Depth chart predictions

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB
Posts: 2498
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 175 times
Been thanked: 306 times

Depth chart predictions

Post by SLB » May 24th, 2020, 10:54 pm

Since we don't fully know let's see who can predict the future
Post your prediction



VegasBornAggie
Posts: 43
Joined: April 15th, 2020, 2:51 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by VegasBornAggie » May 25th, 2020, 1:08 am

My current depth chart goes as follows...
Starting 5:
PG: Marco Anthony
SG: Sean Bairstow
SF: Alphonso Anderson
PF: Justin Bean
C: Neemias Queta

Bench:
6: Liam McChesney
7: Brock Miller
8: Steven Ashworth
9: Trevin Dorius
10: Jakub Karwowski
11: Mathew Wickizer
12: Rollie Worster (Red Shirt)
13: Szymon Zapala (Red Shirt)
14: Max Shulga (Red Shirt)



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 135
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 25th, 2020, 3:19 am

VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:08 am
My current depth chart goes as follows...
Starting 5:
PG: Marco Anthony
SG: Sean Bairstow
SF: Alphonso Anderson
PF: Justin Bean
C: Neemias Queta

Bench:
6: Liam McChesney
7: Brock Miller
8: Steven Ashworth
9: Trevin Dorius
10: Jakub Karwowski
11: Mathew Wickizer
12: Rollie Worster (Red Shirt)
13: Szymon Zapala (Red Shirt)
14: Max Shulga (Red Shirt)
Spot on with your starting 5! However, Miller should be at 11, just above the redsirts and it sounds like Zapala might be too good not to play this year.



slcagg
Posts: 4071
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 363 times
Been thanked: 474 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by slcagg » May 25th, 2020, 6:36 am

VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:08 am
My current depth chart goes as follows...
Starting 5:
PG: Marco Anthony
SG: Sean Bairstow
SF: Alphonso Anderson
PF: Justin Bean
C: Neemias Queta

Bench:
6: Liam McChesney
7: Brock Miller
8: Steven Ashworth
9: Trevin Dorius
10: Jakub Karwowski
11: Mathew Wickizer
12: Rollie Worster (Red Shirt)
13: Szymon Zapala (Red Shirt)
14: Max Shulga (Red Shirt)
I do like your top 5 especially if bean can develop his 3 further (to space the floor). Only concern is can Anderson guard 3s full time. Him playing the 3 vs SDSU had a huge impact on that game. With that said I could see him getting more time there and splitting time at the 4 and Brock starting. Many forget but Brock played a lot better the last 6 games and played more within the offense and shot much better because of it.

Of the scholarship players I think ashworth is our most likely redshirt.



elcheque2
Posts: 465
Joined: September 21st, 2013, 12:52 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 30 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by elcheque2 » May 25th, 2020, 7:13 am

1. Ashworth(20), Bairstow(15), Anthony(5)
2. Anthony(30), Bairstow(10)
3. Miller(20), Anderson(10), Mcchesney(10)
4. Bean(25), Anderson(15)
5. Queta(25), Karwowski(15)


Before you mock me for putting Ashworth in the starting line up, recall that Smith started Ainge for half a season when Ainge had no business even sniffing the floor. The difference between Ainge and Ashworth is pretty stark though. If Ashworth ends up redshirting then swap him out for Shulga.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk




Aggie19
Posts: 559
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 352 times
Been thanked: 264 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Aggie19 » May 25th, 2020, 7:16 am

slcagg wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:36 am
VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:08 am
My current depth chart goes as follows...
Starting 5:
PG: Marco Anthony
SG: Sean Bairstow
SF: Alphonso Anderson
PF: Justin Bean
C: Neemias Queta

Bench:
6: Liam McChesney
7: Brock Miller
8: Steven Ashworth
9: Trevin Dorius
10: Jakub Karwowski
11: Mathew Wickizer
12: Rollie Worster (Red Shirt)
13: Szymon Zapala (Red Shirt)
14: Max Shulga (Red Shirt)
I do like your top 5 especially if bean can develop his 3 further (to space the floor). Only concern is can Anderson guard 3s full time. Him playing the 3 vs SDSU had a huge impact on that game. With that said I could see him getting more time there and splitting time at the 4 and Brock starting. Many forget but Brock played a lot better the last 6 games and played more within the offense and shot much better because of it.

Of the scholarship players I think ashworth is our most likely redshirt.
He didn't though. Take the last 6 games and separate them from the other games and his shooting percentage actually went down, from 38% to 32%. I'll give you two and a half games of those 6 that he actually played better, @NM and SJSU and in the championship game, which he didn't shoot. To me, Brock has a lot of work to do before he should be a starter again. If rather see him coming off the bench until then.


Go Aggies!

User avatar
t_creer54
Posts: 29
Joined: May 15th, 2019, 9:36 am
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 14 times
Contact:

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by t_creer54 » May 25th, 2020, 9:26 am

1. Marco Anthony
2. Sean Bairstow (both him and Marco can run the point)
3. Brock Miller
4. Justin Bean
5. Nemi

6th men: Alphonso, Liam McChesney, Rollie Worster, Szymon Zapala, Max Shulga.

Fringe players (May not get minutes/redshirt): Trevin Dorius, Kuba, Matthew Wickizer, and Steven Ashworth (I think he redshirts this year coming off a mission)

I think Brock Miller is the day 1 starter because of his experience. I also think there’s a real chance he loses his spot to ‘Phonso or Liam. Liam can play 2, 3, and 4 so his versatility in different lineups is nice. If Szymon comes in and plays as good as he does, he’ll be the backup behind Nemi, need to develop him NOW! Rollie is a good ball player and will see minutes immediately, 22 has already mentioned the coaching staff are really excited for him. I have Max Shulga in the 6th man role because if he can continue to shoot well that would be tremendous off the bench. It may be a battle for that role with Steven Ashworth, and I bet whoever doesn’t get that role will redshirt. I hate to put Kuba and Dorius that low but that’s the only way I see it for the time being. It’s a contest between those 2 to see who the 3rd big man will be. Wickizer could see some minutes since we’re still a little depleted at the 4, he’ll have to work for it though!


Imma keep it simple, Go Aggies.

bpd
Posts: 1064
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by bpd » May 25th, 2020, 10:28 am

For the record, Alphonso did not play 1 second at the 3 last year. He only played the 4 and 5. I don't know if he plays the 3 this year. Also, for those saying Liam plays the 3, can he guard the 3? I'm going to guess no as they will out quick him. I don't know where Liam finds minutes with Bean and Alphonso ahead of him. Brock will start because of experience, he knows what he is doing, and he will have a better year because it can't be as bad as last year. We really need an experienced guard.



User avatar
Sl7vk
Posts: 745
Joined: November 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm
Location: Holladay Utah
Has thanked: 140 times
Been thanked: 260 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Sl7vk » May 25th, 2020, 10:36 am

Those of you who have Brock starting, are making me very sad.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
OrangeCountyAggie



OrangeCountyAggie
Posts: 135
Joined: December 17th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » May 25th, 2020, 10:50 am

Sl7vk wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 10:36 am
Those of you who have Brock starting, are making me very sad.
100% agree! It's no coincidence the team started playing much better down the stretch when the coaching staff FINALLY significantly reduced Miller's minutes.

Even if (a big if) Miller were to rediscover his shot in the offseason, it doesn't change the fact there are taller, more athletic, and overall more talented players to fill that position. I hope he figures it out and we can rely on him coming off the bench next year to knock down a few open shots in spot minutes.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5367
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 622 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 25th, 2020, 11:25 am

Craig Smith has won two conference championships starting Brock Miller. Those who think he all of a sudden won’t be starting next year are crazy.

There are obviously some things Miller clearly does and brings to the table that Coach Smith values that the average fan doesn’t see or know.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 5):
t_creer54flying_scotsman2.0Bank ShotReal Life Aggieaggieguy13



Aggie19
Posts: 559
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 352 times
Been thanked: 264 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Aggie19 » May 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 11:25 am
Craig Smith has won two conference championships starting Brock Miller. Those who think he all of a sudden won’t be starting next year are crazy.

There are obviously some things Miller clearly does and brings to the table that Coach Smith values that the average fan doesn’t see or know.
You're right, he probably will start and there are reasons I guess, we're not in practice so we don't see everything outside of the game itself. What we do have are the numbers and for the last 2 years. Miller has had the 2nd lowest FG% on the entire team, both years. A FG% well below the team average both years. He is middle of the road on 3 point shooting % and assists and at the bottom end for rebounds, steals and blocks. He is at the top in 3 point shooting attempts 😁. I haven't looked at advanced analytics, so maybe he's a shut down defender and his guy is a non factor because of Brock's defense. That's not what the basic numbers and the eye ball test say though. I get that he can get a hot hand, but it's way too rare that that happens. We need to replace a bunch of scorers from last year, there is potential that his misses could hurt a lot more this year as he tries to fill that need. There is a reason Coach Smith goes to work at a basketball court everyday and I don't, so I'll just keep hoping he gets hot, cheer like hell for him and try to not clench the sphincter so tight everytime he shoots.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 2):
Sl7vkWinkie


Go Aggies!

bullshot
Posts: 817
Joined: December 2nd, 2010, 3:22 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by bullshot » May 25th, 2020, 12:25 pm

+1



VegasBornAggie
Posts: 43
Joined: April 15th, 2020, 2:51 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by VegasBornAggie » May 25th, 2020, 1:01 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:36 am
VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:08 am
My current depth chart goes as follows...
Starting 5:
PG: Marco Anthony
SG: Sean Bairstow
SF: Alphonso Anderson
PF: Justin Bean
C: Neemias Queta

Bench:
6: Liam McChesney
7: Brock Miller
8: Steven Ashworth
9: Trevin Dorius
10: Jakub Karwowski
11: Mathew Wickizer
12: Rollie Worster (Red Shirt)
13: Szymon Zapala (Red Shirt)
14: Max Shulga (Red Shirt)
I do like your top 5 especially if bean can develop his 3 further (to space the floor). Only concern is can Anderson guard 3s full time. Him playing the 3 vs SDSU had a huge impact on that game. With that said I could see him getting more time there and splitting time at the 4 and Brock starting. Many forget but Brock played a lot better the last 6 games and played more within the offense and shot much better because of it.

Of the scholarship players I think ashworth is our most likely redshirt.
I completely agree with you. If Bean can develop his 3 and space the floor a bit more this lineup is looking very very good.
Although I honestly can’t see Brock Miller starting in the post Sam Merrill era. With his 3 point percentage and the number of shots he shot last season to me personally it’s just way too risky to start him. Even though he played better the last six games of the season from what I’ve seen from him he’s very very streaky and can go on very long droughts without a big game. I think he’s better as a super sub style player that can really come in and help the team when needed.
I think the starting role at the 3 is between Liam who would give the lineup some really good height and a good shot too and Anderson who we’ve seen what he can do at the 3 last season.
The few spots that were hard deciding on was if Ashworth were to Red Shirt this season and if Zapala were to Red Shirt this season.
These users thanked the author VegasBornAggie for the post:
aggies22



Yossarian
Posts: 3153
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Yossarian » May 25th, 2020, 1:08 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:01 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:36 am
VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:08 am
My current depth chart goes as follows...
Starting 5:
PG: Marco Anthony
SG: Sean Bairstow
SF: Alphonso Anderson
PF: Justin Bean
C: Neemias Queta

Bench:
6: Liam McChesney
7: Brock Miller
8: Steven Ashworth
9: Trevin Dorius
10: Jakub Karwowski
11: Mathew Wickizer
12: Rollie Worster (Red Shirt)
13: Szymon Zapala (Red Shirt)
14: Max Shulga (Red Shirt)
I do like your top 5 especially if bean can develop his 3 further (to space the floor). Only concern is can Anderson guard 3s full time. Him playing the 3 vs SDSU had a huge impact on that game. With that said I could see him getting more time there and splitting time at the 4 and Brock starting. Many forget but Brock played a lot better the last 6 games and played more within the offense and shot much better because of it.

Of the scholarship players I think ashworth is our most likely redshirt.
I completely agree with you. If Bean can develop his 3 and space the floor a bit more this lineup is looking very very good.
Although I honestly can’t see Brock Miller starting in the post Sam Merrill era. With his 3 point percentage and the number of shots he shot last season to me personally it’s just way too risky to start him. Even though he played better the last six games of the season from what I’ve seen from him he’s very very streaky and can go on very long droughts without a big game. I think he’s better as a super sub style player that can really come in and help the team when needed.
I think the starting role at the 3 is between Liam who would give the lineup some really good height and a good shot too and Anderson who we’ve seen what he can do at the 3 last season.
The few spots that were hard deciding on was if Ashworth were to Red Shirt this season and if Zapala were to Red Shirt this season.
Did Miller play better the last 6 games of the season? Or just less?

We haven't seen what Anderson can do at the three because he didn't play the three. He played the four and five positions.



Aggie19
Posts: 559
Joined: November 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am
Has thanked: 352 times
Been thanked: 264 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Aggie19 » May 25th, 2020, 1:13 pm

Yossarian wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:08 pm
VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:01 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:36 am
VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:08 am
My current depth chart goes as follows...
Starting 5:
PG: Marco Anthony
SG: Sean Bairstow
SF: Alphonso Anderson
PF: Justin Bean
C: Neemias Queta

Bench:
6: Liam McChesney
7: Brock Miller
8: Steven Ashworth
9: Trevin Dorius
10: Jakub Karwowski
11: Mathew Wickizer
12: Rollie Worster (Red Shirt)
13: Szymon Zapala (Red Shirt)
14: Max Shulga (Red Shirt)
I do like your top 5 especially if bean can develop his 3 further (to space the floor). Only concern is can Anderson guard 3s full time. Him playing the 3 vs SDSU had a huge impact on that game. With that said I could see him getting more time there and splitting time at the 4 and Brock starting. Many forget but Brock played a lot better the last 6 games and played more within the offense and shot much better because of it.

Of the scholarship players I think ashworth is our most likely redshirt.
I completely agree with you. If Bean can develop his 3 and space the floor a bit more this lineup is looking very very good.
Although I honestly can’t see Brock Miller starting in the post Sam Merrill era. With his 3 point percentage and the number of shots he shot last season to me personally it’s just way too risky to start him. Even though he played better the last six games of the season from what I’ve seen from him he’s very very streaky and can go on very long droughts without a big game. I think he’s better as a super sub style player that can really come in and help the team when needed.
I think the starting role at the 3 is between Liam who would give the lineup some really good height and a good shot too and Anderson who we’ve seen what he can do at the 3 last season.
The few spots that were hard deciding on was if Ashworth were to Red Shirt this season and if Zapala were to Red Shirt this season.
Did Miller play better the last 6 games of the season? Or just less?

We haven't seen what Anderson can do at the three because he didn't play the three. He played the four and five positions.
He did not play better. He had 2 games where he shot better, which feeds perfectly into his streaky, inconsistent M.O.. Three where he shot worse and the last game that he didn't shoot at all.
Last edited by Aggie19 on May 25th, 2020, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Go Aggies!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9217
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4265 times
Been thanked: 2438 times
Contact:

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by aggies22 » May 25th, 2020, 1:34 pm

I've heard Liam can guard the 3. I also think that Szymon will be too good to redshirt.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
OrangeCountyAggieReal Life Aggieslcagg



slcagg
Posts: 4071
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 363 times
Been thanked: 474 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by slcagg » May 25th, 2020, 2:15 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:34 pm
I've heard Liam can guard the 3. I also think that Szymon will be too good to redshirt.
I wonder if szymon could be the first big guy off the bench for either the 4 and 5 spot. Then play Anderson at the 4 and the 3 along with Liam. Brock can play some 3 and 2.



Yossarian
Posts: 3153
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Yossarian » May 25th, 2020, 2:18 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:34 pm
I've heard Liam can guard the 3. I also think that Szymon will be too good to redshirt.
Schools like USU don't have the luxury or depth to redshirt 4-star recruits.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22



I am an Aggie Man
Posts: 19
Joined: May 18th, 2020, 10:28 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by I am an Aggie Man » May 25th, 2020, 2:21 pm

VegasBornAggie wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:08 am
My current depth chart goes as follows...
Starting 5:
PG: Marco Anthony
SG: Sean Bairstow
SF: Alphonso Anderson
PF: Justin Bean
C: Neemias Queta

Bench:
6: Liam McChesney
7: Brock Miller
8: Steven Ashworth
9: Trevin Dorius
10: Jakub Karwowski
11: Mathew Wickizer
12: Rollie Worster (Red Shirt)
13: Szymon Zapala (Red Shirt)
14: Max Shulga (Red Shirt)
Out of Ashworth, Worster and Shulga, I think only one will redshirt. If two of them sit that leaves Smith with just three guards on his active roster, unless you include Miller which I don't. Even last year when Smith had Porter/Brito/Merrill, a really solid primary rotation, he still had Bairstow for depth even though Bairstow was about as raw as any of this year's freshman guards. And I think Ashworth is more likely to redshirt unless he's really developed his body from his 155 lbs high school days.



I am an Aggie Man
Posts: 19
Joined: May 18th, 2020, 10:28 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by I am an Aggie Man » May 25th, 2020, 2:37 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:15 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:34 pm
I've heard Liam can guard the 3. I also think that Szymon will be too good to redshirt.
I wonder if szymon could be the first big guy off the bench for either the 4 and 5 spot. Then play Anderson at the 4 and the 3 along with Liam. Brock can play some 3 and 2.
Szymon will never play the 4. He's a slow-footed, bulky center who will make his career in the paint. He can't guard the 4 and I have my doubts that he can actually stretch the floor. If he does play, he'll the backup minutes that last year Smith split between the Bean/Anderson frontcourt and either Dorius or Kuba.

I am curious though about Zapala being "too good to sit." My initial feeling was to stash him so he could take over for Queta in the very likely case he leaves for the draft after this year. But if he's a better option than Dorius/Kuba (which isn't a very high bar to get over) then giving him a year of backup minutes is probably better than just sitting him as it would set him up better for replacing Queta and carving out his own legacy.



ususports
Posts: 1374
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 332 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by ususports » May 25th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 12:01 pm
That's not what the basic numbers and the eye ball test say though.
I recommend closing your eyes when you are evaluating Miller. He ranks a lot higher if you don’t actually see things that would dock his score of the eyeball test.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 4):
Aggie19OrangeCountyAggieSl7vkBleedAggieBlue0



Bank Shot
Posts: 414
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Bank Shot » May 25th, 2020, 4:23 pm

I knew when I first saw the original post, (and it's a good topic), that there should be a drum roll to initiate the hate on Miller. Maybe we've seen what Miller is and will be, but why not cut him some slack and see if this year comes together for him?
As far as Miller starting opening night....book it...but perhaps the leash will be shorter.

It does appear that there will a more intense competition for minutes than Smith's first two years.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
t_creer54



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 5988
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by 2004AG » May 25th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:Craig Smith has won two conference championships starting Brock Miller. Those who think he all of a sudden won’t be starting next year are crazy.

There are obviously some things Miller clearly does and brings to the table that Coach Smith values that the average fan doesn’t see or know.
Oh he will start. It’s just a massive mistake that he hasn’t been recruited over and relegated to 12th man.

He’s won two conference championships in spite of Miller, not because of Miller.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post (total 2):
utaggiesSl7vk



mcaggie1
Posts: 2617
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by mcaggie1 » May 25th, 2020, 4:48 pm

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:37 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:15 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:34 pm
I've heard Liam can guard the 3. I also think that Szymon will be too good to redshirt.
I wonder if szymon could be the first big guy off the bench for either the 4 and 5 spot. Then play Anderson at the 4 and the 3 along with Liam. Brock can play some 3 and 2.
Szymon will never play the 4. He's a slow-footed, bulky center who will make his career in the paint. He can't guard the 4 and I have my doubts that he can actually stretch the floor. If he does play, he'll the backup minutes that last year Smith split between the Bean/Anderson frontcourt and either Dorius or Kuba.

I am curious though about Zapala being "too good to sit." My initial feeling was to stash him so he could take over for Queta in the very likely case he leaves for the draft after this year. But if he's a better option than Dorius/Kuba (which isn't a very high bar to get over) then giving him a year of backup minutes is probably better than just sitting him as it would set him up better for replacing Queta and carving out his own legacy.
Slow footed and bulky who can’t guard the 4: is a strange way to describe a 4* player that some say is one of the highest rated players to come to USU.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggieaggies22



utaggies
Posts: 4229
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 127 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by utaggies » May 25th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 11:25 am
Craig Smith has won two conference championships starting Brock Miller. Those who think he all of a sudden won’t be starting next year are crazy.

There are obviously some things Miller clearly does and brings to the table that Coach Smith values that the average fan doesn’t see or know.
And Phil Jackson won 3 NBA championships starting Bill Cartwright.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9217
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4265 times
Been thanked: 2438 times
Contact:

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by aggies22 » May 25th, 2020, 5:40 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 4:48 pm
I am an Aggie Man wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:37 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:15 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:34 pm
I've heard Liam can guard the 3. I also think that Szymon will be too good to redshirt.
I wonder if szymon could be the first big guy off the bench for either the 4 and 5 spot. Then play Anderson at the 4 and the 3 along with Liam. Brock can play some 3 and 2.
Szymon will never play the 4. He's a slow-footed, bulky center who will make his career in the paint. He can't guard the 4 and I have my doubts that he can actually stretch the floor. If he does play, he'll the backup minutes that last year Smith split between the Bean/Anderson frontcourt and either Dorius or Kuba.

I am curious though about Zapala being "too good to sit." My initial feeling was to stash him so he could take over for Queta in the very likely case he leaves for the draft after this year. But if he's a better option than Dorius/Kuba (which isn't a very high bar to get over) then giving him a year of backup minutes is probably better than just sitting him as it would set him up better for replacing Queta and carving out his own legacy.
Slow footed and bulky who can’t guard the 4: is a strange way to describe a 4* player that some say is one of the highest rated players to come to USU.
I find the assessment strange to be honest. Trevin Dorius isn't even spoken about in that manner.



I am an Aggie Man
Posts: 19
Joined: May 18th, 2020, 10:28 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by I am an Aggie Man » May 25th, 2020, 6:05 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 4:48 pm
I am an Aggie Man wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:37 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:15 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:34 pm
I've heard Liam can guard the 3. I also think that Szymon will be too good to redshirt.
I wonder if szymon could be the first big guy off the bench for either the 4 and 5 spot. Then play Anderson at the 4 and the 3 along with Liam. Brock can play some 3 and 2.
Szymon will never play the 4. He's a slow-footed, bulky center who will make his career in the paint. He can't guard the 4 and I have my doubts that he can actually stretch the floor. If he does play, he'll the backup minutes that last year Smith split between the Bean/Anderson frontcourt and either Dorius or Kuba.

I am curious though about Zapala being "too good to sit." My initial feeling was to stash him so he could take over for Queta in the very likely case he leaves for the draft after this year. But if he's a better option than Dorius/Kuba (which isn't a very high bar to get over) then giving him a year of backup minutes is probably better than just sitting him as it would set him up better for replacing Queta and carving out his own legacy.
Slow footed and bulky who can’t guard the 4: is a strange way to describe a 4* player that some say is one of the highest rated players to come to USU.
I didn't convey my point very well in calling him slow-footed because for a center his level of quickness is fine but compare him to any other position and he's definitely slow as centers just tend to be. Queta is a fairly athletic center and even he couldn't pull off playing PF. I'm not trying to say Zapapa can't or won't be good, my point was that he's not going to play power forward, it's just too far out of who he is as a player.



slcagg
Posts: 4071
Joined: December 15th, 2010, 6:29 pm
Has thanked: 363 times
Been thanked: 474 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by slcagg » May 25th, 2020, 6:55 pm

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 6:05 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 4:48 pm
I am an Aggie Man wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:37 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:15 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:34 pm
I've heard Liam can guard the 3. I also think that Szymon will be too good to redshirt.
I wonder if szymon could be the first big guy off the bench for either the 4 and 5 spot. Then play Anderson at the 4 and the 3 along with Liam. Brock can play some 3 and 2.
Szymon will never play the 4. He's a slow-footed, bulky center who will make his career in the paint. He can't guard the 4 and I have my doubts that he can actually stretch the floor. If he does play, he'll the backup minutes that last year Smith split between the Bean/Anderson frontcourt and either Dorius or Kuba.

I am curious though about Zapala being "too good to sit." My initial feeling was to stash him so he could take over for Queta in the very likely case he leaves for the draft after this year. But if he's a better option than Dorius/Kuba (which isn't a very high bar to get over) then giving him a year of backup minutes is probably better than just sitting him as it would set him up better for replacing Queta and carving out his own legacy.
Slow footed and bulky who can’t guard the 4: is a strange way to describe a 4* player that some say is one of the highest rated players to come to USU.
I didn't convey my point very well in calling him slow-footed because for a center his level of quickness is fine but compare him to any other position and he's definitely slow as centers just tend to be. Queta is a fairly athletic center and even he couldn't pull off playing PF. I'm not trying to say Zapapa can't or won't be good, my point was that he's not going to play power forward, it's just too far out of who he is as a player.

Could be right. Either way that’s what makes this board fun is we all are entitled to our opinions and none of us are experts. Well most of us are not. Welcome to the board.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
I am an Aggie Managgies22



nvspuds
Posts: 777
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by nvspuds » May 25th, 2020, 7:43 pm

Here's some trivia for you. Without looking it up who is Nevada's highest returning scorer?



Madmartigan
Posts: 2700
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 128 times
Been thanked: 201 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Madmartigan » May 25th, 2020, 7:47 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 7:43 pm
Here's some trivia for you. Without looking it up who is Nevada's highest returning scorer?
Nick Fazekas. Wait no that can’t be right, Luke Babbitt!



Bank Shot
Posts: 414
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Bank Shot » May 25th, 2020, 7:48 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 7:43 pm
Here's some trivia for you. Without looking it up who is Nevada's highest returning scorer?
Alford



Yossarian
Posts: 3153
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Yossarian » May 25th, 2020, 8:01 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 7:43 pm
Here's some trivia for you. Without looking it up who is Nevada's highest returning scorer?
Meeks?



nvspuds
Posts: 777
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by nvspuds » May 25th, 2020, 8:02 pm

Bingo..



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 975
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1078 times
Been thanked: 439 times

Re: Depth chart predictions

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 25th, 2020, 10:06 pm

I am an Aggie Man wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:37 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 2:15 pm
aggies22 wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:34 pm
I've heard Liam can guard the 3. I also think that Szymon will be too good to redshirt.
I wonder if szymon could be the first big guy off the bench for either the 4 and 5 spot. Then play Anderson at the 4 and the 3 along with Liam. Brock can play some 3 and 2.
Szymon will never play the 4. He's a slow-footed, bulky center who will make his career in the paint. He can't guard the 4 and I have my doubts that he can actually stretch the floor. If he does play, he'll the backup minutes that last year Smith split between the Bean/Anderson frontcourt and either Dorius or Kuba.

I am curious though about Zapala being "too good to sit." My initial feeling was to stash him so he could take over for Queta in the very likely case he leaves for the draft after this year. But if he's a better option than Dorius/Kuba (which isn't a very high bar to get over) then giving him a year of backup minutes is probably better than just sitting him as it would set him up better for replacing Queta and carving out his own legacy.
Well, he's a highly-rated recruit, so he's probably pretty good. And 22 has indicated that Szymon could play at the 4. So... I guess it's 22's word versus a week old account with 5 posts.

I'm sure Coach Smith has plans in place for Szymon to see time even if it isn't backing up Queta, simply because we have 4 Centers right now. I'm not saying a vast majority of the time will see both on the floor, but last year we had lineups where Anderson was our big on the court. Things get shaken up. If there were a highly skilled player with enough stretch to play outside Center so he and Queta could be on the floor at the same time, that's not something to scoff at. Just because it isn't the status quo, doesn't mean it isn't feasible.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0aggieguy13



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic