Why don't we just go Indy this season?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

Why don't we just go Indy this season?

Post by ViAggie » August 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Keep our game with ybu
Play AFA (they seem wiling)
Maybe Wyo and the other mnt. western state schools might want to play?
Schedule a one-off at Nebraska?
Play some SEC schools?
Join the PAC12 sans the California, Oregon and Washington Schools?

:noidea: worth a try, why cancel the season?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: Why don't we just go Indy this season?

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 11th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Lol, now Mr Doom and Gloom wants to play, haha.

I do agree though. If we can get a semblance of a season even if it is 3 games vs instate opponents we should do that. Even if they get another year of eligibility, there will be players who will graduate and move on with their lives. They deserve to play again before leaving school even if it is a few games in front of few or no fans.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 11th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 12:49 pm

I do agree though. If we can get a semblance of a season even if it is 3 games vs instate opponents we should do that. Even if they get another year of eligibility, there will be players who will graduate and move on with their lives. They deserve to play again before leaving school even if it is a few games in front of few or no fans.
Oh don't get me wrong, I always wanted to play, I just figured this is where it was all going, and never wavered. I'm still doubtful there will be a season, but why not plan for one right up until everyone else decides not to. I'd be thrilled if we had a season!!!

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 11th, 2020, 12:55 pm

We don't own the media rights. So any media money would go to the conference. Media approval would go through the conference. We would have all the costs of a full season with next to no income. In fact, my understanding is that the conference could just say that we can't be televised. Maybe I understand wrong.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 11th, 2020, 1:00 pm

ViAggie wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 12:52 pm
August 11th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Oh don't get me wrong, I always wanted to play, I just figured this is where it was all going, and never wavered. I'm still doubtful there will be a season, but why not plan for one right up until everyone else decides not to. I'd be thrilled if we had a season!!!
I agree. The trajectory has been terrible and so has the transparency. It always seemed we were on the road to cancellation. I hope they can get something done. At this point if they played SUU, Weber State and byu, it would seem like something positive.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 11th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Yea keep our game with YBU, schedule Weber, SUU and Dixie, and AFA! Why the hell not????????

@YBU
SUU
Weber
AFA
Dixie
@Nebraska

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 11th, 2020, 1:07 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 12:55 pm
We don't own the media rights. So any media money would go to the conference. Media approval would go through the conference. We would have all the costs of a full season with next to no income. In fact, my understanding is that the conference could just say that we can't be televised. Maybe I understand wrong.
I think if we play or not we'll have 90% of the costs of a real season anyway. What are the big costs of a football season? Coaching salaries, still probably being paid. Scholarships, still going. Loans on buildings, still being paid... We save money on travel and I guess like the training table? What else am I missing? If we could make even $500k this year it would be better than not playing, I would imagine.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 12th, 2020, 9:39 am

ViAggie wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 1:02 pm
Yea keep our game with YBU, schedule Weber, SUU and Dixie, and AFA! Why the hell not????????

@YBU
SUU
Weber
AFA
Dixie
@Nebraska
Army, Navy and the BIG-12 schools are looking for opponents as well. We could schedule Texas Tech as our money game.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 12th, 2020, 9:43 am

aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:39 am
ViAggie wrote:

@YBU
SUU
Weber
AFA
Dixie
@Nebraska
Army, Navy and the BIG-12 schools are looking for opponents as well. We could schedule Texas Tech as our money game.
:lol: I'm sure coach Wells would be thrilled to play us

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 12th, 2020, 9:45 am

ViAggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:43 am
aggies22 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 9:39 am
ViAggie wrote:

@YBU
SUU
Weber
AFA
Dixie
@Nebraska
:lol: I'm sure coach Wells would be thrilled to play us
Haha! I don't know? I just threw that out there, because why the hell not?

Agezzz

Post by Agezzz » August 12th, 2020, 11:18 am

ViAggie wrote:

@YBU
SUU
Weber
AFA
Dixie
@Nebraska
This is without doubt a terrible idea!!! So, just so you can see a FB game, have the Seniors lose a season, the redshirts move up and on and on with some $hitty schedule. We are in a conference and we should be grownups and try for a spring season. Are we really this selfish that we want football at the expense of players safety? No one knows the long term effects on young people. I'm sure some of you think this is some made up nonsense disease developed by one political party to get power over another. It's not! I have lost friends to this made up disease. Quite frankly if the US had paid attention and lived with all the mitigation procedures that work, we would be playing RIGHT NOW! This is on all of us as a society. Send this to the sandbox if you want, but these comments are very disappointing. Grow a set and accept the world we are living in. Your civil liberties are still safe!
These users thanked the author Agezzz for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelfoleblu111

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » August 12th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Agezzz wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:18 am
ViAggie wrote:

@YBU
SUU
Weber
AFA
Dixie
@Nebraska
This is without doubt a terrible idea!!! So, just so you can see a FB game, have the Seniors lose a season, the redshirts move up and on and on with some $hitty schedule. We are in a conference and we should be grownups and try for a spring season. Are we really this selfish that we want football at the expense of players safety? No one knows the long term effects on young people. I'm sure some of you think this is some made up nonsense disease developed by one political party to get power over another. It's not! I have lost friends to this made up disease. Quite frankly if the US had paid attention and lived with all the mitigation procedures that work, we would be playing RIGHT NOW! This is on all of us as a society. Send this to the sandbox if you want, but these comments are very disappointing. Grow a set and accept the world we are living in. Your civil liberties are still safe!
That is the best post ever on this site. Congrats

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 12th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Agezzz wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

@YBU
SUU
Weber
AFA
Dixie
@Nebraska

Dont be so naive. We most certainly would not be playing right now. The goal went from flatten the curve to zero cases. There would still be liability on the schools, which is the reason we don't have a season. Its not about the players safety.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » August 12th, 2020, 1:20 pm

2004AG wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 1:16 pm
Agezzz wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

@YBU
SUU
Weber
AFA
Dixie
@Nebraska

Dont be so naive. We most certainly would not be playing right now. The goal went from flatten the curve to zero cases. There would still be liability on the schools, which is the reason we don't have a season. Its not about the players safety.
So, I've heard that the goal is zero cases, over and over on here. Can someone point me in the direction of where that was ever stated to be the case? I keep reading it on here, but haven't seen anywhere else where this is the case. I would like actual sources, not assumptions based on decisions, cuz none of us are in that room when decisions are made. Sincere question.

Go Aggies!

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 12th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 1:20 pm
2004AG wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

@YBU
SUU
Weber
AFA
Dixie
@Nebraska

So, I've heard that the goal is zero cases, over and over on here. Can someone point me in the direction of where that was ever stated to be the case? I keep reading it on here, but haven't seen anywhere else where this is the case. I would like actual sources, not assumptions based on decisions, cuz none of us are in that room when decisions are made. Sincere question.
Well there hasn't exactly been great transparency on the decisions being made. That is something I would like to see. They should let us know what their standard is for having a season and what needs to be accomplished to meet that standard. Instead it is just bits and pieces of news and kicking the can down the road.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
Aggie192004AG

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » August 12th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Great idea if you don't want to be in the Mountain West anymore

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » August 12th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 1:20 pm
2004AG wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

@YBU
SUU
Weber
AFA
Dixie
@Nebraska

I'll ask you a similar question. Can you point me to the statement from school presidents and/or government officials who say we could have had a season based on certain metrics being "X"? I keep reading over and over that if only people wore masks we would have a season.

He's the thing, the season isn't being canceled for player safety. Its hard to make the argument that players are safer not playing football. The players will still be in classes, still work out with the team, can still protest.....they just can't play football.

This decision is based on school presidents covering their asses. So unless the virus drops to zero, there will still be the concern presidents have wanting to cover their asses. There will still be liability until there are zero cases.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » August 12th, 2020, 1:53 pm

2004AG wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

@YBU
SUU
Weber
AFA
Dixie
@Nebraska

Agreed, even in countries where they have had fewer cases, there are no big sporting events. They pushed the Olympics back a year because of the outbreak, we'll see what happens even next summer.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 12th, 2020, 2:44 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 1:53 pm
2004AG wrote:
Agezzz wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

@YBU
SUU
Weber
AFA
Dixie
@Nebraska

Agreed, even in countries where they have had fewer cases, there are no big sporting events. They pushed the Olympics back a year because of the outbreak, we'll see what happens even next summer.
Well there are big sporting events, just not with fans. Pro sports are moving on. The NBA playoffs start this week and Baseball is in high gear with the NFL starting up soon. Premier league, PGA, Nascar NHL, etc. . . have all figured out a way to move forward albeit with serious adjustments. College sports is where they are still failing to figure it out.

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » August 12th, 2020, 3:24 pm

This comes down to one thing. What is the best possible choice/outcome for the institution? Followed by what is best for the student athlete?

I want to see USU football in the best position possible in the future without destroying the players experience completely. I'd be really interested in a travel distance limit, pooling all television money across playing teams, and allowing basically a free year to students (if they don't play they get another year.) While I'm at it I want a 50 percent stake in Amazon and world peace.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author pilotaggie for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 12th, 2020, 3:32 pm

pilotaggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 3:24 pm
This comes down to one thing. What is the best possible choice/outcome for the institution? Followed by what is best for the student athlete?

I want to see USU football in the best position possible in the future without destroying the players experience completely. I'd be really interested in a travel distance limit, pooling all television money across playing teams, and allowing basically a free year to students (if they don't play they get another year.) While I'm at it I want a 50 percent stake in Amazon and world peace.

This is poor sarcasm and I cannot take it seriously.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
pilotaggie

pilotaggie

Post by pilotaggie » August 12th, 2020, 3:56 pm

pilotaggie wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 3:24 pm

This is poor sarcasm and I cannot take it seriously.
Mr. Pilotaggie, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

This post is likely straight up poor sarcasm and cannot be taken seriously.

Locked Previous topicNext topic