Dallin Grant - New Commit

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
tinplater

Re: Dallin Grant - New Commit

Post by tinplater » September 24th, 2020, 6:13 pm

UStateTim wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 5:59 pm
What was the phrase Jackie Robinson's manager used? "I don't care if you're white, black, orange, or purple. If he can help us win, he's playing." I probably botched that, but If we start losing, then I'll be more concerned about who we recruit.
My favorite "color" story occurred in the old fieldhouse when Hal Theus played for USU...one of the very first black players in Logan I believe. During warm ups an elderly gentleman with his young grandson (perhaps 8 years old or so) asked the youngster.."now which one is Theus?" Without waiting a fraction of a second the kid replied "Number 34".
These users thanked the author tinplater for the post (total 5):
aggies223rdGenAggiecdaAgBLUERUFiOusufan1

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 24th, 2020, 6:35 pm

UStateTim wrote:
What was the phrase Jackie Robinson's manager used? "I don't care if you're white, black, orange, or purple. If he can help us win, he's playing." I probably botched that, but If we start losing, then I'll be more concerned about who we recruit.
Agreed and I would also include where we recruit to the mix. If we are winning nobody should care if we are recruiting the state hard, going out of state, going to Europe, to Australia, etc. . . Until the program turns south, Smith has earned the benefit of the doubt.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
aggies22BLUERUFiO

AggieHead

Post by AggieHead » September 24th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Basketball at the pro and college level is now all about 3 point shooting. To be a good team you need consistent 3 point shooters on the floor and at least one offensive player that requires the defense to help, getting the defense out of position to open up the three. This shift has diminished the role of pure athleticism in the game. Unless we are talking one of the few that can drive and score, dish, and shoot from the outside. On the defensive side things have shifted to length and the ability so switch 1-5 yet still be able to pull in defensive boards. As long as USU has someone that can draw defensive help, you can still be quite good with 4 other guys out there that can shoot the three even if they aren’t off the charts athletic.
These users thanked the author AggieHead for the post (total 2):
OrangeCountyAggieaggies22

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » September 24th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Recruit the kids with the most potential (athleticism, coachability, skilled, hard-working, determined, tough, will to win, etc.) who have a genuine interest in USU. Excellence and hard work matters, not preferential recruiting based on race.

WIth hindsight as my friend, I'll take Sam Merrill over James Walker III, Koby McEwen, or Marcel Davis. I'll take Neemias Queta over Jordan Stone, Morgan Grim, David Collette.
Last edited by Pacobag on September 25th, 2020, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post (total 2):
aggies22Turtle

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » September 24th, 2020, 10:11 pm

He is probably my relative also, as Greg Grant, Nathan Grant, and Josh Grant were my second cousins. Hell, a Grant and only 45 miles away from me. I didn’t know, I didn’t know!
These users thanked the author troutputz for the post:
AggieArmy

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 24th, 2020, 10:31 pm

I think Smith is finding creative ways to make sure our team has the highest talent level possible. I am personally loving the international flavor to our recruiting.

We are NEVER going to land the 4 and 5 star stateside guys with any level of consistency, and ordinarily wont even land the top end Utah kids (with Dallin Grant here being a notable exception). But I think we can be the team that goes to Russia, Ukraine, Portugal, Canada, Australia, Poland, etc. and finds the 4 to 5 star equivalents.

Yes, they are mostly white dudes. But if those white dudes are the most talented guys to fill the scholarship, I am all for it.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
BustaMcNuttaggies22BLUERUFiO

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 24th, 2020, 10:41 pm

Pacobag wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 10:05 pm
WIth hindsight as my friend, I'll take Sam Merrill over James Walker III, Koby McEwen, or Marcel Davis. I'll take Neemias Queta over Jordan Stone, Morgan Grim, David Collette.
Maybe Sam for his basketball skill, but The Duke III for great hashtags, Candy Crush (or any video game, really...), and for overall hypeness. Popcornszn, baby!
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 3):
aggieguy13flying_scotsman2.0Pacobag

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 24th, 2020, 10:58 pm

The good news, no matter how much we try, our roster will never be as white as BYU. Nor will our student population ever be as racist and ignorant for that matter.

Here is an anecdote if you're interested: https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... -students/
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
Real Life Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 25th, 2020, 5:22 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 10:58 pm
The good news, no matter how much we try, our roster will never be as white as BYU. Nor will our student population ever be as racist and ignorant for that matter.

Here is an anecdote if you're interested: https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2 ... -students/
Oh brother this is a reach. Why do we have to bring some college students ignorance into the same thread as a great commitment for the basketball program. Same with the racial makeup of the team.

Let’s leave these type of comments for the sandbox.

I’ll say it again. Welcome young man!
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
NVAggie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 25th, 2020, 7:51 am

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

I'm walking along. There's hardly any smoke for a change. The dog's staying at heel instead of chasing imaginary rabbits. There's a fall football crispness in the air and a few leaves on the ground. I'm enjoying the talk of remediation of the football season. I'm smiling. And I step in this turd you left on the sidewalk.

Thanks for that.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 25th, 2020, 9:21 am

USU78 wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 7:51 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

I'm walking along. There's hardly any smoke for a change. The dog's staying at heel instead of chasing imaginary rabbits. There's a fall football crispness in the air and a few leaves on the ground. I'm enjoying the talk of remediation of the football season. I'm smiling. And I step in this turd you left on the sidewalk.

Thanks for that.
Yeah, how dare he broach the topic of public, unacceptable racism. Shameful. And to do it at the expense of BYU-Provo? We, the venerable members of this fan board, could never condone such actions against our most honorable of in-state colleagues (who totally aren't super douchey almost all the time). https://universe.byu.edu/2020/06/03/lisis-384-final/

But I digress. So, quick question: we've indicated in this thread that Dallin Grant is related to Greg Grant, but also that Dallin's family have historically been BYU-Provo fans. Did Greg also come from a BYU-centered family?

And more importantly, bringing it back to Dallin, his 3pt %s look promising. Did he have significant volume from the 3?
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 25th, 2020, 10:11 am

Here are some freshman year highlights from a few years ago. Can't find any newer content.

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieUSU78cdaAg

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 25th, 2020, 10:44 am

treesap32 wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 10:11 am
Here are some freshman year highlights from a few years ago. Can't find any newer content.

I've got newer content at the top of the thread.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USU78

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 25th, 2020, 11:17 am

aggies22 wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 10:44 am
treesap32 wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 10:11 am

I've got newer content at the top of the thread.
That appeared to be a highlight video of an AAU team from 2018 and I didn't see him in any of the clips.

Update: Just found the HUDL Profile link with other video clips. For those interested:

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10424813/Dallin-Grant
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 5):
aggies22slcaggUSU78Real Life AggiecdaAg

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » September 25th, 2020, 11:42 am

These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
USU78cdaAg

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » September 25th, 2020, 12:43 pm

USU78 wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 7:51 am
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Thanks for that.
You're welcome! :joking:
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
USU78

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » September 25th, 2020, 1:18 pm

troutputz wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 10:11 pm
He is probably my relative also, as Greg Grant, Nathan Grant, and Josh Grant were my second cousins. Hell, a Grant and only 45 miles away from me. I didn’t know, I didn’t know!
Dang you, Putz! I thought/hoped you were involved in the positive influence that swayed this young man to come to Utah State. I'm really excited about yet another great recruit signed by Coach Smith et al. I'm so bleeping excited for the future of Aggie basketball, and can't wait to see our current guys on the floor. November can't come soon enough!

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » September 25th, 2020, 2:54 pm

OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Reading the story, I truly believe the BYU students were just asking those questions out of sheer ignorance. They didn't mean to be offensive. They're just dumb(I won't express myself using vulgar language)es. It certainly fits the mold of a typical BYU person.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 25th, 2020, 11:02 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 2:54 pm
OrangeCountyAggie wrote:

Reading the story, I truly believe the BYU students were just asking those questions out of sheer ignorance. They didn't mean to be offensive. They're just dumb(I won't express myself using vulgar language)es. It certainly fits the mold of a typical BYU person.
I thought it sounded like one or two racist trolls in there. Nevertheless, we agree on the mold of a typical BYU individual.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » September 26th, 2020, 11:47 am

I must admit to some ignorance here as I am not LDS or all that familiar with the ins and outs of how schools deal with missions..

This young man said he plans to sign an LOI this November but won't join the team until 2023. Would he be counted towards the 13 man limit for each season he is away? Does this effect his 5 year clock to be eligible? Can other schools talk to this kid while he is out?

Inquiring minds want to know..

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 26th, 2020, 12:55 pm

nvspuds wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 11:47 am
I must admit to some ignorance here as I am not LDS or all that familiar with the ins and outs of how schools deal with missions..

This young man said he plans to sign an LOI this November but won't join the team until 2023. Would he be counted towards the 13 man limit for each season he is away? Does this effect his 5 year clock to be eligible? Can other schools talk to this kid while he is out?

Inquiring minds want to know..
They don’t count while they are away.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » September 26th, 2020, 12:56 pm

So, if it doesn't count is the LOI binding or more symbolic..?

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 27th, 2020, 7:41 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 6:35 pm
UStateTim wrote:
Agreed and I would also include where we recruit to the mix. If we are winning nobody should care if we are recruiting the state hard, going out of state, going to Europe, to Australia, etc. . . Until the program turns south, Smith has earned the benefit of the doubt.
I agree with this, but I don't want us to get a reputation and miss out on a kid for lack of racial diversity.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » September 27th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 7:41 am
UStateTim wrote:
I agree with this, but I don't want us to get a reputation and miss out on a kid for lack of racial diversity.
Well we do not have much racial diversity as a university or in the Cache Valley so we have that to begin with. I do not believe that race should enter into the picture when recruiting. If memory serves Smith has recruited 5 black players since he arrived. We also have struck out on several others.

The make up of the University and Cache Valley hurts more than rather we have 3 black players or 6 on the team.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » September 27th, 2020, 2:35 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 12:13 pm
Mr. Sneelock wrote:
UStateTim wrote:
Well we do not have much racial diversity as a university or in the Cache Valley so we have that to begin with. I do not believe that race should enter into the picture when recruiting. If memory serves Smith has recruited 5 black players since he arrived. We also have struck out on several others.

The make up of the University and Cache Valley hurts more than rather we have 3 black players or 6 on the team.
I agree. I don't think it is a problem yet. I just don't want it to become one.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
oleblu111

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 27th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
UStateTim wrote:
You don't have anything to worry about with this coaching staff. They will recruit the best players they can find who fit in with what they want to do. No disrespect intended my Aggie brother, but I don't really get where you are coming from to believe this coaching staff would get us a bad reputation as far as diversity.

usufan1

Post by usufan1 » September 27th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Didn't people say the same thing about some of the teams with Stew?

Isn't it supposed to be a time when people aren't worried about color or race. We have 13 Aggies, and that's what matters.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » September 27th, 2020, 9:02 pm

usufan1 wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Isn't it supposed to be a time when people aren't worried about color or race. We have 13 Aggies, and that's what matters.

You absolutely correct. The last thing we should worry about is the race of our players. Get the best player who is going to help the team, be a good student and a good person off the court. Coach Smith seems to really make sure a person is a good fit for the team/community.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
Aggie formerly in Hawaiislcaggaggies22

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 27th, 2020, 9:27 pm

usufan1 wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 8:42 pm

It would matter if our coaching staff was intentionally not going after certain guys based on their race, religion, region, etc. . . That isn't happening here. Smith will get whoever he believes can help us win games.

As for Stew, the program fell off in his last few years and some fans were looking at something to blame. When things were going well, nobody cared where the players came from and they shouldn't have. Look at our 2000-2001 roster that won us our only ncaa tournament game of my life. (And I'm not as young as I wish I was) Shawn Daniels, Tony Brown, Bernard Rock, Curtis Bobb, Dimitri Jorssen, Dion Bailey, Brennan Ray. These are guys from literally all over from New York City to Belgium to Hyrum, Utah. Stew wasn't afraid to go wherever needed to get players that would win games here and neither is Smith. Hopefully this will be the last time this type of thing is discussed.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
slcaggaggies22

NewAggieDad
Has thanked: 0

Post by NewAggieDad » September 27th, 2020, 9:54 pm

Aggie97 wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 5:47 pm
Welcome NewAggieDad.

Excited to have Dallin as part of the program!
Thanks Aggie97
These users thanked the author NewAggieDad for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 28th, 2020, 10:23 am

NewAggieDad wrote:
September 27th, 2020, 9:54 pm
Aggie97 wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 5:47 pm
Welcome NewAggieDad.

Excited to have Dallin as part of the program!
Thanks Aggie97
I appreciated Dallin giving me his time for the interview. Welcome to the board!

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » September 28th, 2020, 11:59 am

September 27th, 2020, 9:27 pm
Hopefully this will be the last time this type of thing is discussed.
Shame-based thinking: certain topics are inappropriate or just shouldn't be discussed, even if done in an appropriate and healthy manner.

No need to belittle those who think differently than you, Aggie formerly in Hawaii. Am I disappointed in our team and its composition/diversity? No, I am not. Personally, I love the wide variety of countries represented on the team (even if the concern is that they're all "white"). They seem like competitors and great talents to add into the roster. Doesn't mean it's wrong to discuss.

I'm really excited by Dallin as a new commit, and I think it's great he's serving a mission first. On top of sharing personal beliefs about why serving a mission is good, it's an excellent growth opportunity and he'll come back more focused and mature. We've benefited from those sorts of players in basically every season.

I also really trust this coaching staff with whoever they bring in, whether they're out of Montana, local guys, Portugal, or Russia. While I do think having a more diverse team enriches the team and I would encourage that, the coaching staff has been very clear in why they recruit guys: they're making the best team that they can. Aside from local guys, it isn't necessarily easy to recruit the type of talent we want from other parts of the country. We aren't the most well-known mid-major, even if some of these higher-rated HS recruits are even considering mid-majors. For this reason, they've started pulling guys from other countries, and I'm very excited about how they turn out. However, local guys have been some of the best players we've ever had: Spencer Nelson, Nate Harris, Jaycee Carroll, Tai Wesley, Sam Merrill, Greg Grant! Then to see someone like Dallin who seems built for the system... a long guard with great shooting who seems built for positionless basketball. That's just a win-win-win right there.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 28th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 11:59 am
September 27th, 2020, 9:27 pm
Hopefully this will be the last time this type of thing is discussed.
Shame-based thinking: certain topics are inappropriate or just shouldn't be discussed, even if done in an appropriate and healthy manner.

No need to belittle those who think differently than you, Aggie formerly in Hawaii. Am I disappointed in our team and its composition/diversity? No, I am not. Personally, I love the wide variety of countries represented on the team (even if the concern is that they're all "white"). They seem like competitors and great talents to add into the roster. Doesn't mean it's wrong to discuss.

I'm really excited by Dallin as a new commit, and I think it's great he's serving a mission first. On top of sharing personal beliefs about why serving a mission is good, it's an excellent growth opportunity and he'll come back more focused and mature. We've benefited from those sorts of players in basically every season.

I also really trust this coaching staff with whoever they bring in, whether they're out of Montana, local guys, Portugal, or Russia. While I do think having a more diverse team enriches the team and I would encourage that, the coaching staff has been very clear in why they recruit guys: they're making the best team that they can. Aside from local guys, it isn't necessarily easy to recruit the type of talent we want from other parts of the country. We aren't the most well-known mid-major, even if some of these higher-rated HS recruits are even considering mid-majors. For this reason, they've started pulling guys from other countries, and I'm very excited about how they turn out. However, local guys have been some of the best players we've ever had: Spencer Nelson, Nate Harris, Jaycee Carroll, Tai Wesley, Sam Merrill, Greg Grant! Then to see someone like Dallin who seems built for the system... a long guard with great shooting who seems built for positionless basketball. That's just a win-win-win right there.
I didn't mean to shame or belittle anybody. My point was I do not believe Stew Morrill or now Craig Smith recruit based on anything other than who they believe will help the team win. Was there issues in the last few seasons with Stew? Sure, the program fell off. Do I think it was due to lack of diversity? No, I don't. In Stew's last season; his last full recruiting year being in 2014 he brought in guys from Florida, Texas, Rhode Island, Arizona and of course Bountiful, Utah (Sam Merrill). Merrill was the only white player in the 2014 class. Again, many fair criticisms labeled against Stew for how he left the program (one being that he pushed for Tim Duryea to succeed him) but saying he lacked diversity in who he recruited was an unfair criticism.

I feel the same way about Craig Smith. He is going to get the player who best can give us the chance to win and has done a great job since he has taken over in 2018. Nothing he has done suggests he has any agenda other than winning games at USU.

People can certainly discuss the issue as much as they want. If you read what I said as trying to shut down, my mistake. I am the last person on here that would want to do that. I should have just made it clear that I disagreed with their take unless I see more evidence that supports it.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » September 28th, 2020, 9:25 pm

This whole thread reminds me of a story Rick Majerus recounted. He said he was being criticized for this exact same thing. He said people were telling him he didn't have enough "brothers" on his team. He responded by saying "that's not true. I have Brother Jensen and Brother Johnson, and Brother Rydalch. I have plenty of brothers. "

Eutaw St. Aggie

Jjoey52

Re: New Commit!!

Post by Jjoey52 » October 1st, 2020, 10:18 pm

Yossarian wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 8:17 pm
GUS wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 8:16 pm
Is he related to Greg or Scooter?
Or Josh?
Harvey ot Jeremi?

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle