No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ViAggie

Re: No College Football this fall according to 2 P5 ADs

Post by ViAggie » August 10th, 2020, 12:08 pm

USU78 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 11:59 am
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 7:57 pm
IdaAg93 wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 7:35 pm
A simple examination of Europe and you'll see that life goes on after the spike. CV19 will run its course. It's either slow or fast. Masks didn't stop or slow the decline in cases in Europe. This is just fear. It's real, but it is not uncommon to sit people out due to the common flu. Just plain over-reaction. React, but shut down? The overwhelming other consequences are unmeasurable and seem to be forgotten.
Europe has had much more stringent distancing procedures in place so many never had the influx like the USA.

I am not trying to turn this into one of the literally dozens of threads about this that head to the Sandbox, I really wonder if these large crowds are worth the risk considering all of the potential ramifications to more essential businesses.
Two words: Sweden.
:lol:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 10th, 2020, 12:54 pm

NowhereLandAggie wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 9:28 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:44 am
The death rate is currently at 3% when you include 75 yo and up. It’s much, much less when you don’t. You know what else has a 3 in 100 chance of death? Driving a car.
It is even close to that. It is a 0.012% chance of death in a car.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-vehic ... and-rates/

I actually wonder more about the crowds than the players anyways. Putting 10's of thousands of people in stadiums means the chance transmission increases. If a season does happen Pennsylvania schools have already said no fans at the games.

Again, college sports don't seem as essential to me as many other jobs such as grocery store workers etc., I just wonder if it is worth the risk.
What I read was referencing 19-20 year old males and it was 2.5% chance of dying in a car crash but it was from 2014 I think so it could have improved due to counter measures since as stated. However, the death rate in US for ages 18-24 due to Covid is still much better.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 10th, 2020, 1:08 pm

JSHarvey wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 9:54 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:44 am
What we’ve been witnessing is the first social media driven pandemic. Politicians, businesses, and in this case universities are all responding to the fear and uncertainty that has boiled over from social media and media outlets.
No one wants to be held liable despite the data clearly showing who needs to be careful at this point and who can go back to life as usual.

The death rate is currently at 3% when you include 75 yo and up. It’s much, much less when you don’t. You know what else has a 3 in 100 chance of death? Driving a car.
There are about 227 million licensed drivers in the US. We have less than 40,000 traffic related deaths a year. We've already had over 150,000 COVID-19 deaths. So on its face the deaths rates for the two are vastly different.

For driving the rate is somewhere around .000134 per driver per year.
For COVID-19 it is a bit harder to calculate as the number of infected folks is unknown but the best guess of the folks who are trying to track it is about 5 million. That gives a death rate of .03.
So driving is "roughly" 300 times "safer" than catching COVID-19.
One major problem is no one really knows the true death rate or better said the true number of deaths from Covid because of how bad it has been calculated across the country. Hospitals and clinics are incentivized to list the patient as having died from Covid. That’s how you get a guy in Florida who struck by lightning, falls off the roof, and apparently died from Covid. Or the 21-year-old in Florida died in a motorcycle accident because of Covid.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » August 10th, 2020, 1:23 pm

It's about COVID, but it's also mostly about protecting a cash cow based on the sham of "student-athlete."

"Amateurism + pandemic = no college sports. It's that simple. End amateurism, let players organize and collectively bargain like pros, and then maybe you get college sports during a pandemic. Schools will cancel and take it on the chin in short term to keep amateurism long term."

These users thanked the author jimbo for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 10th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Can you imagine getting into a graduate program to better your career opportunities and being told you’ll have to delay the program for a year because of Covid? Heck no. All that work to get to that point, for me it would be worth the risk to continue. If given the choice to attend the program and not see my parents or grandparents in person for a year I would still do it.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 10th, 2020, 1:33 pm

ViAggie wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 12:08 pm
USU78 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
IdaAg93 wrote:
A simple examination of Europe and you'll see that life goes on after the spike. CV19 will run its course. It's either slow or fast. Masks didn't stop or slow the decline in cases in Europe. This is just fear. It's real, but it is not uncommon to sit people out due to the common flu. Just plain over-reaction. React, but shut down? The overwhelming other consequences are unmeasurable and seem to be forgotten.
Europe has had much more stringent distancing procedures in place so many never had the influx like the USA.

I am not trying to turn this into one of the literally dozens of threads about this that head to the Sandbox, I really wonder if these large crowds are worth the risk considering all of the potential ramifications to more essential businesses.
Sweden did it right
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
USU78

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » August 10th, 2020, 1:34 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 1:33 pm
ViAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
IdaAg93 wrote:

Sweden did it right
Increasingly looking that way.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 10th, 2020, 1:41 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Can you imagine getting into a graduate program to better your career opportunities and being told you’ll have to delay the program for a year because of Covid? Heck no. All that work to get to that point, for me it would be worth the risk to continue. If given the choice to attend the program and not see my parents or grandparents in person for a year I would still do it.
That has effectively happened to people. Going online has pushed peoples education and internships back. So it is happening.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 10th, 2020, 1:55 pm

thegreendalegelf wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 1:41 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
That has effectively happened to people. Going online has pushed peoples education and internships back. So it is happening.
I figured. I was just trying to apply this situation to everyone here. What would you do?

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » August 10th, 2020, 2:21 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
IdaAg93 wrote:

Sweden did it right
I totally agree.
It's too bad we keep dragging it out. I don't see this ever ending because the fear mongering media won't let it happen.
I am hoping that Utah High school fall sports including football will happen without any major problems.
These users thanked the author blueaggie for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21aggies22

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 10th, 2020, 2:29 pm

blueaggie wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 2:21 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
IdaAg93 wrote:

Sweden did it right
I totally agree.
It's too bad we keep dragging it out. I don't see this ever ending because the fear mongering media won't let it happen.
I am hoping that Utah High school fall sports including football will happen without any major problems.

Media’s approach to Covid

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 10th, 2020, 2:43 pm

blueaggie wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 2:21 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
USU78 wrote:
NowhereLandAggie wrote:
IdaAg93 wrote:

Sweden did it right
I totally agree.
It's too bad we keep dragging it out. I don't see this ever ending because the fear-mongering media won't let it happen.
As one of the only and certainly the first state to play high school football, Utah has the chance to either really screw this up or show that all this has been a pile of media-driven bull$hit.

fetchingaggiefan22

Post by fetchingaggiefan22 » August 10th, 2020, 6:05 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 6:23 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 6:04 pm
Idiots, all of them. They can’t admit these players aren’t fully amateurs, so they can’t put them in a bubble. And they also think the world’s fittest 20 year olds are going to die from this virus.
I'm 100% in this camp. This is about cases of CV19 now, not deaths. Yes, people will get the virus, but they'll be fine. It's the 70 yr old obese or metabolically unhealthy person that is at risk. Those people aren't on the field. If that's you in the stands, then I'd suggest don't go or get on the healthy side of life. This CV19 is exposing peoples fear of their own poor health. It's a shame....yes, I'm on my soap box out. It's the 80 yr old obese person driving this bus. Get me off of it!! :bangwall:
Sorry but this take is selfish. Yes, a lot of people recover from the virus. However, there are so many that don't, even those who are "healthy". I have a close friend who has seen these so called "healthy" individuals go through the worst of the worst with this virus. I know people who have lost their life to this. As much as I would love to watch football this season it takes a back seat to this.
These users thanked the author fetchingaggiefan22 for the post:
ChowderAggie

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » August 10th, 2020, 6:17 pm

fetchingaggiefan22 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 6:05 pm
IdaAg93 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Idiots, all of them. They can’t admit these players aren’t fully amateurs, so they can’t put them in a bubble. And they also think the world’s fittest 20 year olds are going to die from this virus.
I'm 100% in this camp. This is about cases of CV19 now, not deaths. Yes, people will get the virus, but they'll be fine. It's the 70 yr old obese or metabolically unhealthy person that is at risk. Those people aren't on the field. If that's you in the stands, then I'd suggest don't go or get on the healthy side of life. This CV19 is exposing peoples fear of their own poor health. It's a shame....yes, I'm on my soap box out. It's the 80 yr old obese person driving this bus. Get me off of it!! :bangwall:
Sorry but this take is selfish. Yes, a lot of people recover from the virus. However, there are so many that don't, even those who are "healthy". I have a close friend who has seen these so called "healthy" individuals go through the worst of the worst with this virus. I know people who have lost their life to this. As much as I would love to watch football this season it takes a back seat to this.
Cancelling the football season doesn't keep the players from contracting the virus. They will still be breathing and living like most people who have contracted it, whether at home or at school. Except now they won't have daily access to trainers and doctors and medical staffs, and the testing and avoidance protocols and increased structure that would have been part of every program. Maybe they'd be at greater risk of contracting the virus by training, practicing and playing the season. But nobody knows that, or by how much.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Nobody here knows anything.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 10th, 2020, 8:59 pm

Yup, they would’ve been better cared for with the team than dismissed for the semester.

sockpuppet

Post by sockpuppet » August 10th, 2020, 9:00 pm

We should play the college football such as evidenced by Sweden's successful college football season.
These users thanked the author sockpuppet for the post:
Sl7vk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 10th, 2020, 9:02 pm

fetchingaggiefan22 wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 6:05 pm
IdaAg93 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Out of curiosity, true curiosity and not to argue, what ages and in what physical condition were the people in that both you and your friend knew?

Locked Previous topicNext topic