Reasons For Optimism

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BLUERUFiO

Reasons For Optimism

Post by BLUERUFiO » October 19th, 2020, 5:20 pm

I love the pre-season because I get to be unrealistically optimistic. I want to hear your strongest reason for being optimistic about our team this year:

Mine: The return to the 3-4 Defense. Like seriously, WTF was that last year? I thought the reason for going to 3-4 in the first place made a lot of sense (great DLs are very hard to come by while we can find more LBs bodies, etc.). I think we have some great coaches on the D this year and I'm OPTIMISTIC the change to 3-4 will pay dividends.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post (total 2):
slcaggaggies22

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aggie19

Re: Reasons For Optimism

Post by Aggie19 » October 19th, 2020, 5:26 pm

I'm optimistic for the defense as well, but I'm more optimistic about our offense. I love the move back to focus on the run and I'm optimistic that now that we're not trying to make the system fit a player, and a new OC, we can really get clicking and controlling the ball, which will help the defense too.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOaggies22

Go Aggies!

stang

Post by stang » October 19th, 2020, 5:44 pm

My main source for optimism this season is the run game. I think we have an above average offensive line and at least three very good running backs. While I have my reservations about Shelley and our receivers, if we can run an offense similar to the San Francisco 49ers centered around runs from multiple backs and short, high-percentage passes, I do think this could be an effective offense. I don’t think this offense has the capability to have many downfield throws and constant hurry up pace, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be effective.
These users thanked the author stang for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOslcaggaggies22

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 19th, 2020, 5:49 pm

What I like the best on Offense is dumping that sprint down the field. I like having a possession receiver that is 6'6" tall. I thought we were horrible inside the red zone so experience in the O line and different play calling should help.

Defense is still a question mark for me, but I do like having experience at both D ends, linebackers are a question for me but the secondary should be good..

I hope the field goal kicker is nearly as good as dom.was
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 4):
slcaggBLUERUFiOaggies22sstrasser

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » October 19th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 5:26 pm
I'm optimistic for the defense as well, but I'm more optimistic about our offense. I love the move back to focus on the run and I'm optimistic that now that we're not trying to make the system fit a player, and a new OC, we can really get clicking and controlling the ball, which will help the defense too.
100% agree a ground and pound, TOP, type offense is great for a defense.
USU78aggies22

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 19th, 2020, 6:37 pm

My reason for optimism is we have Maile and Collins back on defense and our Scheme on defense is much more suited for our team. If we can stay healthy I think we will see good improvement on defense.

Offense who knows. To much change in philosophy, coaching and personnel to have any idea.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 3):
slcaggBLUERUFiOaggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 19th, 2020, 6:46 pm

I like the move to a more run-heavy attack, but I would say I am only cautiously optimistic about the move. It has seemed to be quite a while since we’ve been able to run the ball with any level of consistency.

I’m hoping that was just a function of scheme, but I think I’ll have to see it to believe it.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
slcaggBLUERUFiOaggies22

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » October 19th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Excited to not have being under center on 3rd and 1 be the equivalent of an Elvis sighting.
These users thanked the author GeoAg for the post (total 6):
slcaggBLUERUFiOIdaAg93bluegrousesam tingeyaggies22

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 19th, 2020, 8:00 pm

I love this thread. Let’s try to enjoy the season regardless.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOaggies22

Full

Post by Full » October 19th, 2020, 8:29 pm

I’m optimistic about the running game. Look when GA has had a NFL caliber back and a serviceable QB who is a running threat at any time. We also have an offensive line that is not a complete rebuild, that gets to run block first.

As for the defense, I think limiting the number of snaps will allow them to slow the opposing running game more effectively and also limit injuries. The secondary is seasoned and they should be good.

My optimism comes from GA, the defense, and the offensive line, with coach Woods, trying to return to what they have successfully done in the past. Last season I think we were trying to have a coach use a system on offense outside of his expertise, and a defensive coach trying to use his area of expertise to fit players into his system. I’m not certain the changes will work, but I am more optimistic than I was at the end of last season.
These users thanked the author Full for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOaggies22oleblu111

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » October 19th, 2020, 8:32 pm

Full wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 8:29 pm
Last season I think we were trying to have a coach use a system on offense outside of his expertise, and a defensive coach trying to use his area of expertise to fit players into his system. I’m not certain the changes will work, but I am more optimistic than I was at the end of last season.
Wow, great way to put it for the main issue on both sides of the ball. I think you nailed it.

Also, I forgot we got our old OL coach back. That makes me even more optimistic.
aggies22Full

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 19th, 2020, 8:32 pm

I am optimistic that we will be able to sustain some long drives and consistently string together multiple first downs even if we don’t have a ton of deep balls. Besides having talented backs we also have the most athletic QB in the conference...a true dual threat. I think Shelley will surprise and will force defenses to devote a spy on the QB, which will also open up the passing game. Thompkins and Nathan are playmakers in space and McGriff is our red zone and sideline threat. Not to mention some formidable tight ends and coaches committed to using them. I’m excited to see this offense come together and for Shelley to bring an electric element to the game.

I am also optimistic that our Defense will be back to being aggressive and allowing our defensive playmakers to disrupt things via multiple fronts and blitzes.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiOaggies22

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 19th, 2020, 8:46 pm

We will have our best group of running backs since the days of Turbin/Smith/Williams, the most athletic two deep of QBs we’ve ever had, and I actually like our starting group of receivers quite a bit.

The defense apparently won the first scrimmage against our offense that looks like the stronger unit on paper, which might suggest they will fare better than many expect. See? So much to be optimistic about.

I can’t believe this is a post that came from me. :lol:
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
BLUERUFiOaggies22AggiePT

ususports

Post by ususports » October 19th, 2020, 9:33 pm

I am optimistic because it is October 19, and we are still undefeated. When was the last time, if ever, that has happened.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggiePT

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 19th, 2020, 9:51 pm

ususports wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 9:33 pm
I am optimistic because it is October 19, and we are still undefeated. When was the last time, if ever, that has happened.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sc ... edule.html
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
aggies22

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » October 20th, 2020, 7:11 am

I’m optimistic because we have changed back our defensive scheme, and I like our change on offense to a heavy run game, I believe this plays to the strength of our line and I feel our skill players are better than a lot of people think
These users thanked the author Agzrule for the post (total 2):
aggies22BLUERUFiO

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 20th, 2020, 7:26 am

An offense that can play keep away and score some + a defense that applies constant pressure and forces mistakes. What's not to like?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 20th, 2020, 7:50 am

I'm optimistic because it is a weird year. We finally get some football. With so much change on both sides of the ball, I am optimistic that these changes can improve this team from last year. I think we have the round hole for the round peg. Let year was a transition year and felt pretty foreign. If the offense wasn't clicking then we would punt it away in 10 seconds over and over again. That would wear down our defense and exacerbate the problem. The 4-3 defense really neutralized some of our greatest weapons. Galeai went from a devastating edge rusher to a non-factor. Injuries also took their toll on the defense. We had to play guys that weren't ready for the speed of D1 football. Some of those guys are now the starters. I'm excited to see if we have any Vigils, Fackrells, or Woodwards in the LB bunch.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
USU78FullBLUERUFiO

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 20th, 2020, 8:02 am

USU78 wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 7:26 am
An offense that can play keep away and score some + a defense that applies constant pressure and forces mistakes. What's not to like?
Agreed. Our 2018 defensive strength came from takeaways more than anything else.
Don’t have the numbers but the 4-3 killed the players flying to the ball and creating turnovers.

2019 -2 TOM
2018 +14 TOM
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 3):
AggiePTUSU78BLUERUFiO

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 20th, 2020, 8:24 am

Be careful with turnover margin. We also gave the ball away more in 2019 than 2018.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 20th, 2020, 8:31 am

I'm optimistic because I'm an Aggie. :-)

No idea how it will turn out, but I'm happy the team is going to play.
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post (total 6):
USU78sam tingeyaggies22Stockypoo2212sstrasserBLUERUFiO

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » October 20th, 2020, 8:41 am

I am optimistic about this season because it will feel good to control the clock and TOP better than last year. Consistant offense usually begins with a solid run game.

Also, I am optimistic about our season because expectation are pretty low. I think an underdog mentality is just what our guys need to bring it each week! Go Aggies!
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post (total 2):
aggies22BLUERUFiO

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 20th, 2020, 11:00 am

I just can't make myself forget the BYU, BSU, and AFA games last year. Now we come in this year with a less skilled QB and pretty much the same defensive personnel, but without Mariner and Repp. I can't get real excited for this season.

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 20th, 2020, 11:11 am

Yossarian wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 11:00 am
I just can't make myself forget the BYU, BSU, and AFA games last year. Now we come in this year with a less skilled QB and pretty much the same defensive personnel, but without Mariner and Repp. I can't get real excited for this season.
Optimism only mr pessimistic. 😉
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkBLUERUFiO

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 20th, 2020, 11:16 am

Im optimistic because we were once doomed with no season and here we are 4 days from kick-off!
Im also optimistic because my favorite human has fully recovered from his shoulder surgery and his hamstring is back to normal.
I BELIEEEEEEVE!!!
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 6):
Sl7vkslcaggsam tingeysstrasserUSU78BLUERUFiO

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 20th, 2020, 11:29 am

taniataylor wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 11:16 am
Im optimistic because we were once doomed with no season and here we are 4 days from kick-off!
Im also optimistic because my favorite human has fully recovered from his shoulder surgery and his hamstring is back to normal.
I BELIEEEEEEVE!!!
This made me smile for a variety reasons. Obviously good health for your son.

But I also somewhat recall you getting confused on the I believe chant back early on in Jordan’s career. The good ole days.

Seriously Tania thanks for being such an interactive and positive part of the board.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 4):
NVAggietaniataylorBLUERUFiOAggiePT

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 20th, 2020, 11:30 am

Yossarian wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 11:00 am
On a serious note I like our receivers. Nathan and thompkins obviously. But Peasley talked up McGriff in his interview. I think he is going to be a very good addition for us.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » October 20th, 2020, 11:57 am

slcagg wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 11:29 am
taniataylor wrote:
I BELIEEEEEEVE!!!

But I also somewhat recall you getting confused on the I believe chant back early on in Jordan’s career. The good ole days.

Seriously Tania thanks for being such an interactive and positive part of the board.

I was definitely on the struggle bus with that chant 😝

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 20th, 2020, 2:13 pm

taniataylor wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 11:57 am
slcagg wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 11:29 am
taniataylor wrote:
I BELIEEEEEEVE!!!

I was definitely on the struggle bus with that chant 😝
Haha good times!

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 20th, 2020, 2:24 pm

I think we may be pleasantly surprised with the offense. The starting O-line and TE are experienced and pretty good when healthy. I like our RBs and Nathan and Tompkins are explosive. Two duel threat QBs with some experience could make this team a bit dangerous if used right.

Kick and punt return game should be really good.

Beyond that I think the optimism is just the unknowns going back to the 3-4 / 3-3-5 with hopefully a little more speed in the LB corp and the secondary. Just excited to see some football more than anything.
These users thanked the author hickaggie for the post (total 4):
slcaggsstrasseraggies22BLUERUFiO

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » October 24th, 2020, 11:40 am

I think Jason Shelley will prove he's the best player on the field. Most games are predicted by the QB matchup and I'd take Shelley against anyone right now. Offense tends to come around slower than defense. We won't have that problem because Shelley will move the ball for us. Boise offense should struggle against GA defense (his strength). This could look like two completely different games being played in each half.

If it ends up close at the end, I hope GA has brought someone he trusts on staff to handle the end game play/clock management decisions.

I'm optimistic.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
BLUERUFiO

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 24th, 2020, 11:52 am

hickaggie wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 2:24 pm
I think we may be pleasantly surprised with the offense. The starting O-line and TE are experienced and pretty good when healthy. I like our RBs and Nathan and Tompkins are explosive. Two duel threat QBs with some experience could make this team a bit dangerous if used right.

Kick and punt return game should be really good.

Beyond that I think the optimism is just the unknowns going back to the 3-4 / 3-3-5 with hopefully a little more speed in the LB corp and the secondary. Just excited to see some football more than anything.
One thing to remember as well. Is almost everyone being interviewed mentions McGriff.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » October 24th, 2020, 12:40 pm

I watched 2 full games with Shelley starting at QB. I was impressed with how he controlled the game and didn’t really force anything. I agree that he’s going to shine. I’m actually really comfortable with him at the helm.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 24th, 2020, 10:08 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:I watched 2 full games with Shelley starting at QB. I was impressed with how he controlled the game and didn’t really force anything. I agree that he’s going to shine. I’m actually really comfortable with him at the helm.
Just slightly off with this prediction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » October 24th, 2020, 10:16 pm

Sadly. Although I don’t really blame Shelley.

Locked Previous topicNext topic