How many wins this 8 game season.

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Re: How many wins this 8 game season.

Post by ineptimusprime » October 2nd, 2020, 11:46 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 10:24 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 10:01 pm
Aglicious wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 11:59 pm
Wow, I'm sort of shocked at the low expectations around here. Is it lack of confidence in GA? Feeling that we lost too many important players? Not experienced enough right now to win? All of the above?

I have said every season that 7 wins is the floor for this program and I'm not varying from that no matter how many games we play.

Now, let me put down my Mountain Dew (real sugar of course - can I get an amen @treesap32?) and remove my deep blue shaded glasses for a moment. Okay, I am willing to make a one-time Covid exception this season and say 5 wins is the floor. We should be better than 5 of these teams without much stretch of the imagination if we stay healthy.
I won’t speak for anyone else, but for me it’s lack of confidence in GA and remembering how last season shook out. Last season was the least fun I’ve had as an Aggie football fan in quite some time.
How many wins is a successful year for you? Or is it the type of football that was played.
It’s both. 4 wins this year is a successful year so long as we don’t get completely railroaded in the losses. Which was the case last year.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » October 3rd, 2020, 1:58 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 8:47 pm
FIVE AND THREE BABY. Let yourself believe in something. It is better to believe and be disappointed than to live a cynical life about the things you love.
I am a 5-3 guy too. I think we can be a little than last year...IF we get good play at quarterback.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
oleblu111

utaggies

Post by utaggies » October 3rd, 2020, 7:52 pm

3-5

We beat NM, CSU and Fresno.

We lose to BSU, Wyo, SDS, Nevada, and AFA

I think we are closer to 2-6 than 4-4.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 3rd, 2020, 8:09 pm

utaggies wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 7:52 pm
3-5

Remember Wyoming just had 3 starters ok defense announce they are sitting out. They also may not be able to practice for a week.

Nevada has been mediocre for a while. I don’t think they have jumped us. But that is just my opinion.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » October 3rd, 2020, 8:12 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 8:09 pm
utaggies wrote:
3-5

Remember Wyoming just had 3 starters ok defense announce they are sitting out. They also may not be able to practice for a week.

Nevada has been mediocre for a while. I don’t think they have jumped us. But that is just my opinion.
Losing in Reno would be a massive dissapointment.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
slcagg

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » October 4th, 2020, 8:19 am

I still remember the loss to AF last year. That was one of the worst losses I can remember. Absolute complete butt kicking. We ended up with 14 yards rushing to their 448. If our D isn't improved in a big way (and it doesn't sound like it is with all the worry about the d-line) I'm worried about getting crushed again. I don't care how many players they are missing. Last year they could have played their cheerleaders and still whooped us.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 4th, 2020, 12:39 pm

YouEssYou wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 8:19 am
I still remember the loss to AF last year. That was one of the worst losses I can remember. Absolute complete butt kicking. We ended up with 14 yards rushing to their 448. If our D isn't improved in a big way (and it doesn't sound like it is with all the worry about the d-line) I'm worried about getting crushed again. I don't care how many players they are missing. Last year they could have played their cheerleaders and still whooped us.
Yeah, it was rough. I hope the plan to return to more of a running team will help us in the AFA game. I have tons of confidence in our running backs. The personnel on the OL looks good too. I have not had confidence in our running game the last few seasons, but I think that might change this year.

But yeah, the D looked embarrassingly unprepared to defend the option. It’ll take a major improvement there to keep this game close. AFA looked really good against Navy yesterday.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
slcagg

AggieSkiBum

Post by AggieSkiBum » October 4th, 2020, 1:03 pm

5-3. I think our running game will be good and keep opposing offenses off the field. Nobody else has had any time to practice either ... which helps us this year more than it helps them.

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » October 4th, 2020, 1:44 pm

My guess is only 3 wins but that's because I doubt we will play the entire 8 game season. I'm thinking 3-3. The optimist in me is glad we're playing football and is thrilled with the idea of only 3 losses on the year

utaggies

Post by utaggies » October 4th, 2020, 4:07 pm

slcagg wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 8:09 pm
utaggies wrote:
3-5

Time will tell. I just remember that many prognosticating college football magazines had us finishing only ahead of NM in the division but at least one had us as the 4th best team in the entire conference. Nevada will be in the running to win its division.

In other words, who the heck knows.

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » October 4th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Okay so here it is.

We beat Boise we go 9-0 and win the conference championship.

We lose to Boise by 7 or less we go 6-2

We lose by any worse we go 5-3

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bybs25 for the post (total 3):
BustaMcNuttslcaggGUS

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 5th, 2020, 9:26 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 9:05 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 8:21 am
Aglicious wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 11:59 pm
Wow, I'm sort of shocked at the low expectations around here. Is it lack of confidence in GA? Feeling that we lost too many important players? Not experienced enough right now to win? All of the above?

I have said every season that 7 wins is the floor for this program and I'm not varying from that no matter how many games we play.

Now, let me put down my Mountain Dew (real sugar of course - can I get an amen @treesap32 ?) and remove my deep blue shaded glasses for a moment. Okay, I am willing to make a one-time Covid exception this season and say 5 wins is the floor. We should be better than 5 of these teams without much stretch of the imagination if we stay healthy.
I think the low expectations are rooted in the relative difficulty of our schedule. This is the toughest conference schedule we will have ever played.
This is the same exact conference schedule we played last year. Granted the games have swapped from road to home vice versa. It will be interesting how it plays out. AF has like 40 players sitting out a lot who played defense, so I doubt they will be the as good as last year.
Here's my opinion of how it relates to last year and how each team is projected.

@Boise (Neutral - More difficult because of Away)
vs. SDSU (Neutral)
@Nevada (Better)
vs. Fresno (Better)
@ Wyoming (Better & a very difficult place to win)
vs. New Mexico (Neutral)
vs. Air Force (Worse & likely much easier than last year)
@ CSU (Better)

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » October 6th, 2020, 9:02 pm

I’m leaning towards 5-3

elcheque2

Post by elcheque2 » October 6th, 2020, 9:51 pm

2-6 #garyout

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 16th, 2020, 3:33 pm

Alright so Bovada has our O/U for wins at 3 wins. If it was 2.5 I would feel really good about betting the over. What say y'all? Worth betting the house on the over?

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 16th, 2020, 3:47 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 8:47 am
First thought was we win maybe 3-4 games but after analyzing every game I feel more confident in our chances to win 5 or 6. Four of our opponents are breaking in new coaches. AF will be short handed, NM is bad, and UNR is unpredictable.

BSU (L) - We aren't there yet. Maybe next year at home we take them down.
SDSU (W) - No Rocky Long pacing the sidelines and the Aztecs take a few games to find themselves. First home game for us and lack of prep by them also a factor this early in the season.
UNR (W) - Nevada is so unpredictable. Beat FSU and SDSU on the road late last season but then lose to UNLV and struggle against Weber and UTEP. This one could go either way but I just think we have better athletes and coaching.
Fresno (W) - New coach for Fresno and we are starting to get into a groove. Too much momentum to lose this one at home.
Wyo (L) - This will be a physical battle. I think Pokes challenge Boise for conference this year. No shame in this loss.
NM (W) - Complete rebuild going on at NM. Hopefully we finally get some backups into a game.
AF (W) - We still have difficulty stopping their running game but better than last year. Their shorthanded defense can't stop us either and we have more explosive plays.
CSU (W) - We always struggle at FOCO but our emergent running game controls the clock and we win in a snowy game.

Go Ags!
I think that is a possible outcome this season, right on

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » October 16th, 2020, 6:31 pm

6-2.
We beat Boise and SDSU. Lose to either UNR or CSU.
My biggest worry is our defense. I think our DL is so thin but our offense will be dramatically better
:thumbsup:

Full

Post by Full » October 17th, 2020, 8:01 am

My guess is 5-2 with one cancellation. I think the ceiling is 7-1 and the basement is 3-5. Aside from Boise, I think we have a 50% chance or greater shot at every team on the schedule.

San Diego State - early in the season, new staff, and they had less preparation time.

Nevada - This team was young last year so they should be better. They also ended the season with a losses to UNLV and Ohio in the bowl game.

Fresno State - They we’re not vey good last season and they now have a lot of new staff including head coach.

Wyoming - Bohl has built the program like he wants with a good ground game but has never really been able to get the passing game better than serviceable. Defense is always good, but there is a new Defensive staff after many moved to Pullman. This combined with a new offensive line could be trouble for the Pokes.

New Mexico - New coach for a team that was bad last year. The AD is fighting to keep the wolves within the University at bay.

Air Force - They are always solid, but they lose a lot of Veteran leadership. Their win against a bad Navy team doesn’t mean a lot. I’m glad this is late in the short season, but I wish it wasn’t the final game of the season for the Cadets.

Colorado State - The rams have been a Passing team with some great wideouts recently. With a new coach intent on running the ball it will take more than an off-season to change the offense and improve from their 4 win season last year.

SLB

Post by SLB » October 17th, 2020, 9:21 am

The question is how many wins this 8 game season?
I say 9.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 17th, 2020, 11:56 pm

SLB wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 9:21 am
The question is how many wins this 8 game season?
I say 9.
9 would put them in an NY6. So would they be 9-1 or 10-0? :joking:

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 19th, 2020, 10:50 am

I'm thinking this is going to be a long year for the Aggies, maybe even a long two years. I'm thinking 3, maybe 4 wins. Next year will be about the same.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
NVAggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 19th, 2020, 11:43 am

I agree with Yossarian. 3-4 wins. We will get blown out in the tough games. Too many changes with scheme this season to really make an impact. I hope I am wrong.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » October 19th, 2020, 11:53 am

I think we win 4 games as we struggle with new schemes, personnel and consistency.
BSU - L
SDSU - L
UNR - W
FSU - W
WYO - L
UNM - W
AFA - L
CSU - W

Go Aggies!

kofdog

Post by kofdog » October 19th, 2020, 2:51 pm

How many wins does one need for bowl games? Are bowls even going to happen?
I wouldn't want to sponsor a bowl that can't have anyone at it.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 19th, 2020, 2:59 pm

kofdog wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 2:51 pm
How many wins does one need for bowl games? Are bowls even going to happen?
I wouldn't want to sponsor a bowl that can't have anyone at it.
Bowls are happening. Two have cancelled but the rest are on. No win requirement for bowls this year. Simply who does the bowls pick.

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » October 20th, 2020, 9:06 am

Full wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 8:01 am
My guess is 5-2 with one cancellation. I think the ceiling is 7-1 and the basement is 3-5. Aside from Boise, I think we have a 50% chance or greater shot at every team on the schedule.

San Diego State - early in the season, new staff, and they had less preparation time.

Nevada - This team was young last year so they should be better. They also ended the season with a losses to UNLV and Ohio in the bowl game.

Fresno State - They we’re not vey good last season and they now have a lot of new staff including head coach.

Wyoming - Bohl has built the program like he wants with a good ground game but has never really been able to get the passing game better than serviceable. Defense is always good, but there is a new Defensive staff after many moved to Pullman. This combined with a new offensive line could be trouble for the Pokes.

New Mexico - New coach for a team that was bad last year. The AD is fighting to keep the wolves within the University at bay.

Air Force - They are always solid, but they lose a lot of Veteran leadership. Their win against a bad Navy team doesn’t mean a lot. I’m glad this is late in the short season, but I wish it wasn’t the final game of the season for the Cadets.

Colorado State - The rams have been a Passing team with some great wideouts recently. With a new coach intent on running the ball it will take more than an off-season to change the offense and improve from their 4 win season last year.
Wyoming returns five starters on the offensive line, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that line

Full

Post by Full » October 20th, 2020, 9:47 am

sancho839 wrote:
October 20th, 2020, 9:06 am
Wyoming returns five starters on the offensive line, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say with that line
Dang. I thought I read there was no returning starters. Now I see why Pokes seemed more excited about this team than I thought they should be. I still think the loss of the defensive staff will be a problem for a team that historically doesn’t score a lot of points. Last season they held opponents to less than 18 points in 7 of 8 of their wins, with Mizzou scoring 31. In their losses opponents scored just 20-26 points.

Locked Previous topicNext topic