyone on the same page with meaningful practices during the offseason.

On the bright side: AFA looked bad, WYO and NEV didn't look great, CSU and UNM likely aren't any better than last year, and Fresno looked downright terrible. There is no reason to think that we can't win 3-5 games this year. I don't know if we will go bowling, mostly because I don't know how many low-level bowls can afford to operate this year.

We are a developmental program, and our last coaching staff didn't leave much in the way of developed talent after the glut of talent on that 2018 team. If you don't want to be a developmental program, you'd better figure out how to donate a few million to the AD and get some of your millionaire buddies to do it too. Otherwise, we need to expect a little volatility in the results from year to year.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 6):
Sl7vkvegasaggieoleblu111AZ4AggieNationsstrasserBLUERUFiO

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 26th, 2020, 10:30 am

That was really par for the course against Boise State. Unfortunately we are a few steps below them.

Recruiting rankings certainly aren't everything, but chances are if you recruit much better than another team you are going to beat them the majority of times on Saturday. Here are some recent recruiting rankings for the MW:

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2017/mwest/football

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... nce=M-West

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Footb ... nce=M-West

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Footb ... nce=M-West

Boise State is at the top of the conference each year and other than 2019 we are not close. It isn't shocking that we usually not only lose to them, but are rarely competitive. This article is a few years old, but things are probably pretty similar now. It shows the revenue difference in the conference:

https://footballscoop.com/news/figures- ... enue-race/

Boise State is clearly ahead of everyone. I also agree with the line in the article that says "a season that ends with anyone other than Boise State winning the Mountain West means something went wrong in Boise." Compare that to USU where we have a chance to compete every few years, but are not built right now to compete with Boise State every year or win the conference every year. With good coaching, great development and finding the right guys that are overlooked, we can be a contender every few years.

If this makes me a "StanfordAggie" feel free to hate away, but it is a reality when judging our games vs Boise State.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
vegasaggieoleblu111JSHarvey

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » October 26th, 2020, 10:34 am

For me the hardest part right now is to get perspective. This could very well be a BCS year for Boise and had they played non-conference games they would be top twenty with an average margin of victory of well over 30 points or something ridiculous and then this game wouldn't look bad.

This could also be just an average Boise team that wins often with just few blowouts mostly tight games and this game would be a huge cause for concern.

Either version of Boise would beat a top big sky team by nearly 70.

It will take few more games before before we know for sure where we actually stand and whether or not our coaches are making the right decision and building correctly, have the right people starting, or have implementing the right system.
These users thanked the author AgSpaceCase for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 26th, 2020, 11:08 am

We are a developmental program. I know we want to compete with Boise, but they consistently have the top rated recruiting class in the league. We are generally in the lower half. They also have more resources. I want to beat them as much as anybody, but unfortunately unless they turn the ball over 7 times in a half then wins over them are going to be few and far between. Outside of Boise and to some extent SDSU we compete very well with our conference mates. There is no shame in that. I know people will give me flack, but fact of the matter is considering our resources and the ability to recruit to Logan if we finish .500 or greater most years with some 10 win years sprinkled in then I am happy. I don't think it is me settling, but rather having some perspective. I do think we can be more competitive with them, but let's see how things play out the next few weeks before we burn the program to the ground.

Last year we were 6-2 in conference with is really good. I realize the losses were really bad, but being 6-2 in the MW is nothing to scoff at.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
Sl7vkNVAggieAZ4AggieNation

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » October 26th, 2020, 4:41 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:23 am
BigBlueBlood wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 10:14 am

You need a prozac and a nap, amigo.

If you want to hard to hear truth, then yes Boise does have a considerable talent advantage over us. Their offense was replacing a lot of OL, but skill positions were experienced and the QB is one of the best they've had. We, on the other hand, had to replace our QB, RB, X-WR, and TE (not replaced, but out for this game) while trying to run a new offensive system that we didn't get to install during spring ball.

You, and everyone else on this board, need to treat this season for what it is really is: a preamble to 2021. We are installing a new scheme on both sides of the ball, are very young in key positions, and we had little to no time to get everyone on the same page with meaningful practices during the offseason.

On the bright side: AFA looked bad, WYO and NEV didn't look great, CSU and UNM likely aren't any better than last year, and Fresno looked downright terrible. There is no reason to think that we can't win 3-5 games this year. I don't know if we will go bowling, mostly because I don't know how many low-level bowls can afford to operate this year.

We are a developmental program, and our last coaching staff didn't leave much in the way of developed talent after the glut of talent on that 2018 team. If you don't want to be a developmental program, you'd better figure out how to donate a few million to the AD and get some of your millionaire buddies to do it too. Otherwise, we need to expect a little volatility in the results from year to year.
I like your attitude.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 26th, 2020, 4:48 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 11:08 am
We are a developmental program. I know we want to compete with Boise, but they consistently have the top rated recruiting class in the league. We are generally in the lower half. They also have more resources. I want to beat them as much as anybody, but unfortunately unless they turn the ball over 7 times in a half then wins over them are going to be few and far between. Outside of Boise and to some extent SDSU we compete very well with our conference mates. There is no shame in that. I know people will give me flack, but fact of the matter is considering our resources and the ability to recruit to Logan if we finish .500 or greater most years with some 10 win years sprinkled in then I am happy. I don't think it is me settling, but rather having some perspective. I do think we can be more competitive with them, but let's see how things play out the next few weeks before we burn the program to the ground.

Last year we were 6-2 in conference with is really good. I realize the losses were really bad, but being 6-2 in the MW is nothing to scoff at.
Yeah, I mean there are certainly legitimate criticisms of our game on Saturday. The passing game for one is a worry that will need to improve over the course of the year if we are going to have a winning season.

Beyond that, what YBA and you have said is true. Reality is we aren't a program right now that is set up to be great every year. We are a program that even with the right coaching and right players we will probably be really good every few years and hopefully can still have 7-6 type seasons during the other years. Believe me I'd like to win 10 games every year, but that shouldn't be anyone's expectation.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 26th, 2020, 4:55 pm

There is a massive gap between the two programs, it is not even close, we beat them in one area we spend more school funds on athletics than what they do.

Does anyone here believe that a coach on the level of Chris Petersen would stay at USU if he won the same number of games?

It is a much easier place and program to recruit to. Many here do not want to hear why that is, but it is a fact. They beat us on budget, reputation, and location.

Was I happy with what I saw in the game no, but I expected it. They are one of if the finest G-5 program in the nation we are not even close to that.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » October 26th, 2020, 7:31 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 4:55 pm
There is a massive gap between the two programs, it is not even close, we beat them in one area we spend more school funds on athletics than what they do.

Does anyone here believe that a coach on the level of Chris Petersen would stay at USU if he won the same number of games?

It is a much easier place and program to recruit to. Many here do not want to hear why that is, but it is a fact. They beat us on budget, reputation, and location.

Was I happy with what I saw in the game no, but I expected it. They are one of if the finest G-5 program in the nation we are not even close to that.

I saw a lack of effort, no fire, and a lot of poor tackling, we should expect much better than what we saw Saturday, no matter the gap in talent. That was embarrassing, and not acceptable to me. It was like watching the Brent Guy era, except this time around the expectations are justifiably much higher!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 26th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:

If we’re a developmental program the why are casting aside a guy who worked hard for 3 years to develop into a great QB for a guy that was part of a non developmental program and was moved out of the QB position?
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on October 26th, 2020, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 2):
JSHarveyAggieBlues

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 26th, 2020, 7:45 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 7:35 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:

If we’re a developmental program the why are casting aside a guy who worked hard for 3 years to develop into a great QB for a guy that was part of a job developmental program and was moved out of the QB position?
*whispers very quietly*

Because being part of a developmental program is having position battles.

*hides behind large wall as HC supporters throw tomatoes*

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 26th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

If we’re a developmental program the why are casting aside a guy who worked hard for 3 years to develop into a great QB for a guy that was part of a non developmental program and was moved out of the QB position?
If you dont think we are a developmental program you are delusional. All us want to compete and beat boise regularly, but they are on another level. Trust me i would take HC for sure above Shelley, but he moved on. I am also a realist in terms of expectations, that does mean i am ok with the product displayed on Saturday because we can do better than that and we deserve better. We cant expect BMW 5 series results on a Ford Focus budget.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 26th, 2020, 8:14 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 8:04 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:

If you dont think we are a developmental program you are delusional. All us want to compete and beat boise regularly, but they are on another level. Trust me i would take HC for sure above Shelley, but he moved on. I am also a realist in terms of expectations, that does mean i am ok with the product displayed on Saturday because we can do better than that and we deserve better. We cant expect BMW 5 series results on a Ford Focus budget.
Lol, I know we’re a developmental program. I’ve only heard Gary Andersen and Matt Wells state this 100+ times over the last 10 years and fans walk around parroting it much more.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » October 26th, 2020, 8:35 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 4:55 pm

But smelling coffee is sinful.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
oleblu111

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » October 27th, 2020, 10:34 am

Aggie84025 wrote:

Good take. Some MWC programs have to build up and are good every 3-4 years. In the MWC, I think USU is most similar to Air Force, Wyoming, CSU, and maybe Nevada.

Schools like Boise, SDSU and maybe even Fresno are in easier locations for recruiting and have a better shot at being good every year.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » October 27th, 2020, 11:29 am

I do not see us overmatched physically by any team in the MW including Boise.

Boise State struck gold when they hired Chris Petersen, they kept him there 8 years. He developed their program.

That BSU program is the difference between USU and BSU. Not the players or the current coaches.

Maybe GA will bring us back. History for returning coaches tells us that isn't likely.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 27th, 2020, 11:37 am

Tetonkatest wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 10:34 am
Aggie84025 wrote:

Good take. Some MWC programs have to build up and are good every 3-4 years. In the MWC, I think USU is most similar to Air Force, Wyoming, CSU, and maybe Nevada.

Schools like Boise, SDSU and maybe even Fresno are in easier locations for recruiting and have a better shot at being good every year.
Take the last 2 decades out of it, so winning isn't the factor, and there is no difference in recruiting players to Laramie than there is to Boise. The difference is winning. They have built a winning tradition and they are the only game in town. That's it, it's not a secret formula. Winning consistently makes recruiting easier. Not saying that location doesn't help, it does, but Boise isn't San Diego, not a beach or bikini in sight. The kids commit because they win.

Go Aggies!

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 27th, 2020, 11:41 am

I've brought this up before, but here is the three-year history for teams that have won at least eight games in a season:

2019 - 56 teams won at least eight games. That is 43% of FBS-level programs.
2018 - 32 teams won at least eight games in 2018 and 2019. That is 25% of FBS-level programs.
2017 - 19 teams won at least eight games 2017-2019. That is 15% of all FBS programs.

Here are the 19 teams that have won eight-plus games in each of the last three seasons:

Memphis, UCF, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Marshall, UAB, Notre Dame, Boise State, Washington, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Appalachian State.

Does anything stick out about who is, or isn't, on that list?

If we are making bowl games 4/5 years and winning double digit games 1/5 years, I am a happy camper. When the kid that started Crumbl makes an eight-figure donation to the AD, then we can talk about higher expectations.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 27th, 2020, 11:42 am

El Sapo wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 11:29 am

Boise State struck gold when they hired Chris Petersen, they kept him there 8 years. He developed their program.

That BSU program is the difference between USU and BSU. Not the players or the current coaches.

Maybe GA will bring us back. History for returning coaches tells us that isn't likely.
They have been great for much longer than Chris Petersen. That was their peak, but Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins and Bryan Harsin have all won a lot of games there. Before Petersen became Head Coach, their conference record the previous 7 seasons was 48-4. They are a step down from Peterson now with Harsin, but that step down is still winning 10+ games a year.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
El Sapooleblu111

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » October 27th, 2020, 11:57 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 11:42 am
El Sapo wrote:

They have been great for much longer than Chris Petersen. That was their peak, but Dirk Koetter, Dan Hawkins and Bryan Harsin have all won a lot of games there. Before Petersen became Head Coach, their conference record the previous 7 seasons was 48-4. They are a step down from Peterson now with Harsin, but that step down is still winning 10+ games a year.
Program and culture, Petersen or the previous guy, they have "IT." Once you have "IT" it's contagious. Like those great Hawaii HS programs, or DeLa Salle HS here in Concord CA. They become something more than players and coaches. Boise has that, we don't
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 27th, 2020, 12:20 pm

El Sapo wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 11:57 am
El Sapo wrote:

Program and culture, Petersen or the previous guy, they have "IT." Once you have "IT" it's contagious. Like those great Hawaii HS programs, or DeLa Salle HS here in Concord CA. They become something more than players and coaches. Boise has that, we don't
I agree. They have a winning culture that has kept going for 20+ years now. Starting in 99 they have won 10 games every season except 4 and those seasons they were 8-4, 9-4, 8-5 and 9-4. Those are the type of seasons that are their "down years."

I hate to endlessly praise them because I cheer against them and am certainly not a fan, but it is what it is. They are night and day from where we are. They are basically the mid major equivalent of Ohio State right now.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Aggie19

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 27th, 2020, 12:58 pm

October 27th, 2020, 12:20 pm
El Sapo wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

I agree. They have a winning culture that has kept going for 20+ years now. Starting in 99 they have won 10 games every season except 4 and those seasons they were 8-4, 9-4, 8-5 and 9-4. Those are the type of seasons that are their "down years."

I hate to endlessly praise them because I cheer against them and am certainly not a fan, but it is what it is. They are night and day from where we are. They are basically the mid major equivalent of Ohio State right now.
I guess one piece of good news in 2020 is that Boise won't be getting to 10 wins. :scotsman:
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
NVAggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 27th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 12:58 pm
October 27th, 2020, 12:20 pm
El Sapo wrote:
El Sapo wrote:

I guess one piece of good news in 2020 is that Boise won't be getting to 10 wins. :scotsman:
Most likely not unless they run the table winning the conference championship and the bowl game.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 27th, 2020, 2:16 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 11:41 am
I've brought this up before, but here is the three-year history for teams that have won at least eight games in a season:

2019 - 56 teams won at least eight games. That is 43% of FBS-level programs.
2018 - 32 teams won at least eight games in 2018 and 2019. That is 25% of FBS-level programs.
2017 - 19 teams won at least eight games 2017-2019. That is 15% of all FBS programs.

Here are the 19 teams that have won eight-plus games in each of the last three seasons:

Memphis, UCF, Clemson, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Marshall, UAB, Notre Dame, Boise State, Washington, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Appalachian State.

Does anything stick out about who is, or isn't, on that list?

If we are making bowl games 4/5 years and winning double digit games 1/5 years, I am a happy camper. When the kid that started Crumbl makes an eight-figure donation to the AD, then we can talk about higher expectations.
It goes back way farther than 3 years. 1998 was the *last* time Boise won less than eight games.
W L
2019 12 2
2018 10 3
2017 11 3
2016 10 3
2015 9 4
2014 12 2
2013 8 5
2012 11 2
2011 12 1
2010 12 1
2009 14 0
2008 12 1
2007 10 3
2006 13 0
2005 9 4
2004 11 1
2003 13 1
2002 12 1
2001 8 4
2000 10 2
1999 10 3
1998 6 5
1997 4 7
1996 2 10

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

AZ4AggieNation

Post by AZ4AggieNation » October 27th, 2020, 6:47 pm

October 26th, 2020, 10:30 am
That was really par for the course against Boise State. Unfortunately we are a few steps below them.

Recruiting rankings certainly aren't everything, but chances are if you recruit much better than another team you are going to beat them the majority of times on Saturday. Here are some recent recruiting rankings for the MW:

Boise State is at the top of the conference each year and other than 2019 we are not close. It isn't shocking that we usually not only lose to them, but are rarely competitive. This article is a few years old, but things are probably pretty similar now. It shows the revenue difference in the conference:

Boise State is clearly ahead of everyone. I also agree with the line in the article that says "a season that ends with anyone other than Boise State winning the Mountain West means something went wrong in Boise." Compare that to USU where we have a chance to compete every few years, but are not built right now to compete with Boise State every year or win the conference every year. With good coaching, great development and finding the right guys that are overlooked, we can be a contender every few years.

If this makes me a "StanfordAggie" feel free to hate away, but it is a reality when judging our games vs Boise State.
I guess I will just add having gone through the recruiting process the past year+ with my kid and seeing multiple MW teams visit with Broc at his school and by phone/mail; he was prob most impressed with the USU and BSU staff/facilities, etc. and also UNLV.

Broc decided early-on he really wanted to play in the MW; his family is in AZ and he and I watched a ton of late-night MW high scoring show-downs on ESPN over the years!

In the end he narrowed it down to BSU and USU; Coach Harsin even came to his school the same week GA did. He felt BSU was just a bit "full of themselves"; I get why but that GA and his USU staff seemed genuine and were building something at USU...

So, yes he could be a "boy in blue in Boise" but he loves everything up there at USU so far (minus the Covid-challenges) and wants to be part of a team that keeps building/rising and whoops BSU's a%* over the next coup years...So, he is one potential Bronco rook that wanted more to be an Aggie instead and plans to contribute heavily to the teams success over them and MW foe for years to come!!!

(Thx for listening to the mild rant.....)
These users thanked the author AZ4AggieNation for the post (total 7):
BustaMcNuttcdaAgaggies22AGinNEIowaBLUERUFiOHomeTownAggie formerly in Hawaii

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 27th, 2020, 6:49 pm

^^^^ and that is what we need in Logan.

Can't wait to see Broc progress at USU.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 3):
AZ4AggieNationBustaMcNuttaggies22

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 27th, 2020, 10:08 pm

AZ4AggieNation wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 6:47 pm

I guess I will just add having gone through the recruiting process the past year+ with my kid and seeing multiple MW teams visit with Broc at his school and by phone/mail; he was prob most impressed with the USU and BSU staff/facilities, etc. and also UNLV.

Broc decided early-on he really wanted to play in the MW; his family is in AZ and he and I watched a ton of late-night MW high scoring show-downs on ESPN over the years!

In the end he narrowed it down to BSU and USU; Coach Harsin even came to his school the same week GA did. He felt BSU was just a bit "full of themselves"; I get why but that GA and his USU staff seemed genuine and were building something at USU...

So, yes he could be a "boy in blue in Boise" but he loves everything up there at USU so far (minus the Covid-challenges) and wants to be part of a team that keeps building/rising and whoops BSU's a%* over the next coup years...So, he is one potential Bronco rook that wanted more to be an Aggie instead and plans to contribute heavily to the teams success over them and MW foe for years to come!!!

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing. Please post more often!
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 29th, 2020, 11:48 am

AZ4AggieNation wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 6:47 pm

Great post. Always good to hear about players who chose Utah State over byu, utah and boise state. It makes me like them even more.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » October 29th, 2020, 2:52 pm

I disagree. I think the talent gap is there, but overstated by many on this board. Lack of talent, if it is there, does not explain how bad we looked last week. I think the new offensive system was an issue, but it didn't look like that was the main problem. Again, we looked, soft, confused and ill-prepared. GA agreed. I'm interested to see what he does about it on Saturday.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 29th, 2020, 4:23 pm

BigBlueBlood wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 2:52 pm
I disagree. I think the talent gap is there, but overstated by many on this board. Lack of talent, if it is there, does not explain how bad we looked last week. I think the new offensive system was an issue, but it didn't look like that was the main problem. Again, we looked, soft, confused and ill-prepared. GA agreed. I'm interested to see what he does about it on Saturday.
I was encouraged by the offense sans the QB situation. I think the O line showed in the second half and JS even calmed down a bit. I like our backs and receivers although the receivers were outmatched by Boises DBs. No throws to the tight ends or backs was a huge concern to me and the QB play overall.

The D has got be be fundamentally sounder. Just has to be no matter who the opponent is. They showed flashes but the tackling was still horrendous.

I think Saturday is going to be a tough go until JS and the offensive coordinator can show they can beat a 8-9 man front.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

Locked Previous topicNext topic