Colombi Transferring

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
TrueBlueAggie123

Re: Colombi Transferring

Post by TrueBlueAggie123 » July 16th, 2020, 9:51 am

I was pumped to see Colombi get his chance this year, but unfortunately that’s not gonna happen. I’m excited to see what Shelley can do. Almost all Ute fans I can see are saying what a great player he is. If GA thinks he fits the offense better, I trust him.

thegreendalegelf

Post by thegreendalegelf » July 16th, 2020, 9:52 am

bluegrouse wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 9:40 am
Sl7vk wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 8:33 am
I freaking love Henry Colombi and this hurts me a lot. Read the thread title last night at 8, and just tossed my phone down, didn't go any further.
Super bummed about this, how it went down and everything else.
I think objectively though, Shelley is better than Henry right now, and certainly for our type of offense. He was very effective as a freshman in the PAC-12, and he's going to cause a lot of problems for MW defenses with his mobility this year.
His ability to run coupled with a much improved offensive line is going to be tons of fun to watch (if there is something to watch this year).
I was a 100% Henry Colombi guy, and now I'm a 100% Jason Shelley guy.
Lets f'ing go!
If he was very effective in the P12, why was he demoted and then pushed out of his position?
Right now, Utah's QB room is incredibly packed with talent. I think Shelley is good but he'd have to be great to get a shot at starting this year for Utah. Not sure why they did so well at bringing in QBs right now but they sure did.

aggieman2828

Post by aggieman2828 » July 16th, 2020, 9:53 am

bluegrouse wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
I freaking love Henry Colombi and this hurts me a lot. Read the thread title last night at 8, and just tossed my phone down, didn't go any further.
I think objectively though, Shelley is better than Henry right now, and certainly for our type of offense. He was very effective as a freshman in the PAC-12, and he's going to cause a lot of problems for MW defenses with his mobility this year.
His ability to run coupled with a much improved offensive line is going to be tons of fun to watch (if there is something to watch this year).
Lets f'ing go!
If he was very effective in the P12, why was he demoted and then pushed out of his position?
This! If Shelley is so good why was he moved to defense? Is a guy that couldn't even make it on the QB depth chart at Utah supposed to be a starter for the Aggies?? He started 5 games his freshman year. They knew what they had and it wasn't a QB. This is crazy and it is going to sting for a long time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 9:56 am

aggieman2828 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 9:53 am
bluegrouse wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Lets f'ing go!
This! If Shelley is so good why was he moved to defense? Is a guy that couldn't even make it on the QB depth chart at Utah supposed to be a starter for the Aggies?? He started 5 games his freshman year. They knew what they had and it wasn't a QB. This is crazy and it is going to sting for a long time.

Well it’s what we have. So let’s hope he is good enough. Peasley is no slouch either.

GaryTakeTheWheel

Post by GaryTakeTheWheel » July 16th, 2020, 10:00 am

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 10:01 am

An interesting tweet last night.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 10:05 am

GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:00 am
Colombi is probably a great guy and is probably mostly right in his twitter but imo he seems a bit emotional and petty right now with some of his tweets. And yes feel free to disagree. But we’ve all been there where we felt passed over or at least I have and I feel there are better ways to go about it rather than posting on social media and essentially calling out the person you are upset with. Just one persons opinion.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
oleblu111

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » July 16th, 2020, 10:08 am

GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
Yep. Doesn’t sound like the Columbi’s feel like it was going to be a fair fight.
These users thanked the author bluegrouse for the post:
slcagg

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » July 16th, 2020, 10:10 am

slcagg wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:05 am
GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
Colombi is probably a great guy and is probably mostly right in his twitter but imo he seems a bit emotional and petty right now with some of his tweets. And yes feel free to disagree. But we’ve all been there where we felt passed over or at least I have and I feel there are better ways to go about it rather than posting on social media and essentially calling out the person you are upset with. Just one persons opinion.
Well, it is his son and they have been patient and invested years into this program. He’s got every right to be emotional and he hasn’t said anything offensive IMO.
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post (total 5):
slcaggthegreendalegelfaggieguy13vegasaggie3rdGenAggie

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » July 16th, 2020, 10:10 am

slcagg wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:05 am
GaryTakeTheWheel wrote:
I think he’s trying to defend his kid from folks saying he just didn’t want to compete for the job. Much more to it than that.
slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 10:12 am

That’s fair. I did think his tweet last night thanking John and Matt and omitting Gary was more of a direct insult to Gary and was a bit petty. But carry on.
BLUERUFiO

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » July 16th, 2020, 10:15 am

slcagg wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:12 am
That’s fair. I did think his tweet last night thanking John and Matt and omitting Gary was more of a direct insult to Gary and was a bit petty. But carry on.
Why would he thank Andersen if he feels like his kid got screwed over? I certainly wouldn’t. Coach Columbi has been nothing but gracious and objective since his son got here. I don’t think it’s in his nature to be petty. I also don’t think it’s in his nature to kiss someone’s butt if he feels differently about something.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » July 16th, 2020, 10:19 am

I was thinking about this FAIR COMPETITION argument. Why would there need to be a fair competition at this point? There is a bunch of tape on Shelley and Colombi has been in the program for years. The coaches took all that data and made a decision.

Do I think it's the right decision? No. I think Colombi deserves a chance, was given fake promises, and this is real bad for the locker room. But, there is no need for a fair competition.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » July 16th, 2020, 10:29 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:19 am
I was thinking about this FAIR COMPETITION argument. Why would there need to be a fair competition at this point? There is a bunch of tape on Shelley and Colombi has been in the program for years. The coaches took all that data and made a decision.

Do I think it's the right decision? No. I think Colombi deserves a chance, was given fake promises, and this is real bad for the locker room. But, there is no need for a fair competition.
Okay. Fine. But then you better be prepared for the consequences like Columbi leaving and the opinions of your team and fans about the soundness of that decision and your decision-making in general.
BLUERUFiO

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » July 16th, 2020, 10:32 am

I want Shelley to be a success here, but there is nothing wrong with admitting that he was not impressive during his brief run as Utah's starting QB. A recap:

Game 1 @ ASU: Comes into the game for Huntley. Admittedly thrown into a tough position, and the stats reflect it. Utah is outscored 17-3 in the second half and loses by 18. STATS: 4-11, 59 YDS, 1 INT with -9 RUSH YDS

Game 2 vs. ORE: His best game as a Ute, I think. Utah beats a mediocre Oregon team 32-25 at home with Matt Gay hitting SIX field goals. Shelley runs for 2 tudders. STATS: 18-31, 262 YDS with 22 RUSH YDS and 2 RUSH TDs

Game 3 @ CU: Shelley looks good against a bad Colorado team that would fire its coach at year-end. Utes win 30-7. More red zone issues as Gay needs to hit short FGs. STATS: 11-23, 221 YDS, 2 TDs with 29 RUSH YDS

Game 4 vs BYU: Shelley has a horrible first half, then displays his best half of football as a collegiate player. Utah comes back from 20 points down to win 35-27. STATS: 19-28, 141 YDS, 1 TD with 61 RUSH YDS and 1 RUSH TD

Game 5 vs WASH: Huskies have an impressive defense and eat Shelley alive. Easily the worst performance we've seen from him. Utes can only muster a field goal and lose 10-3. STATS: 17-27, 137 YDS, 3 INT with -6 RUSH YDS.

GAME 6 vs NU: Utes lose to Northwestern in the Holiday Bowl. They were up 17 points at halftime, but lose by 11 after scoring no points in the second half. STATS: 27-45, 302 YDS, 2 TD, 2 INT with 39 RUSH YDS.

So in total, he went 3-3 for a team that had more talent than five of those opponents, and ended up with this stat line:

1162 PASS YDS, 58% COMP, 5 TDs, 6 INT with 192 RUSH YDS and 3 RUSH TDs.

The verdict is definitely still out for Shelley. He is not moving to a situation where his team is now more talented relative to its competition, mind you. If we can see that completion percentage come up to around 65% and he runs a little more, he could be VERY good. If his production holds steady with what he did during his time starting at Utah, we will not be a bowl team.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 16th, 2020, 10:33 am

My first thought was that Coach Colombi felt disrespected, not the kid. GA isn't a great coach but he's experienced, and that experience should help him deal with players/parents expectations. But anyone who has been in sports knows, parents can be a major problem. This looks Coach Colombi getting way too involved.

It's a lost year and dad thinks he can move Henry to a better program. It's not a bad plan but there are always unforeseen consequences In the end I'll root for Henry and I hope it works out for him.
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
slcagg

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 16th, 2020, 10:36 am

aggieman2828 wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Lets f'ing go!

See: Repp, Caleb, Mariner, Saiosi, and Heninger, Nick for examples of players that couldn't see the field at Utah but contributed positively to USU upon transfer.
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post (total 2):
BustaMcNuttoleblu111

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 10:37 am

bluegrouse wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:15 am
slcagg wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:12 am
Why would he thank Andersen if he feels like his kid got screwed over? I certainly wouldn’t. Coach Columbi has been nothing but gracious and objective since his son got here. I don’t think it’s in his nature to be petty. I also don’t think it’s in his nature to kiss someone’s butt if he feels differently about something.
Totally understand your point and you should be sincere in thanking others. My point is if i were to leave an employer I wouldn't name drop my previous bosses names and everything else but leave my current boss off in a social media post or communication to others. If I wanted to thank Matt and John i would do so directly since they might not follow my twitter account :).
oleblu111

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 16th, 2020, 10:38 am

Madmartigan wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:36 am
aggieman2828 wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Lets f'ing go!

See: Repp, Caleb, Mariner, Saiosi, and Heninger, Nick for examples of players that couldn't see the field at Utah but contributed positively to USU upon transfer.
We have been a nice landing spot for these guys since Gary came here. I wonder if any others might also join that could make an impact.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 10:43 am

For those of you, that question the competitive fire of Henry Colombi. Why would he sit behind Jordan Love for two seasons? Don't you think that would have been his first chance to bail? If he could handle waiting his turn behind a first-round draft pick, competing with a new transfer wasn't a problem. The decision to transfer wasn't about the talent level of his "competition."
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 14):
slcaggAggiePTtaniataylorbluegrousebrossp24aggieguy13MadmartiganFloridaAggie13Aggie19vegasaggie and 4 more users

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » July 16th, 2020, 10:53 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:43 am
For those of you, that question the competitive fire of Henry Colombi. Why would he sit behind Jordan Love for two seasons? Don't you think that would have been his first chance to bail? If he could handle waiting his turn behind a first-round draft pick, competing with a new transfer wasn't a problem. The decision to transfer wasn't about the talent level of his "competition."
I WISH I COULD LIKE THIS 32 TIMES....

MODS: Can you please allow for multiple likes.... :notworthy:
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post (total 2):
slcaggaggies22

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » July 16th, 2020, 11:28 am

aggies22 wrote:
Can you share what it was? A lot of speculation all over the place. I want the truth. Based on GA’s interview today. He basically said they brought in Shelley to compete and in doing so HC decided to transfer.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » July 16th, 2020, 11:33 am

I was really looking forward to this years season cause I thought we were gonna be a dark horse and all the guys seemed like they were in it together and gonna surprise some people. I feel now that lots of players are probably mad at coach A and chemistry has been hurt. Now I have a bad feeling about the season and the relationship between players and coaches and even players and players. Honestly, it’s not like Shelleys WAY better than Colombi so why not just keep things the way they were. Honestly I think this is gonna screw up a season that could have been decent.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 16th, 2020, 11:56 am

Elkaggie wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 11:28 am
aggies22 wrote:
Can you share what it was? A lot of speculation all over the place. I want the truth. Based on GA’s interview today. He basically said they brought in Shelley to compete and in doing so HC decided to transfer.
Please refer to my post directly above yours and you should have your answer.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » July 16th, 2020, 12:00 pm

It's obvious the deck was going to be heavily stacked in Shelley's favor - Shelley wasn't going to transfer if GA told him he could compete for the backup role behind a starter with two years of eligibility. I don't blame HC for leaving; basically his replacement was just hired so there is no reason to stay.

ususports

Post by ususports » July 16th, 2020, 12:02 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 10:32 am
I want Shelley to be a success here, but there is nothing wrong with admitting that he was not impressive during his brief run as Utah's starting QB. A recap:

Game 1 @ ASU: Comes into the game for Huntley. Admittedly thrown into a tough position, and the stats reflect it. Utah is outscored 17-3 in the second half and loses by 18. STATS: 4-11, 59 YDS, 1 INT with -9 RUSH YDS

Game 2 vs. ORE: His best game as a Ute, I think. Utah beats a mediocre Oregon team 32-25 at home with Matt Gay hitting SIX field goals. Shelley runs for 2 tudders. STATS: 18-31, 262 YDS with 22 RUSH YDS and 2 RUSH TDs

Game 3 @ CU: Shelley looks good against a bad Colorado team that would fire its coach at year-end. Utes win 30-7. More red zone issues as Gay needs to hit short FGs. STATS: 11-23, 221 YDS, 2 TDs with 29 RUSH YDS

Game 4 vs BYU: Shelley has a horrible first half, then displays his best half of football as a collegiate player. Utah comes back from 20 points down to win 35-27. STATS: 19-28, 141 YDS, 1 TD with 61 RUSH YDS and 1 RUSH TD

Game 5 vs WASH: Huskies have an impressive defense and eat Shelley alive. Easily the worst performance we've seen from him. Utes can only muster a field goal and lose 10-3. STATS: 17-27, 137 YDS, 3 INT with -6 RUSH YDS.

GAME 6 vs NU: Utes lose to Northwestern in the Holiday Bowl. They were up 17 points at halftime, but lose by 11 after scoring no points in the second half. STATS: 27-45, 302 YDS, 2 TD, 2 INT with 39 RUSH YDS.

So in total, he went 3-3 for a team that had more talent than five of those opponents, and ended up with this stat line:

1162 PASS YDS, 58% COMP, 5 TDs, 6 INT with 192 RUSH YDS and 3 RUSH TDs.

The verdict is definitely still out for Shelley. He is not moving to a situation where his team is now more talented relative to its competition, mind you. If we can see that completion percentage come up to around 65% and he runs a little more, he could be VERY good. If his production holds steady with what he did during his time starting at Utah, we will not be a bowl team.
To be fair, I remember when Jordan Love, as a freshman, came in and replaced Kent Myers. I am too busy/lazy to look it up, but I believe in the Wyoming game, he had 3 interceptions. Many in this board were down on Love after that. Fast forward to his junior season, his stats were awful from a TD/interception ratio, but got drafted in the first round. Stats are important, but don’t mean everything when evaluating potential. I wish we still had Colombi, but hope Shelley does great!

bpd

Post by bpd » July 16th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Gary screwed the pooch here. That said, the #1 rule when you are emotional -Stay off social media. Mr. Columbi needs to stay off social media and put the phone down.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
oleblu111

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » July 16th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Welp I was excited to see what Colombi was going to do this season. I have nothing but respect for the kid. Judging by the videos online he was working really hard during the off-season/shutdowns. I hope he does well wherever he ends up. Was bringing in Shelly the wrong move by GA? I can’t answer that. It’s forced out Colombi which obviously stings, but time will tell. I hope GA knows what he’s doing here.
Last edited by FL350Aggie on July 16th, 2020, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post:
Turtle

aggieman2828

Post by aggieman2828 » July 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm

If Shelley was as good a QB as some seem to think, he would still be a QB at Utah.

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » July 16th, 2020, 12:36 pm

aggieman2828 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 12:27 pm
If Shelley was as good a QB as some seem to think, he would still be a QB at Utah.

Utah is better than us. There, I said it.
Furthermore, Kyle has a history of moving his best athletes to Defense.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
oleblu111

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » July 16th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Now that we've all expressed our disappointment about how things were handled with Colombi, I would love to have an objective discussion about the actual talent comparison between the lines.

Some here seem to assume that because Shelley came from P12 Utah he is somehow more talented and others feel he is no more talented than Colombi but better fits the offense our coaches want to run.

After reviewing film on both I'm not sure why Colombi is viewed as a non-mobile QB. Yes, he is a good passer but he is more than capable of taking off when needed. What it seems to come down to is I get the feeling that GA and company don't believe Henry would be viewed as an every down running threat in a true read/option offense. He ran it in the same way Love ran it, which is to say a more pass heavy setup where the read was almost more of a half-assed play action that no one bought. I don't think anyone would deny that Colombi was a more willing and successful runner than Love though.

Shelley appears to fit the bill in the coach's minds of a more true read/option QB but I would not consider him an elite runner or passer. His running in HS and at Utah appears to be slow and deliberate - he is not a quick twitch, change of direction type runner. He is small, smaller than even Kent Myers back there. As for his passing? Well, remember how we used to complain about Myers inaccuracy and being too short back there? Shelley is an inch shorter than Myers and his career completion % is 3 point lower. What also jumps out on tape is the luxury Shelley had of playing behind a behemoth OL at Utah where he had time to sit in a clean pocket and wait for a guy to come open or to gain a few yards on the ground with giant holes.

I want to be excited for this change and come away feeling like we're more talented as a team with Shelley at the helm but right now I don't see it. We've seen a small athlete from Texas play QB for us with Myers. We've had a higher ranked and much bigger dual threat QB on roster (J.Greene #13 in the 2014 class) that proved he was most valuable at WR. I hope Shelley breaks the mold and I will still root like hell for him because he has U-State on his helmet and because I want to see him do well after not being given a fair shot at Utah to win the job. Nothing would be better than to see pissed off Ute fans watching him succeed at a position where they have struggled so mightily.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » July 16th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Aglicious wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:30 pm
Turtle wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 10:12 pm
I don't know if we can fault GA for bringing in Shelley, but we can fault him for how he handled the situation. If his intent was to bring in Shelley as a strong 2nd option to Columbi, he must not have conveyed that idea to Columbi and family.

Gary's disloyalty has been thrust into the spotlight, and that won't be good in the locker room OR in recruiting.
Agreed. We have seen him make numerous boneheaded decisions with his assistant coaches, we know he struggles with in-game management as well as coaching adjustments with Xs & Os, but we have always swept those things under the rug in exchange for the idea that his strength is how he treats the kids and puts them first which is the most important thing.

If that is out the door now too, what is left?
This is a really good point. When I first saw the tweet about Columbi leaving, my initial reaction was -"what the hell Gary?"

stang

Post by stang » July 16th, 2020, 12:59 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
aggieman2828 wrote:

While this is true, Utah has been good largely in spite of its quarterback play, not because of it. That’s one area where Utah State has been hands down better over the past decade. Yeah, he played on a good team, but I’ve also watched his film. Remember when Hobbs transferred here from Oregon? There’s much more to it than that a P5 school once recruited them.

Now, that said, I’m excited to see what Shelley can do. His stats at Utah weren’t great, but he was thrown into a starting role during a critical stretch of the season as a freshman. He’s had plenty of time to improve since them and hopefully he has.
These users thanked the author stang for the post:
brownjeans

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » July 16th, 2020, 1:05 pm

ususports wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 9:51 am
aggies22 wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 12:20 am
cdaAg wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 10:00 pm
For me, the last Ute qb I'd have wanted over our guy (including Colombi) would have to be Brian Johnson. I'm disappointed with this development.
The strange thing there is Utah ended up with Brian Johnson because Leon Jackson chose us over Utah.
Once you add punting to the mix, we got what we thought to be a triple threat QB out of that deal. Turns out he was just a punter, but still.
Funny/sad Leon Jackson story - One day back when I was a student on-campus, my friends and I were playing some touch football on the field across the street from the old hyper building. My teammate threw a horrible pass and someone ribbed him saying "wow, you Leon Jackson'd the s**t out of that!" Of course, LJ3 happened to walk nearby at that very moment and was like "hey, what the hell man?" My friend yelled back "play better, bro!" Jackson, just dropped his head and walked away.
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 16th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Sl7vk wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 12:36 pm
aggieman2828 wrote:

I wouldn't say Utah's QBs have been better than ours.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic