I am starting to doubt it happens.....

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GordoAggie

I am starting to doubt it happens.....

Post by GordoAggie » June 21st, 2020, 8:52 am

Every university that has brought athletes in has had kids test positive. Even us.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yah ... html

Makes me worry about my sons high school season. Currently his team is in quarantine🤬

GameFAQSAggie

Re: I am starting to doubt it happens.....

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 21st, 2020, 9:11 am

I was thinking the same thing yesterday.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 21st, 2020, 9:20 am

The 14 days, guys. They get tested, remain quarantined for 14 days, then get reevaluated.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 21st, 2020, 9:28 am

GordoAggie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 8:52 am
Every university that has brought athletes in has had kids test positive. Even us.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yah ... html

Makes me worry about my sons high school season. Currently his team is in quarantine🤬
Do did you see something that reported we've had players test positive?

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » June 21st, 2020, 9:54 am

Do did you see something that reported we've had players test positive?
Not reported but we had a player or staff member test positive

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 21st, 2020, 10:29 am

It’s just a flu 😷, what’s the big deal? So some FB players will lose there sense of smell and taste, a few aches and pains, no biggie right? They are young they can handle it, what could go wrong???? Let’s gitterdumb!!!

O/S
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » June 21st, 2020, 10:48 am

It'll happen. Every D1 budget in the nation, with maybe a handful of exceptions for great basketball schools, goes deep into the red without a football season.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 21st, 2020, 12:07 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:48 am
It'll happen. Every D1 budget in the nation, with maybe a handful of exceptions for great basketball schools, goes deep into the red without a football season.
And when has anyone factored in fiscal sense during this whole mess?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 21st, 2020, 12:23 pm

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
And that's why I've said they'll shut all athletics down. At least for a year. I think the 2020-21 athletics seasons, all of them, are in jeopardy.

Eutaw St. Aggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 21st, 2020, 2:47 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 12:23 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
And that's why I've said they'll shut all athletics down. At least for a year. I think the 2020-21 athletics seasons, all of them, are in jeopardy.
Don't be a Debbie Downer, some of us just want to live our lives normally!!!!! :joking:

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » June 21st, 2020, 2:58 pm

Yossarian wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
While a lot of expenses would be reduced, a lot of expenses cannot be avoided even if all events are shut down. Shutting everything down would not include the ability to stop paying coaches and administrators in the athletic department. Students on scholarships will still have their tuition paid for as well as meal and housing expenses. They would probably also expect their tutors and nutritionists and other benefits they generally receive. Some facility expenses would also continue. Since a significant portion of the revenue for all athletic expenses come from ticket sales and concessions, the money for that will have to come from somewhere. Somehow I doubt students would want their fees increased for the athletic events that will not occur.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 21st, 2020, 5:31 pm

bwcrc wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 2:58 pm
Yossarian wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
While a lot of expenses would be reduced, a lot of expenses cannot be avoided even if all events are shut down. Shutting everything down would not include the ability to stop paying coaches and administrators in the athletic department. Students on scholarships will still have their tuition paid for as well as meal and housing expenses. They would probably also expect their tutors and nutritionists and other benefits they generally receive. Some facility expenses would also continue. Since a significant portion of the revenue for all athletic expenses come from ticket sales and concessions, the money for that will have to come from somewhere. Somehow I doubt students would want their fees increased for the athletic events that will not occur.

If campuses are shut down to students, you won't have housing and meal costs for those student athletes. There are some ancillary expenses that will go away, too (electricity, janitorial services, HVAC maintenance, etc.)

I think some institutions will be forced to make difficult decisions as to whether they will keep their programs. Just one year of lost or diminished revenue, while maintaining the financial burden of keeping the athletics programs, could put a school like USU in a financial pit that may take years to climb out of, if ever. Is it worth the risk? They have already lost NCAA tournament revenue while maintaining the expenses for spring sports that you already mentioned. If the second wave of this thing hits and we go back on lockdown, can USU athletics survive?

It may be that only those schools with large endowments and booster support will weather this storm.

Eutaw St. Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 21st, 2020, 5:41 pm

ViAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Don't be a Debbie Downer, some of us just want to live our lives normally!!!!! :joking:
Hiding in your basement crawled up in the fetal position isn’t living your life normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13USU78

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » June 22nd, 2020, 7:10 am

ViAggie wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 10:29 am
It’s just a flu 😷, what’s the big deal? So some FB players will lose there sense of smell and taste, a few aches and pains, no biggie right? They are young they can handle it, what could go wrong???? Let’s gitterdumb!!!

O/S
What's the big deal? So some FB players will limp the rest of their lives, have knee and hip replacements in their forties, struggle with memory loss.

You are okay with them playing a violent sport where on any given play they can be paralyzed or maimed for life, or maybe even killed but then you have the gall to claim a moral high road concerning player safety due to COVID?

Put your money where your mouth is. Forego the next year without a paycheck, or until a vaccine is found. Live the life you demand everyone else to live.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
Machismosstrasser

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » June 22nd, 2020, 9:00 am

I do find it a bit ironic that there's such panic over the Coronavirus for collegiate athletes when these kids are subject to calamities such as concussion/brain damage and lifelong physical pain and injury. Also, to my knowledge, not a single one has even been hospitalized among all of the known cases.

There's also studies coming out showing the death rate on those under 60 years to be around 0.05% (5% of 1%.)

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy ... ital-diary (Study from a Stanford Professor)

These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 3):
Machismoratofallaggiessstrasser

slcagg

Post by slcagg » June 22nd, 2020, 9:09 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 9:00 am
I do find it a bit ironic that there's such panic over the Coronavirus for collegiate athletes when these kids are subject to calamities such as concussion/brain damage and lifelong physical pain and injury. Also, to my knowledge, not a single one has even been hospitalized among all of the known cases.

There's also studies coming out showing the death rate on those under 60 years to be around 0.05% (5% of 1%.)

https://justthenews.com/politics-policy ... ital-diary (Study from a Stanford Professor)

Keep numbers out of here! :)
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
AZ4AggieNation

kofdog

Post by kofdog » June 22nd, 2020, 9:28 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 12:07 pm
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
And when has anyone factored in fiscal sense during this whole mess?
Ever the voice of reason....:)

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 22nd, 2020, 10:51 am

2004AG wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 5:41 pm
ViAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
YoungBloodAggie wrote:
Hiding in your basement crawled up in the fetal position isn’t living your life normally.

Muh freedumbs!!!

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 22nd, 2020, 10:53 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 7:10 am
ViAggie wrote:

O/S
What's the big deal? So some FB players will limp the rest of their lives, have knee and hip replacements in their forties, struggle with memory loss.

You are okay with them playing a violent sport where on any given play they can be paralyzed or maimed for life, or maybe even killed but then you have the gall to claim a moral high road concerning player safety due to COVID?

Put your money where your mouth is. Forego the next year without a paycheck, or until a vaccine is found. Live the life you demand everyone else to live.
I mean it's not like those FB players would pass the Covid to... say one of the coaches, the professors at the University, or their parents or grand parents, many of whom no doubt have underlying health conditions that Covid-19 would equal a death sentence for. But yea, the show must go on come hell or high water, quit being a wussy and come out from the basement, amaright? I needs muh entertainment! I needs muh sports!!!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » June 22nd, 2020, 11:15 am

ViAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
It’s just a flu Image, what’s the big deal? So some FB players will lose there sense of smell and taste, a few aches and pains, no biggie right? They are young they can handle it, what could go wrong???? Let’s gitterdumb!!!

O/S

I mean it's not like those FB players would pass the Covid to... say one of the coaches, the professors at the University, or their parents or grand parents, many of whom no doubt have underlying health conditions that Covid-19 would equal a death sentence for. But yea, the show must go on come hell or high water, quit being a wussy and come out from the basement, amaright? I needs muh entertainment! I needs muh sports!!!
The virus isn’t going away. Maybe ever. What choice do we have but learn how to manage it and live with it ? You can’t live in your basement forever.

These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
sstrasserAZ4AggieNation

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 22nd, 2020, 11:22 am

ViAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 10:53 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

O/S

Now you're getting the idea.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
ratofallaggiesMachismosstrasserAZ4AggieNation

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 22nd, 2020, 11:23 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

O/S

I actually think football will go away eventually. Not saying I want that, but there has been a growing movement for a while now. Brain injuries are the main reason even more than the reasons you suggested.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 22nd, 2020, 11:34 am

2004AG wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 11:15 am
ViAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
It’s just a flu Image, what’s the big deal? So some FB players will lose there sense of smell and taste, a few aches and pains, no biggie right? They are young they can handle it, what could go wrong???? Let’s gitterdumb!!!

O/S

The virus isn’t going away. Maybe ever. What choice do we have but learn how to manage it and live with it ? You can’t live in your basement forever.

I wish I had a basement... those aren't so popular out here

I'm willing to live with it when we come up with ways to treat the most serious conditions brought on by the disease, until then I'm staying away from large crowds, it's not agoraphobia, it's self preservation.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » June 22nd, 2020, 11:43 am

ViAggie wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 11:34 am
2004AG wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

O/S

I'm willing to live with it when we come up with ways to treat the most serious conditions brought on by the disease, until then I'm staying away from large crowds, it's not agoraphobia, it's self preservation.
The great thing is that it's your freedom to do just that, and it's other's freedom to participate how they'd like to. It's ok to have differing opinions and views on life, that's what makes life great. What a boring world it would be if we were all forced to view things the exact same way.
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post (total 3):
aggies22sstrasserAZ4AggieNation

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » June 22nd, 2020, 1:55 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 11:43 am
ViAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

O/S

The great thing is that it's your freedom to do just that, and it's other's freedom to participate how they'd like to. It's ok to have differing opinions and views on life, that's what makes life great. What a boring world it would be if we were all forced to view things the exact same way.
I would hope that people would take an educated view of the virus and act in an informed way, especially people like us here on a site associated with college education, but clearly that's not possible. People are so political that they are wiling to abdicate their health decisions to a guy who thinks you could inject disinfectant into your body. There are doctors and scientists developing guidelines on how we should stay safe, and guidelines from experts appointed by Trump. But, the President himself doesn't follow the guidelines, and his base just follows him blindly. The result of Trumps war on the corona virus? The US suffers the most cases and the most deaths worldwide (as of 6/22/20).
These users thanked the author El Sapo for the post:
Aggie formerly in Hawaii

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » June 22nd, 2020, 2:11 pm

El Sapo wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 1:55 pm
ratofallaggies wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

O/S

I would hope that people would take an educated view of the virus and act in an informed way, especially people like us here on a site associated with college education, but clearly that's not possible. People are so political that they are wiling to abdicate their health decisions to a guy who thinks you could inject disinfectant into your body. There are doctors and scientists developing guidelines on how we should stay safe, and guidelines from experts appointed by Trump. But, the President himself doesn't follow the guidelines, and his base just follows him blindly. The result of Trumps war on the corona virus? The US suffers the most cases and the most deaths worldwide (as of 6/22/20).
Yeah I new this thread wouldn't go far until it became political. Save your political views for the SL trib.
These users thanked the author blueaggie for the post:
GUS

USUFAN5

Post by USUFAN5 » June 22nd, 2020, 2:16 pm

Haha. "People are so political" followed up with politically charged statements.
These users thanked the author USUFAN5 for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 22nd, 2020, 2:49 pm

USUFAN5 wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 2:16 pm
Haha. "People are so political" followed up with politically charged statements.
RIGHT? :lol:

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » June 22nd, 2020, 3:01 pm

El Sapo wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

O/S

Not taking the bait brother. You're entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else!
These users thanked the author ratofallaggies for the post:
slcagg

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 22nd, 2020, 4:13 pm

USUFAN5 wrote:
He should not have brought up the president making it political, but his point stands that the University and NCAA should be smart about this. I want college football to be played this Fall as much as everyone, but they need to be smart about how they go about things. Hopefully they will be.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » June 22nd, 2020, 4:31 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:13 pm
USUFAN5 wrote:
He should not have brought up the president making it political, but his point stands that the University and NCAA should be smart about this. I want college football to be played this Fall as much as everyone, but they need to be smart about how they go about things. Hopefully they will be.

Just out of curiosity - what does this mean? What is the smart way to go about things?

Are they going to restrict attendance to 20% capacity? Who gets in?

Are they going to make people show up 6 hours early and get in line so they can take everyone's temperature and answer a series of medical questions before they let them in?

Are they going to hire more staff to continuously wipe surfaces throughout the stadium/bathrooms throughout the game and again when everyone leaves?

Are they going to have ushers continuously go up and down the aisles looking for people that aren't wearing their facemasks and have them removed (after they have their temperature taken again, of course)?

Are people going to put up with this? Or just say "screw it, I'll watch on TV or go find something else to do".

I don't know what the "smart way to go about things" is.

Eutaw St. Aggie

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » June 22nd, 2020, 6:05 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:31 pm
USUFAN5 wrote:

Just out of curiosity - what does this mean? What is the smart way to go about things?

Are they going to make people show up 6 hours early and get in line so they can take everyone's temperature and answer a series of medical questions before they let them in?

Are they going to hire more staff to continuously wipe surfaces throughout the stadium/bathrooms throughout the game and again when everyone leaves?

Are they going to have ushers continuously go up and down the aisles looking for people that aren't wearing their facemasks and have them removed (after they have their temperature taken again, of course)?

Are people going to put up with this? Or just say "screw it, I'll watch on TV or go find something else to do".

I was thinking the same thing because the bathroom is a super-spreader location, along with each flush. Imagine FT bathroom attendants at a FB game? Also, how do I get away with drinking the beer I snuck into the stadium when the guy can hear me crack it open? :joking:

bpd

Post by bpd » June 22nd, 2020, 7:25 pm

El Sapo wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

O/S

Hit the nail on the head.
We could start with everybody wearing masks in public indoors. All the problems wouldn't be solved, but many of them would.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 22nd, 2020, 7:46 pm

bpd wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 7:25 pm
El Sapo wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
ViAggie wrote:

O/S

Hit the nail on the head.
We could start with everybody wearing masks in public indoors. All the problems wouldn't be solved, but many of them would.
It would lower the number of active cases but it wouldn’t do anything as far as making football safe from Corona this fall. It’s going to take 3-5 years of a vaccine and herd immunity at this rate to get the risk down to the levels people are hoping for by this fall.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » June 22nd, 2020, 8:21 pm

Yossarian wrote:
June 22nd, 2020, 4:31 pm
USUFAN5 wrote:

It probably means playing the season with limited fans. The NBA is going to finish their season without fans and rumor is they are going to play next season without fans too. That might have to be what happens for the college football season or let in a small amount of fans. Cramming 80,000 people together in a stadium should not happen this year.

Locked Previous topicNext topic