Player opt out at USU not allowed?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
stang

Re: Player opt out at USU not allowed?

Post by stang » October 2nd, 2020, 1:13 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 12:51 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 12:01 pm
The news cycle is short but his relationship with his players isn't. Apologize, set the right policy, make it clear you support anybody who opts out, and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For what?
I can't read the words for you. His original comments weren't good no matter what he intended. He could do the ol I'm sorry you misunderstood if he wants, but the issue was his fault.

I read, I just don't agree with you that he needs to apologize to anyone. Do you know if any of his players are offended or is it just the people reading a misquoted article?
Is it misquoted? Or just misspoken and misunderstood. I genuinely don’t know, this is an honest question.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » October 2nd, 2020, 1:21 pm

stang wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 1:13 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
The news cycle is short but his relationship with his players isn't. Apologize, set the right policy, make it clear you support anybody who opts out, and move on.

For what?
I can't read the words for you. His original comments weren't good no matter what he intended. He could do the ol I'm sorry you misunderstood if he wants, but the issue was his fault.

I read, I just don't agree with you that he needs to apologize to anyone. Do you know if any of his players are offended or is it just the people reading a misquoted article?
Is it misquoted? Or just misspoken and misunderstood. I genuinely don’t know, this is an honest question.
That's actually a good question. It feels like it's probably a bit of both. Obviously there's incentive of exposure for the Trib to word and write the article the way it did (they're benefiting from the exposure it's providing now). But Gary could have probably worded it better.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 2nd, 2020, 1:23 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
stang wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

For what?

That's actually a good question. It feels like it's probably a bit of both. Obviously there's incentive of exposure for the Trib to word and write the article the way it did (they're benefiting from the exposure it's providing now). But Gary could have probably worded it better.
Imagine all of the hits the Trib is getting on that article based on the headline alone.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 2nd, 2020, 1:24 pm

Aglicious wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 9:09 am
So did I just miss this or what? GA is saying there is no player opt out at USU - it is not allowed. :headscratch:

Gary Andersen:
“At least in our program, we don’t have an opt out. And it’s not an option, If you opt out, you’re not with us.”
There's an SLTrib article on the front News page today with these quotes. Why would GA take this stance? Why is this not an option at USU? The NCAA froze eligibility so players could do this very thing if they chose. Now we take that right away from them? Also, the article states that the AD confirmed no USU players have opted out this season. So does this mean those that are not on the most recent roster have simply moved on with life and did not opt out?
No one who is no longer on the current roster "opted out". Several were walk-ons and others had already graduated and had opportunities that were too good to pass up.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 2nd, 2020, 1:25 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 1:23 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
stang wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

For what?

Imagine all of the hits the Trib is getting on that article based on the headline alone.

Ding dong ding.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 2nd, 2020, 1:27 pm

Remember when the trib tried to make an issue out of an nba coach paying $1000 to a republican candidate campaign (blm issue). Wait for it though...the candidate is a black man.

Trib is a quality newsroom.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
3rdGenAggie

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » October 2nd, 2020, 1:31 pm

So now it's been clarified by the individual that actually asked the question their pulling the quote from. As suspected.... they spliced a quote and used it out of context... Kind of like saying "there's good people on both sides" and not finishing the quote :) calm down people.. I kid, I kid

FastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by FastAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 2:01 pm

Good for Gary. Telling it like it is and how the teammates and coaches feel about anyone opting out. The risk to college age athletes literally approaches zero, so if you opt out then get out.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 2nd, 2020, 2:02 pm

It's good to be coach.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 2:02 pm

FastAggie wrote:Good for Gary. Telling it like it is and how the teammates and coaches feel about anyone opting out. The risk to college age athletes literally approaches zero, so if you opt out then get out.
You've managed to be on the wrong side of an issue hours after it was resolved. Impressive.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 2:11 pm

Can anybody who heard GA on 1280 explain the context that was missing from the Trib quote?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » October 2nd, 2020, 2:48 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 1:21 pm
stang wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

For what?

Probably correct. I wonder what would have happened if that was a quote from Whit instead of GA?

Full

Post by Full » October 2nd, 2020, 2:51 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 2:11 pm
Can anybody who heard GA on 1280 explain the context that was missing from the Trib quote?
These users thanked the author Full for the post:
3rdGenAggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 2:55 pm

Full wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
That is a lot of gibberish

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 2:58 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 2:55 pm
Full wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
That is a lot of gibberish

They call it Coach Speak in the biz.

I tend to agree with the Nielson guy. It's certainly not a great look, but if the question had been about COVID concerns directly, the answer likely would have been different.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

ususports

Post by ususports » October 2nd, 2020, 3:00 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
Suppose is his new word of choice.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 2nd, 2020, 3:22 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:
He apologized and said that basically we don’t have anybody on the team that has opted out and that’s why there’s no opt out policy or they haven’t had to use it. All players know they are loved and if any wanted to opt out for any reason they would have his full support.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post:
3rdGenAggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 2nd, 2020, 4:01 pm

Well the NCAA has a policy about opting out as does USU as far as the virus goes, so this was much ado about nothing. He had 2 kids that opted out of spring practice because of concerns about covid and both remained on scholarship.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
slcagg

aggietime

Post by aggietime » October 2nd, 2020, 4:27 pm

Does anyone read (or trust) the Trib? The newspaper which overtly and consistently uses misleading/inflammatory headlines for clicks? I'm not a "don't trust the media" kind of guy, but the Trib is pretty transparent when it comes to printing damn near anything for click revenue.

Chalk another one up for people getting hot and bothered for a throw away line taken out of context.
These users thanked the author aggietime for the post:
oleblu111

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 2nd, 2020, 7:10 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 2:02 pm
FastAggie wrote:Good for Gary. Telling it like it is and how the teammates and coaches feel about anyone opting out. The risk to college age athletes literally approaches zero, so if you opt out then get out.
You've managed to be on the wrong side of an issue hours after it was resolved. Impressive.

Yep,

Happy Gary clarified. Even if someone is a proponent of the "damn kids, back in my day we would play in 10 feet of snow after breaking both our arms and legs and we would like it!" nonsense; people should understand it would be a horrible policy for PR, recruiting and current player relationships. USU football would get more national news than it could ever dream of and not in a good way.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 2nd, 2020, 7:45 pm

It sounds like he “clarified” he meant the exact opposite of what he said? Weird.

Oh well.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 2nd, 2020, 8:33 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 7:45 pm
It sounds like he “clarified” he meant the exact opposite of what he said? Weird.

Oh well.
Yeah it was damage control.

FastAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by FastAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 9:02 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 2:02 pm

He meant what he said the 1st time and nothing wrong with that.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » October 2nd, 2020, 9:40 pm

Except it goes against the NCAA policy...

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

afausu

Post by afausu » October 3rd, 2020, 1:33 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
He apologized and said that basically we don’t have anybody on the team that has opted out and that’s why there’s no opt out policy or they haven’t had to use it. All players know they are loved and if any wanted to opt out for any reason they would have his full support.
It’s hilarious that when St. Gary says “if you opt out, you’re not with us” he REALLY means that “there’s no opt out policy because nobody has opted out” and you buy that. Come on. Take the Gary goggles off.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 3rd, 2020, 1:50 pm

Whether or not he believes that or not the fact of the matter is there's a policy and if a player wants to opt out they have an opt-out plan for that player he stated it on the radio it's for all the sports involved. So whether he feels that way or not it doesn't change the fact of the matter that anybody who wants to opt out can. Now in truth they currently don't have any player that has opted out for this year it looks like there's been some players that have moved on from football but in terms of anybody who's actually on their opt-out plan nobody is at the moment.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
JSHarvey

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 3rd, 2020, 1:57 pm

afausu wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 1:33 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:
It’s hilarious that when St. Gary says “if you opt out, you’re not with us” he REALLY means that “there’s no opt out policy because nobody has opted out” and you buy that. Come on. Take the Gary goggles off.
Well actions speak louder than words, perhaps you are not aware of the fact that 2 USU players opted out of spring practice, if memory serves it was Scarver, and Kotch, both were left on the team and retained scholarships, perhaps you are not aware that both USU and the NCAA have policy that allows kids to opt out because of covid, and keep their scholarships, so I'm not sure who has goggles or blinders on.

afausu

Post by afausu » October 3rd, 2020, 2:29 pm

Maybe so. But words do matter. It’s a bad look, especially considering the irony of his past actions.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 3rd, 2020, 2:53 pm

NAW. I’m tired of all the pab’s in the world. If you’re 20 and in the best shape of your life, don’t you fret about the COVID. Just go play the game. You not with us? Then you’re an enemy that must be eliminated. You don’t like that? You might as well be eliminated too. Not politically correct? You’re wrong, it is correct, I watched the debate the other night, I learned. Ain’t no room in this team for anyone who is scared of a virus that is smaller than a FLEA.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 3rd, 2020, 3:02 pm

afausu wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 2:29 pm
Maybe so. But words do matter. It’s a bad look, especially considering the irony of his past actions.
Words taken from a media source, that I knew were wrong as soon as reported do not mean much to me because I knew what the policy was, so if those reported knew what the policy was as far as the NCAA goes and what it was at USU I might have asked for a clarification, but what happened was part of a interview was sent out, in which G.A. has decided on his own to violate NCAA and USU policy as far as covid goes, which of course is not true. This would be a non story if you had professional journalism .which is in short supply in the country these days.

Talk is cheap but it takes money to buy whiskey
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
slcaggUSU78

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 5th, 2020, 9:03 am

Gary didn't opt out of OSU. He quit. He didn't expect money, in fact, he gave it back. Definitely a false equivalency between a player opting out vs. Gary quitting.

Also, this is much ado about nothing. A reporter took an exchange and twisted it for clicks. He got what he wanted. This is a microcosm of the current media-issues we face in our country. I'm glad no players were negatively impacted by these statements.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
3rdGenAggieSl7vkUSU78

Locked Previous topicNext topic