Recruiting

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Re: Recruiting

Post by SLB » May 8th, 2020, 4:12 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Another one bites the dust.

He is from Ohio. Would guess Dayton but go lobos.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
Real Life Aggie

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » May 8th, 2020, 4:34 pm

New Mexico never has any trouble getting “big names” and talent

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 8th, 2020, 5:16 pm

SLB wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 4:12 pm
slcagg wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Another one bites the dust.

He is from Ohio. Would guess Dayton but go lobos.
Nice add for them. I wish it were us. I read he will be applying for a waiver to play this season. Probably won’t be approved but who knows.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » May 9th, 2020, 9:09 am

SpectrumMagic wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 4:34 pm
New Mexico never has any trouble getting “big names” and talent
Let's be honest who wouldn't want to play for a team where the crowd shows up regardless of if you are good or not.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 9th, 2020, 11:46 am

Lets keep in mind that USU is a developmental program. If you look at the starters on this years excellent team they were not highly recruited in fact two were walk on's. The star power ranking given those players was not a reflection of that kind of player or squad they became. If memory serves only one Brock Miller was a 3 star coming out of high school.

The new kids we have recruited have a higher star power, but were not able to beat out any of those kids for a starting job, so they are by definition developmental players.

Keep in mind that Cache Valley is not for everyone, it is small somewhat isolated very white, very LDS. That is not a bad thing, but some people may find it a little unusual.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
aggies22

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 9th, 2020, 2:13 pm

It seems to me that you guys get a number of good players. I am not sure that you are at a major disadvantage in recruiting.

Some MW schools get good transfers but most don't get highly regarded high school players.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
Pacobag

SLB

Post by SLB » May 9th, 2020, 3:42 pm

SLB wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 2:42 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 2:34 pm
SLB wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 2:14 pm
Another name in the transfer portal

over 11 points per game and from the Big East
only 1.4 TOs per game
30+ minutes per game
I have no idea if we would have interest, but this kid has a pretty impressive resume. Started 24 of 34 games at Illinois as a Freshman. Consensus national top-50 recruit.
We will see.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 9th, 2020, 4:22 pm

nvspuds wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 2:13 pm
It seems to me that you guys get a number of good players. I am not sure that you are at a major disadvantage in recruiting.

Some MW schools get good transfers but most don't get highly regarded high school players.
We do get a bunch of good players most are kids that are coach able, and need to, and have desire to develop.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » May 9th, 2020, 6:12 pm

Lets remember that Marco Anthony came from Virginia, one of THE top basketball programs in the country, and he will be starting for us this year. Andthony has two to play two and was a 3-star recruit. Not exactly chopped liver. I'm looking for good things from him.
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 4):
USU78SLBaggies22Real Life Aggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » May 10th, 2020, 5:38 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 6:12 pm
Lets remember that Marco Anthony came from Virginia, one of THE top basketball programs in the country, and he will be starting for us this year. Andthony has two to play two and was a 3-star recruit. Not exactly chopped liver. I'm looking for good things from him.
We all hope for good things from Marco, but he was a player deep on their bench. Lets hope that playing in our conference he can step his game up a lot.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » May 10th, 2020, 7:58 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 5:38 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
We all hope for good things from Marco, but he was a player deep on their bench. Lets hope that playing in our conference he can step his game up a lot.
I have wondered how big the drop off was between him and the fringe NBA guys he was behind. If it was a huge drop off we may be in trouble. My guess is his lack of playing time was in part; drop off in talent, coaches preference based on system fit and perceived value of other prize recruits, Timing of being behind too many other good recruits and getting recruited over. I believe he was a late offer by Virginia (likely got the offer as best available after their first choice chose somewhere else) and I think we are all hoping he is a diamond in the rough that did a lot of developing in the Virginia system and simply was overlooked a little there because of all the other talent around him. I haven’t looked but I’m guessing most of Virginia’s recruits are 4 star or better. I believe Marco was 3 star, not that number of stars is everything.

I keep hearing how good he is going to be, and I hope he really is that good. I hope!

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 10th, 2020, 8:04 pm

nswaggie wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 7:58 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 5:38 pm
AggiesForever wrote:
I have wondered how big the drop off was between him and the fringe NBA guys he was behind. If it was a huge drop off we may be in trouble. My guess is his lack of playing time was in part; drop off in talent, coaches preference based on system fit and perceived value of other prize recruits, Timing of being behind too many other good recruits and getting recruited over. I believe he was a late offer by Virginia (likely got the offer as best available after their first choice chose somewhere else) and I think we are all hoping he is a diamond in the rough that did a lot of developing in the Virginia system and simply was overlooked a little there because of all the other talent around him. I haven’t looked but I’m guessing most of Virginia’s recruits are 4 star or better. I believe Marco was 3 star, not that number of stars is everything.

I keep hearing how good he is going to be, and I hope he really is that good. I hope!
I’m confident he will average 12+ pts next year. Let’s just say there is a reason that scotty g asks in all his interviews with Justin bean, neemy etc about Marco. Scotty gets plenty of inside info that he isn’t taking a stab in the dark on that question.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie

GUS

Post by GUS » May 10th, 2020, 9:18 pm

Virginia is definitely not a developmental program unlike USU. He must have some talent to have gone there. He's had a year to develop under Smith's watch. I expect something good from him, but don't expect a Jaycee Carroll or Sam Merrill immediately. We still need a good experience guard to be compete for a third tournament championship. The coaches are working on it. They are being picky. I trust their expertise. I only wish the recruiting restrictions were changed it is slowing the process down.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
slcagg

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 11th, 2020, 8:38 am

AggiesForever wrote:
This feels like a bit of a straw man argument. Everybody here is extremely hyped about Marco and expecting him to step into Merrill's role (obviously not to the full extent). There's a lot of hope for him though.

The position everybody is talking about isn't to try to fulfill what Marco is supposed to be. It's replacing Abel's role and hopefully even playing it to a higher level. I think we all hope for a back court that doesn't make us all freak out when an athletic team presses USU.

Right now the depth chart looks something like this. I think we can all agree that an experienced and athletic guard is a dynamic this team needs to add.

G) Sean Bairstow, Steven Ashworth
G) Marco Anthony, Rollie Worster
G/F) Brock Miller, Alphonso Anderson
F) Justin Bean, Liam McChesney
C) Neemias Queta, Kuba Karwowski, Trevin Dorius, Nigel John
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
aggies22

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » May 11th, 2020, 9:03 am

Anderson played all over the court last year, throughout the various stages of team dynamics with injuries and Queta's return. Often, he was playing the 4 or even being the main guy in the paint when we played small ball. But ideally, if I recall, he wants to play the 3. Do we see him being a little more fixed into that role this year? Or do we think the fluidity will be maintained where he doesn't have a significant amount of minutes in the 3, but is pretty well spread across other positions?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 11th, 2020, 9:21 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 8:38 am
With you on this, but I would swap Liam and Fonz. That's a minor detail though.

It's hard to rely on a Freshman so I understand why we're looking for an experience guard who can play right away, but I like our Freshmen. If we don't get a grad transfer, I won't be terribly upset. I hope we aren't so focused on a player who can help right away that we're passing on very good players who could help after sitting for a year.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyaggies22

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » May 11th, 2020, 9:33 am

brownjeans wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 9:21 am
Roy McAvoy wrote:

It's hard to rely on a Freshman so I understand why we're looking for an experience guard who can play right away, but I like our Freshmen. If we don't get a grad transfer, I won't be terribly upset. I hope we aren't so focused on a player who can help right away that we're passing on very good players who could help after sitting for a year.
I see your point, but IMO this is likely our last year with Quetta. I would be trying to go all in on next year. When Quetta leaves opportunities for a unprecedented season will diminish. That being said if we do indeed have two scholarships to give I would hope they would be looking at both sit out and play right away transfers.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 11th, 2020, 9:54 am

nswaggie wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 9:33 am
brownjeans wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I see your point, but IMO this is likely our last year with Quetta. I would be trying to go all in on next year. When Quetta leaves opportunities for a unprecedented season will diminish. That being said if we do indeed have two scholarships to give I would hope they would be looking at both sit out and play right away transfers.
If we get a transfer who can play immediately but that player can't play more than 15 minutes per game (because he's not better than our other players), I'd rather those minutes go to a Freshman.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » May 11th, 2020, 10:47 am

brownjeans wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 9:54 am
nswaggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

If we get a transfer who can play immediately but that player can't play more than 15 minutes per game (because he's not better than our other players), I'd rather those minutes go to a Freshman.
Agreed. If we take a risk on a guy and he turns out to be so so give the minutes to the freshmen. I think with the current recruiting restrictions it is gonna be more difficult to evaluate guys and there will be more misses all around. All the more reason to take the risk on a guy that will only be around for 1 year.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 11th, 2020, 11:35 am

nswaggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

We do indeed have two scholarships to give. Players with all eligibility types (grad transfer, sit-a-year, JuCo and freshmen) are all still actively being looked at as options to add next years squad.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
brownjeansIdaAg93

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 11th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Boise has been successful in adding kids mid-year by saving a scholarship or two. Signed some pretty high ranked kids due to this.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » May 11th, 2020, 12:52 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 11:35 am
nswaggie wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

We do indeed have two scholarships to give. Players with all eligibility types (grad transfer, sit-a-year, JuCo and freshmen) are all still actively being looked at as options to add next years squad.
Thanks for confirming, hopefully we get some news soon.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » May 11th, 2020, 2:47 pm

There are plenty of examples of success stories about those who signed late in the process but no program wants to bet on that as the default. Hopefully we land a great guard soon.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » May 11th, 2020, 3:01 pm

It seems crazy to me with the situation we’ve got that we seem to struggling to close the deal. We have an embarrassment of riches coming back in the front court, and playing time galore to offer in the back court.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » May 11th, 2020, 5:09 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 3:01 pm
It seems crazy to me with the situation we’ve got that we seem to struggling to close the deal. We have an embarrassment of riches coming back in the front court, and playing time galore to offer in the back court.
Doesn’t seem that long ago we were complaining about signing another combo guard. :bangwall:

SLB

Post by SLB » May 11th, 2020, 5:46 pm

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 11th, 2020, 5:59 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 3:01 pm
I think an issue that we are having is the grad transfers are leaving their respective schools and dreaming of P5 stardom. No one dreams of coming to Utah State to finish their career as a role player on a team that is built to win now.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
oleblu111

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » May 11th, 2020, 7:07 pm

I don't think it is that cut and dried. There are guys every year who drop down from a power conference to get a chance to play more. Reyes came to Nevada from Boston College. He was not a star but a nice piece of the puzzle and an excellent mentor for the young guys.

You aren't going to get someone to give you even close to what you got from Merril but you can still get a guy who can help.

GUS

Post by GUS » May 11th, 2020, 8:32 pm

If USU can bring some guys in after Friday, that will be helpful. That may bring a signing within the next two weeks.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post (total 2):
aggies22slcagg

slcagg

Post by slcagg » May 11th, 2020, 8:45 pm

GUS wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 8:32 pm
If USU can bring some guys in after Friday, that will be helpful. That may bring a signing within the next two weeks.
Visits might start being possible?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 11th, 2020, 10:06 pm

slcagg wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 8:45 pm
GUS wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 8:32 pm
Visits might start being possible?
This is going to be a HUGE help in football and hoops!

bpd

Post by bpd » May 11th, 2020, 11:16 pm

Visits still can’t happen according to the NCAA. The above message is for junior colleges.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post:
slcagg

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 12th, 2020, 6:30 am

bpd wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 11:16 pm
Visits still can’t happen according to the NCAA. The above message is for junior colleges.
Doh!!! I read that message word for word and completely overlooked the "J" in NJCCA everytime! Thanks for pointing that out my Aggie brother!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
SLB

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 12th, 2020, 10:55 am

Why would it be ok for jucos and not the upper divisions?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » May 12th, 2020, 11:17 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 10:55 am
Why would it be ok for jucos and not the upper divisions?
Because Jucos are so under the radar they aren’t subject to the lynch mob and thus have no need for virtue signaling.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 4):
sam tingey2004AGaggies22hipsterdoofus21

Locked Previous topicNext topic