Nebraska won't be playing rogue this fall

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NowhereLandAggie

Nebraska won't be playing rogue this fall

Post by NowhereLandAggie » August 12th, 2020, 6:50 am

Big 10 put out a statement threatening to withhold distribution and pull membership if they try.

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-commis ... 33028.html

Similar things could happen with schools in MW, not sure about Air Force with Army and Navy, but schools from MW won't play this fall.

I think there will be some other conferences that pack it up as well. More dominoes will fall.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Nebraska won't be playing rogue this fall

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 12th, 2020, 7:01 am

Right,

Likely every conference ends up cancelling. If the SEC holds out and plays I could see Ohio State, Michigan and Nebraska want to leave the conference though. Football programs of that magnitude aren't going to be happy not playing while others are.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
aggies22NavyBlueAggie

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » August 12th, 2020, 7:13 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 7:01 am
Right,

Likely every conference ends up cancelling. If the SEC holds out and plays I could see Ohio State, Michigan and Nebraska want to leave the conference though. Football programs of that magnitude aren't going to be happy not playing while others are.
I don't, that is a messy slope they probably won't go down. The Big 10 would require massive exit fees, and then they would have to find a long-term home after. It isn't as simple as just pulling in and out.

Nebraska was one of 2 dissenters, but the league voted 12-2 to not play this fall. Only Iowa and Nebraska voted to play. (Rural schools.) That means Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State were all on board.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/coll ... 334151001/

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » August 12th, 2020, 7:22 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 7:13 am
Right,

I don't, that is a messy slope they probably won't go down. The Big 10 would require massive exit fees, and then they would have to find a long-term home after. It isn't as simple as just pulling in and out.

Nebraska was one of 2 dissenters, but the league voted 12-2 to not play this fall. Only Iowa and Nebraska voted to play. (Rural schools.) That means Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State were all on board.

Not a lawyer, so I don't know, but wouldn't those schools be able to use the force majuere clause that gets the schools out of paying the contract for canceled games to get out of paying the exit fee? Is that a possibility? I assume it would all depend on the language, but thought I'd ask.

Go Aggies!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 12th, 2020, 7:23 am

There is a lot of talk in Lincoln and here in the Midwest of returning to big 12. Maybe even permanently. Don’t know what that looks from a legal and time standpoint. But fans and administration don’t seem fully satisfied. With that said could they convince Iowa to come with them. If not who could that extra team be to get to 12.

With that said most conference changing talk ends up being just talk.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 12th, 2020, 7:56 am

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
Right,

Yeah it certainly wouldn't be a lickity split move. That is why I said they would want to leave, not that they would be gone tomorrow. It would create a huge rift between the power schools and the Big 10 if other conferences end up playing that may lead to them eventually leaving. Can you imagine Ohio State not playing football next year while other schools do? It would be crazy. Ohio State has been the most consistently dominant program of the last 30 years. You could understand their anger if that were to occur.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 12th, 2020, 8:44 am

Big 12 would take Nebraska back after about six seconds of deliberation and seven minutes of playing hardball.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » August 12th, 2020, 9:12 am

Aggie19 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 7:22 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
Right,

Not a lawyer, so I don't know, but wouldn't those schools be able to use the force majuere clause that gets the schools out of paying the contract for canceled games to get out of paying the exit fee? Is that a possibility? I assume it would all depend on the language, but thought I'd ask.
Force majuere clauses in contracts are strictly enforced based on their language by most courts. So if you have force majuere language stating you are excused from performing due to a hurricane but a tornado comes through the force majuere clause would not provide an excuse to not perform. With how strictly courts apply force majuere language, I would not be surprised under the hurricane example if a court held force majuere does not apply if a couple of days before game is scheduled to be played the hurricane is lowed to a tropical storm and then it rolls through.

With conferences cancelling their seasons force majuere is probably irrelevantissue. Because both the PAC12 and MWC have cancelled their seasons, USU would not be able to try to go after Washington for the payout since USU is not available to play either. To have a viable claim, USU would have to be able to perform under the contract and at this point USU probably cannot. I would expect most individual schools lack much of an ability to forge ahead and play games even though the conferences have cancelled everything.

And if football was allowed to play but various woman's sports were not, there would likely be a discrimination and Title IX claim that the boys are allowed to play but not the girls.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post:
Aggie19

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 12th, 2020, 9:36 am

How would a conference stop you from playing football if they decide to cancel the season and you want to play? They might be entitled to TV revenue, but so what?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 12th, 2020, 9:47 am

ViAggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:36 am
How would a conference stop you from playing football if they decide to cancel the season and you want to play? They might be entitled to TV revenue, but so what?
They can kick you out of the conference and even fine you for breach of contract.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » August 12th, 2020, 10:14 am

[b wrote:"Aggie formerly in Hawaii[/b]" post_id=650432 time=1597237311 user_id=4448]
Right,

The schools mentioned above, along with the SEC are making bank from their football and related premium sales programs. We may be seeing a rush to judgement with the assorted cancellations of this football season. Insightful post Hawaii, and I believe some heavy infighting is ongoing about the fallout from games being cancelled. History will be the judge of these decisions.

Locked Previous topicNext topic