Looks like our schedule is set

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025

Re: Looks like our schedule is set

Post by Aggie84025 » August 5th, 2020, 2:37 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 1:47 pm
Sounds like the MW is wanting to control every weekend after September 26th.. So while our opponents "could be" set the dates are not.

It sounds like the MW wants to have built in bye for the 1st few weeks on conferences games. Similar to PAC 12. Which means byu will not be playing Boise and SDSU in November.

The sticking point to this is Air force.

SDSU and Boise have have 3 OCC games so both will be dropping at least one. USU will seem to have 2 OCC games already but I could see us making a adjustment to that to get a P5 game. If we drop the byu game this year it also off sets the byu/ Boise same year that our AD dislikes.

I think byu will drop AT LEAST one MW game due to schedule demands of the MWC. They will be able to find games in September I think but Oct and November are going to be very tough.

It will be interesting to see how they handle this with AF. As AF will push to play army/ Navy later in the year.

Thanks for the detailed description. So are you saying if we play BYU we may play them sooner or just push back the series and schedule another replacement this year, did I understand that correctly?

coolag

Post by coolag » August 5th, 2020, 4:02 pm

I don't think people don't want to play them. There are just some of us that dont want to help them out of the crap hole they got themselves into by being byu'ish and going independent because they didn't get their way. Yes they draw a crowd in Logan. So do Weber State and SUU, all be it less. Like someone said above, if we play great. But if we don't so be it. BYU will always scheme and manipulate to get what they want. That's ok. I just wish we would look out for #1 as much as everyone else does.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post:
Aggie19

Regulator of Class

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 5th, 2020, 4:10 pm

coolag wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 4:02 pm
I don't think people don't want to play them. There are just some of us that dont want to help them out of the crap hole they got themselves into by being byu'ish and going independent because they didn't get their way. Yes they draw a crowd in Logan. So do Weber State and SUU, all be it less. Like someone said above, if we play great. But if we don't so be it. BYU will always scheme and manipulate to get what they want. That's ok. I just wish we would look out for #1 as much as everyone else does.
Those schools don't draw near the crowd the byu game does and fans care far more about the byu game. It is always a good thing to beat byu.

Our current relationship with byu is actually pretty fair. We have alternated Logan to Provo every year since 2012. It is much better than it used to be. The basketball relationship is fair to a point, but I agree we need to get rid of the SLC game altogether and just alternate Provo-Logan.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » August 5th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 2:37 pm
MWCFAN12 wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 1:47 pm
Sounds like the MW is wanting to control every weekend after September 26th.. So while our opponents "could be" set the dates are not.

It sounds like the MW wants to have built in bye for the 1st few weeks on conferences games. Similar to PAC 12. Which means byu will not be playing Boise and SDSU in November.

The sticking point to this is Air force.

SDSU and Boise have have 3 OCC games so both will be dropping at least one. USU will seem to have 2 OCC games already but I could see us making a adjustment to that to get a P5 game. If we drop the byu game this year it also off sets the byu/ Boise same year that our AD dislikes.

I think byu will drop AT LEAST one MW game due to schedule demands of the MWC. They will be able to find games in September I think but Oct and November are going to be very tough.

It will be interesting to see how they handle this with AF. As AF will push to play army/ Navy later in the year.

Thanks for the detailed description. So are you saying if we play BYU we may play them sooner or just push back the series and schedule another replacement this year, did I understand that correctly?

Yes that is what I am guessing. I am kind of reading the tea leaves on this one.
I know the MW wants to play 2 - 3 weeks of conference games and then a coordinated bye week you could use for each "pod" of teams. This bye week is a fall back to use as a make up date. Very similar to PAC 12 schedule.

Idk if they will use this format. But I hear it is preferred by Cali schools and local government. ( according to a buddy in the AD at SDSU)

The byu part is me reading tea leaves. The MW is doing what is best for the MW. I dont think anyone is afraid to cancel byu if it helps the MWC get the schedule they want/need to play a full conference schedule.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » August 5th, 2020, 6:49 pm

The reason i don’t want to play them is because as much as I love beating them I absolutely hate losing to them. This is Kilani’s best team he’s ever had at BYU and I think it will be a tall task to beat them. I wouldn’t mind not playing them this year.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 5th, 2020, 7:07 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 6:49 pm
The reason i don’t want to play them is because as much as I love beating them I absolutely hate losing to them. This is Kilani’s best team he’s ever had at BYU and I think it will be a tall task to beat them. I wouldn’t mind not playing them this year.
Coward
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
sam tingeyAggiePT

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 5th, 2020, 7:21 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
Hey at least you are honest, but imo we should have graduated from this mindset. byu beat us what 20 out of 21 times and I remember Aggie fans still wanting to play them every year and even mocking byu fans for refusing us to play in Logan every other year despite at that time our program being vastly inferior to theirs during that stretch. We are pretty even with byu now. We have beat them twice in Provo in recent history and have won 2 of 3. Their record over the last several years isn't much better than ours. Other than 2016 we go into every byu game believing we have a chance to win. There should be no inferiority complex.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » August 5th, 2020, 7:33 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 7:07 pm
Elkaggie wrote:
Coward
Just being honest.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » August 5th, 2020, 7:54 pm

The MWC says no games before 9 26, SUU has EWU on 9 26, USU has an open date then. I am not sure who USU has for 10th game.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » August 6th, 2020, 1:43 am

If BYU is going to exist, and circumstances were normal, I'd want to play them. But I cannot overlook almost 50 years of them doing everything they can to screw USU by destroying the Skyline Conference, blackballing USUs membership in the WAC, and later MWC, to "The Project" of the early 2010s. So if circumstances are such that BYU is in a bad position, partially due to their own hubris, that can have long term devastating consequences for their program, I want to kick them while they are down. I want them to be in a position to have to beg for Big Sky membership. I want to see their program crumble into oblivion. This is the year that could push them well down that road, especially if the G5 conferences were to follow the lead of the P5 conferences and limit themselves to at best, one OOC game. As others have said, USUs best and most realistic hope each season is a MWC title, and BYU does nothing whatsoever to further that goal. It is fun to have that rivalry, but it is not essential for USUs season goals.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 8):
USU78Sl7vkaggies222004AGJSHarveycodingaggiesuperheroboyutahcountyaggie

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » August 6th, 2020, 8:05 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 1:43 am
If BYU is going to exist, and circumstances were normal, I'd want to play them. But I cannot overlook almost 50 years of them doing everything they can to screw USU by destroying the Skyline Conference, blackballing USUs membership in the WAC, and later MWC, to "The Project" of the early 2010s. So if circumstances are such that BYU is in a bad position, partially due to their own hubris, that can have long term devastating consequences for their program, I want to kick them while they are down. I want them to be in a position to have to beg for Big Sky membership. I want to see their program crumble into oblivion. This is the year that could push them well down that road, especially if the G5 conferences were to follow the lead of the P5 conferences and limit themselves to at best, one OOC game. As others have said, USUs best and most realistic hope each season is a MWC title, and BYU does nothing whatsoever to further that goal. It is fun to have that rivalry, but it is not essential for USUs season goals.
Perfectly stated.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 6th, 2020, 8:17 am

swordsman1989 wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 1:43 am
I've said the same thing many times. Well said my Aggie brother!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Sl7vk

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 6th, 2020, 8:34 am

Does anyone know if we are staying with same dates for our conference games as was originally released on the calendar or is the conference going to re-shuffle the conference games?

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » August 6th, 2020, 8:56 am

What’s the logic for having no games before September 26? It seems to me it’d be better to have more bye weeks throughout the season for COVID flexibility?

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » August 6th, 2020, 9:06 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 8:34 am
Does anyone know if we are staying with same dates for our conference games as was originally released on the calendar or is the conference going to re-shuffle the conference games?
That's a question I wonder as well, but if I had to guess then I'd say they follow the AAC. The AAC is keeping the conference schedule as it's currently placed and no reshuffling. The MW normally plays 8 conference games so they'd probably keep it as is.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » August 6th, 2020, 9:21 am

Is it worth paying (supposedly $330,000) to play SUU? Or should we drop that game (can we?) and try to schedule some type of money game if any are available?
These users thanked the author JSHarvey for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 6th, 2020, 9:23 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 8:56 am
What’s the logic for having no games before September 26? It seems to me it’d be better to have more bye weeks throughout the season for COVID flexibility?
It's because for a season to happen it needs to be delayed. To start games in the end of August or early Sept. you already need to have practices and camp going right now, which isn't really feasible. They're also trying to buy time to hopefully continue to have Covid-19 numbers go down and at least have us have more information about it.

There's still a really good chance the season is cancelled. They've essentially just cancelled the first month already. They're just buying time to hope that a season can still happen.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on August 6th, 2020, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jayzep

Post by Jayzep » August 6th, 2020, 9:36 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 9:23 am
BLUERUFiO wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 8:56 am
It's because for a season to happy it needs to be delayed. To start games in the end of August or early Sept. you already need to have practices and camp going right now, which isn't really feasible. They're also trying to buy time to hopefully continue to have Covid-19 numbers go down and at least have us have more information about it.

There's still a really good chance the season is cancelled. They've essentially just cancelled the first month already. They're just buying time to hope that a season can still happen.
This sounds correct to me, I'd be in favor of dropping all non conference games and adding two games from the west division and calling it a 10 game season.
These users thanked the author Jayzep for the post (total 2):
aggies22JSHarvey

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » August 6th, 2020, 10:01 am

Is the SUU game canceled?

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » August 6th, 2020, 10:39 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 10:01 am

Can't wait. Hope they allow fans so i can go to the game.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 6th, 2020, 10:57 am

I've heard rumblings that We're trying to find an opponent to play to replace SUU. The game would have to be big enough to garner one of our TV partners to cover the game so that the income from the game would be enough to buy out SUU and then some.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post (total 2):
aggies22AZ4AggieNation

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 6th, 2020, 11:46 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 10:57 am
I've heard rumblings that We're trying to find an opponent to play to replace SUU. The game would have to be big enough to garner one of our TV partners to cover the game so that the income from the game would be enough to buy out SUU and then some.
Theoretically we could pay SUU out of the funds that we get from Washington. If we don’t get funds from Washington, we have our precedent to not pay SUU.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 6th, 2020, 11:54 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 11:46 am
aceofspadeskb wrote:
Theoretically we could pay SUU out of the funds that we get from Washington. If we don’t get funds from Washington, we have our precedent to not pay SUU.
I doubt we are going to get a dime from Washington.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » August 6th, 2020, 11:55 am

ProvoAggie wrote:

I read somewhere else that there is no known start date for fall camp :headscratch:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » August 6th, 2020, 11:56 am

aggies22 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 6th, 2020, 12:12 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 11:56 am
aggies22 wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:
Nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like we’ve got our precedent then.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 6th, 2020, 12:14 pm

ViAggie wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 11:55 am
ProvoAggie wrote:

I read somewhere else that there is no known start date for fall camp :headscratch:
The start date is now known.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » August 6th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Seems like this college football season is a scheduling free for all. Are all of the game contracts just ripped up and ignored? No penalties for breaking contracts and agreements?

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » August 6th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Not happy that it'll be our first game and byu-p will have played at least one game (Navy) and potentially a few more to get the kinks out. Guess that gives a chance to get a good look at them before we kick their asses.

Go Aggies!

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » August 6th, 2020, 1:02 pm

I’m hoping we elect to schedule another home game for Sept 26th and not reschedule SUU for later in the season as I hate to wait until October 10th to play our first home game.

I see Idaho has an open date on the 26th. I wouldn’t mind playing them or another regional FCS team. I also wouldn’t mind setting up a home and home with another G5. AAC, CUSA, and Sunbelt are all allowing their members up to 4 non-conference games. MAC is allowing 1. I’d think we should be able to hook up with another G5 opponent to host them on Sept 26th then have a return game in 2024.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » August 6th, 2020, 1:30 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 1:02 pm
I’m hoping we elect to schedule another home game for Sept 26th and not reschedule SUU for later in the season as I hate to wait until October 10th to play our first home game.

I see Idaho has an open date on the 26th. I wouldn’t mind playing them or another regional FCS team. I also wouldn’t mind setting up a home and home with another G5. AAC, CUSA, and Sunbelt are all allowing their members up to 4 non-conference games. MAC is allowing 1. I’d think we should be able to hook up with another G5 opponent to host them on Sept 26th then have a return game in 2024.
I wonder who would agree to do a home and home in that setting considering a home game this year probably means no fans.
I don't know that many people are going to be that motivated to travel this year or can really afford to do so.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » August 6th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 1:30 pm
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 1:02 pm

I wonder who would agree to do a home and home in that setting considering a home game this year probably means no fans.
I don't know that many people are going to be that motivated to travel this year or can really afford to do so.
Might have to arrange it as a 2-for-1 or offer travel expenses for the return trip or something.

TrueBlueAggie123

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » August 6th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Looks like we’ll have to find a replacement for SUU for sure now.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » August 6th, 2020, 2:08 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Did we officially cancel on SUU or is SUU cancelling on us? Wondering if it matters for payouts. We won't ask them for money but wondering if we are safe from them asking us for the fee.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » August 6th, 2020, 2:11 pm

TrueBlueAggie123 wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 2:06 pm

I think we should fill it with a Big 12 game just to annoy those misguided friends and family that cheer for the school in provo. Like brothers do.

Go Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic