Colombi Transferring

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2964 times
Contact:

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by aggies22 » July 17th, 2020, 12:07 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 11:26 am
I have never know of a Head coach telling a player you will be my starter next season. First of all there is no reason to tell anyone that. Second I have never known of a player asking that question.

Every transfer we bring in has the chance to beat out a kid already in the program. Henry will have a chance to beat out someone that has been in the program when a he lands at another school.

Marcus Moore could beat out a kid already on the team, how is that any different that what Henry faced ?
So, you don't think that Jordan Love didn't enter the 2019 season assuming he would be the starter? How about Dom Eberle? Nick Heninger didn't come in and put Tipa Galeai on the bench.

Honestly, I don't get how you don't understand that there is only one QB on the field at a time and it's important for that spot to have a starter named as early as possible. It's a position of leadership. Every other kid on the offense looks to the QB for guidance, reassurance, and strength. Every other position on the team has at least two spots on the field at the same time unless you are the long snapper, kicker or the punter.

If you want to bring Marcus Moore up, Marcus was brought in at a position of NEED. We lost 4 or 5 defensive linemen following the 2019 season. ALSO, Marcus was brought in 6 MONTHS ago NOT 2 weeks before fall camp is scheduled to start the first week of August. Had Jason Shelley been brought in for spring ball, or hell, even at the beginning of the summer like most transfers, I don't believe that there would have been nearly as much of an uproar. Henry will be fine, Jason will be fine. Just admit that the timing of the move was jacked up and we'll all move on.
Last edited by aggies22 on July 17th, 2020, 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 6):
Roy McAvoy3rdGenAggieFloridaAggie13Intermeddleraggieguy13Chod



Machismo
Posts: 3904
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:10 pm
Location: Providence ,Utah
Has thanked: 446 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by Machismo » July 17th, 2020, 12:18 pm

sammyhagar wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 9:10 am
slcagg wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 3:43 pm
ususports wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 3:38 pm
taniataylor wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 3:29 pm
thegreendalegelf wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 3:28 pm
Yossarian wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 12:36 pm
aggieman2828 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm
If Shelley was as good a QB as some seem to think, he would still be a QB at Utah.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Utah is better than us. There, I said it.
Furthermore, Kyle has a history of moving his best athletes to Defense.
I wouldn't say Utah's QBs have been better than ours.
Outside of healthy Chuckie and 2018 Jordan, I think they have. They also have a much deeper QB room. They also brought in two QBs that we would give our left nut for.
I would never give my left nut for a QB..... :lol:
Being a man of integrity, I save both of my nuts exclusively for my wife. However, if I were to give one up, I think I would have to go with the right.
I’m sure your wife would be fine with you donating one of them.
Trust me, my ex-wife go both of mine , pretty sure of that
Reminds me of this song.



"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 14542
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 253 times
Been thanked: 578 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by brownjeans » July 17th, 2020, 12:31 pm

Donman wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 3:59 pm
I think the majority would have been deeply disappointed if we had a chance to get a P5 QB and passed.
I have a hard time getting excited about the backup QB on the 69th best passing offense and that 69th position was probably the best finish that team has had in years. And that team didn't think that QB had a future at the position. The UofU passing offense is objectively unimpressive regardless of the "P5" designation.
UofU has a history of ruining QBs, hamstringing their offense, and treating OCs like Salem treated women who behaved oddly. I can't imagine why a good QB or WR would choose to play football there. USU's QB handling this summer seems scripted from the UofU playbook.
I'm concerned that USU is following the UofU model when it comes to the passing game - and without the UofU defense.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 4):
FloridaAggie13Roy McAvoyaggies22aggieguy13



Madmartigan
Posts: 2730
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 226 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by Madmartigan » July 17th, 2020, 1:08 pm

brownjeans wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 12:31 pm
Donman wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 3:59 pm
I think the majority would have been deeply disappointed if we had a chance to get a P5 QB and passed.
I have a hard time getting excited about the backup QB on the 69th best passing offense and that 69th position was probably the best finish that team has had in years. And that team didn't think that QB had a future at the position. The UofU passing offense is objectively unimpressive regardless of the "P5" designation.
UofU has a history of ruining QBs, hamstringing their offense, and treating OCs like Salem treated women who behaved oddly. I can't imagine why a good QB or WR would choose to play football there. USU's QB handling this summer seems scripted from the UofU playbook.
I'm concerned that USU is following the UofU model when it comes to the passing game - and without the UofU defense.
And yet, we got two very good pass catchers from said 69th best passing offense last year.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
aggies22Sl7vk



Pimpi25p
Posts: 1
Joined: June 18th, 2020, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by Pimpi25p » July 17th, 2020, 1:15 pm

jpswensen wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:33 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:13 pm



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shots taken at Gary
The other thing is that Coach Colombi seems well connected in his neck of the woods. He could have been an incredible recruiting asset for years to come. Bridge burned, it appears.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I definitely agree he had already tried to send one of his boys a cb who was getting offers from power 5 schools and gary wasn't having it I think he doesn't want connections that matt helped set up



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2964 times
Contact:

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by aggies22 » July 17th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Pimpi25p wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 1:15 pm
jpswensen wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:33 pm
AggieUprising50 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 5:13 pm



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shots taken at Gary
The other thing is that Coach Colombi seems well connected in his neck of the woods. He could have been an incredible recruiting asset for years to come. Bridge burned, it appears.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I definitely agree he had already tried to send one of his boys a cb who was getting offers from power 5 schools and gary wasn't having it I think he doesn't want connections that matt helped set up
Matt didn't recruit Florida very well the last few years of his tenure either. I'm not sure yet if gaining Coach Roc will help offset the influence that Coach Colombi held.



oleblu111
Posts: 1620
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 678 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by oleblu111 » July 17th, 2020, 1:39 pm

aggies22 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 12:07 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 11:26 am
I have never know of a Head coach telling a player you will be my starter next season. First of all there is no reason to tell anyone that. Second I have never known of a player asking that question.

Every transfer we bring in has the chance to beat out a kid already in the program. Henry will have a chance to beat out someone that has been in the program when a he lands at another school.

Marcus Moore could beat out a kid already on the team, how is that any different that what Henry faced ?
So, you don't think that Jordan Love didn't enter the 2019 season assuming he would be the starter? How about Dom Eberle? Nick Heninger didn't come in and put Tipa Galeai on the bench.

Honestly, I don't get how you don't understand that there is only one QB on the field at a time and it's important for that spot to have a starter named as early as possible. It's a position of leadership. Every other kid on the offense looks to the QB for guidance, reassurance, and strength. Every other position on the team has at least two spots on the field at the same time unless you are the long snapper, kicker or the punter.

If you want to bring Marcus Moore up, Marcus was brought in at a position of NEED. We lost 4 or 5 defensive linemen following the 2019 season. ALSO, Marcus was brought in 6 MONTHS ago NOT 2 weeks before fall camp is scheduled to start the first week of August. Had Jason Shelley been brought in for spring ball, or hell, even at the beginning of the summer like most transfers, I don't believe that there would have been nearly as much of an uproar. Henry will be fine, Jason will be fine. Just admit that the timing of the move was jacked up and we'll all move on.
[/quote

Assuming you will be the starter, and being told or guaranteed that you are is 2 different things.

I believe that there is only one center on the line on offense, maybe one Nose guard also.

G.A. would have been insane to not bring Shelley to USU

People on this board assume that Henry is or was a great Q.B. that is not a given. He never was put into a game doing anything but mop up duty.

The timing is what it is if he was able to come in earlier the results would most likely be the same, meaning that H.C. would have left.

I'm going to go up to a practice this season, and if you would like we can have a conversation which might fun for both of us.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2964 times
Contact:

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by aggies22 » July 17th, 2020, 2:00 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 1:39 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 12:07 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 11:26 am
I have never know of a Head coach telling a player you will be my starter next season. First of all there is no reason to tell anyone that. Second I have never known of a player asking that question.

Every transfer we bring in has the chance to beat out a kid already in the program. Henry will have a chance to beat out someone that has been in the program when a he lands at another school.

Marcus Moore could beat out a kid already on the team, how is that any different that what Henry faced ?
So, you don't think that Jordan Love didn't enter the 2019 season assuming he would be the starter? How about Dom Eberle? Nick Heninger didn't come in and put Tipa Galeai on the bench.

Honestly, I don't get how you don't understand that there is only one QB on the field at a time and it's important for that spot to have a starter named as early as possible. It's a position of leadership. Every other kid on the offense looks to the QB for guidance, reassurance, and strength. Every other position on the team has at least two spots on the field at the same time unless you are the long snapper, kicker or the punter.

If you want to bring Marcus Moore up, Marcus was brought in at a position of NEED. We lost 4 or 5 defensive linemen following the 2019 season. ALSO, Marcus was brought in 6 MONTHS ago NOT 2 weeks before fall camp is scheduled to start the first week of August. Had Jason Shelley been brought in for spring ball, or hell, even at the beginning of the summer like most transfers, I don't believe that there would have been nearly as much of an uproar. Henry will be fine, Jason will be fine. Just admit that the timing of the move was jacked up and we'll all move on.
[/quote

Assuming you will be the starter, and being told or guaranteed that you are is 2 different things.

I believe that there is only one center on the line on offense, maybe one Nose guard also.

G.A. would have been insane to not bring Shelley to USU

People on this board assume that Henry is or was a great Q.B. that is not a given. He never was put into a game doing anything but mop up duty.

The timing is what it is if he was able to come in earlier the results would most likely be the same, meaning that H.C. would have left.

I'm going to go up to a practice this season, and if you would like we can have a conversation which might fun for both of us.
As several if our fellow board members know, I'm always game to have good conversation. I'm not hard to find. I'm often the only dude sitting on the east side and typically my wife and 5 year old are with me.



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5318
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 451 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by Aglicious » July 17th, 2020, 2:32 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 1:39 pm
aggies22 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 12:07 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 11:26 am
I have never know of a Head coach telling a player you will be my starter next season. First of all there is no reason to tell anyone that. Second I have never known of a player asking that question.

Every transfer we bring in has the chance to beat out a kid already in the program. Henry will have a chance to beat out someone that has been in the program when a he lands at another school.

Marcus Moore could beat out a kid already on the team, how is that any different that what Henry faced ?
So, you don't think that Jordan Love didn't enter the 2019 season assuming he would be the starter? How about Dom Eberle? Nick Heninger didn't come in and put Tipa Galeai on the bench.

Honestly, I don't get how you don't understand that there is only one QB on the field at a time and it's important for that spot to have a starter named as early as possible. It's a position of leadership. Every other kid on the offense looks to the QB for guidance, reassurance, and strength. Every other position on the team has at least two spots on the field at the same time unless you are the long snapper, kicker or the punter.

If you want to bring Marcus Moore up, Marcus was brought in at a position of NEED. We lost 4 or 5 defensive linemen following the 2019 season. ALSO, Marcus was brought in 6 MONTHS ago NOT 2 weeks before fall camp is scheduled to start the first week of August. Had Jason Shelley been brought in for spring ball, or hell, even at the beginning of the summer like most transfers, I don't believe that there would have been nearly as much of an uproar. Henry will be fine, Jason will be fine. Just admit that the timing of the move was jacked up and we'll all move on.
Assuming you will be the starter, and being told or guaranteed that you are is 2 different things.

I believe that there is only one center on the line on offense, maybe one Nose guard also.

G.A. would have been insane to not bring Shelley to USU

People on this board assume that Henry is or was a great Q.B. that is not a given. He never was put into a game doing anything but mop up duty.

The timing is what it is if he was able to come in earlier the results would most likely be the same, meaning that H.C. would have left.

I'm going to go up to a practice this season, and if you would like we can have a conversation which might fun for both of us.
Coach A went on the radio after Spring ball and said that Colombi was "head and shoulders" above everyone else and that the coaches noticed that the other QBs were rather shocked at just how much further ahead Henry was than eveyone else. I would say that is a ringing endorsement of the kid's position relative to the competition.

Why do you think GA would have been "insane" not to bring in Shelley? His numbers don't demand such statements. His film doesn't show he is more skilled than HC and I would argue it shows he is less talented. Is it just that P5 label? If HC ends up at a P5 they will have switched positions...will you then argue that HC is better and tell us how horrible it is that we lost a P5 QB?
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
aggies22



JonnyCienPesos
Posts: 2331
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 154 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by JonnyCienPesos » July 17th, 2020, 2:52 pm

AgMac wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Coach A went on the radio after Spring ball and said that Colombi was "head and shoulders" above everyone else and that the coaches noticed that the other QBs were rather shocked at just how much further ahead Henry was than eveyone else. I would say that is a ringing endorsement of the kid's position relative to the competition.

Why do you think GA would have been "insane" not to bring in Shelley? His numbers don't demand such statements. His film doesn't show he is more skilled than HC and I would argue it shows he is less talented. Is it just that P5 label? If HC ends up at a P5 they will have switched positions...will you then argue that HC is better and tell us how horrible it is that we lost a P5 QB?
So, GA went on record saying we had one stand out QB and the rest were VERY far behind him - shockingly so. And we're outraged that GA wanted to bring another decent QB in the stable? Yeah, that GA is a complete conniving douchebag.
Oh boy. Nobody is upset that another QB was brought in. They just aren’t happy with how and when it was done. I thought that was pretty clear but apparently not.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
aggies22


I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2752
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by AgMac » July 17th, 2020, 2:55 pm

So, GA went on record saying we had one stand out QB and the rest were VERY far behind him - shockingly so. And we're outraged that GA wanted to bring another decent QB in the stable? Yeah, that GA is a complete conniving douchebag.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 2):
oleblu111AGinNEIowa



User avatar
AgMac
Posts: 2752
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:29 am
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 223 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by AgMac » July 17th, 2020, 3:06 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 2:52 pm
AgMac wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Coach A went on the radio after Spring ball and said that Colombi was "head and shoulders" above everyone else and that the coaches noticed that the other QBs were rather shocked at just how much further ahead Henry was than eveyone else. I would say that is a ringing endorsement of the kid's position relative to the competition.

Why do you think GA would have been "insane" not to bring in Shelley? His numbers don't demand such statements. His film doesn't show he is more skilled than HC and I would argue it shows he is less talented. Is it just that P5 label? If HC ends up at a P5 they will have switched positions...will you then argue that HC is better and tell us how horrible it is that we lost a P5 QB?
So, GA went on record saying we had one stand out QB and the rest were VERY far behind him - shockingly so. And we're outraged that GA wanted to bring another decent QB in the stable? Yeah, that GA is a complete conniving douchebag.
Oh boy. Nobody is upset that another QB was brought in. They just aren’t happy with how and when it was done. I thought that was pretty clear but apparently not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The "how it went down," as exemplified by Aglicious, was that GA gave a ringing endorsement to HC, only to pull the rug out from under him by bringing in another QB. I'm simply pointing out other interpretations of the "ringing endorsement." Given GA's spring ball statement, bringing in another QB (whenever that came along) shouldn't have been a surprise at all.

Aglicious' post answers the question presented therein. Why would it have been insane not to bring Shelley in? Because, we had one good QB and several other guys who were REALLY far behind him.
These users thanked the author AgMac for the post (total 3):
Sl7vkoleblu111BLUERUFiO



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6395
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by 2004AG » July 17th, 2020, 5:07 pm

AgMac wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 2:52 pm
AgMac wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Coach A went on the radio after Spring ball and said that Colombi was "head and shoulders" above everyone else and that the coaches noticed that the other QBs were rather shocked at just how much further ahead Henry was than eveyone else. I would say that is a ringing endorsement of the kid's position relative to the competition.

Why do you think GA would have been "insane" not to bring in Shelley? His numbers don't demand such statements. His film doesn't show he is more skilled than HC and I would argue it shows he is less talented. Is it just that P5 label? If HC ends up at a P5 they will have switched positions...will you then argue that HC is better and tell us how horrible it is that we lost a P5 QB?
So, GA went on record saying we had one stand out QB and the rest were VERY far behind him - shockingly so. And we're outraged that GA wanted to bring another decent QB in the stable? Yeah, that GA is a complete conniving douchebag.
Oh boy. Nobody is upset that another QB was brought in. They just aren’t happy with how and when it was done. I thought that was pretty clear but apparently not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The "how it went down," as exemplified by Aglicious, was that GA gave a ringing endorsement to HC, only to pull the rug out from under him by bringing in another QB. I'm simply pointing out other interpretations of the "ringing endorsement." Given GA's spring ball statement, bringing in another QB (whenever that came along) shouldn't have been a surprise at all.

Aglicious' post answers the question presented therein. Why would it have been insane not to bring Shelley in? Because, we had one good QB and several other guys who were REALLY far behind him.
I don’t know if that’s entirely true. Reports indicate that GA really likes Peasley and his first call after getting the job was Legas.

You can look at it two ways: 1) HC is just phenomenal and just blew the other two out of the water but it says more about HC than the other two. 2) or the other two just suck.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2720
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 317 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 17th, 2020, 6:34 pm

This comes across almost as desperation like a coach on the hot seat throwing up a hail mary to save his job. Which is weird since Gary obviously isn't close to that situation and will get plenty of time at USU. Which means Gary had very little faith in Colombi. Gary has seen a lot of Colombi since retaking the job 19 months ago. He had to know this move would result in a transfer which means he really didn't have much faith that Colombi was the guy moving forward.

Hope it is the right move.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
oleblu111



User avatar
Socrates2121
Posts: 1679
Joined: September 29th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by Socrates2121 » July 17th, 2020, 11:50 pm

I hope he ends up at Kentucky.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Bulls On Parade

User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 958
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by El Sapo » July 19th, 2020, 8:10 am

Reminds me of how upset I was when Kobe left the BB team. That was a learning moment for me because it turned out fine. I wish HC hadn't left, but, our goal should be to recruit the best players, and let them compete openly for their positions. Best player plays. In that perspective GA seems OK.

Now I'm going to say something crazy. I thought HC could have been a better QB for us than Love. Early last season it was clear to me that Love was disengaged. Pick your reason, but you can't deny he made a ton of mistakes. The arm talent was there but his head wasn't and that cost us games. I'm ready for a change and I was all in with Henry.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post (total 2):
USU78oleblu111


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2964 times
Contact:

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by aggies22 » July 19th, 2020, 8:17 am

Socrates2121 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 11:50 pm
I hope he ends up at Kentucky.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jovon Bouknight recruited Henry Colombi to Utah State. Jovon is now the wide receivers coach at Kentucky.



Blue Sage
Posts: 528
Joined: January 28th, 2015, 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by Blue Sage » July 19th, 2020, 8:51 am

Typically competitors don’t shy away from competition so it’s odd to me HC just up and quit. To quit suddenly one is forced to ask did HC believe in himself or did he harbor self doubt. Look, I like HC and looked forward to him spinning the ball. However if he doesn’t believe he is the best, we’ll let’s just say in the QB position that ain’t good. So I look forward to our new transfer and hope the best for the locker room. I’d love to hear an inside take at some point as to what precipitated this...



slcagg
Posts: 4943
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 744 times
Been thanked: 673 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by slcagg » July 19th, 2020, 8:53 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 8:17 am
Socrates2121 wrote:
July 17th, 2020, 11:50 pm
I hope he ends up at Kentucky.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jovon Bouknight recruited Henry Colombi to Utah State. Jovon is now the wide receivers coach at Kentucky.
Lexington would be a nice spot. Honestly you could always live somewhere worse...say Lubbock Texas.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2720
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 317 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 19th, 2020, 10:33 am

Blue Sage wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 8:51 am
Typically competitors don’t shy away from competition so it’s odd to me HC just up and quit. To quit suddenly one is forced to ask did HC believe in himself or did he harbor self doubt. Look, I like HC and looked forward to him spinning the ball. However if he doesn’t believe he is the best, we’ll let’s just say in the QB position that ain’t good. So I look forward to our new transfer and hope the best for the locker room. I’d love to hear an inside take at some point as to what precipitated this...
Comments like this just aren't reality for the modern day landscape of college football. Colombi was going into his 4th year at USU (including his redshirt year) and didn't want to spend his whole career as a backup. He has the opposite of self doubt. He believes he can play and wants to go somewhere where he can. By the same token you could say Shelley "harbors self doubt" by not sticking with it at Utah. Or how about the numerous other players that have come into USU from other schools.

Last year in the college football playoff, 3/4 quarterbacks were told they wouldn't be the starters at other schools and transferred. Are you going to make the case Joe Burrows isn't a competitor because he didn't stay at Ohio State? I'm sure LSU didn't mind his "self doubt" as he was setting college football records and leading LSU to a perfect season and a national title. Oklahoma sure hasn't minded with their last 3 quarterbacks who led them to the playoff (2 of them winning the Heisman) had left other schools.

Reality is transferring is part of the game. We will have players come into our program from other schools and leave our program far more frequently than in previous generations. The key is having a coach that makes the right call with players coming and going. We'll see if this was the right call.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
2004AGbrownjeans



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2720
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 317 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 19th, 2020, 10:36 am

El Sapo wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 8:10 am
Reminds me of how upset I was when Kobe left the BB team. That was a learning moment for me because it turned out fine. I wish HC hadn't left, but, our goal should be to recruit the best players, and let them compete openly for their positions. Best player plays. In that perspective GA seems OK.

Now I'm going to say something crazy. I thought HC could have been a better QB for us than Love. Early last season it was clear to me that Love was disengaged. Pick your reason, but you can't deny he made a ton of mistakes. The arm talent was there but his head wasn't and that cost us games. I'm ready for a change and I was all in with Henry.
Yeah we won't know if this is the right decision until the games are played. If Colombi goes to another school and is great, it will look like the wrong decision. If Shelley comes in and is awesome, nobody will care about Colombi. I'm agnostic on this from a football perspective, but I believe the attacks against Colombi are unfair. Gary made a choice. He chose Shelley over Colombi. We'll now see if it was the right call.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
El Sapo



Blue Sage
Posts: 528
Joined: January 28th, 2015, 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by Blue Sage » July 19th, 2020, 11:13 am

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 10:33 am
Blue Sage wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 8:51 am
Typically competitors don’t shy away from competition so it’s odd to me HC just up and quit. To quit suddenly one is forced to ask did HC believe in himself or did he harbor self doubt. Look, I like HC and looked forward to him spinning the ball. However if he doesn’t believe he is the best, we’ll let’s just say in the QB position that ain’t good. So I look forward to our new transfer and hope the best for the locker room. I’d love to hear an inside take at some point as to what precipitated this...
Comments like this just aren't reality for the modern day landscape of college football. Colombi was going into his 4th year at USU (including his redshirt year) and didn't want to spend his whole career as a backup. He has the opposite of self doubt. He believes he can play and wants to go somewhere where he can. By the same token you could say Shelley "harbors self doubt" by not sticking with it at Utah. Or how about the numerous other players that have come into USU from other schools.

Last year in the college football playoff, 3/4 quarterbacks were told they wouldn't be the starters at other schools and transferred. Are you going to make the case Joe Burrows isn't a competitor because he didn't stay at Ohio State? I'm sure LSU didn't mind his "self doubt" as he was setting college football records and leading LSU to a perfect season and a national title. Oklahoma sure hasn't minded with their last 3 quarterbacks who led them to the playoff (2 of them winning the Heisman) had left other schools.

Reality is transferring is part of the game. We will have players come into our program from other schools and leave our program far more frequently than in previous generations. The key is having a coach that makes the right call with players coming and going. We'll see if this was the right call.
Fair point, and you bring up a good point about Shelly at the same time. However from my “unrealistic” perspective I suppose I see Shelly / Burrows vs HC in a different way than you do. Columbi was the clear starter after spring with glowing reviews from all around including GA. I don’t think that was the case with Shelly or Burrows when they bolted. To me it’s odd that USU brings in an obvious back up for Columbi and he immediately bolts. Maybe not self doubt, maybe something else entirely different. I have no idea and am only left to speculate. In any case it’s very odd to me. You like to see the guy in “pole position” at least take a shot rather than abandon the challenge entirely. It’s weird right!
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
oleblu111



sockpuppet
Posts: 1216
Joined: January 10th, 2012, 7:49 am
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by sockpuppet » July 19th, 2020, 11:57 am

At this point, I'll take Shelley who wants to be an Aggie over Colombi who does not.



oleblu111
Posts: 1620
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 678 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by oleblu111 » July 19th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 11:13 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 10:33 am
Blue Sage wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 8:51 am
Typically competitors don’t shy away from competition so it’s odd to me HC just up and quit. To quit suddenly one is forced to ask did HC believe in himself or did he harbor self doubt. Look, I like HC and looked forward to him spinning the ball. However if he doesn’t believe he is the best, we’ll let’s just say in the QB position that ain’t good. So I look forward to our new transfer and hope the best for the locker room. I’d love to hear an inside take at some point as to what precipitated this...
Comments like this just aren't reality for the modern day landscape of college football. Colombi was going into his 4th year at USU (including his redshirt year) and didn't want to spend his whole career as a backup. He has the opposite of self doubt. He believes he can play and wants to go somewhere where he can. By the same token you could say Shelley "harbors self doubt" by not sticking with it at Utah. Or how about the numerous other players that have come into USU from other schools.

Last year in the college football playoff, 3/4 quarterbacks were told they wouldn't be the starters at other schools and transferred. Are you going to make the case Joe Burrows isn't a competitor because he didn't stay at Ohio State? I'm sure LSU didn't mind his "self doubt" as he was setting college football records and leading LSU to a perfect season and a national title. Oklahoma sure hasn't minded with their last 3 quarterbacks who led them to the playoff (2 of them winning the Heisman) had left other schools.

Reality is transferring is part of the game. We will have players come into our program from other schools and leave our program far more frequently than in previous generations. The key is having a coach that makes the right call with players coming and going. We'll see if this was the right call.
Fair point, and you bring up a good point about Shelly at the same time. However from my “unrealistic” perspective I suppose I see Shelly / Burrows vs HC in a different way than you do. Columbi was the clear starter after spring with glowing reviews from all around including GA. I don’t think that was the case with Shelly or Burrows when they bolted. To me it’s odd that USU brings in an obvious back up for Columbi and he immediately bolts. Maybe not self doubt, maybe something else entirely different. I have no idea and am only left to speculate. In any case it’s very odd to me. You like to see the guy in “pole position” at least take a shot rather than abandon the challenge entirely. It’s weird right!
H.C. and his dad most likely thought that Shelley was brought in as a potential starter, which is often the case with grad transfers. They must have felt that the die was cased and he would again be the back up again regardless of how he preformed. If that is the case the only person that would know that for sure is G.A. and he aint going to tell anyone, he will just use coach speak.

As far as who would have won the contest to become the starter this season I'm not as certain as what H.C. is. I wish he had stayed, but I have no hard feelings that he do not want to compete. The timing was tough, but understandable.

With a running quarterback injuries are very likely. H.C. becoming the starter, and be able to show what he could do with the game on the line was quite possible.

Honestly I do not blame H.C. or G.A. this is what happens in FBS football.



stang
Posts: 193
Joined: January 25th, 2018, 5:08 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by stang » July 19th, 2020, 12:19 pm

sockpuppet wrote:At this point, I'll take Shelley who wants to be an Aggie over Colombi who does not.
Well that’s good, because you don’t have a choice



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6395
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by 2004AG » July 19th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 8:51 am
Typically competitors don’t shy away from competition so it’s odd to me HC just up and quit. To quit suddenly one is forced to ask did HC believe in himself or did he harbor self doubt. Look, I like HC and looked forward to him spinning the ball. However if he doesn’t believe he is the best, we’ll let’s just say in the QB position that ain’t good. So I look forward to our new transfer and hope the best for the locker room. I’d love to hear an inside take at some point as to what precipitated this...
Would it be possible that HC thought/knew he was better than JS, but also at the same time thought/knew it wouldn't be a fair fight? That he thought/knew GA had pretty much promised JS the starting position? Is that possible? Do those things have to be mutually exclusive?

If you'll read the entire thread, people with inside connections like aggies22 and JCP have pretty much given us the inside take.



ususports
Posts: 1434
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 374 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by ususports » July 19th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 11:13 am
You like to see the guy in “pole position”
This is definitely something I never want to see.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
BLUERUFiONVAggie



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 8666
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 505 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by FloridaAggie13 » July 19th, 2020, 1:49 pm

sockpuppet wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 11:57 am
At this point, I'll take Shelley who wants to be an Aggie over Colombi who does not.
Shelly didn't come to USU because he wants to be an Aggie. Shelly wants to be a starting QB which is why he came to Logan.

He would have transferred to any number of schools that made the same promise.



oleblu111
Posts: 1620
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 678 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by oleblu111 » July 19th, 2020, 4:11 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 1:17 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 8:51 am
Typically competitors don’t shy away from competition so it’s odd to me HC just up and quit. To quit suddenly one is forced to ask did HC believe in himself or did he harbor self doubt. Look, I like HC and looked forward to him spinning the ball. However if he doesn’t believe he is the best, we’ll let’s just say in the QB position that ain’t good. So I look forward to our new transfer and hope the best for the locker room. I’d love to hear an inside take at some point as to what precipitated this...
Would it be possible that HC thought/knew he was better than JS, but also at the same time thought/knew it wouldn't be a fair fight? That he thought/knew GA had pretty much promised JS the starting position? Is that possible? Do those things have to be mutually exclusive?

If you'll read the entire thread, people with inside connections like aggies22 and JCP have pretty much given us the inside take.
So you people believe that J.S. was promised the starting job ?. Also people believe that the staff would start a inferior player. That is where I disagree. No promise was given, and no staff would knowingly start a inferior player.

H.C did not want to compete for the job, he may have thought the deck was stacked against him but Unlike all the knowledge on this board I'm not sure who is the best one.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2720
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 317 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 19th, 2020, 4:24 pm

Blue Sage wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 11:13 am
Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 10:33 am
Blue Sage wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 8:51 am
Typically competitors don’t shy away from competition so it’s odd to me HC just up and quit. To quit suddenly one is forced to ask did HC believe in himself or did he harbor self doubt. Look, I like HC and looked forward to him spinning the ball. However if he doesn’t believe he is the best, we’ll let’s just say in the QB position that ain’t good. So I look forward to our new transfer and hope the best for the locker room. I’d love to hear an inside take at some point as to what precipitated this...
Comments like this just aren't reality for the modern day landscape of college football. Colombi was going into his 4th year at USU (including his redshirt year) and didn't want to spend his whole career as a backup. He has the opposite of self doubt. He believes he can play and wants to go somewhere where he can. By the same token you could say Shelley "harbors self doubt" by not sticking with it at Utah. Or how about the numerous other players that have come into USU from other schools.

Last year in the college football playoff, 3/4 quarterbacks were told they wouldn't be the starters at other schools and transferred. Are you going to make the case Joe Burrows isn't a competitor because he didn't stay at Ohio State? I'm sure LSU didn't mind his "self doubt" as he was setting college football records and leading LSU to a perfect season and a national title. Oklahoma sure hasn't minded with their last 3 quarterbacks who led them to the playoff (2 of them winning the Heisman) had left other schools.

Reality is transferring is part of the game. We will have players come into our program from other schools and leave our program far more frequently than in previous generations. The key is having a coach that makes the right call with players coming and going. We'll see if this was the right call.
Fair point, and you bring up a good point about Shelly at the same time. However from my “unrealistic” perspective I suppose I see Shelly / Burrows vs HC in a different way than you do. Columbi was the clear starter after spring with glowing reviews from all around including GA. I don’t think that was the case with Shelly or Burrows when they bolted. To me it’s odd that USU brings in an obvious back up for Columbi and he immediately bolts. Maybe not self doubt, maybe something else entirely different. I have no idea and am only left to speculate. In any case it’s very odd to me. You like to see the guy in “pole position” at least take a shot rather than abandon the challenge entirely. It’s weird right!
I don't know anything about the inside goings on of the program. I am just a fan on the outside, but I don't think Colombi saw himself in the lead once the decision was made to bring in Shelley. I agree with FloridaAggie that Shelley certainly didn't see himself as a backup when he came here. Evidence would suggest once the decision was made to bring in Shelley it meant Shelley was the starter or at least put him in pole position to be the starter. Shelley wasn't going to leave his own situation as a backup to be a backup somewhere else.

And I am not saying it is necessarily the wrong move. If Shelley comes in and is great, people will all celebrate the decision including me. I do think the negativity towards Colombi is unfair. He waited his turn. He redshirted then sat on the bench for 2 more years. Nothing is given in life. Colombi is certainly not entitled to be the starter at USU and maybe he shouldn't be next year, but I certainly am not going to fault the guy for after being with the program going on 4 years wanting to go somewhere where he can show his talents on the field.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
GreenAg



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 6395
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Colombi Transferring

Post by 2004AG » July 19th, 2020, 4:38 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 1:17 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 8:51 am
Typically competitors don’t shy away from competition so it’s odd to me HC just up and quit. To quit suddenly one is forced to ask did HC believe in himself or did he harbor self doubt. Look, I like HC and looked forward to him spinning the ball. However if he doesn’t believe he is the best, we’ll let’s just say in the QB position that ain’t good. So I look forward to our new transfer and hope the best for the locker room. I’d love to hear an inside take at some point as to what precipitated this...
Would it be possible that HC thought/knew he was better than JS, but also at the same time thought/knew it wouldn't be a fair fight? That he thought/knew GA had pretty much promised JS the starting position? Is that possible? Do those things have to be mutually exclusive?

If you'll read the entire thread, people with inside connections like aggies22 and JCP have pretty much given us the inside take.
So you people believe that J.S. was promised the starting job ?. Also people believe that the staff would start a inferior player. That is where I disagree. No promise was given, and no staff would knowingly start a inferior player.

H.C did not want to compete for the job, he may have thought the deck was stacked against him but Unlike all the knowledge on this board I'm not sure who is the best one.
I think he was or why else leave Utah?

I don’t think Gary said “you will 100% be the starter” but I think it was heavily implied at worst that it was his job to lose.

If HC is a quitter and didn’t want to compete for the job, then that same rationale applies to JS at Utah.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



oleblu111
Posts: 1620
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 678 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by oleblu111 » July 19th, 2020, 4:51 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 4:38 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 1:17 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 8:51 am
Typically competitors don’t shy away from competition so it’s odd to me HC just up and quit. To quit suddenly one is forced to ask did HC believe in himself or did he harbor self doubt. Look, I like HC and looked forward to him spinning the ball. However if he doesn’t believe he is the best, we’ll let’s just say in the QB position that ain’t good. So I look forward to our new transfer and hope the best for the locker room. I’d love to hear an inside take at some point as to what precipitated this...
Would it be possible that HC thought/knew he was better than JS, but also at the same time thought/knew it wouldn't be a fair fight? That he thought/knew GA had pretty much promised JS the starting position? Is that possible? Do those things have to be mutually exclusive?

If you'll read the entire thread, people with inside connections like aggies22 and JCP have pretty much given us the inside take.
So you people believe that J.S. was promised the starting job ?. Also people believe that the staff would start a inferior player. That is where I disagree. No promise was given, and no staff would knowingly start a inferior player.

H.C did not want to compete for the job, he may have thought the deck was stacked against him but Unlike all the knowledge on this board I'm not sure who is the best one.
I think he was or why else leave Utah?

I don’t think Gary said “you will 100% be the starter” but I think it was heavily implied at worst that it was his job to lose.

If HC is a quitter and didn’t want to compete for the job, then that same rationale applies to JS at Utah.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


No coach would ever promise a starting job to anyone they may think that they are the front runner, however with new players coming available anything can and does happen. J.S. was not guaranteed the starting job at USU. That did not and does not happen.

H.C. was not promised anything at USU period.

I do not blame H.C. for not wanting to stay and compete, also of course J.S. did nearly the same thing, which I have no problem with.



Aggie formerly in Hawaii
Posts: 2720
Joined: October 22nd, 2016, 1:06 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 317 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 19th, 2020, 5:48 pm

2004AG wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 4:38 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 1:17 pm
Blue Sage wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 8:51 am
Typically competitors don’t shy away from competition so it’s odd to me HC just up and quit. To quit suddenly one is forced to ask did HC believe in himself or did he harbor self doubt. Look, I like HC and looked forward to him spinning the ball. However if he doesn’t believe he is the best, we’ll let’s just say in the QB position that ain’t good. So I look forward to our new transfer and hope the best for the locker room. I’d love to hear an inside take at some point as to what precipitated this...
Would it be possible that HC thought/knew he was better than JS, but also at the same time thought/knew it wouldn't be a fair fight? That he thought/knew GA had pretty much promised JS the starting position? Is that possible? Do those things have to be mutually exclusive?

If you'll read the entire thread, people with inside connections like aggies22 and JCP have pretty much given us the inside take.
So you people believe that J.S. was promised the starting job ?. Also people believe that the staff would start a inferior player. That is where I disagree. No promise was given, and no staff would knowingly start a inferior player.

H.C did not want to compete for the job, he may have thought the deck was stacked against him but Unlike all the knowledge on this board I'm not sure who is the best one.
I think he was or why else leave Utah?

I don’t think Gary said “you will 100% be the starter” but I think it was heavily implied at worst that it was his job to lose.

If HC is a quitter and didn’t want to compete for the job, then that same rationale applies to JS at Utah.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with your take. I'm sure he didn't say "you are 100% our starter" but I'm sure he made it clear that he likely would be. Shelley is not coming to usu to be a back up and colombi knew that too.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
taniataylor



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 14542
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 253 times
Been thanked: 578 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by brownjeans » July 19th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Henry had confidence in himself, not the coaches.



oleblu111
Posts: 1620
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 678 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by oleblu111 » July 19th, 2020, 6:29 pm

brownjeans wrote:
July 19th, 2020, 6:18 pm
Henry had confidence in himself, not the coaches.
Of course he thought he was better than what the coach's thought he was, which is of course a unbiased opinion.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic