Speaking of Major League Baseball

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
ViAggie

Speaking of Major League Baseball

Post by ViAggie » June 9th, 2020, 3:59 pm

rumor is that they will divest in Minor League ball and look to the Universities for a farm program, much like the NBA does w/BB and and the NFL does w/FB. Is it time for USU to get a mens Base Ball team? Hmmm....

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Yossarian

Re: Speaking of Major League Baseball

Post by Yossarian » June 9th, 2020, 6:12 pm

I think this is a bad idea.

I don't know how kids can play full college baseball schedules and keep up with their schoolwork. When you are playing 4 games a week, or whatever, with travel and practices - they are no longer students. They are amateur ball players taking distance learning courses with the help of tutors.

I was thinking that the push was going to be toward semi-pro basketball and football leagues as feeders for the NFL and NBA. It would be difficult to build the infrastructure needed to that, however. There are kids playing football and basketball in college that have no intention of getting a degree - they are in it only to play for a shot at making it into a professional league.

USU had a club team in baseball - even won a couple of national championships a few years back at the club level. Do they still play club baseball there?

Eutaw St. Aggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 10th, 2020, 11:55 am

Yossarian wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 6:12 pm

I don't know how kids can play full college baseball schedules and keep up with their schoolwork. When you are playing 4 games a week, or whatever, with travel and practices - they are no longer students. They are amateur ball players taking distance learning courses with the help of tutors.

I was thinking that the push was going to be toward semi-pro basketball and football leagues as feeders for the NFL and NBA. It would be difficult to build the infrastructure needed to that, however. There are kids playing football and basketball in college that have no intention of getting a degree - they are in it only to play for a shot at making it into a professional league.

USU had a club team in baseball - even won a couple of national championships a few years back at the club level. Do they still play club baseball there?
If you are an athlete and you have no desire to get a degree, the University should push you to get a degree in business management, that way you can manage your wealth accordingly.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 10th, 2020, 12:30 pm

ViAggie wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 11:55 am
Yossarian wrote:

If you are an athlete and you have no desire to get a degree, the University should push you to get a degree in business management, that way you can manage your wealth accordingly.
If the athlete is mentally astute and disciplined enough to actually complete the coursework to earn a college degree, I would hope that he/she is smart enough to know that a degree would serve him/her well in life and how to handle money, regardless of the degree. The universities should not just hand out degrees to athletes or push them into a major just because they are athletes - this cheapens the degree for others.

Eutaw St. Aggie

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » June 10th, 2020, 2:19 pm

I do NOT support the idea of getting rid of the minor leagues! In my perfect world all the pro leagues would have viable minor leagues and not use the universities. But as I live in the real world, I know this will not happen.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
ProvoAggie

GA_Aggie

Post by GA_Aggie » June 15th, 2020, 8:30 am

Yossarian wrote:

Yep, the club baseball team is still going (and successful) - https://www.usubaseball.com/teams/?u=us ... s=baseball. I would love us to have a school sponsored team. But, I also recognize there's only so much money to go around...

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 15th, 2020, 10:21 am

GA_Aggie wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 8:30 am
Yossarian wrote:

Yep, the club baseball team is still going (and successful) - https://www.usubaseball.com/teams/?u=us ... s=baseball. I would love us to have a school sponsored team. But, I also recognize there's only so much money to go around...
An interesting note:

A few years back, a kid knocked on my door here in California selling pest control. I didn't sign up for the service but he left me a number to call him if I changed my mind. I noticed it was a "435" number so I asked if he was from Utah. He was kind of surprised that I recognized the area code and said that he went to school there at USU. When I told him I was an alumnus he lit up. He said that he played baseball there. When I told him I had followed the club team in their national championships he got really excited. He was on a couple of those teams. We sat and talked baseball for several minutes on the front porch.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 16th, 2020, 1:28 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 10:21 am
GA_Aggie wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 8:30 am
Yossarian wrote:

An interesting note:

A few years back, a kid knocked on my door here in California selling pest control. I didn't sign up for the service but he left me a number to call him if I changed my mind. I noticed it was a "435" number so I asked if he was from Utah. He was kind of surprised that I recognized the area code and said that he went to school there at USU. When I told him I was an alumnus he lit up. He said that he played baseball there. When I told him I had followed the club team in their national championships he got really excited. He was on a couple of those teams. We sat and talked baseball for several minutes on the front porch.
But you still didn't buy from the poor kid haha

sam tingey

Post by sam tingey » July 1st, 2020, 5:46 am

Dang! Minor league cancelled for 2020.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » July 1st, 2020, 10:53 am

sam tingey wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 5:46 am
didn't see that coming :roll:

sam tingey

Post by sam tingey » July 1st, 2020, 11:45 am

ViAggie wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 10:53 am
sam tingey wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 5:46 am
didn't see that coming :roll:
Well, I was hoping that if MLB was trying to get back on, that they would be able to swing something for MiLB. It was obvious, but it still saddens me.
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
Yossarian

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » July 1st, 2020, 4:33 pm

While we're talking baseball - I want to wish you all a Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!!!

Every July 1, Bobby Bonilla gets a check from the NY Mets, with an annual increase of 8% per year. This year the check was for $1.19M. This was part of a clever deal set up by Bonilla's agent and the Mets to sign him. In 1991, he signed a contract worth $29M. As of 2000, the Mets were still on hook for $5.9M of his contract. The Mets thought they were going to make out big with investments through Bernie Madoff, so they restructured the agreement with Bonilla to defer Bonilla's payout for 25 years beginning in 2011, with an 8% annual increase. Today, they paid him $1.19M and he will get that plus 8% for the next 17 years. Bonilla is 57 years old right now and hasn't played in the Majors since 2001.

Not a bad retirement plan.

I really should have worked harder on becoming a big-league ball player.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » July 1st, 2020, 5:01 pm

Yossarian wrote:
July 1st, 2020, 4:33 pm
While we're talking baseball - I want to wish you all a Happy Bobby Bonilla Day!!!

Every July 1, Bobby Bonilla gets a check from the NY Mets, with an annual increase of 8% per year. This year the check was for $1.19M. This was part of a clever deal set up by Bonilla's agent and the Mets to sign him. In 1991, he signed a contract worth $29M. As of 2000, the Mets were still on hook for $5.9M of his contract. The Mets thought they were going to make out big with investments through Bernie Madoff, so they restructured the agreement with Bonilla to defer Bonilla's payout for 25 years beginning in 2011, with an 8% annual increase. Today, they paid him $1.19M and he will get that plus 8% for the next 17 years. Bonilla is 57 years old right now and hasn't played in the Majors since 2001.

Not a bad retirement plan.

I really should have worked harder on becoming a big-league ball player.
I’m guessing he’s not on the Mets’ Christmas card mailing list...

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » July 2nd, 2020, 11:42 am

Who knows, but this year he is tied for the lead in HR's and RBI's. So he that going for him
These users thanked the author Aggiefan33 for the post:
sstrasser

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

Locked Previous topicNext topic