Depth chart predictions

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by brownjeans » September 15th, 2020, 9:09 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 8:58 pm
Offensive rebounding numbers are interesting - and not what I expected.

USU's ORb %, though better than average the last two years, were not all that significant against the norm and even less than many previous seasons.

At the other end of the court is where the excellence shines. The last two years were significantly better than the norm as well as better than any of the previous 10 years.

I know we rebounded well, but I expected more of that to come on the offensive glass.
Offensive rebounding seems to be less of a an emphasis these days. Greg Popovich has all but abandoned it. Something about it creating greater risk of being beat in transition.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 16th, 2020, 4:29 pm

nswaggie wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 5:24 pm
slcagg wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 2:30 pm
nswaggie wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 1:52 pm
This team has the potential to be very deep. It will be interesting to see who emerges and if multiple guys emerge does Smith go with a deep rotation? The last couple years it seems with the exception of mop up duty his rotation only went about 8 deep. Will there be a guy that demands 35+ minutes like Merrill or will those minutes get split up between more guys?

I don’t think Quetta has the motor to go 35+ not to mention foul trouble issues.
One interesting thing will be if zapala is as good as advertised we may not require queta to play 35 mins per night.
True, at the end of year last year we typically would see Anderson and Bean playing the 4 and 5 when Quetta went out. I wonder if that was more of a stop gap because the other centers weren’t ready or if it was strategic, it felt more like a stop gap but was effective at times.
Coach Smith commented on multiple occasions that Bean and Anderson have strong chemistry on the court. I'd like to see more of that this year!

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 16th, 2020, 4:53 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 4:29 pm
nswaggie wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 5:24 pm
slcagg wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 2:30 pm
nswaggie wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 1:52 pm
This team has the potential to be very deep. It will be interesting to see who emerges and if multiple guys emerge does Smith go with a deep rotation? The last couple years it seems with the exception of mop up duty his rotation only went about 8 deep. Will there be a guy that demands 35+ minutes like Merrill or will those minutes get split up between more guys?

I don’t think Quetta has the motor to go 35+ not to mention foul trouble issues.
One interesting thing will be if zapala is as good as advertised we may not require queta to play 35 mins per night.
True, at the end of year last year we typically would see Anderson and Bean playing the 4 and 5 when Quetta went out. I wonder if that was more of a stop gap because the other centers weren’t ready or if it was strategic, it felt more like a stop gap but was effective at times.
Coach Smith commented on multiple occasions that Bean and Anderson have strong chemistry on the court. I'd like to see more of that this year!
To this end, Bean spent the offseason working on his 3pt shot. I'm curious to see if we'll have both of them on the floor with Queta, or of this will be more of a small-ball situation. If we do have all three of them at the same time (or someone else at the 5), does Anderson go 3, Bean go 4? Or vice versa?

Just from what I saw last year, Anderson seems like he'd be a better 3. He looks very comfortable handling the ball as a guard. But he's just so versatile, I think he could be put just about everywhere. While Bean will obviously a key offensive and defensive player in a way that I don't anticipate Anderson will be, I don't know if Bean has the same positional range that Anderson does.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 16th, 2020, 4:59 pm

I like the idea of Andersen playing the 3 and dragging a wing player into the post. He is much stronger than most threes in the league and has good enough post moves to either demand a double-team or a match-up problem for his defender. He is a versatile player that I expect to be a central figure in the offense this year.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggieaggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 17th, 2020, 7:25 am

There aren't many offensive rebound to be had when Sam is shooting lights out.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
AggiePT

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 17th, 2020, 12:18 pm

NVAggie wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 7:25 am
There aren't many offensive rebound to be had when Sam is shooting lights out.
There aren't many offensive rebounds to be had by the rest of the team when Bean is on the court.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
AggiePTBLUERUFiO

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 17th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 16th, 2020, 4:59 pm
I like the idea of Andersen playing the 3 and dragging a wing player into the post. He is much stronger than most threes in the league and has good enough post moves to either demand a double-team or a match-up problem for his defender. He is a versatile player that I expect to be a central figure in the offense this year.
The key to a wing player this year is being able to spread the floor so we can run the offense through queta in the post. Just my opinion. That could be Anderson or maybe someone else.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 17th, 2020, 12:28 pm

slcagg wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 12:20 pm
Yossarian wrote:
The key to a wing player this year is being able to spread the floor so we can run the offense through queta in the post. Just my opinion. That could be Anderson or maybe someone else.
Anderson has shown he can stretch the floor past the three-point line. He did it against LSU and he had two big threes against SDSU in the tournament championship game. He looked comfortable shooting from distance. I also like his strength in the post. I think he is our most versatile player.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieAggiePT

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 17th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 12:28 pm
slcagg wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Anderson has shown he can stretch the floor past the three-point line. He did it against LSU and he had two big threes against SDSU in the tournament championship game. He looked comfortable shooting from distance. I also like his strength in the post. I think he is our most versatile player.
Sounds good to me! He hit some timely 3s last year for sure!

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 17th, 2020, 4:33 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 17th, 2020, 12:28 pm
slcagg wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Agreed. I'm not sure how his handles are, and I don't know if he'd be comfortable at the 1. However, from his play last year, the 2-5 are all positions he can fill in the right situation while still playing well. I love his game, and I'm excited we've got an official NCAA start time now.

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » September 20th, 2020, 10:03 am

I think most of you are underestimating Zahar and Max. Mark my words. Stars of their national teams who competed toe-to-toe with the USA and Poland, among others.
These users thanked the author AggieFBObsession for the post (total 5):
slcaggReal Life Aggieaggies22BLUERUFiOIdaAg93

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 20th, 2020, 10:39 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 10:03 am
I think most of you are underestimating Zahar and Max. Mark my words. Stars of their national teams who competed toe-to-toe with the USA and Poland, among others.
It would be a big deal if even one of them comes in and can compete at a high level this year. Hope they can.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » September 20th, 2020, 2:06 pm

We know very little about them. Has anyone seen them in practice? How do they look? We need a report from practice!

SLB

Post by SLB » October 14th, 2020, 10:18 am

These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 3):
sam tingeyBLUERUFiOIdaAg93

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » October 14th, 2020, 11:12 am

Man, those jerseys are so clean.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
3rdGenAggie

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » October 14th, 2020, 8:52 pm

We have so much emerging talent on this team. I keep thinking about Ashworth and McChesney and what they're going to bring as freshman. We might have a rough month or two getting minutes to out new talent, but once they catch up with the speed of D1 ball, it'll be a ride.
I've already scheduled myself off for March 10-13th!!
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post (total 2):
slcaggutaggies

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » October 15th, 2020, 9:24 pm

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:08 am
My current depth chart goes as follows...
Starting 5:
PG: Marco Anthony
SG: Sean Bairstow
SF: Alphonso Anderson
PF: Justin Bean
C: Neemias Queta

Bench:
6: Liam McChesney
7: Brock Miller
8: Steven Ashworth
9: Trevin Dorius
10: Jakub Karwowski
11: Mathew Wickizer
12: Rollie Worster (Red Shirt)
13: Szymon Zapala (Red Shirt)
14: Max Shulga (Red Shirt)
Out of Ashworth, Worster and Shulga, I think only one will redshirt. If two of them sit that leaves Smith with just three guards on his active roster, unless you include Miller which I don't. Even last year when Smith had Porter/Brito/Merrill, a really solid primary rotation, he still had Bairstow for depth even though Bairstow was about as raw as any of this year's freshman guards. And I think Ashworth is more likely to redshirt unless he's really developed his body from his 155 lbs high school days.
Ashworth released a tweet of him shooting around. He looks like he’s filled out. Not sure the context of that vid. I don’t think he’s going to redshirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » October 15th, 2020, 9:47 pm

Don't you have one more Eastern European guard?

AGGIEinIOWA

Depth chart predictions

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 15th, 2020, 10:02 pm

nvspuds wrote:Don't you have one more Eastern European guard?
Yessir. Zahar Vedischev. 6’6” Russian Guard. I think it’ll be difficult to redshirt him. He can stretch a defense with his range.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 15th, 2020, 10:20 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 10:02 pm
nvspuds wrote:Don't you have one more Eastern European guard?
Yessir. Zahar Vedischev. 6’6” Russian Guard. I think it’ll be difficult to redshirt him. He can stretch a defense with his range.
Averaged 17 ppg in the 2019 fiba was World Cup including 20 plus vs the USA.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 15th, 2020, 10:23 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 9:24 pm
I am an Aggie Man wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
Starting 5:

Bench:
Out of Ashworth, Worster and Shulga, I think only one will redshirt. If two of them sit that leaves Smith with just three guards on his active roster, unless you include Miller which I don't. Even last year when Smith had Porter/Brito/Merrill, a really solid primary rotation, he still had Bairstow for depth even though Bairstow was about as raw as any of this year's freshman guards. And I think Ashworth is more likely to redshirt unless he's really developed his body from his 155 lbs high school days.
Ashworth released a tweet of him shooting around. He looks like he’s filled out. Not sure the context of that vid. I don’t think he’s going to redshirt.

I agree with you. I think their is a good chance he starts with Anthony and likely bairstow.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » October 16th, 2020, 12:51 am

slcagg wrote:
October 15th, 2020, 10:23 pm
IdaAg93 wrote:
I am an Aggie Man wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
Starting 5:

Bench:

I agree with you. I think their is a good chance he starts with Anthony and likely bairstow.
100% agree with your starting 5 (one I predicted a while ago) and think McChesney with his size and shooting, will likely be the first player off the beach (at the 3/4) followed by Ashworth to add depth at PG. After that, it's a bit hazy. I know Smith LOVES, LOVES Brock Miller :headscratch: so he'll get minutes early in the season but hopefully Vedischev will take those minutes as the season progresses. Stastny, Worster, Wickizer, and maybe Shulga, get redshirted.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 16th, 2020, 7:58 am

IdaAg93 wrote:
I am an Aggie Man wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
Starting 5:

Bench:

I've said this several times in this thread. There is ZERO chance Steven Ashworth redshirts.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
slcaggUSU78Real Life Aggie

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 16th, 2020, 8:20 am

With winter sports athletes being granted an extra year, would we really want to (or need to) redshirt anyone? I mean maybe we want to wait and redshirt some of those same players next year when the eligibility clock is turned back on and not waste a redshirt in a season that doesn't count against eligibility anyway. I'm sure the NCAA policy has some specific wording and details around this so maybe you can't do as I suggest, but just wondering.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 16th, 2020, 8:26 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 7:58 am
IdaAg93 wrote:
I am an Aggie Man wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
Starting 5:

Bench:

I've said this several times in this thread. There is ZERO chance Steven Ashworth redshirts.
Interpreting 22s note: Next great local Aggie guard.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 16th, 2020, 8:27 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 8:20 am
With winter sports athletes being granted an extra year, would we really want to (or need to) redshirt anyone? I mean maybe we want to wait and redshirt some of those same players next year when the eligibility clock is turned back on and not waste a redshirt in a season that doesn't count against eligibility anyway. I'm sure the NCAA policy has some specific wording and details around this so maybe you can't do as I suggest, but just wondering.
This is a great point.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » October 16th, 2020, 8:43 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 7:58 am
IdaAg93 wrote:
I am an Aggie Man wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
Starting 5:

Bench:

I like your statement of probabilities. :thumbsup: Any other news coming out of camp so far?

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » October 16th, 2020, 9:52 am

@22, Now that they've practiced and got some time together, does your other previous statement hold true, that Zapala is too good to redshirt? Is he looking to play at the 4, or will he be Queta's key backup and plan to get all his minutes as center?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 16th, 2020, 10:16 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 9:52 am
@22, Now that they've practiced and got some time together, does your other previous statement hold true, that Zapala is too good to redshirt? Is he looking to play at the 4, or will he be Queta's key backup and plan to get all his minutes as center?
At this point in time, the only thing I can tell you about Szymon is he is NOT a 4. He has 5 skills and he can pop out and hit a 3 if the opportunity comes up.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggieslcagg

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » October 16th, 2020, 10:27 am

aggies22 wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 10:16 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
At this point in time, the only thing I can tell you about Szymon is he is NOT a 4. He has 5 skills and he can pop out and hit a 3 if the opportunity comes up.
Thank you! That clarifies a lot of questions I'd had about his role.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggies22

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » October 16th, 2020, 11:31 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 10:27 am
aggies22 wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
Thank you! That clarifies a lot of questions I'd had about his role.
In positionless basketball, does this essentially just mean Szymon won’t share the court with someone like Queta/Kuba/Dorius?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 16th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Pacobag wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 11:31 am
In positionless basketball, does this essentially just mean Szymon won’t share the court with someone like Queta/Kuba/Dorius?
Lineup wish:
Queta
Kuba
Dorius
Szymon
McChesney
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 4):
Real Life AggieUSU783rdGenAggieaggies22

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 16th, 2020, 2:36 pm

brownjeans wrote:
Pacobag wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 11:31 am
Lineup wish:
Queta
Kuba
Dorius
Szymon
McChesney
That’s positionless basketball right there! Lol
Not many (college or NBA) teams could throw out a 5 man line-up that averages 7’ ! I’d love for Coach Smith to put that group in together for a few minutes sometime, just to say we did.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post (total 2):
brownjeansBLUERUFiO

I am an Aggie Man

Post by I am an Aggie Man » October 16th, 2020, 11:43 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
I said Zapala wasn't a 4 back in May but guess I lack cred to be believed.
These users thanked the author I am an Aggie Man for the post:
aggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 17th, 2020, 10:04 am

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 11:43 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
I said Zapala wasn't a 4 back in May but guess I lack cred to be believed.
It’s alright a lot of things are repeated on here. Which I need it at least a few times before something sticks.

Locked Previous topicNext topic