Depth chart predictions

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by slcagg » August 2nd, 2020, 8:56 am

USU78 wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 5:27 pm
Stucki wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 9:57 am
The Mika, Haws, Emery, Toolson, Shumway team was by far the better Lone Peak and probably the best team ever in the state.
That's a good argument.

Who did they beat in national competition is, imnsho, a better one.
Both sound like very good teams.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » August 2nd, 2020, 9:21 am

slcagg wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 8:56 am
USU78 wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 5:27 pm
Stucki wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 9:57 am
The Mika, Haws, Emery, Toolson, Shumway team was by far the better Lone Peak and probably the best team ever in the state.
That's a good argument.

Who did they beat in national competition is, imnsho, a better one.
Both sound like very good teams.
Oh my, yes.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » August 2nd, 2020, 10:38 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:51 am
I'm hearing that there is no way Ashworth redshirts. I think Ashworth will prove to be VERY slept on. Coming out of high school in his senior year, USA Today named an All-Utah team. It consisted of current Utah players Rylan Jones (also, Player of the Year) and Matt Van Kommen, Matt Bradley who went to California, James Nelson who ended up at Dixie State and Steven Ashworth. That's not horrible company.
Is Steven Ashworth REALLY 6'1" tall as listed on the roster? From what I've heard he's more like 5'10". Honestly, I have :noidea: , but then again Porter was listed as 6'3" and I'm 6'1" (without shoes) and taller than Porter.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » August 2nd, 2020, 11:21 am

In some circles where it is spoken of in hushed tones; Size Matters. But it is not true in every case. If this kid has game he is tall enough.

Speaking of short basketball players, Jazz Johnson, who is probably around 5'8 or 9 just signed a very nice contract for a team in the top league in Italy. While most here probably aren't all that interested it is a pretty cool thing to me.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 5):
USU78slcaggBank Shotaggies22Real Life Aggie

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » August 2nd, 2020, 11:26 am

nvspuds wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 11:21 am
In some circles where it is spoken of in hushed tones; Size Matters. But it is not true in every case. If this kid has game he is tall enough.

Speaking of short basketball players, Jazz Johnson, who is probably around 5'8 or 9 just signed a very nice contract for a team in the top league in Italy. While most here probably aren't all that interested it is a pretty cool thing to me.
Good for Jazz, I always liked how he played. Lots of great Aggies have made a really good living in foreign basketball leagues, I hope he does the same.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
aggies22

Go Aggies!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 2nd, 2020, 11:27 am

nvspuds wrote:

Congrats. Jazz seemed like a good kid and rep for the program.

Btw nv really appreciate your input on this board. Great to hear about your program as well.

Any news as far as filling the last spot (I believe you had an open spot).

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » August 2nd, 2020, 11:38 am

2004AG wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 8:54 am
USU78 wrote:Ashworth was the best player on just possibly the best team Utah ever produced.

If not this season, then next. Kid is gonna be something.

I hope it's this season, if not right off, then at least by mid year.
The best team Utah has ever produced ??

I live in Lone Peak boundaries, and watched a ton of his games. The team wasn’t even that good. A better way to look at It would be he led a mediocre team to the state championship.

I know I’m not a talent evaluator, but I’m a little surprised at his hype he’s getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree but I've only seen highlight videos. From the highlight videos that I've seen of Ashworth he looks very skilled offensively (great shooter, quick release, great handles, good passer). However, I'm afraid that he may be a liability on the defensive side due to his lack of size and strength. I can't imagine him guarding most MWC PGs. I would love to see Ashworth and Worster compete against each other in practices. I think that will tell a lot.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » August 2nd, 2020, 11:42 am

I don't know if he's grown since HS, but I would imagine he's bulked up a bit. Anyone seen him lately?

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » August 2nd, 2020, 11:44 am

nvspuds wrote:

I agree that height doesn't matter if you're an athletic freak like Jazz Johnson. Unfortunately right now that doesn't seem to be the case with Ashworth. Jazz doesn't have height but he has good size and strength.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » August 2nd, 2020, 11:57 am

slcagg wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 11:27 am
nvspuds wrote:

Btw nv really appreciate your input on this board. Great to hear about your program as well.

There are currently 12 guys under scholarship of which 11 are active. One transfer sitting out. At this time I don't believe Alford will add another player for this season. 5 true freshmen, 4 sophs, two juniors..Grant Sherfield, the transfer from Wichita State will be a soph next season.

There are no seniors on the roster..I believe Alford was at one point looking to add a grad transfer but he announced a while back that he had shifted his recruiting focus to 21 and 22. The Pack did recently receive a commitment from a big from LA named Nick Davidson. I have seen him listed as somewhere in the 6'8 to 6'10 range. He appears to be a similar player to Meeks.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 2nd, 2020, 12:04 pm

nvspuds wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 11:57 am
slcagg wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 11:27 am
nvspuds wrote:

There are currently 12 guys under scholarship of which 11 are active. One transfer sitting out. At this time I don't believe Alford will add another player for this season. 5 true freshmen, 4 sophs, two juniors..Grant Sherfield, the transfer from Wichita State will be a soph next season.

There are no seniors on the roster..I believe Alford was at one point looking to add a grad transfer but he announced a while back that he had shifted his recruiting focus to 21 and 22. The Pack did recently receive a commitment from a big from LA named Nick Davidson. I have seen him listed as somewhere in the 6'8 to 6'10 range. He appears to be a similar player to Meeks.
Solid interest for the kid. Legacy kid it appears.

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporte ... acy-player

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » August 2nd, 2020, 12:14 pm

I remember watching his dad play..

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 2nd, 2020, 12:29 pm

nvspuds wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 12:14 pm
I remember watching his dad play..
Hopefully that doesn’t make you feel old.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » August 2nd, 2020, 12:42 pm

Being 65 makes me feel old..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 4):
USU78BLUERUFiOslcaggReal Life Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 2nd, 2020, 1:40 pm

nvspuds wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 12:42 pm
Being 65 makes me feel old..
Haha. Still got some youth in ya!

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » August 2nd, 2020, 1:54 pm

Young at heart and occasionally childish..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
slcagg

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » August 2nd, 2020, 2:01 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 10:38 am

Is Steven Ashworth REALLY 6'1" tall as listed on the roster? From what I've heard he's more like 5'10". Honestly, I have :noidea: , but then again Porter was listed as 6'3" and I'm 6'1" (without shoes) and taller than Porter.
I'm a bit over 6'3" and let me tell you I've had people tell me they 6'5" that are not taller than me. Brock Miller is not 6'5" as he is listed. As a general rule I subtract 2 inches form basketball players listed height. Gary Payton was supposed to be 6'4" and I stood next to him and there was no way he was that tall. Porter is not 6'3".

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » August 3rd, 2020, 12:41 am

Speaking of depth (or, perhaps breadth), I watched our game at Fresno last season this evening. While watching, Anderson was bringing the ball down the court and breaking pressure easily. I wondered, "Is Anderson our most versatile player?"

He plays post when we go small. He can shoot from beyond the arc. He handles the ball well. He shoots well from the charity stripe, and does well on rebounds. If he had his pick of positions, I'm not sure where he would end up, but he's played all over the court for Coach Smith and I want to see him getting more minutes his senior year.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 4):
slcaggAggiePTaggies22WillCut72

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 3rd, 2020, 6:11 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 12:41 am
Speaking of depth (or, perhaps breadth), I watched our game at Fresno last season this evening. While watching, Anderson was bringing the ball down the court and breaking pressure easily. I wondered, "Is Anderson our most versatile player?"

He plays post when we go small. He can shoot from beyond the arc. He handles the ball well. He shoots well from the charity stripe, and does well on rebounds. If he had his pick of positions, I'm not sure where he would end up, but he's played all over the court for Coach Smith and I want to see him getting more minutes his senior year.
Very well said! Couldn’t agree more about his skill and versatility. I think he could play the 3 or 4 this year for us. I believe he fits better for this team as a 3 than Justin. You want Use Justin’s rebounding skills as much as possible.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » August 3rd, 2020, 6:38 am

slcagg wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 6:11 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:

Very well said! Couldn’t agree more about his skill and versatility. I think he could play the 3 or 4 this year for us. I believe he fits better for this team as a 3 than Justin. You want Use Justin’s rebounding skills as much as possible.
Offensively, Anderson would be great at the 3, but I'm not sure he has the lateral quickness to stay in front of MW wings. Not saying that's the ideal role for Bean either, but Bean has a much better chance defensively at the 3 if they are both going to share the court with Queta.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 3rd, 2020, 7:13 am

MarioWest wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 6:38 am
slcagg wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 6:11 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:

Offensively, Anderson would be great at the 3, but I'm not sure he has the lateral quickness to stay in front of MW wings. Not saying that's the ideal role for Bean either, but Bean has a much better chance defensively at the 3 if they are both going to share the court with Queta.
You could very well right on that. He did essentially guard Schackel vs SDSU and did fine. But schackel was like the 4th option on offense.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » August 3rd, 2020, 7:29 am

elcheque2 wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 10:57 pm
elcheque2 wrote:1. Ashworth(20), Bairstow(15), Anthony(5)
2. Anthony(30), Bairstow(10)
3. Miller(20), Anderson(10), Mcchesney(10)
4. Bean(25), Anderson(15)
5. Queta(25), Karwowski(15)

Before you mock me for putting Ashworth in the starting line up, recall that Smith started Ainge for half a season when Ainge had no business even sniffing the floor. The difference between Ainge and Ashworth is pretty stark though. If Ashworth ends up redshirting then swap him out for Shulga.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Hate to toot my own flute, but...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
LOL. What are you tooting about and why now?

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » August 3rd, 2020, 12:59 pm

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 10:05 am
slcagg wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:42 am
I am an Aggie Man wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 9:33 am
I didn't see anyone post this, but Jon Rothstein did a MW power rankings/depth chart prediction a few days ago which is relevant here. This is the lineup he predicted for us.

G - Anthony
G - Miller
F - Anderson
F - Bean
C - Queta

He also gave a projected bench which I'm guessing is supposed to be in order of who gets more playing time. Here's the order he put them in: Zapala, Worster, Shulga, Bairstow, Dorius, McChesney, Ashworth, Vedischev.
Thanks for sharing. Can you share it?
Here's the link

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php ... breakdown/
From this article: "The Skinny: Many coaches in the Mountain West believe that the Cowboys are a potential sleeper."

I agree! I mean, they're returning Marble, Foster, Thompson, and Maldonado. Plus, they have a new coach. There's a lot of talent on returning members of the team. I don't recall much about Mueller, who got injured. And with incoming transfers, the article indicates that they've got 3 JuCo guys coming in. They should be looking more like that tourney team we saw in March. I know Marble and Maldonado have the most expectations (understandably), but I'm also really big on Foster. He was excellent against us in the tourney, and made it look easy. Those three guards are all great.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » August 3rd, 2020, 1:20 pm

Even though they have lost Carvacho, I think CSU is the real sleeper.

GUS

Post by GUS » August 3rd, 2020, 2:29 pm

I agree nvspuds, after Carvacho the rest of the team was young last year. They made a few youth mistakes, but should be much better this year. I like their coach. There should be more than one team into March Madness when you look at SDSU, NM, CSU, USU, Nevada, Wyoming and possibly FSU or UNLV. Should be a good conference race this year.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » August 3rd, 2020, 3:36 pm

I see next year as wide open. I hope a team or two can separate themselves from the pack. I don’t think it will bode well for the conference to have a bunch of teams with 5 or more conference losses all in the hunt for the conference regular season as the season winds down. Especially if there aren’t any non conference games or limited non conference games. The MWC would be relegated to a one bid league without enough non conference to strengthen the conference resume.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 4th, 2020, 10:43 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:

I think Fonzo is a very good player and was very underused last season.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Aggie in Boise

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 4th, 2020, 11:18 am

Some people may want to revise their depth chart predictions after seeing this. It looks like Fonso may be getting some minutes at Guard. I also wanted to highlight that last season Brock Miller got a lot minutes as a wing and I can't verify this, but watching the MWC tournament with my naked eye it appears to me Fonso as much quickness in guarding out on the perimeter as Miller does.

These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » August 4th, 2020, 11:50 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 11:18 am
Some people may want to revise their depth chart predictions after seeing this. It looks like Fonso may be getting some minutes at Guard. I also wanted to highlight that last season Brock Miller got a lot minutes as a wing and I can't verify this, but watching the MWC tournament with my naked eye it appears to me Fonso as much quickness in guarding out on the perimeter as Miller does.
I rewatched the UNM game from the tournament, and Brock definitely lacked quickness in guarding those guys. I think Fonzo has a leg up on him there.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 4th, 2020, 12:11 pm

I remember Fonzo completely disappearing last season for games at a time. He'd have a great game, like BYU iirc, then it was like he was a non-factor for five games after that. Maybe he was underutilized, but he seemed streaky. I hope he can be more consistent, because he definitely has the potential to be an impact player every game.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

SLB

Post by SLB » August 4th, 2020, 12:14 pm

I am changing my lineup prediction on starters after this.
Anthony, Ashworth, Anderson, Bean, and Queta
Triple A combo at guard with insurance at the position and Bean and Cheese burrito as the bigs
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » August 4th, 2020, 12:32 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:11 pm
I remember Fonzo completely disappearing last season for games at a time. He'd have a great game, like BYU iirc, then it was like he was a non-factor for five games after that. Maybe he was underutilized, but he seemed streaky. I hope he can be more consistent, because he definitely has the potential to be an impact player every game.
I saw the same thing with Anderson disappearing for several games. I think it really took some time for Anderson and Bean to adjust their games when Queta returned to the lineup at full capacity. If you remember, Anderson had some great games in the early season against LSU and Florida. It seems that it was after Queta returned, that he (and Bean) were a little unsure of their role on offense. That was all figured out, for the most part, by the end of the season and conference tournament.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

Eutaw St. Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » August 4th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Yossarian wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:32 pm
I saw the same thing with Anderson disappearing for several games. I think it really took some time for Anderson and Bean to adjust their games when Queta returned to the lineup at full capacity. If you remember, Anderson had some great games in the early season against LSU and Florida. It seems that it was after Queta returned, that he (and Bean) were a little unsure of their role on offense. That was all figured out, for the most part, by the end of the season and conference tournament.
Yeah, I agree with this. Speaking of Fonzo directly, it seemed less like he was streaky, and more like he was kept out of games. I recall hearing he wasn't running on full cylinders after Jamaica because he got sick. But, he also came in for Queta throughout the season once Queta returned. I'm still a bit confused as to why, because we had two 7-footers, both of whom seemed to play well when they were in. Did we purposely want to switch it up and play more small ball? Were Kuba and Dorius believed not to be good enough or clutch enough? While Anderson could clearly keep the game going in the low post, it really seems like it pulled him out of where he would like his game to be.

I trust Coach Smith, of course. He knows much better than I do, and his coaching work has been excellent. Just... things I don't understand.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 4th, 2020, 2:19 pm

There were 12 games last season where Fonzo played 15 minutes or less, this includes a stretch where he played 7 or fewer minutes in 3 of 4 games and those were games very late in the season. He undeniably had a HUGE impact in the Championship Game, yet he still only played 16 minutes in that one. My vote is underutilization.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
Real Life Aggieflying_scotsman2.0WillCut72AggiePT

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 4th, 2020, 5:05 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 2:19 pm
There were 12 games last season where Fonzo played 15 minutes or less, this includes a stretch where he played 7 or fewer minutes in 3 of 4 games and those were games very late in the season. He undeniably had a HUGE impact in the Championship Game, yet he still only played 16 minutes in that one. My vote is underutilization.
Real Life Aggie wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:50 pm
Yossarian wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Yeah, I agree with this. Speaking of Fonzo directly, it seemed less like he was streaky, and more like he was kept out of games. I recall hearing he wasn't running on full cylinders after Jamaica because he got sick. But, he also came in for Queta throughout the season once Queta returned. I'm still a bit confused as to why, because we had two 7-footers, both of whom seemed to play well when they were in. Did we purposely want to switch it up and play more small ball? Were Kuba and Dorius believed not to be good enough or clutch enough? While Anderson could clearly keep the game going in the low post, it really seems like it pulled him out of where he would like his game to be.

I trust Coach Smith, of course. He knows much better than I do, and his coaching work has been excellent. Just... things I don't understand.
both of these^^^

I said it multiple times last season. My view from the stands was that Anderson was not treated the same as the other players. He had a short leash (almost Stew like responses) when he made a mistake and even after he proved how valuable he was in big games early in the season he seemed like he was being passed over and underutilized later in the season. We kept hearing about how he was not all the way healthy and stuff after Jamaica but....? Then when it was all on the line again late in the season, the coaches again relied on him to play a big role and deliver which he did. Pretty odd to say the least.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic