Love at pick 26 wasn't a reach, using probabilities

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Love at pick 26 wasn't a reach, using probabilities

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 25th, 2020, 11:42 am

These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
aggies22

Blitz79

Re: Love at pick 26 wasn't a reach, using probabilities

Post by Blitz79 » April 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Nobody is saying the pick was a reach. The question there is why Love when you have Rodgers under contract for 4 more years.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
2004AG

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 25th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 12:35 pm
Nobody is saying the pick was a reach. The question there is why Love when you have Rodgers under contract for 4 more years.
It's risky for them to grab Love now, but in their eyes if they can get a QB for the next 10-15 years again now then it's better than the alternative. With Rodgers they likely won't pick very high for the foreseeable future, Love could be the best qb they have a shot at.

Also if Rodgers gets hurt 2-3 years in, they should now have a more than competent backup to keep them in the playoff hunt
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
sneed

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » April 26th, 2020, 12:05 am

Blitz79 wrote:Nobody is saying the pick was a reach. The question there is why Love when you have Rodgers under contract for 4 more years.
All of the talk about how many interceptions he threw at a MWC school is about him not being a first round talent, not a bad fit for GB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 26th, 2020, 11:51 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Blitz79 wrote:Nobody is saying the pick was a reach. The question there is why Love when you have Rodgers under contract for 4 more years.
All of the talk about how many interceptions he threw at a MWC school is about him not being a first round talent, not a bad fit for GB.

Blitz79 is correct. The OVERWHELMING consensus is that they are pissing away the Super Bowl years remaining on Aaron Rodgers. They went to the NFC championship last year and instead of picking a player that gets them closer to the Niners and Saints, they picked Love.

Their second round pick was just pouring salt in the wound when they already have Aaron Jones.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 26th, 2020, 12:36 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 11:51 am
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Blitz79 is correct. The OVERWHELMING consensus is that they are pissing away the Super Bowl years remaining on Aaron Rodgers. They went to the NFC championship last year and instead of picking a player that gets them closer to the Niners and Saints, they picked Love.

Their second round pick was just pouring salt in the wound when they already have Aaron Jones.

A little more salt, in the deepest wide receiver class in forever, they didn't draft a single one.

Go Aggies!

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » April 26th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Aggie19 wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 12:36 pm
2004AG wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

A little more salt, in the deepest wide receiver class in forever, they didn't draft a single one.
A little different take. I'm cool with the Packers draft. Their biggest hole was backup QB. Just go back to the 2017 nosedive when Roger's broke his collarbone. GB hasn't had serviceable backup, well, since Rodgers.

GB is transitioning to a more run oriented offense under Lafleur. While Jones has had some success, he's not the most durable. Dillon brings some punch that Jones will never have. Jones is also in a contract year.

Deguara fills a need. Lafleur's offense requires an H-back. GB didn't have one that fit. After listening to Gute and Lafleur post draft, I think they are excited about Deguara as much as anyone.

Gute said that after the WRs taken in the top half of Rd 1, they didn't see anyone who could beat out what they had. Keep in mind St Brown missed the entire season and MVS was hampered the last half of the season. Adams needs help, maybe a healthy WR corps is the answer.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 26th, 2020, 3:11 pm

AngusAg wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 2:23 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

A little different take. I'm cool with the Packers draft. Their biggest hole was backup QB. Just go back to the 2017 nosedive when Roger's broke his collarbone. GB hasn't had serviceable backup, well, since Rodgers.

GB is transitioning to a more run oriented offense under Lafleur. While Jones has had some success, he's not the most durable. Dillon brings some punch that Jones will never have. Jones is also in a contract year.

Deguara fills a need. Lafleur's offense requires an H-back. GB didn't have one that fit. After listening to Gute and Lafleur post draft, I think they are excited about Deguara as much as anyone.

Gute said that after the WRs taken in the top half of Rd 1, they didn't see anyone who could beat out what they had. Keep in mind St Brown missed the entire season and MVS was hampered the last half of the season. Adams needs help, maybe a healthy WR corps is the answer.
:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

Well, by that rationale, every team in the NFL's most pressing need would be a backup QB. If Pat Mahmoes, Tom Brady, Garrapolo, Kirk Cousins, go down, their teams are all screwed. If you care so much about a backup who won't really ever see the field, do what the Saints and Raiders did. Sign Jamis Winston and Marcus Mariota. Brown and MVS suck. Their biggest need was a GOOD receiver. And fine, the draft was fine if they went out and signed some good free agents, but they didn't.

The Packers were a player or two away from returning to the NFC championship and maybe the Super Bowl. in 2020. They moved farther away, not closer to that goal. It was weird to throw in the towel and draft players that won't really even see the field.

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » April 26th, 2020, 3:20 pm

2004AG wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 3:11 pm
AngusAg wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

Well, by that rationale, every team in the NFL's most pressing need would be a backup QB. If Pat Mahmoes, Tom Brady, Garrapolo, Kirk Cousins, go down, their teams are all screwed. If you care so much about a backup who won't really ever see the field, do what the Saints and Raiders did. Sign Jamis Winston and Marcus Mariota. Brown and MVS suck. Their biggest need was a GOOD receiver. And fine, the draft was fine if they went out and signed some good free agents, but they didn't.

The Packers were a player or two away from returning to the NFC championship and maybe the Super Bowl. in 2020. They moved farther away, not closer to that goal. It was weird to throw in the towel and draft players that won't really even see the field.
Fair enough, my money's on Gute/Lafluer. Time will tell.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » April 26th, 2020, 9:19 pm

With all the discussion about what GREEN BAY had, needed and then didn't draft, I wonder if the PACKERS know something about their personnel that few outsiders would have access to.

There have been some pretty decent posts both up and down regarding the GREEN BAY first round draft, and it seems they made a move to trade up to draft Jordan.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 26th, 2020, 10:04 pm

2004AG wrote:
AngusAg wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

And they added Fuchess. BuT tHeY nEvEr DrAfTeD a 1sT rD rEcIeVeR.

1. Y’all act like Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb never happened. Rodgers has had weapons- and some of the best receivers in the league weren’t 1st round picks. Antonio Brown- Rd 6; Ty Hilton Rd 3; Emmanuel Sanders Rd3; Michael Thomas Rd2... and I don’t care who the receiver is, a top end QB id worth more. This ain’t fantasy football

2. It wasn’t receiving that kept the packers out of the Super Bowl, it was rushing and rush defense. You can’t give up 220 yards to one guy on the ground and then turn around and blame your own receivers for that loss. That’s stupid- and Packers fans deserve to lose if they’re going to pin that loss on receivers.

3. The majority of critics never saw Jordan Love play- nor did they see most of (if any) of the other receivers they wanted so badly play.

4. If the packers wanted to trade up in rd 2 for Mims (often cited for who they should have gotten in Rd 1, they could have). So what? Draft a guy in the 1st rd that no one else wanted until the mid/late 2nd rd?

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 27th, 2020, 11:02 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 10:04 pm
2004AG wrote:
AngusAg wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

1. Y’all act like Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb never happened. Rodgers has had weapons- and some of the best receivers in the league weren’t 1st round picks. Antonio Brown- Rd 6; Ty Hilton Rd 3; Emmanuel Sanders Rd3; Michael Thomas Rd2... and I don’t care who the receiver is, a top end QB id worth more. This ain’t fantasy football

2. It wasn’t receiving that kept the packers out of the Super Bowl, it was rushing and rush defense. You can’t give up 220 yards to one guy on the ground and then turn around and blame your own receivers for that loss. That’s stupid- and Packers fans deserve to lose if they’re going to pin that loss on receivers.

3. The majority of critics never saw Jordan Love play- nor did they see most of (if any) of the other receivers they wanted so badly play.

4. If the packers wanted to trade up in rd 2 for Mims (often cited for who they should have gotten in Rd 1, they could have). So what? Draft a guy in the 1st rd that no one else wanted until the mid/late 2nd rd?
The Packers made a huge jump last year from no playoffs to being within one win of the Superbowl. The common fan (mostly packers fans) seems to think that the lack of another top tier receiver is what kept them out of the big game. What they all seem to forgotten is that the shift to a running game emphasis is the only reason they had so many wins in the first place. I think the Coach and GM want to shift that direction, so they weren't as high on the WR group in the draft this year as everyone else. They couldn't pass up on Love because they trust that he is a top 10 talent. If Rodgers and the Pack stay competitive over the next 3 years, they will not have have a high enough draft pick to select a top 10 telent at QB anytime soon.
These users thanked the author AggiePT for the post:
AggieFBObsession

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » April 27th, 2020, 12:26 pm

AggiePT wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 11:02 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AngusAg wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

The Packers made a huge jump last year from no playoffs to being within one win of the Superbowl. The common fan (mostly packers fans) seems to think that the lack of another top tier receiver is what kept them out of the big game. What they all seem to forgotten is that the shift to a running game emphasis is the only reason they had so many wins in the first place. I think the Coach and GM want to shift that direction, so they weren't as high on the WR group in the draft this year as everyone else. They couldn't pass up on Love because they trust that he is a top 10 talent. If Rodgers and the Pack stay competitive over the next 3 years, they will not have have a high enough draft pick to select a top 10 telent at QB anytime soon.
AMEN my PT/Aggie brother!

Where only sage brush grows

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 27th, 2020, 2:29 pm

AggiePT wrote:
April 27th, 2020, 11:02 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
2004AG wrote:
AngusAg wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

With Rodgers as your QB, the goal shouldn't just be competitive. It should be Super Bowl. They refused to draft anybody that moved them closer to that goal.

I think most Packer fans know the reason they lost to the Niners is because they let them run right over top of them. A middle linebacker like Patrick Queen or Kenneth Murray was just as much desired as a WR.

Few saw J. Love as a top 10 talent. Almost everybody saw him as a top 30 talent though. Drafting Love was about the future potential, which is a great strategy for most teams....just not an NFC championship team needing a couple difference makers to get over the hump.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 27th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Packer's fans are pissed because of how popular Rogers currently is in Green Bay (and perhaps because Love does not "look" like Aaron Rodgers). None of them really know anything about Love and how FREAKISHLY talented he really is. Bottom line, Love was a great pick for two reasons:

1. He has the talent (if developed properly) to take over for Rodgers in a few years.
2. He is a better backup QB than anything they (probably) could have gotten in the open market and from that standpoint, helps them in the short-term.

No doubt he will win people over when he starts dropping 70-yard dimes in preseason games (if they happen this year).
These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post (total 2):
AggiePTAggieFBObsession

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » April 27th, 2020, 5:47 pm

My favorite tweet:

These users thanked the author OrangeCountyAggie for the post:
AggiePT

SLB

Post by SLB » April 30th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Locked Previous topicNext topic