We're not playing basketball until January at minimum.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

We're not playing basketball until January at minimum.

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 11th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Just thought I'd share the PSA. No way in college basketball happens during 1st semester. I'm skeptical, but hopeful, it at least starts up in January.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: We're not playing basketball until January at minimum.

Post by ProvoAggie » August 11th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Pac-12 just canceled all sports until January 1.
https://pac-12.com/article/2020/08/11/p ... endar-year

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 11th, 2020, 2:44 pm

If it happens at all it will be conference only starting in January. Which is interesting because that's the peak of viral season.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » August 11th, 2020, 3:01 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 2:44 pm
If it happens at all it will be conference only starting in January. Which is interesting because that's the peak of viral season.
Peak of flu season, right. Unfortunately, we didn't see much of a seasonal lull in coronavirus. Hopefully, that means we won't have a big uptick during the winter.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 11th, 2020, 6:46 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 2:30 pm
Just thought I'd share the PSA. No way in college basketball happens during 1st semester. I'm skeptical, but hopeful, it at least starts up in January.
I’m just hopeful there’s a 2021 NCAA Tournament

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 11th, 2020, 7:37 pm

Certainly unfortunate considering we lost WSU in football and The Y/st marys in basketball,

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 11th, 2020, 8:57 pm

They got to be able to figure out basketball with this much time to prepare. Set up a few conference bubbles and then set one up for March Madness. Yeah it sucks, but it would be better than just shutting things down.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 11th, 2020, 9:32 pm

The problem with a conference only season would be determining which teams qualify for March Madness when teams aren't able to prove how they stack up or don't stack up with foes from other conferences. They would have to, just as a one time thing, determine officially how many teams get in from each league.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » August 11th, 2020, 9:47 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:32 pm
The problem with a conference only season would be determining which teams qualify for March Madness when teams aren't able to prove how they stack up or don't stack up with foes from other conferences. They would have to, just as a one time thing, determine officially how many teams get in from each league.
Atleast it will be a lot harder to put a P5 team with a losing conference record into the field. Not saying they wouldn’t.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » August 11th, 2020, 10:23 pm

nswaggie wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:47 pm
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 9:32 pm
Atleast it will be a lot harder to put a P5 team with a losing conference record into the field. Not saying they wouldn’t.
I think we'd see more of that, lol...

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 11th, 2020, 11:53 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 8:57 pm
They got to be able to figure out basketball with this much time to prepare. Set up a few conference bubbles and then set one up for March Madness. Yeah it sucks, but it would be better than just shutting things down.
That’s what I assumed about football but they somehow failed miserably. I have low expectations for them figuring out an indoor sport with close and sustained contact.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 12th, 2020, 6:59 am

Intermeddler wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 11:53 pm
That’s what I assumed about football but they somehow failed miserably. I have low expectations for them figuring out an indoor sport with close and sustained contact.
If they are committed to it happening they can make it happen even if it is a very shortened season. Have a 3 week conference season in a conference bubble where each team plays 14 games in the bubble. It can be done if they want to do it.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 12th, 2020, 7:33 am

August 12th, 2020, 6:59 am
Intermeddler wrote:
If they are committed to it happening they can make it happen even if it is a very shortened season. Have a 3 week conference season in a conference bubble where each team plays 14 games in the bubble. It can be done if they want to do it.
At what conference level do you foresee this happening. Could anything other than the top conferences make it work financially? For example could the south land conference (I think that is a conference) break even with tv money etc.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 13th, 2020, 11:23 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Insightful comment Hipster....In a private conversation with a highly credentialed PhD researcher he noted the flu historically recedes into history in May and June.. This Wuhan flue breaks those trends and this flu hasn't followed the expected patterns

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 13th, 2020, 11:39 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
You didn't specify which year.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » August 13th, 2020, 11:45 am

Yossarian wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 11:39 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:
You didn't specify which year.
Oof.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 13th, 2020, 12:10 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 11:23 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Insightful comment Hipster....In a private conversation with a highly credentialed PhD researcher he noted the flu historically recedes into history in May and June.. This Wuhan flue breaks those trends and this flu hasn't followed the expected patterns
Perhaps that is because it is not a strain of influenza. There are some that think there will be a seasonal rise and fall to this once it becomes endemic.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 13th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 12:10 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 11:23 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Perhaps that is because it is not a strain of influenza. There are some that think there will be a seasonal rise and fall to this once it becomes endemic.
For those that don't venture into the sandbox, I had raised the question "How will this end?" regarding the COVID-19 crisis. I found this the other day and posted in that forum:

This is as close to an answer to my question that I have found so far:

Highlights from the article:

*There is a very good chance that the virus does not go away. Except for smallpox, we have a poor record of eradicating viruses. Even if we eliminate them from the human population, they persist in animals and run the risk of being transmitted back to humans at any time.

*We don't know how this virus will work for those that have already been infected. Will it be like a common cold virus where a person can be infected several times a year? Or will it be like other SARS viruses where once you have been infected you are basically immune from a re-infection? Some suspect that common cold viruses went through a coronavirus stage in humans where they were much more deadly but humans eventually built up enough immunity that they come and go without much fuss.

*They predict we won't be wearing masks or staying 6 feet apart in 2 or 3 years. Eventually we will gain herd immunity. This herd immunity will come through vaccines or interaction with populations that have already had the virus.

Still, the path forward remains unclear:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... th-forward

The good and bad news:

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... e-improves

The bad:

Cases of COVID-19 continue to climb.
We are "miles" from having an effective vaccine or medicine (this surprises me - we have been told we were close)
The threat of overwhelming the healthcare system remains high

The good:

While case numbers continue to climb, people are dying of the disease at a much lower rate (3.6% from March through May, 1.2% from June through Aug. 3) - my commentary (are we transitioning from a pandemic to more of a "common cold" scenario with this virus?)
Treatment has become much better for those that become infected
While the US is one of the worst (second only to Brazil, I think) at containing the spread, we are one of the best (if not the best) at treating it.

I think Andy Dufresne said it best:

Eutaw St. Aggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 13th, 2020, 1:09 pm

I wouldn't read much into that "miles quote". It is from a single ER doc at USC not an expert in immunology or vaccines and sounds like something offhand and relative to his particular day in and day out experience particularly since the thrust of that portion of the article is how much better doctors have gotten it this it makes his role and performance look more heroic.

The 1889 pandemic that was referred to as the "Russian Flu" is now thought to have been the emergence of OC43, a common cold coronavirus. It is likely that Covid will eventually simply be a recurrent infection that causes the common cold every so often with or without a vaccine.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » August 13th, 2020, 2:26 pm

The good news is with the size of the rosters and staff, basketball SHOULD be much easier to contain and control than football. With football there are just so many guys to test, to trace, to manage, to trust not to go out the night before being in the same locker room with 85 other guys, etc.

With basketball I think it's much easier to at least control some variables necessary to be able to play this season
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » August 13th, 2020, 8:20 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 2:26 pm
The good news is with the size of the rosters and staff, basketball SHOULD be much easier to contain and control than football. With football there are just so many guys to test, to trace, to manage, to trust not to go out the night before being in the same locker room with 85 other guys, etc.

With basketball I think it's much easier to at least control some variables necessary to be able to play this season
True, but basketball is generally played indoors (think recirculated ventilation) and the players aren't wearing gloves, pads, helmets, etc. In basketball, if you put a body on someone to block them out, you may end up getting drenched in sweat. I never liked guarding a heavy dude in the post when I was on the shirts team and he was on the skins..... yuck. :lol:

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » August 14th, 2020, 8:41 am

Pacobag wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 8:20 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

True, but basketball is generally played indoors (think recirculated ventilation) and the players aren't wearing gloves, pads, helmets, etc. In basketball, if you put a body on someone to block them out, you may end up getting drenched in sweat. I never liked guarding a heavy dude in the post when I was on the shirts team and he was on the skins..... yuck. :lol:
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post (total 3):
NVAggiePacobagutaggies

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 14th, 2020, 11:38 am

Pacobag wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 8:20 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

The NBA after nearly a month in the bubble (they were training playing preseason games before July 30) had zero positive cases. It can work if basketball conferences are committed to it. Again, you won't have anything resembling a full season, but even a 3 week conference season with teams playing say every other day would be a helluva lot better than just shutting it all down.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 14th, 2020, 11:40 am

slcagg wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 7:33 am
August 12th, 2020, 6:59 am
Intermeddler wrote:
At what conference level do you foresee this happening. Could anything other than the top conferences make it work financially? For example could the south land conference (I think that is a conference) break even with tv money etc.
Very true. The Southland and Big South probably would not be able to do it. (Sorry Winthrop) Or maybe they could make it work too. They wouldn't have the television money bigger conferences would have, that is certainly true.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » August 14th, 2020, 2:20 pm

I'll be surprised if we have any meaningful sports before fall 2021.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 14th, 2020, 3:40 pm

Unlike Football (for several obvious reason) we can likely pull off Basketball in the age of Covid-19). Lets hope!
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
IdaAg93

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 14th, 2020, 10:20 pm

ViAggie wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 3:40 pm
Unlike Football (for several obvious reason) we can likely pull off Basketball in the age of Covid-19). Lets hope!
You sure have done a 180 on things over the past week haha. Glad to see the new positive ViAggie come out of the basement.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 15th, 2020, 10:59 am

ViAggie wrote:Unlike Football (for several obvious reason) we can likely pull off Basketball in the age of Covid-19). Lets hope!
Gotta have my basketball even if it means killing grandma ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ususports

Post by ususports » August 15th, 2020, 11:03 am

2004AG wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 10:59 am
ViAggie wrote:Unlike Football (for several obvious reason) we can likely pull off Basketball in the age of Covid-19). Lets hope!
She already became dead to me when she stopped giving me birthday money 25 years ago. :joking:
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 15th, 2020, 11:42 am

ususports wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 11:03 am
2004AG wrote:
She already became dead to me when she stopped giving me birthday money 25 years ago. :joking:
My grandma has alzheimer's which is really hard because she forgets to send me 50 dollars on my birthday.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » August 15th, 2020, 9:17 pm

ViAggie wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 3:40 pm
I agree. I never thought there would be a football season, but I am still optimistic that there will be a condensed basketball season with some sort of bubble format (or bubble format(s)).

The NBA has already proven the concept, and online school and wrapping around Thanksgiving is conducive to something in a bubble format.

The stupid and difficult thing is that some conferences have already said no sports through the end of the year even though there is prime time for college basketball to bubble up after class wraps around thanksgiving.

So it’ll probably be January at the earliest if it happens.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » August 16th, 2020, 8:42 pm

2004AG wrote:

How absurd is that statement. Grandma cannot be driving the bus anymore!! She goes too damn slow and she will not get us to our destination. Let's safely put her in the back of the bus and you can make sure she's protected. I'll drive. :)

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 16th, 2020, 10:21 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

How absurd is that statement. Grandma cannot be driving the bus anymore!! She goes too damn slow and she will not get us to our destination. Let's safely put her in the back of the bus and you can make sure she's protected. I'll drive. :)
I was being sarcastic.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » August 17th, 2020, 6:59 am

2004AG wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 10:21 pm
IdaAg93 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I was being sarcastic.
Relief!! You gotta give some indication of your sarcasm for us literal folk. :lol:

Locked Previous topicNext topic