Projecting Colombi Against Former USU QBs

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
YoungBloodAggie

Projecting Colombi Against Former USU QBs

Post by YoungBloodAggie » May 11th, 2020, 11:48 am

I know it is hard for many of us right now to think about football (or conversely, perhaps easier as a way to get our minds off of the current situation), but I just wanted to share a few thoughts about Henry Colombi and where I think he will end up in the conversation of all-time USU QBs.

Henry is the highest rated recruit we've ever pulled at QB. On top of that, he was injured for a part of his senior year and was likely skipped over for a re-evaluation that would have rated him higher. If he'd been healthy, we may not have been able to keep his commitment as schools in the area may have come hard after him.

Everything we've seen thus far from Colombi indicates that he is a QB with a good head on his shoulders and dangerous in both the passing and running games. He is a coach's son, has played with high profile athletes since at least high school, and has all the physical tools to succeed.

As I rank USU QB's throughout history, my list takes this order:

1. Jordan Love
2. Chuckie Keeton
3. Eric Hipple
4. Tony Adams
5. Anthony Calvillo
6. Diondre Borel
7. Bill Munson
8. Jose Fuentes
9. Brent Snyder
10. Matt Sauk

I think Colombi could likely be our third best QB of all time. He will have two years to leave an impression, and I think if he hits any two of the following six marks, it will be hard to not put him in the same conversation with Chuckie and Love:

1. Beat BYU twice
2. Beat Wazzu twice
3. Set a single-season record for either passing yards or passing TDs (career records are likely not on the table for him)
4. Win ten games in a season
5. MWC First Team selection
6. Get drafted in the first three rounds of the 2022 Draft

If he hits four or five of those marks, we might be talking about Colombi as the best QB to ever play at Utah State.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 2):
thegreendalegelfflying_scotsman2.0

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

thegreendalegelf

Re: Projecting Colombi Against Former USU QBs

Post by thegreendalegelf » May 11th, 2020, 12:10 pm

I think this ties into #4 but I would add "Make a NY6 bowl" and "Win MW Title" which I would say are pretty good factors in who had the most success here at USU.

Great list though.
These users thanked the author thegreendalegelf for the post:
flying_scotsman2.0

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » May 11th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Upon further review, I don't know how I can realistically leave Kent Myers off this list while Matt Sauk, Brent Snyder and Jose Fuentes occupy spots 8-10. Despite what we remember of Myers, his career was certainly good enough to merit a top ten spot.

Also, if you reverse the chronological order of his career it is a very good story.
These users thanked the author YoungBloodAggie for the post (total 4):
flying_scotsman2.0918AGGsstrasserdonlarson8

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

gomretat

Post by gomretat » May 11th, 2020, 2:42 pm

If he is anywhere close to Tony Adams that would be amazing. Touchdown Tony was the real deal. I guess the other thing is that IMO Hipple and Adams both belong above Chuckie in your rankings.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post (total 4):
sstrasserUSU78aggies22Machismo

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » May 11th, 2020, 3:03 pm

This is a very timely Eric Hipple reference.

I just watched 'Mr. Mom' (Michael Keaton, 1983) over the weekend, and an Eric Hipple poster is prominently displayed on the son's wall at some point in the film. I'm guessing that this is the only sports reference to an Aggie football player in a major motion picture. Can anyone else think of another one?

I'm ignoring everything that Merlin Olsen has been in here, unless he was ever referred to as "Merlin Olsen" and not his character's name.
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » May 11th, 2020, 3:49 pm

gomretat wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 2:42 pm
If he is anywhere close to Tony Adams that would be amazing. Touchdown Tony was the real deal. I guess the other thing is that IMO Hipple and Adams both belong above Chuckie in your rankings.
Not to mention, Munson, a fifteen year NFL Guy.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 11th, 2020, 4:02 pm

It might be blasphemous to say, but Chuckie doesn't deserve the #2 spot on the list. It's cool and all that he was the QB at the beginning of the resurgence of our football program BUT in all honesty, he didn't really get a whole helluva lot done. Other than Utah, it was close but no cigar the rest of the time.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » May 11th, 2020, 4:27 pm

aggies22 wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 4:02 pm
It might be blasphemous to say, but Chuckie doesn't deserve the #2 spot on the list. It's cool and all that he was the QB at the beginning of the resurgence of our football program BUT in all honesty, he didn't really get a whole helluva lot done. Other than Utah, it was close but no cigar the rest of the time.
Not sure I agree, I might, I haven't thought about it a ton (the didn't get a lot done part). Chuckie was really good, but we did have a really good record in games he missed due to injury.

He definitely shouldn't be 2 on the list. I would swap him with Calvillo on that list.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » May 11th, 2020, 4:41 pm

YoungBloodAggie started a good bit of my eflection on AGGIE Q B's. I would rate Bill Munson higher as he generally played in the defensive backfield until his breakout Senior season. I also didn't see the name of John Pappas when he stepped in to play Q B for a very injured Ron Edwards during the extremely disappointing 1966 season.

AggieArmy

Post by AggieArmy » May 11th, 2020, 6:23 pm

918AGG wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 3:03 pm

I just watched 'Mr. Mom' (Michael Keaton, 1983) over the weekend, and an Eric Hipple poster is prominently displayed on the son's wall at some point in the film. I'm guessing that this is the only sports reference to an Aggie football player in a major motion picture. Can anyone else think of another one?

I'm ignoring everything that Merlin Olsen has been in here, unless he was ever referred to as "Merlin Olsen" and not his character's name.
Didn't Ron Burgundy mention Merlin

gomretat

Post by gomretat » May 11th, 2020, 7:00 pm

aggies22 wrote:
Completely agree. We have had some big gaps in good quarterback play but also had some top notch QB's who belong above CK.

GUS

Post by GUS » May 11th, 2020, 8:26 pm

gomretat wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 7:00 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Completely agree. We have had some big gaps in good quarterback play but also had some top notch QB's who belong above CK.
I agree about CK and I also think that Borel is too high. The list discounts some of the QB's from the 60's and 70's. There were some good ones back then. The list doesn't even mention Bradshaw who played professionally for a few years.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » May 12th, 2020, 9:29 am

AggieArmy wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 6:23 pm
918AGG wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Didn't Ron Burgundy mention Merlin
I'll be damned! Nice catch!
These users thanked the author 918AGG for the post (total 2):
AggieArmyaggies22

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

Locked Previous topicNext topic