Player opt out at USU not allowed?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 2nd, 2020, 9:09 am

So did I just miss this or what? GA is saying there is no player opt out at USU - it is not allowed. :headscratch:

Gary Andersen:
“At least in our program, we don’t have an opt out. And it’s not an option, If you opt out, you’re not with us.”
There's an SLTrib article on the front News page today with these quotes. Why would GA take this stance? Why is this not an option at USU? The NCAA froze eligibility so players could do this very thing if they chose. Now we take that right away from them? Also, the article states that the AD confirmed no USU players have opted out this season. So does this mean those that are not on the most recent roster have simply moved on with life and did not opt out?

newhouse9

Re: Player opt out at USU not allowed?

Post by newhouse9 » October 2nd, 2020, 9:17 am

That is a strange stance...sounds like Sith language...If you opt out, you're not with us....Anakin: " If you're not with me, you're my enemy." Only a Sith would think in absolutes!

I don't get how that can be a policy though. Seems very odd to me.

Re-reading it, he says "If you opt out, you're not with us." Certainly, an opt out player wouldn't be "with us" for games, etc. Did I read too much into this initially? I want to think the best, but some clarification would be helpful, even though the Ath. Dept., when asked, said that Gary wasn't comfortable clarifying. Very odd.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 2nd, 2020, 9:27 am

NCAA gives the opt out and preserves the year. Gary can't take that away. However Gary can take the scholarship away - I don't think the NCAA can force a school to give a person a scholarship.
So maybe Gary is expecting his players to stay and play or opt out and play somewhere else? You know, because he's a players coach, and always puts the kids first?

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 9:44 am

"USU’s athletics department said Andersen did not feel comfortable responding to a request to clarify his comments."

excuse me?

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 2nd, 2020, 10:01 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:"USU’s athletics department said Andersen did not feel comfortable responding to a request to clarify his comments."

excuse me?
Yeah. He’s gotta run that by someone before he comments further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 2nd, 2020, 10:03 am

I’d suggest we wait to react until we know the story here.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 2nd, 2020, 10:16 am

I would like to know the full context of the comments before I place any judgement. Speaking for myself I know I just can't decide to say I am opting out of my job for the next 6 months because of fear of COVID-19. I realize they are not employees, but at the same time they are on scholarship which also have expectations.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » October 2nd, 2020, 10:29 am

brownjeans wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 9:27 am
NCAA gives the opt out and preserves the year. Gary can't take that away. However Gary can take the scholarship away - I don't think the NCAA can force a school to give a person a scholarship.
So maybe Gary is expecting his players to stay and play or opt out and play somewhere else? You know, because he's a players coach, and always puts the kids first?
From the NCAA: All student-athletes must be allowed to opt out of participation due to concerns about contracting COVID-19. If a college athlete chooses to opt out, that individual’s athletics scholarship commitment must be honored by the college or university.

Link: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... ligibility

Full

Post by Full » October 2nd, 2020, 10:31 am

They need to get in front of this before it becomes a national story. It’s already going to be used against him in recruiting. Taking away a scholarship for a player who opts out is something that shouldn’t be tolerated when the NCAA and every other institution has said there will, nor should there be anything punitive for opting out.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 2nd, 2020, 10:36 am

Seeing a lot of national guys commenting on it. It looks pretty bad as well because he opted out at Wisconsin after two years and then Oregon State mid-season. I think a normal coach would catch a lot of flack for this but Gary is especially vulnerable to it.

"unforced error" is about as spot on as I think the analysis can get.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 2nd, 2020, 10:37 am

Full wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 10:31 am
They need to get in front of this before it becomes a national story. It’s already going to be used against him in recruiting. Taking away a scholarship for a player who opts out is something that shouldn’t be tolerated when the NCAA and every other institution has said there will, nor should there be anything punitive for opting out.
Yeah I agree, I only brought this up because I didn't like the vibe of the article and how it painted USU in a negative light as compared to other MWC or in-state programs. I'll wait for further clarification (if it comes) before getting too upset but I do agree it should be addressed.

I think the best way to spin it at this point would be to say that you said in in an effort to keep all your players together and playing football because that is where you feel they are the safest and most cared for during the pandemic. With the constant testing and instant access to medical help, it really could be argued that it is far safer being a student-athlete than being a student only in the general population. By saying there is no opt out at USU, he was simply expressing his profound love of the kids and implying that, in his eyes, there is no other option than being a part of the football family.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 2nd, 2020, 10:46 am

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 2nd, 2020, 11:01 am

One more of note

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 2nd, 2020, 11:01 am

Full wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 10:31 am
Yeah they need to get out in front an clarify what is meant. The athletic department is not going to willfully allow Gary to take away a scholarship when they passed the policy that anyone could opt out and stay on scholarship. What could have been meant is by opting out your are not with us in terms of being with the team and participating in team functions, but are still on athletic scholarship.

Although, only Gary can explain what that was meant. At the same time even if something was taken out of context the national media has already made up its mind and are going to scrutinize this to no end. Definitely not a good look especially when we should all be excited that the season is back on.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 11:01 am

Here is what you do if you're Gary:

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. This is a flash in the pan storyline. No one will be talking about this in twenty four hours. Gary Patterson used the N-word at practice and we only talked about that for like six minutes. Do not apologize for something that was potentially taken out of context.

I think most of us know that Gary is a player-oriented coach, and that he is looking out for these guys. Matt Wells would never make a comment like this, but he's at best half as interested in his players as Gary is. This is Utah State. The national media all got on their phones at lunch time and decided to chime in on Twitter. They won't care by tonight.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 4):
3rdGenAggieTurtleoleblu111AgMac

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » October 2nd, 2020, 11:08 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 11:01 am

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. This is a flash in the pan storyline. No one will be talking about this in twenty four hours. Gary Patterson used the N-word at practice and we only talked about that for like six minutes. Do not apologize for something that was potentially taken out of context.

I think most of us know that Gary is a player-oriented coach, and that he is looking out for these guys. Matt Wells would never make a comment like this, but he's at best half as interested in his players as Gary is. This is Utah State. The national media all got on their phones at lunch time and decided to chime in on Twitter. They won't care by tonight.
I disagree. Media wise and fan wise, it may be out of sight and out of mind. But it can be a factor in recruiting. It don't think it is a major problem but I do think it can can be a weapon against Gary in the future.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 11:16 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 2nd, 2020, 11:20 am

ViAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 11:16 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Agreed. News cycle is short.

On that note are there any players upset about this? They all seem to happy to be here.

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » October 2nd, 2020, 11:21 am

It would be a bigger story if a player wanted to opt out and then Gary said something like this. From what anyone can tell, no player wants to opt out so it's really not a big deal.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 2nd, 2020, 11:26 am

Everyone's situations are different, but if I were a player or had a son playing it seems to me one of the safest places to be right now would to be on one of these teams. The teams are getting tested for COVID 3 times a week. There are tons of protocols to keep everything/everyone clean/safe. Sure nothing is bullet proof, but it seems as though this would be a good place to be. You also know that everyone of the teams you are playing are getting tested so I would imagine the likelihood of contracting it would be lower. I know everyone has different health concerns or situations, solely my opinion.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
3rdGenAggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » October 2nd, 2020, 11:27 am

In the summer weren't there a few players that said they were going to opt out? If so what changed their minds and were they forced by the coaching to staff to play once the season was re-instated?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 2nd, 2020, 11:31 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 11:27 am
In the summer weren't there a few players that said they were going to opt out? If so what changed their minds and were they forced by the coaching to staff to play once the season was re-instated?
Yup they are back and are making their own videos of them at practice having a good time (scarver).

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 11:35 am

thegreendalegelf wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 11:08 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:

I disagree. Media wise and fan wise, it may be out of sight and out of mind. But it can be a factor in recruiting. It don't think it is a major problem but I do think it can can be a weapon against Gary in the future.
Nick Saban is one of the least player-friendly coaches in the world and doesn't have a problem recruiting. Ed Orgeron is one of the most player-friendly coaches in the world and couldn't get anyone to go to Ole Miss. Players will overlook a whole lot worse than what Gary is purported to have said if they have a shot at big games, national exposure, NFL preparation, and winning.

It is what it is.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 11:38 am

I couldn't imaging opting out. They're being tested a TON and probably much less likely than the average college student to contract it. They're D1 football players all in great shape and therefore much less likely to have complications if they were to get it. AND they aren't losing a year of eligibility. It's a free year of playing college football! (And will likely mean a free year or more of grad school for basically everyone if they want it.)

I genuinely don't see a downside.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 12:01 pm

The news cycle is short but his relationship with his players isn't. Apologize, set the right policy, make it clear you support anybody who opts out, and move on.

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelfAggie formerly in Hawaii

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 2nd, 2020, 12:23 pm

sancho839 wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 10:29 am
brownjeans wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 9:27 am
From the NCAA: All student-athletes must be allowed to opt out of participation due to concerns about contracting COVID-19. If a college athlete chooses to opt out, that individual’s athletics scholarship commitment must be honored by the college or university.

Link: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... ligibility
Scholarships are year-to-year aren't they? If so, what does it mean to honor a scholarship?

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 12:33 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 11:27 am
The NCAA coming out and saying that this year is a free year and won't count against their eligibility.

coolag

Post by coolag » October 2nd, 2020, 12:36 pm

Gary .5 on a roll.

Regulator of Class

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 12:39 pm

agreed, where's the story? Is there any player trying to opt out now? If not, whoopteedo!
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
oleblu111

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » October 2nd, 2020, 12:48 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 12:01 pm
The news cycle is short but his relationship with his players isn't. Apologize, set the right policy, make it clear you support anybody who opts out, and move on.

For what?

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 2nd, 2020, 12:51 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

For what?
I can't read the words for you. His original comments weren't good no matter what he intended. He could do the ol I'm sorry you misunderstood if he wants, but the issue was his fault.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » October 2nd, 2020, 12:59 pm

We had two players opt out of spring ball before it got canceled and they are still on the team.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 2nd, 2020, 1:06 pm

He was on 1280 and apologized and clarified.
These users thanked the author Elkaggie for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelfBLUERUFiO

slcagg

Post by slcagg » October 2nd, 2020, 1:10 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 12:51 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

For what?
I can't read the words for you. His original comments weren't good no matter what he intended. He could do the ol I'm sorry you misunderstood if he wants, but the issue was his fault.

Apologize to who? The media? You? I agree to a player If it comes out that he treated one unfairly. But where has it been said he did that?

It sounds like he has had conversations well before this with his players and they were in accordance with the NCAA expectations.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » October 2nd, 2020, 1:11 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 12:51 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

For what?

I read, I just don't agree with you that he needs to apologize to anyone. Do you know if any of his players are offended or is it just the people reading a misquoted article?

Locked Previous topicNext topic