What does the college FB landscape look like going forward?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

What does the college FB landscape look like going forward?

Post by ViAggie » August 12th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Will the G5 Split from the NCAA?
Will the PAC implode?
Will the MAC or the WAC still exist?
Nebraska and Ohio State bail on the Big 10?
Will the NCAA finally kill the season?

Nothing else to talk about. :noidea:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
aggies22

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: What does the college FB landscape look like going forward?

Post by aggies22 » August 12th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Good post and thoughts my Aggie brother! This is finally something you and I can banter about without the potential of it becoming politically charged. Haha!

I think if we are speaking in terms of football, I think both the P5 and G5 have all but split from the NCAA. I really don't know how they are still issuing rulings on things such as violations (sort of) and immediate eligibility (again sort of).

I can't see the PAC-12 imploding. Where would everybody play their games and against who?

If the financial situation is as dire as some are claiming it to be perhaps the MAC doesn't survive and is forced to become an FCS conference. Honestly, that might be more fun anyway. The WAC hasn't even made it off the ground for round two yet.

Perhaps Nebraska returns to the BIG-12? They've only been gone a decade or so anyway. Ohio State has way too much tradition in the BIG-10. I can't see them leaving.

Which season are we talking about the NCAA killing? If it's 2020, let's be real, the SEC runs this house. If the SEC is still playing it still gives the few remaining conferences that have yet to bow out hope. For those conferences with the balls to keep their hats in the ring, the SEC will determine if they continue playing or not.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 12th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Honestly I wouldn't mind the G5 and P5 splitting up and there being a G5 champion. I would still like to play the big boys each year, but let's face it even if we go undefeated we won't be invited to the playoff. At least in basketball you can see mid majors like Gonzaga and Butler compete for the national title. You don't get that in football. Central Florida went undefeated two years in a row and didn't get a title shot. I'd rather the G5 set up a playoff and we could realistically aim at winning that title.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 3):
aggies22AZ4AggieNationAggieBlues

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 12th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 2:59 pm
Honestly I wouldn't mind the G5 and P5 splitting up and there being a G5 champion. I would still like to play the big boys each year, but let's face it even if we go undefeated we won't be invited to the playoff. At least in basketball you can see mid majors like Gonzaga and Butler compete for the national title. You don't get that in football. Central Florida went undefeated two years in a row and didn't get a title shot. I'd rather the G5 set up a playoff and we could realistically aim at winning that title.
I like it my Aggie brother.

Having a G5 champ isn't a horrible idea. Continue to allow competition between P5 and G5 schools because let's face it, too many schools depend on that paycheck from playing a P5 school every year. Allow the bowl spots to be filled accordingly but hold out the top 4 G5 schools for a playoff of our own. OR use the top two G5 type bowls for the playoff (like the P5 has done with their rotation) and then create a G5 "National Championship Game".
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
Aggie formerly in HawaiiAZ4AggieNation

Full

Post by Full » August 12th, 2020, 4:29 pm

The only time I would have a problem with this is bowl season. I love the G5 vs P5 matchups. The Vegas Bowl matchups and other around the country were usually good matchups.

dogie

Post by dogie » August 12th, 2020, 6:28 pm

ViAggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Will the ... WAC still exist?
In relation to college football, no.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 12th, 2020, 6:48 pm

Full wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 4:29 pm
The only time I would have a problem with this is bowl season. I love the G5 vs P5 matchups. The Vegas Bowl matchups and other around the country were usually good matchups.
In my fantasy scenario those still exist. There is just a playoff for the top G5 teams like there is for P5 teams.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » August 12th, 2020, 6:59 pm

ViAggie wrote:
Will the PAC implode?

Since Ohio State voted in favor of cancelling fall FB, not much chance they will bail.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » August 12th, 2020, 11:25 pm

ViAggie wrote:
No
Will the PAC implode?
No
Yes
Only if they want to lose $54 million a year
They seem pretty toothless

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » August 13th, 2020, 5:17 am

I would honestly just like to see FBS scrap the playoffs altogether, or go to an all-inclusive playoff LIKE EVERY OTHER FREAKING SPORT AND/OR LEAGUE IN THE ENTIRE SPORTING UNIVERSE(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). The NFL can find a way to give every team an equal chance at winning its championship. FCS can figure it out. Division 2 can figure it out. Even the small leagues here in Denmark can figure out a way to make it work. Why the %#@& can't the supposedly "smart" leaders at the FBS level figure out a way to make it happen?

Sorry, rant over.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 13th, 2020, 7:42 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 5:17 am
I would honestly just like to see FBS scrap the playoffs altogether, or go to an all-inclusive playoff LIKE EVERY OTHER FREAKING SPORT AND/OR LEAGUE IN THE ENTIRE SPORTING UNIVERSE(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). The NFL can find a way to give every team an equal chance at winning its championship. FCS can figure it out. Division 2 can figure it out. Even the small leagues here in Denmark can figure out a way to make it work. Why the %#@& can't the supposedly "smart" leaders at the FBS level figure out a way to make it happen?

Sorry, rant over.
I agree completely, but if that isn't going to happen I'd like to see a G5 championship.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » August 13th, 2020, 8:07 am

The entire thing has gotten ridiculous and it was time for a reset anyway.
I'm not talking about USU right now, but they've been caught up in the landscape like everyone else.

-How is it that the highest paid public employee in every state is the football coach of that state school? How does that make any sense? Don't get me wrong, it's a hard job, it's a ton of pressure, but is it 5 million dollars a year, when a tenure track professor is making 70k? We are talking about ridiculous multipliers between the the coach and the lowest paid employee.

-Facilities have gotten out of control. Locker rooms, practice facilities, stadiums. It used to be you needed weights, now you need to spend millions on weight rooms to show your recruits how important football is to your school.

-The gap between the haves and have not's has continued to grow and G5 schools are not in a good spot. P5 dictates, and a school like ours just has to pick up the scraps. It isn't right. Why does Oregon State have an inherit birthright that puts them in a much better place FOREVER than Colorado State? The entire system needs to be blown up, and 0 dollars of revenue is just the ticket to blow it up.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post (total 2):
SBC_packersShowMeAggie

Chatman

Post by Chatman » August 13th, 2020, 8:54 am

I think an 8 team playoff in this format:

5 teams representing the champion from each P5 conference

2 at large teams

1 team represented from the G5 conferences

This gives a team from each P5 conference a playoff chance, gives you the two at-large teams, and also keeps the magic of a Cinderella team breaking in while giving hope to all teams to have a path to a championship.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » August 13th, 2020, 8:57 am

Chatman wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 8:54 am

2 at large teams

This gives a team from each P5 conference a playoff chance, gives you the two at-large teams, and also keeps the magic of a Cinderella team breaking in while giving hope to all teams to have a path to a championship.
I appreciate where you are coming from, but this just continues the 2 class system of college football.
This doesn't exist in college basketball because the 64 teams can come from anywhere (and all tourny champs have to get in). That's how you have a Villanova win the national championship.

Your system will still push the best recruits to Oregon State versus a G5 school.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 13th, 2020, 9:11 am

Sl7vk wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 8:57 am
Chatman wrote:

2 at large teams

I appreciate where you are coming from, but this just continues the 2 class system of college football.
This doesn't exist in college basketball because the 64 teams can come from anywhere (and all tourny champs have to get in). That's how you have a Villanova win the national championship.

Your system will still push the best recruits to Oregon State versus a G5 school.
Everyone craps their pants when I say this, but a 16, 24, or even 32 team playoff would be ideal.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkAggieBlues

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » August 13th, 2020, 9:46 am

Sl7vk wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 8:07 am
The entire thing has gotten ridiculous and it was time for a reset anyway.
I'm not talking about USU right now, but they've been caught up in the landscape like everyone else.

-How is it that the highest paid public employee in every state is the football coach of that state school?
How does that make any sense? Don't get me wrong, it's a hard job, it's a ton of pressure, but is it 5 million dollars a year, when a tenure track professor is making 70k? We are talking about ridiculous multipliers between the the coach and the lowest paid employee.

-Facilities have gotten out of control. Locker rooms, practice facilities, stadiums. It used to be you needed weights, now you need to spend millions on weight rooms to show your recruits how important football is to your school.

-The gap between the haves and have not's has continued to grow and G5 schools are not in a good spot. P5 dictates, and a school like ours just has to pick up the scraps. It isn't right. Why does Oregon State have an inherit birthright that puts them in a much better place FOREVER than Colorado State? The entire system needs to be blown up, and 0 dollars of revenue is just the ticket to blow it up.
When you bring in the most money, you get paid the most money. I don't blame football coaches getting paid so much. I blame our society having their priorities in a way that makes it so we have to pay our football coaches so much.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 13th, 2020, 9:56 am

As a society, we put way too much emphasis and adoration on athletic prowess.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
Sl7vk

agster
Has thanked: 0

Post by agster » August 13th, 2020, 11:39 am

This is definitely political. Look at this map. Governers in the red states want a lock down so university presidents comply and so do conference commissioners.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » August 13th, 2020, 12:42 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 9:11 am
Sl7vk wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 8:57 am
Chatman wrote:

2 at large teams

Everyone craps their pants when I say this, but a 16, 24, or even 32 team playoff would be ideal.
No, I completely agree with you. A 16 team playoff is perfect. Each of the ten conference champions get an automatic bid, then six at-large spots. IMHO the rule should be no more than three teams from each conference (that way it is not always the ten conference champions plus six more SEC schools). The top ten seeds are the conference champions, the six at-large teams are the "wild card" teams, seeded 11-16, regardless of record or conference (there should be a reward for winning your conference). Independent schools are only guaranteed a spot if they are ranked in the top 6 in the final regular season rankings, and no school can be selected for an at-large spot over a higher ranked independent. The first round games are held at the home stadiums of the top eight seeds (I realize that this means Notre Dame would never get to host a playoff game, but screw them, they can join a conference then), with second round, semi-finals, and the championship held at neutral sites. It is fair, it gives more revenue to the power conferences as they are still going to get more bids, and begins to even the playing field a bit.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » August 13th, 2020, 1:19 pm

At the very least they could have a G5 champion and a P5 champion, and let them play each other for the College championship. Kind of like the old NFL champ playing the AFL champ in the Super Bowl. That would also seem like it would , in time, make recruiting a little more interesting, especially the transfer portal.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 13th, 2020, 2:10 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 1:19 pm
At the very least they could have a G5 champion and a P5 champion, and let them play each other for the College championship. Kind of like the old NFL champ playing the AFL champ in the Super Bowl. That would also seem like it would , in time, make recruiting a little more interesting, especially the transfer portal.
I think the G5 champion should be in an 8 game playoff with the P5 but going head to head with the P5 champ wouldn't be an entertaining game most of the time. Plus if the P5 already played their championship, they won't want to play another game that is essentially an additional bowl game.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » August 13th, 2020, 7:36 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 2:10 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 1:19 pm
I think the G5 champion should be in an 8 game playoff with the P5 but going head to head with the P5 champ wouldn't be an entertaining game most of the time. Plus if the P5 already played their championship, they won't want to play another game that is essentially an additional bowl game.
Who knows what would happen with transfer recruiting if a championship between P5 and G5 took place. Teams could get stronger faster. I agree that the P5 vs. G5 might not be as interesting as they would want it to be. The AFL as a whole wasn't as good as the NFL from top to bottom, but KC and Oakland sure did their damage early in the Super Bowl process. I know my suggestion is a stretch, but who knows what will happen from here. As for a P5 school not wanting to play another game..... I don't see that happening at all. It would just put that much more money in the coffers of the participating institutions.
I do like your idea of the G5 champion playing in an 8 team playoff with the P5's, but it would it also not be an entertaining game???

Locked Previous topicNext topic