Two breaks we caught, or it would have been a lot worse

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OKAggie

Two breaks we caught, or it would have been a lot worse

Post by OKAggie » October 25th, 2020, 10:36 am

1. The call that Nathan didn't touch the ball on the punt that went through his hands. (Set aside for now that he shouldn't have been trying to catch that thing in the first place -- he was backpedaling and turned sideways to a ball in the wind that ended up as a 71 yard punt into the endzone. Even for as good as his hands are normally (hi Tania!), the risk/reward on that catch attempt was off the charts.) But on the slo-mo replay it looked like the spin and trajectory of the ball changed as it went through his hands. In addition, the velcro strap on his glove was attached when he went to make the catch, but open after the ball passed through. He touched it, the ball went into the end zone, Boise recovered what would have been a touchdown. [/zapruder] We were fortunate they let that call stand.

2. The weird Boise punt into the back of the blocker, which gave us a short field and led to our second and final TD. The announcer said he'd never seen that before (but I had -- the only TD of my entire pitiful high school career came on a similar error by a Park City punter.)

Absent these two breaks, we lose 49-7.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13BLUERUFiO

Nobody here knows anything.

ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN

Re: Two breaks we caught, or it would have been a lot worse

Post by ROLLEOVERHORDEMANN » October 25th, 2020, 10:43 am

Thanks for reminding us.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 25th, 2020, 2:32 pm

He touched it. Yes I know for sure he did simply by the look on his face during the review... same look he had as a kid when he was in trouble... but hey it was a break none the less

Hi OK
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 9):
YossariancdaAgBustaMcNuttpilotaggieFloridaAggie13OKAggieutahcountyaggietreesap32BLUERUFiO

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 25th, 2020, 2:35 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 2:32 pm
He touched it. Yes I know for sure he did simply by the look on his face during the review... same look he had as a kid when he was in trouble... but hey it was a break none the less

Hi OK
Hahaha! This might be my favorite post ever, Tania. Called out by mom! 😁
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
pilotaggie

Go Aggies!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 25th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 2:35 pm
taniataylor wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Hi OK
Hahaha! This might be my favorite post ever, Tania. Called out by mom! 😁
Oh stick around, I do that alot!! We already had our post game meeting
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 3):
OKAggieAggie19sstrasser

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » October 25th, 2020, 2:47 pm

He sold it well by not acting like he touched it immediately after. That made it a initial no-touch call which was tougher to over turn

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 25th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Getting hit by a punt costed us a game at Nevada one year. I guess maybe it's better that this time, we learn from it in a game we were going to lose either way, as opposed to happening in a game we lose cause of it that we would otherwise win. It's like how I remember one year, I had intended to call into the radio and talk about how Pat Scales gets the long snaps right every time. And I purposely did it the week before we played at Boise, cause I thought that if I was going to jinx him, it's better he is jinxed before a game we are going to lose either way as opposed to one where a bad snap would be the difference between winning and losing.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 26th, 2020, 1:38 am

Maybe it's time we let our All-American returner field punts (assuming he's a go for next week).

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 26th, 2020, 7:23 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 1:38 am
Maybe it's time we let our All-American returner field punts (assuming he's a go for next week).
He can't catch well when there’s a crowd of opposing players near him.... hence the reason he’s never started at receiver... since you think you know everything
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 26th, 2020, 7:41 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Scarver is a great KR. Really good speed and an internal knack for seeing the crease. But he can't catch. PR requires a different skill-set than kickoff-return; where a player who has a history of not being able to consistently catch the ball, especially over the middle, doesn't belong. Almost every instance of a PR is similar to a receiver running over the middle.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 26th, 2020, 1:07 pm

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 27th, 2020, 12:20 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 7:41 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Scarver is a great KR. Really good speed and an internal knack for seeing the crease. But he can't catch. PR requires a different skill-set than kickoff-return; where a player who has a history of not being able to consistently catch the ball, especially over the middle, doesn't belong. Almost every instance of a PR is similar to a receiver running over the middle.
What are you talking about? How can he be a good KR if he can't catch? :headscratch: Catching the ball on a punt and kick return IS ESSENTIALLY THE SAME SKILL!!! They both look like this:

The only major difference is with punting you have less time to catch the ball and make a decision. Even with the minor differences, you are going to sit there and tell me the best kick returner IN THE COUNTRY couldn't reliably field a punt? You're crazy!
Last edited by OrangeCountyAggie on October 27th, 2020, 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 27th, 2020, 12:26 am

taniataylor wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 7:23 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
He can't catch well when there’s a crowd of opposing players near him.... hence the reason he’s never started at receiver... since you think you know everything
Apparently neither can Jordan. Maybe, we should ask Savon's mom what she thinks on the subject.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 27th, 2020, 6:32 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 12:20 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
What are you talking about? How can he be a good KR if he can't catch? :headscratch: Catching the ball on a punt and kick return IS ESSENTIALLY THE SAME SKILL!!! They both look like this:

The only major difference is with punting you have less time to catch the ball and make a decision. Even with the minor differences, you are going to sit there and tell me the best kick returner IN THE COUNTRY couldn't reliably field a punt? You're crazy!
Have you ever watched a football game?

A KR has about a 20 yard space between himself and the defender - everything is in front of him.

A PR often has but a few yards between himself and the defenders - while he looking straight up into the air.

Look around the country and the NFL, it is very rare to have the same guy returning punts and kickoffs.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 27th, 2020, 6:34 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 12:26 am
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Apparently neither can Jordan. Maybe, we should ask Savon's mom what she thinks on the subject.
Right, that's why Jordan's been a PR for four years. Because he can't catch.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 27th, 2020, 7:15 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Oh, I thought you were Savon's mom. :noidea: Seemed to be the only logical reason.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13utahcountyaggie

Go Aggies!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 27th, 2020, 7:25 am

It’s actually refreshing to see that player parents are just as easily drawn into message board disputes as us regular friends. :lol:

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 27th, 2020, 7:34 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Impressive that you've been able to make yourself the least likable person on this board in such a short amount of time.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post:
USU78

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 27th, 2020, 7:50 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Lol lol... you act like he drops every one. He caught one at the 46 yard line with ALOT of Boise players surrounding him to give us great field position. Did he muff the 2nd one? Yup! Is that rare? Yup.
I really think I need to point out that you know sh*t about football.
If Savon’s mom is realistic she would agree.
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
USU78JSHarvey

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 27th, 2020, 9:13 am

It's bizarre that anyone could think that Jordan has a problem catching punts based on one punt. I don't know what the stats are, but I can't recall an issue prior to Saturday. He's done a fabulous job.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 27th, 2020, 9:31 am

newhouse9 wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 9:13 am
It's bizarre that anyone could think that Jordan has a problem catching punts based on one punt. I don't know what the stats are, but I can't recall an issue prior to Saturday. He's done a fabulous job.
For as long as he has fielded punts he has been very sure handed.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 27th, 2020, 1:55 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 6:32 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

A KR has about a 20 yard space between himself and the defender - everything is in front of him.

A PR often has but a few yards between himself and the defenders - while he looking straight up into the air.

Look around the country and the NFL, it is very rare to have the same guy returning punts and kickoffs.
You're talking about spacing, not catching. The mechanics of catching the ball are the same. For you to say Scarver can't catch is total BS. He is the best kick return in college football last year, those skills are translatable!!!!!!

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 27th, 2020, 1:58 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 9:13 am
Except for the time he muffed one in the bowl game which set Kent State up for an easy touchdown and (likely) cost us the game!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 27th, 2020, 2:11 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 1:55 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

You're talking about spacing, not catching. The mechanics of catching the ball are the same. For you to say Scarver can't catch is total BS. He is the best kick return in college football last year, those skills are translatable!!!!!!
No, I'm talking about catching the ball. Scarver doesn't catch the ball well in traffic and no, catching a punt is different than catching a kick off. That's why he hasn't cracked the starting lineup as a WR.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 27th, 2020, 2:14 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Best kick returner, but not catcher...if that was the case the #1 slot would not have been moved to Savon’s spot to be the starter and kept him at the the #2 poss #3 now outside receiver.

To be a KR u dont have a difficult time catching a ball in space, where the defenders are trying to get to the ball from the opposite side of the field, a PR? The defenders are on top of the PR real quick!

You wont prove your point to me. The coaches dont see it either. But when he returns from his ankle injury, we shall see....DT might have KR locked in by then though! 🤣🤣

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 27th, 2020, 2:16 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 7:50 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Lol lol... you act like he drops every one. He caught one at the 46 yard line with ALOT of Boise players surrounding him to give us great field position. Did he muff the 2nd one? Yup! Is that rare? Yup.
Rage all you want, but we clearly we have better options. As an example, Devin Thompkins who is a faster player has a 14.3 yard average on punts whereas Jordan only averages 8.4 for his entire career. Maybe not having to be burdened with punt return duties will help Jordan with his offensive production.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 27th, 2020, 2:18 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 2:16 pm
taniataylor wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 7:50 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
Rage all you want, but we clearly we have better options. As an example, Devin Thompkins who is a faster player has a 14.3 yard average on punts whereas Jordan only averages 8.4 for his entire career. Maybe not having to be burdened with punt return duties will help Jordan with his offensive production.
Well too bad Jordan is still our PR. Btw, Jordans average will be lower with the amount of time he’s done it, not every PR ends up as a run

P.S. Im not in a rage, Im just sick of you always ragging on Jordan. YOU HAVE NEVER DONE BETTER I GUARANTEE
sstrasser

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 27th, 2020, 2:27 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 2:14 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Best kick returner, but not catcher...if that was the case the #1 slot would not have been moved to Savon’s spot to be the starter and kept him at the the #2 poss #3 now outside receiver.

To be a KR u dont have a difficult time catching a ball in space, where the defenders are trying to get to the ball from the opposite side of the field, a PR? The defenders are on top of the PR real quick!

You wont prove your point to me. The coaches dont see it either. But when he returns from his ankle injury, we shall see....DT might have KR locked in by then though! 🤣🤣
So you get mad when people bash on Jordan, yet you degrade the only consensus All-American player we've had since Merlin Olsen, that's just stupid!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 27th, 2020, 2:33 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 2:27 pm
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

So you get mad when people bash on Jordan, yet you degrade the only consensus All-American player we've had since Merlin Olsen, that's just stupid!
Until now, I have not done that AT ALL!! You have been bashing Jordan since you brought your A$$ here. I haven’t knocked our QB, our D-line, no one until you came here and started your BS

I am also stating facts. Savon has done great at KR, he would not make it as a PR. He is not a WR, he is a really fast KR and good at it

I’ll be at the Nov 14 game, we can talk about it then....🤣😂
USU78

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 28th, 2020, 7:17 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Maybe you should ask this question to two coaching staffs as both have seen the value of Savon as a KR and Nathan as a PR, but neither sees any value to Scarver spending a lot of time with the offense despite his speed.

It isn't a knock or degrading Scarver, it's simply putting him in a position to maximize his talent and catching the ball in traffic isn't his forte'. His knack is returning kick-offs and he is really good at this. I'm glad we have him. However, due to his speed and KR abilities, I would bet my house that he's been tried in the PR role in practice already by both coaching staffs, but with no success.

The job of a PR is to control field position which starts with catching the ball in heavy traffic and not letting it hit the ground and roll another 10-15 yards. Everything else is a bonus. The next time you see any PR fair catch a ball in traffic you should mentally chalk that up as a 10 yard gain even though it shows a zero in the box score.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » October 28th, 2020, 11:06 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

I've tried to avoid getting sucked into these convos, but you have to be trolling now right? Right?

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 28th, 2020, 11:30 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
At least for me the punts took immeasurably more concentration to field. The ball isn't end over end. Its high. Your looking straight up, Its drifting, more likely to get caught in sun or lights, and you have 10 guys bearing down on you. I don't recall ever having any issues with a kickoff except for bouncing squibs that hit funny once in a while. Fielding punts is the most challenging thing in football IMO.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 28th, 2020, 11:37 am

hickaggie wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 11:30 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
At least for me the punts took immeasurably more concentration to field. The ball isn't end over end. Its high. Your looking straight up, Its drifting, more likely to get caught in sun or lights, and you have 10 guys bearing down on you. I don't recall ever having any issues with a kickoff except for bouncing squibs that hit funny once in a while. Fielding punts is the most challenging thing in football IMO.
Factor in the wind as well. It is definitely a skill and a job not many can handle.

Eutaw St. Aggie

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 28th, 2020, 12:27 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
October 28th, 2020, 11:06 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

I've tried to avoid getting sucked into these convos, but you have to be trolling now right? Right?
To further the point about Scarver he's a kickoff guy with a good feel for some upfield moves in space but is not as quick laterally as either Nathan or Tomkins. That skillset is only valuable in about 1 in 10 punts when a punter line drives a catchable kick or outkicks his coverage and the returner is in a position to get back to it. Even then the setup is wholly distinct from a kickoff where you have 10 blockers who are moving forward rather than laterally.

Sure handedness is always the first attribute in a returner. But Scarver's not even the best option after the catch.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 28th, 2020, 5:16 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 27th, 2020, 2:33 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
taniataylor wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Until now, I have not done that AT ALL!! You have been bashing Jordan since you brought your A$$ here. I haven’t knocked our QB, our D-line, no one until you came here and started your BS

I am also stating facts. Savon has done great at KR, he would not make it as a PR. He is not a WR, he is a really fast KR and good at it

I’ll be at the Nov 14 game, we can talk about it then....🤣😂
I disagree, you said on this very thread that a) Savon can't catch and b) you think he should be replaced as our primary KR by DT. How is that not disparaging him? It's totally reasonable that you'd defend your son, but don't get mad at me for pointing out that Jordan has not lived up to (apparently low) expectations if YOU DO THE SAME THING to another player on the team!

Locked Previous topicNext topic