End the Shelley experiment

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hickaggie

End the Shelley experiment

Post by hickaggie » October 24th, 2020, 8:57 pm

He's not a QB. He's not a good athlete. He's not a instinctive football player. His throws are limited to short field outs and quick slants. He does not run the read well. He doesn't have pocket presence. He stares down receivers and takes 3 seconds to get into his progressions unless he is throwing to presnap read. He can't see over the line.

I don't know who we have with the young guys but they should be rotating through them to see if there is anything for the future. No use crying over spilt milk or Henry Colombi. Move on now.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post:
Machismo

Intermeddler

Re: End the Shelley experiment

Post by Intermeddler » October 24th, 2020, 8:59 pm

Agreed. My expectations were low but I was really surprised how poorly he throws the ball.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 24th, 2020, 9:00 pm

Again, did you guys watch ANY of his film from Utah? I mean, this was obvious from a mile away. The guy was not even allowed to be a QB anymore at a school that has been mostly a QB graveyard for the better part of a decade.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 24th, 2020, 9:04 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:00 pm
Again, did you guys watch ANY of his film from Utah? I mean, this was obvious from a mile away. The guy was not even allowed to be a QB anymore at a school that has been mostly a QB graveyard for the better part of a decade.
No, I don't pay attention to the Utes. I do think it was a bad idea to recruit a QB who was forced to change positions. I thought he would be better at improvising and an asset to the runnng game with the read. He is not either.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » October 24th, 2020, 9:04 pm

I’ll admit I was defending GA when the move was originally made, but looking back now after seeing how Colombi has done and how Shelley looked tonight, it was stupid, stupid, stupid. Coaches always should look for the best talent and bring it in, but what made Shelley so talented that he just couldn’t be passed up on? There’s a reason he fell out of the rotation and was being moved to safety. If we continue to struggle this season with him at QB, blame should lie solely on GA.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 24th, 2020, 9:06 pm

I’m done with Gary over it. We could’ve had 3 more years of Colombi but Gary‘s ineptness lead to this debacle.

Gary does not have a good football mind. He was a great motivator and leader of young men. The motivator part seems to be gone now so I’m off the bandwagon with him.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Intermeddler

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 24th, 2020, 9:08 pm

Oh brother.....you guys are emotional. Your husbands should take away your phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post (total 3):
MaverickAggieEl Sapooleblu111

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 24th, 2020, 9:09 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:06 pm
I’m done with Gary over it. We could’ve had 3 more years of Colombi but Gary‘s ineptness lead to this debacle.

Gary does not have a good football mind. He was a great motivator and leader of young men. The motivator part seems to be gone now so I’m off the bandwagon with him.
Do you think we get the Oregon State deal where he lets us off the hook for everything?
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
Roy McAvoy

coolag

Post by coolag » October 24th, 2020, 9:11 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:08 pm
Oh brother.....you guys are emotional. Your husbands should take away your phones.

That's sexist.

Regulator of Class

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 24th, 2020, 9:11 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Did you see any promise from Shelley in that game that would lead you to believe he will be a QB someday. He's a frickin senior..lol.

Did you see that post he missed with no pressure and the guy wide open. He threw it to the outside of both the defender and the receiver by about 10 yards after he wound up for about 3 seconds. That was an auto TD with any HS QB.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 24th, 2020, 9:12 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Again, did you guys watch ANY of his film from Utah? I mean, this was obvious from a mile away. The guy was not even allowed to be a QB anymore at a school that has been mostly a QB graveyard for the better part of a decade.
It was obvious from a mile away to everybody except to Gary and the usual homers.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 24th, 2020, 9:12 pm

coolag wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:11 pm
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

That's sexist.
Kinda made me laugh

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 24th, 2020, 9:13 pm

hickaggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Did you see any promise from Shelley in that game that would lead you to believe he will be a QB someday. He's a frickin senior..lol.

Did you see that post he missed with no pressure and the guy wide open. He threw it to the outside of both the defender and the receiver by about 10 yards after he wound up for about 3 seconds. That was an auto TD with any HS QB.
Take your make up off and get ready for bed. You’ve got church early in the morning.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
El Sapo

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 24th, 2020, 9:14 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:

It is a message board after a loss. This is therapy for fans to come here and vent.

I agree it isn't the end of the world. Tough loss and we didn't look good, but we'll see how the team responds moving forward. We weren't exactly supposed to be great this year. This is really a season building into 2021where there will be much higher expectations.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » October 24th, 2020, 9:15 pm

I saw fight and care factor and some physicality in the second half on both sides of the ball.

I figured this would be a tough match up for us right out of the gate and it proved to be that. Boise is going to be good this year and I think we will fare pretty well against the rest of the schedule.

A lot to be frustrated about tonight for sure...poor tackling among others...but there were some positives and I think we’ll see improvement and feel better after next week.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 24th, 2020, 9:16 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:13 pm
hickaggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Take your make up off and get ready for bed. You’ve got church early in the morning.

Seriously though, I'm asking your football opinion. What do you see that leads you to believe he should be on the football field or can become a QB someday? Am I missing some hidden attribute that will make itself known in the next few weeks or do we live or die the whole year with Dive left and dive right to Warren?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 24th, 2020, 9:16 pm

2004AG wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:12 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:Again, did you guys watch ANY of his film from Utah? I mean, this was obvious from a mile away. The guy was not even allowed to be a QB anymore at a school that has been mostly a QB graveyard for the better part of a decade.
It was obvious from a mile away to everybody except to Gary and the usual homers.

Yeah, I certainly didn't like it and argued with many in a few of those really long threads back in July.
It was crazy so many people were attacking Colombi, comparing him to Danny Berger, saying he was a quitter, blah blah blah. By that same logic, Joe Burrows and Justin Fields are quitters. Happy for Colombi today, wish he was in an Aggie uniform.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
JSHarvey

coolag

Post by coolag » October 24th, 2020, 9:16 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Good call Mrs. Andersen

Regulator of Class

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 24th, 2020, 9:17 pm

breadysmith wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:15 pm
I saw fight and care factor and some physicality in the second half on both sides of the ball.

I figured this would be a tough match up for us right out of the gate and it proved to be that. Boise is going to be good this year and I think we will fare pretty well against the rest of the schedule.

A lot to be frustrated about tonight for sure...poor tackling among others...but there were some positives and I think we’ll see improvement and feel better after next week.

I don’t even care about the fact that we were absolutely demolished and looked like we didn’t belong on the field with an mwc foe.

I care that Shelley looks like the same guy I saw at Utah that can’t really play the QB position and we ran a really solid QB out of town for it.

Not looking forward to 3 more years of Shelley.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
Aggie19ineptimusprimeJSHarvey

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 24th, 2020, 9:20 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

Seriously though, I'm asking your football opinion. What do you see that leads you to believe he should be on the football field or can become a QB someday? Am I missing some hidden attribute that will make itself known in the next few weeks or do we live or die the whole year with Dive left and dive right to Warren?
breadysmith wrote:

I didn't see any change in the D but agree on the O-line and Warren. That's not the topic though. I think the O has some really good pieces that are going to waste. Maybe he's the best we got but like Hawaii said we're playing for next year and I don't see Shelley wasting young guys reps is productive.

MaverickAggie

Post by MaverickAggie » October 24th, 2020, 9:22 pm

Colombi would be starting if he was here no question. Shelley shouldn't be playing QB and I'm not sure he is athletic enough to play any other position. I wish we would have seen more of Peasley. Maybe give Legas a shot, can't be worse than Shelley.
These users thanked the author MaverickAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 24th, 2020, 9:24 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
Like I said, my expectations were low based on what I’d seen but he failed to meet even that low bar. I thought he at least would look like Kent Myers but I’d say he was worse than that.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 24th, 2020, 9:30 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:17 pm

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 24th, 2020, 9:31 pm

treesap32 wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:30 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Shelley is a JR and this season doesn’t count towards eligibility. He’s here for 3 years if he wants to be.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 24th, 2020, 9:33 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:24 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
Like I said, my expectations were low based on what I’d seen but he failed to meet even that low bar. I thought he at least would look like Kent Myers but I’d say he was worse than that.
I would take Kent back at this point. And to be honest that is not a real pretty move.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » October 24th, 2020, 9:33 pm

hickaggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

breadysmith wrote:

I didn't see any change in the D but agree on the O-line and Warren. That's not the topic though. I think the O has some really good pieces that are going to waste. Maybe he's the best we got but like Hawaii said we're playing for next year and I don't see Shelley wasting young guys reps is productive.
It wasn’t a great night for him but I’m willing to give him a larger sample size before I decide he’s worthless

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 24th, 2020, 9:35 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:31 pm
treesap32 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Shelley is a JR and this season doesn’t count towards eligibility. He’s here for 3 years if he wants to be.
I know tonight sucked, but I would give it a few more weeks. If Shelley isn't much better next week, you not only won't have to worry about 3 more years of Shelley, you won't have to worry about 3 more weeks.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 24th, 2020, 9:36 pm

breadysmith wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:33 pm
hickaggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

breadysmith wrote:

It wasn’t a great night for him but I’m willing to give him a larger sample size before I decide he’s worthless

The game was enough for me. He's a 4th year junior and although Boise is difficult for any QB it is obvious he lacks the fundamentals to play the position and he's been playing football too long to believe that he will suddenly gain QB instincts and talent. If he was a great athlete and had some football instints I can live with that at QB. But he has none of that.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 24th, 2020, 9:38 pm

breadysmith wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:33 pm
hickaggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

breadysmith wrote:

Larger sample size? I guess you missed his two years at Utah and the fact that Utah moved him to defense because they realized he couldn’t play the QB position?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 24th, 2020, 9:48 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:31 pm
treesap32 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
Intermeddler

sneed

Post by sneed » October 24th, 2020, 9:55 pm

There is really only one position you don’t take from Utah. We did it. Hope he gets better.

Even if we are a good running team it might get a little boring watching 20 runs up the middle a game.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 24th, 2020, 9:59 pm

sneed wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:55 pm
There is really only one position you don’t take from Utah. We did it. Hope he gets better.

Even if we are a good running team it might get a little boring watching 20 runs up the middle a game.
Not boring to me if Warren and the O-line are rolling. But teams like SDSU being able to put 8 in the box is a tough road to hoe.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 24th, 2020, 10:03 pm

sneed wrote:
October 24th, 2020, 9:55 pm

I just want victories. Watching runs up the middle for scores so long as we win that is all that matters. I just want to see victories how we get there in terms of play calling is not as much of concern for me. Granted if we don't win and we run the ball up the middle for 20 times a game it will get old.

ususports

Post by ususports » October 24th, 2020, 11:07 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

I am not sure the people you are accusing are the emotional ones.

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » October 25th, 2020, 1:31 am

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:

What the (I can't express myself without swearing) does this mean? This disaster is on Gary and no one else. We should should have had a much better quarterback than we saw tonight. That offense was horrid and the defense wasn’t much better.

Locked Previous topicNext topic