.02 cents from Aggie pops!

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AZ4AggieNation

.02 cents from Aggie pops!

Post by AZ4AggieNation » October 25th, 2020, 3:34 am

Full disclaimer here; feedback is very welcome. Not one with shallow feelers!!!

My first full Aggie game and really excited I was to watch Broc play earlier tonight. I can tell you he felt bummed with the L but said the team wasn’t holding heads down at all on the bus home!

I’ve read the posts after game tonight. Must admit the mostly anemic offense and basic play calling, caught me off guard but yes 2nd half improved. I was expecting more from JS but is first game with team ya know but I’d like to see him not telegraph every throw and maybe look to 2nd/3rd options and he never once really looked to middle or any seam routes in space. He just never looked comfortable back there it seemed not did he run much!

Broc was excited y’all and said he felt so blessed to be able to play on almost every special team package and got in on most of the third downs lining up on the line and also out wide. Such an experience for a freshman!

I’ve read some mention they didn’t use TE’s much at all. Well maybe dad goggles (feel free to give crap back to me...) but Broc when in on third and 4th downs, seemed to get open on several routes in the seam and even a few 5-8 yard hitch routes in space, which I felt would have given JS some confidence completing those routes and even moving the chains. I didn’t see JS look his way once on a route; it was really odd..whether he hits Broc or any other TE..ya gotta use them at times to keep drives going for our WR’s and RB’s to also then be able to make the big plays. If ya watch the last drive like 3rd or 4th down and like 12; Broc was wide open for 15+ yard in the seam..JS never looked and threw ball into triple coverage to outside WR.

I just hope the O gets more creative is what I’m saying and they use all their weapons; passing game and running game! I was not around when Columbi or Peasley played before so I can’t xomment. I know Broc has mentioned JS is a really cool guy rhough!

Feel free to tell me to pound sand on my words as a fan and Dad of an Aggie. Just know Broc felt blessed to play tonight and I’m sure he’ll only grow from the experience and really hopes he gets some throws in coming games and can help his new brothers get some W’s.

I remain very optimistic moving forward my new Aggie kinsmen!!!
These users thanked the author AZ4AggieNation for the post (total 13):
slcaggAggie19ParadiseAggieUSU78MaverickAggieaggies22OrangeCountyAggieGreenAgutahcountyaggieTurtle and 3 more users

Yossarian

Re: .02 cents from Aggie pops!

Post by Yossarian » October 25th, 2020, 4:00 am

Not throwing to the tight end has been a hallmark of USU offenses dating back years. The last time we effectively and consistently used the tight end as a pass catcher was when Chris Cooley was here. It is frustrating, to say the least.

I would think that a good way to get some confidence and momentum in an offense would be to make a quick easy throw to the tight ends. Use two tight end sets and set up seam routes with the run. Every once in a while you just slip a tight end out into the flat or sit down in a seam.

Shelley looked like this was the first live action game he has played in his life. He was quick to throw the ball out of bounds. He was indecisive when he did run. His passes were not crisp. He looked like a nervous wreck - even fumbled a snap. The game speed really messed with him.

I really hope we see some two and three tight end sets and establish a strong run game. This will set up play action passes to the tight ends and deep routes to the receivers. I was very disappointed with the offense. Like really disappointed.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionaggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 25th, 2020, 5:23 am

Your right on shelley and not to dump on the kid but it seemed to me and my untrained eye that he didn’t make any progressions. He’d lock on to 1 receiver and throw there.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » October 25th, 2020, 6:56 am

Shelley= Kent Meyers
These users thanked the author Machismo for the post:
AggieBlues

KissMyAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by KissMyAg » October 25th, 2020, 8:01 am

Thanks for posting AZ. Don’t pay too much attention to this board after a loss, a bunch of posters just love to play arm chair AD and fire everyone. We pass to our TEnds around here, look at Dax Raymond.

Keep posting around here and don’t let the whiney little girls deter you from GA and the coaches.
These users thanked the author KissMyAg for the post (total 2):
Stockypoo2212AZ4AggieNation

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 25th, 2020, 8:09 am

AZ4AggieNation wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 3:34 am
Full disclaimer here; feedback is very welcome. Not one with shallow feelers!!!

My first full Aggie game and really excited I was to watch Broc play earlier tonight. I can tell you he felt bummed with the L but said the team wasn’t holding heads down at all on the bus home!

I’ve read the posts after game tonight. Must admit the mostly anemic offense and basic play calling, caught me off guard but yes 2nd half improved. I was expecting more from JS but is first game with team ya know but I’d like to see him not telegraph every throw and maybe look to 2nd/3rd options and he never once really looked to middle or any seam routes in space. He just never looked comfortable back there it seemed not did he run much!

Broc was excited y’all and said he felt so blessed to be able to play on almost every special team package and got in on most of the third downs lining up on the line and also out wide. Such an experience for a freshman!

I’ve read some mention they didn’t use TE’s much at all. Well maybe dad goggles (feel free to give crap back to me...) but Broc when in on third and 4th downs, seemed to get open on several routes in the seam and even a few 5-8 yard hitch routes in space, which I felt would have given JS some confidence completing those routes and even moving the chains. I didn’t see JS look his way once on a route; it was really odd..whether he hits Broc or any other TE..ya gotta use them at times to keep drives going for our WR’s and RB’s to also then be able to make the big plays. If ya watch the last drive like 3rd or 4th down and like 12; Broc was wide open for 15+ yard in the seam..JS never looked and threw ball into triple coverage to outside WR.

I just hope the O gets more creative is what I’m saying and they use all their weapons; passing game and running game! I was not around when Columbi or Peasley played before so I can’t xomment. I know Broc has mentioned JS is a really cool guy rhough!

Feel free to tell me to pound sand on my words as a fan and Dad of an Aggie. Just know Broc felt blessed to play tonight and I’m sure he’ll only grow from the experience and really hopes he gets some throws in coming games and can help his new brothers get some W’s.

I remain very optimistic moving forward my new Aggie kinsmen!!!
Thanks for posting, tell your boy to have the team keep their heads high. Shelley looked like the game speed was way to fast for him. Not all his fault as the other players need to get open and make plays. I was encouraged by the power run game in the 2nd half, but we need to get some more explosive plays. I did not see the super athleticism from Shelley which is disappointing. I am excited to see how much we improve to game 2.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

coolag

Post by coolag » October 25th, 2020, 1:38 pm

KissMyAg wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:01 am
Thanks for posting AZ. Don’t pay too much attention to this board after a loss, a bunch of posters just love to play arm chair AD and fire everyone. We pass to our TEnds around here, look at Dax Raymond.

Keep posting around here and don’t let the whiney little girls deter you from GA and the coaches.
That's sexist.

Regulator of Class

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 25th, 2020, 2:28 pm

coolag wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 1:38 pm
KissMyAg wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 8:01 am

That's sexist.
Yea because Im no whiner!!!
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 3):
USU78AZ4AggieNationGUS

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 26th, 2020, 1:43 am

Well said @AZ4AggieNation! It's like our offense is allergic to the middle of the field!
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 2):
AZ4AggieNationAggiePT

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » October 29th, 2020, 9:55 am

Machismo wrote:Shelley= Kent Meyers
Nah, Kent Myers was a good runner and actually beat Boise state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author donlarson8 for the post:
JSHarvey

Stockypoo2212

Post by Stockypoo2212 » October 29th, 2020, 11:46 am

donlarson8 wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 9:55 am

Be real. Kent didn't beat boise state. It was the defense forcing 7 turnovers in the first half. And I think we had 2 or 3 defensive touchdowns
These users thanked the author Stockypoo2212 for the post:
MrBiggle

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 29th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Anyone who read the threads about Colombi leaving knows I wasn't happy about it. However, let's give Shelley more than one game before we completely write him off.

Myers did beat Boise State with the help of 8 turnovers. He was fine in that game with not a ton of pressure after what the defense gave him. However he was also part of an even worse beatdown to Boise State in 2014 and that was with a much better team around him than what Shelley has and of course lost again in 2016.

Personally I am not fully judging Shelley until the Nevada game. If he plays well against SDSU, it is a bonus.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
3rdGenAggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 29th, 2020, 1:29 pm

If it is ok to rant about the anemic play calling let me say that the tight ends did not block that well they ran the wrong route on a critical 3rd down play, we need Carson back asap.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 29th, 2020, 3:47 pm

Stockypoo2212 wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 11:46 am
donlarson8 wrote:

Be real. Kent didn't beat boise state. It was the defense forcing 7 turnovers in the first half. And I think we had 2 or 3 defensive touchdowns
Yeah but Kent sure capitalized on those TOs. He played that first half out of his mind compared to the rest of his career. He was hot or cold his first 2 seasons and had some good games but never progressed and seemed to lose his confidence when the team went on a slide after that game.

Hopefully, Shelley's career will take the opposite course beginning Saturday.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 29th, 2020, 8:19 pm

hickaggie wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 3:47 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
donlarson8 wrote:

Yeah but Kent sure capitalized on those TOs. He played that first half out of his mind compared to the rest of his career. He was hot or cold his first 2 seasons and had some good games but never progressed and seemed to lose his confidence when the team went on a slide after that game.

KM was 17/24 for 157 yards and 3 TDs. No interceptions. Ran for 63 yards and a TD on 14 carries. He played very well that night. That was a weird year. Struggled with SUU in the opener (Keeton was still our starter and was clearly diminished) and then beat Boise by 26 later in the year.

stang

Post by stang » October 29th, 2020, 8:30 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:Anyone who read the threads about Colombi leaving knows I wasn't happy about it. However, let's give Shelley more than one game before we completely write him off.

Myers did beat Boise State with the help of 8 turnovers. He was fine in that game with not a ton of pressure after what the defense gave him. However he was also part of an even worse beatdown to Boise State in 2014 and that was with a much better team around him than what Shelley has and of course lost again in 2016.

Personally I am not fully judging Shelley until the Nevada game. If he plays well against SDSU, it is a bonus.
I’m in the exact same boat. I’ve had very serious doubts about Shelley all along, and I was incredibly bummed when I heard Colombi is leaving. But one game against a formidable defense doesn’t really show much. Unfortunately, this week things don’t get much easier from a QB’s standpoint, but Shelley at least deserves the benefit of getting a game or two against non-powerhouse teams under his belt before I’m willing to call it a failure.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 29th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 8:19 pm
hickaggie wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 3:47 pm
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
donlarson8 wrote:

KM was 17/24 for 157 yards and 3 TDs. No interceptions. Ran for 63 yards and a TD on 14 carries. He played very well that night. That was a weird year. Struggled with SUU in the opener (Keeton was still our starter and was clearly diminished) and then beat Boise by 26 later in the year.
And then, after smacking Boise State, USU lost something like 13 of their next 16 games. That was a weird stretch.
These users thanked the author 3rdGenAggie for the post:
Intermeddler

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

sambonethegreat
Has thanked: 0

Post by sambonethegreat » October 29th, 2020, 8:49 pm

hickaggie wrote:
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
donlarson8 wrote:

SDSU straight up broke Kent Myers. The kid never played well again after that. Well, except maybe for the BYU 2017 game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 30th, 2020, 8:31 am

sambonethegreat wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 8:49 pm
hickaggie wrote:
Stockypoo2212 wrote:
donlarson8 wrote:

SDSU straight up broke Kent Myers. The kid never played well again after that. Well, except maybe for the BYU 2017 game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

I don't ever remember a quarterback getting demolished so many times, so consistently as what SDSU did to Kent Myers that night. He was never the same after that. I actually thought Kent was a great talent up until that game. Afterwards he played extremely tentative and was no longer as big of a threat on his feet as he was before.

Locked Previous topicNext topic