I am starting to doubt it happens.....

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Yossarian

Re: I am starting to doubt it happens.....

Post by Yossarian » July 2nd, 2020, 12:51 am

Yossarian wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 9:18 pm
Dominos starting to fall

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/sto ... ith-school

Under Armor looking to terminate a marketing contract with UCLA. No sports - no reason for Under Armor to pay money to UCLA. The school is already being hit by loss of revenue due to the COVID. What chance do the little schools have? Are television contracts next? Have seen the end of bigtime college sports? Who can survive if there is no season this year? The world is changing.
Another domino:

https://sports.yahoo.com/with-14-footba ... 53842.html

Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley had preached patience in returning to campus.

Oklahoma having financial problems. Cut $13.7M from the athletic budget. Cut coaches salaries. Had 14 football players test positive. If the big boys like UCLA and Oklahoma are having financial problems........

And with the high number of athletes testing positive, I really can't see them going forward with a football season.

Eutaw St. Aggie

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » July 2nd, 2020, 6:44 am

If COVID is what the doomsayers are claiming it is (and maybe it is?) then we probably shouldn't have any sports until there is a vaccine, which could be several years if ever.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » July 2nd, 2020, 6:55 am

Yossarian wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 12:51 am
Yossarian wrote:
Dominos starting to fall

Under Armor looking to terminate a marketing contract with UCLA. No sports - no reason for Under Armor to pay money to UCLA. The school is already being hit by loss of revenue due to the COVID. What chance do the little schools have? Are television contracts next? Have seen the end of bigtime college sports? Who can survive if there is no season this year? The world is changing.
Another domino:

Oklahoma having financial problems. Cut $13.7M from the athletic budget. Cut coaches salaries. Had 14 football players test positive. If the big boys like UCLA and Oklahoma are having financial problems........

And with the high number of athletes testing positive, I really can't see them going forward with a football season.
Positive tests is only one metric and it is absolutely wrong to base policy decisions off a single metric, especially when those same decisions will impact millions of lives and livelihoods. Yes, the reported number of positive tests are increasing in some areas. But it is necessary to also look behind that single metric and consider what segment(s) of the population is/are being infected, what is the hospitalization rate, mortality rate, etc. I'm sure a public health professional could easily supply a long list of factors beyond the number of positive tests that should also be considered in making policy decisions.

Shutting things down, whether it be a football season or a business, has immediate and lasting consequences. Something largely ignored during the pandemic are the non-COVID consequences of closing everything down. There are reports of increases in suicides exceeding COVID-related deaths in some areas. The Journal of the American Medical Association recently published an article about an expectation that the stay-at-home orders will result in an increase in suicides over the next couple of years. Other date show increases in domestic violence during the pandemic. At least in the public discussion, non-COVID impacts of shutting everything down have largely been pushed aside and ignored.

The JAMA article summarized it well by stating that implementation of COVID prevention efforts "should include a comprehensive approach that considers multiple US public health priorities." I would add that consideration of the economic impact is also warranted.

For my part, it is past time to learn how to live with COVID in society instead of trying to run and hide from it. This virus is not going away.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post (total 5):
foreveranaggieMachismoAggiePTFloridaAggie13breadysmith

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » July 2nd, 2020, 7:54 am

You know when polio was a thing, people didn't stop living their lives. Those who got it at the time were put into something called an iron lung that helped them breathe. Many people didn't recover, and those that did were crippled for the rest of their lives, or impacted in some way. In the late 1950's, of course, Dr. Jonas Salk discovered the vaccine for polio. I remember going to a local elementary school to receive a sugar cube that had the vaccine on it. We all took it, and polio was eventually eradicated as a major concern.

I know many of you on this board are younger and are concerned. You should be. But like every other disease of the past 20 years-- HIV, MERS, SARS, and all the rest, a way will be found to contain Covid-19. Have some hope. We've been through this before. Our public health and research folks have had the decks cleared so they can find the solution that will benefit us all. In the meantime, wear your mask and socially distance. If we have to go without football this fall we will live with that. It won't be as fun. But if a window is provided to knock out this disease, then so be it. THAT is the most important thing, ultimately.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 4):
aggies22BearLakeMonsterAggiePTAZ4AggieNation

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » July 2nd, 2020, 9:12 am

bwcrc wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 6:55 am
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Dominos starting to fall

Another domino:

Positive tests is only one metric and it is absolutely wrong to base policy decisions off a single metric, especially when those same decisions will impact millions of lives and livelihoods. Yes, the reported number of positive tests are increasing in some areas. But it is necessary to also look behind that single metric and consider what segment(s) of the population is/are being infected, what is the hospitalization rate, mortality rate, etc. I'm sure a public health professional could easily supply a long list of factors beyond the number of positive tests that should also be considered in making policy decisions.

Shutting things down, whether it be a football season or a business, has immediate and lasting consequences. Something largely ignored during the pandemic are the non-COVID consequences of closing everything down. There are reports of increases in suicides exceeding COVID-related deaths in some areas. The Journal of the American Medical Association recently published an article about an expectation that the stay-at-home orders will result in an increase in suicides over the next couple of years. Other date show increases in domestic violence during the pandemic. At least in the public discussion, non-COVID impacts of shutting everything down have largely been pushed aside and ignored.

The JAMA article summarized it well by stating that implementation of COVID prevention efforts "should include a comprehensive approach that considers multiple US public health priorities." I would add that consideration of the economic impact is also warranted.

For my part, it is past time to learn how to live with COVID in society instead of trying to run and hide from it. This virus is not going away.
As a primary care provider I can tell you that at least with our patients here in Idaho Covid-19 has increased dramatically the amount of patients with depression and anxiety, and those patients with already existing depression/anxiety are now suicidal or on the brink. The majority of our diabetics and hypertensive patients are worse because of lack of exercise, stress, and poor diets secondary to stay at home orders, work closures, and social distancing. I've had cancer patients worsen because their treatment was put on hold for 3 months. Other patients with shoulder and knee surgeries that were put on hold have now been out of work for 6-9 months and are holding on by a thread.
We have not lost one patient to Covid-19 complications, but significant damage has been done in other areas and will be felt years down the road if we continue to treat it like the plague.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 10):
slcaggbwcrcFloridaAggie13MachismoAggiePTBustaMcNuttratofallaggiesAZ4AggieNationAggiesForeverSBC_packers

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 2nd, 2020, 9:21 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 9:12 am
bwcrc wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Dominos starting to fall

Another domino:

As a primary care provider I can tell you that at least with our patients here in Idaho Covid-19 has increased dramatically the amount of patients with depression and anxiety, and those patients with already existing depression/anxiety are now suicidal or on the brink. The majority of our diabetics and hypertensive patients are worse because of lack of exercise, stress, and poor diets secondary to stay at home orders, work closures, and social distancing. I've had cancer patients worsen because their treatment was put on hold for 3 months. Other patients with shoulder and knee surgeries that were put on hold have now been out of work for 6-9 months and are holding on by a thread.
We have not lost one patient to Covid-19 complications, but significant damage has been done in other areas and will be felt years down the road if we continue to treat it like the plague.
So has anyone seen that their may be a new swine flu strain that they are already linkinG with the word pandemic (possible pandemic). We may be in lock down for years at this rate.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 2nd, 2020, 9:33 am

slcagg wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 9:21 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 9:12 am
bwcrc wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Dominos starting to fall

Another domino:

So has anyone seen that their may be a new swine flu strain that they are already linkinG with the word pandemic (possible pandemic). We may be in lock down for years at this rate.
It's intoxicating, this power to speak and have 300M+ people snap to. Gotta catch em all!
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
aggies22

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » July 2nd, 2020, 9:34 am

It's been around since 2016. Seems like if it was going to go pandemic it would've gone that way by now.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggiesForever

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » July 2nd, 2020, 9:36 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 9:34 am
It's been around since 2016. Seems like if it was going to go pandemic it would've gone that way by now.
It will go 'pandemic' when the powers that be tell is it is a 'pandemic', pending political and other cultural and societal factors where they feel they are losing control over the serfs.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
aggies22

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » July 2nd, 2020, 9:44 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 9:36 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
It will go 'pandemic' when the powers that be tell is it is a 'pandemic', pending political and other cultural and societal factors where they feel they are losing control over the serfs.
So about the time they finally admit Covid is under control.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
aggies22FloridaAggie13

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » July 2nd, 2020, 9:56 am

Here’s some good news and possibly a sign of things to come. Real Monarchs the minor league affiliate of Real Salt Lake is having games with fans in the stands starting July 11. The capacity will be limited to around 5 thousand at Rio Tinto Stadium.
These users thanked the author VegasBornAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 2nd, 2020, 10:01 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 9:44 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Early November is my guess.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 2nd, 2020, 10:05 am

slcagg wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 10:01 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Like about the 4th?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
hipsterdoofus21slcaggFloridaAggie13

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 2nd, 2020, 10:13 am

aggies22 wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 10:05 am
slcagg wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Like about the 4th?
Haha. Just in time for basketball season!
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 2nd, 2020, 11:59 am

VegasBornAggie wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 9:56 am

Here’s some good news and possibly a sign of things to come. Real Monarchs the minor league affiliate of Real Salt Lake is having games with fans in the stands starting July 11. The capacity will be limited to around 5 thousand at Rio Tinto Stadium.
But will the "real" sports leagues start playing? ;)

Eutaw St. Aggie

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » July 2nd, 2020, 12:42 pm

Yossarian wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 11:59 am
VegasBornAggie wrote:

Oh definitely at least its getting the ball rolling for in-person sporting events.
Thing is Utah Health officials are allowing right around 25% capacity of Rio Tinto Stadium. If they do the same for the Mav there will be right around 6500 seats available for this upcoming football season.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » July 2nd, 2020, 12:50 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 11:59 am
VegasBornAggie wrote:

Oh definitely at least its getting the ball rolling for in-person sporting events.
Thing is Utah Health officials are allowing right around 25% capacity of Rio Tinto Stadium. If they do the same for the Mav there will be right around 6500 seats available for this upcoming football season.
The state of Utah is allowing 65% capacity for college football this fall. Source Level: our ticket office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
AZ4AggieNationaggies22

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » July 2nd, 2020, 6:03 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 4:47 pm
VegasBornAggie wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 11:26 am
2004AG wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 10:58 am
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
June 29th, 2020, 9:10 am
I'm having more and more doubts
Your outlook and reasoning have been noted for months.
That was funny.

I still think there will be a season but masks will mandatory. The powers that be need to be able to show how serious they are taking it and masks are a tangible thing they can do.

If masks are a requirement to go see the Aggies play live, I have no issue doing that.
Completely agree if I have to wear a mask to see USU play in person I'll do it. Heck if I have to get a COVID-19 test to go and see them play live I'd even do that.
What about a prostate check?
Went in to have my prostate checked and asked the Doctor "should take my pants off?" He said "Yes! Take your pants off and put them right over there with mine."
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 2nd, 2020, 6:25 pm

El Sapo wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 6:03 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
That was funny.

I still think there will be a season but masks will mandatory. The powers that be need to be able to show how serious they are taking it and masks are a tangible thing they can do.

If masks are a requirement to go see the Aggies play live, I have no issue doing that.
Completely agree if I have to wear a mask to see USU play in person I'll do it. Heck if I have to get a COVID-19 test to go and see them play live I'd even do that.
Went in to have my prostate checked and asked the Doctor "should take my pants off?" He said "Yes! Take your pants off and put them right over there with mine."
That's proper procedure isn't it?
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21El Sapo

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » July 3rd, 2020, 11:21 am

I’m starting to really think the season isn’t going to happen. Basketball might start off without fans, the. Transition if/when vaccines and treatments come. But I don’t think football is realistic or smart at this point.

People who are obese and have diabetes are at risk. How many D-1 lineman fall under one of those two categories? Even if they are in great shape, they still are big and their size puts a lot of pressure on their lungs. I’ve heard that a high percentage of lineman already have sleep apnea.

For that reason I would not be surprised if the NCAA cancels the season. Even without fans in the stands they’d be putting a lot of vulnerable athletes at risk.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » July 3rd, 2020, 11:28 am

These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 2):
aggies22bwcrc

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » July 3rd, 2020, 11:32 am

AggieUprising50 wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 11:21 am
I’m starting to really think the season isn’t going to happen. Basketball might start off without fans, the. Transition if/when vaccines and treatments come. But I don’t think football is realistic or smart at this point.

People who are obese and have diabetes are at risk. How many D-1 lineman fall under one of those two categories? Even if they are in great shape, they still are big and their size puts a lot of pressure on their lungs. I’ve heard that a high percentage of lineman already have sleep apnea.

For that reason I would not be surprised if the NCAA cancels the season. Even without fans in the stands they’d be putting a lot of vulnerable athletes at risk.
I worry they need to stop tackling as well. Did you see all the injuries last year?
These users thanked the author Chatman for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21AggiesForever

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » July 5th, 2020, 1:42 pm

I think the good epidemiologist has the right attitude about how we need to approach this. One thing that really stood out to me about what the data and evidence are showing is "the impact of COVID-19 is about 0.1% of 1918 influenza, since the 1918 influenza killed mostly young healthy people (average age 28), while the average age of death with COVID-19 is 80 years, with several comorbidities."

Now that we have some verifiable information upon which policy makers can make informed decisions, we need "to deal with COVID-19 in a smart, precision-risk targeted approach, rather than blindly shutting down everything." Unfortunately, very little press is given to this attitude since it fails to fit into mass media's narratives to drive viewers, ratings, and their own agenda.

Something we heard a lot about several months ago was the need for herd immunity for life to return to normal. If we keep shutting everything down, how will herd immunity ever develop?
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post (total 6):
USU78FloridaAggie13aggies22hipsterdoofus21breadysmithAZ4AggieNation

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » July 5th, 2020, 3:06 pm

El Sapo wrote:
July 2nd, 2020, 6:03 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
VegasBornAggie wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
That was funny.

"Are you using both hands doc?" -- Fletch
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
aggies22

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » July 10th, 2020, 12:40 pm

;)
Last edited by GordoAggie on July 10th, 2020, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » July 10th, 2020, 12:41 pm

VegasBornAggie

Post by VegasBornAggie » July 10th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Its official the Pac 12 is going to a conference only format which means no Wazzu and Washington game this season unfortunately.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » July 12th, 2020, 10:45 pm

slcagg wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Besides the obvious that there has been over 3 million cases in America and over 130,000 deaths, Texas's very Republican governor put out a mandatory mask order and said there would be another shutdown if citizens didn't comply.

The belief that this is some hoax or a political conspiracy to win an election is crazy and should have been put to bed a long time ago. Nobody likes the current situation, but it is a real global problem we have to deal with. Pretending it isn't real is not going to help solve it.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
slcagg

Locked Previous topicNext topic