Jordan Love to Green Bay Packers with 26th pick

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie19

Re: Jordan Love to Green Bay Packers with 26th pick

Post by Aggie19 » April 24th, 2020, 6:45 am

USU78 wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 6:24 am
Aggie19 wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 9:44 pm
Sl7vk wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 9:41 pm
Perfect landing spot.
Love that GB traded up for him and Love that he gets to watch AR for a couple of years.
Packers tend to draft QBs very well.

I can only think of 2, Starr and Rodgers
You didn't like Favre?
I like Favre as much as a Bears fan can like a packer. 🙂 I think he's probably the best of the QB bunch, but wasn't drafted by the packers.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
USU78

Go Aggies!

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » April 24th, 2020, 6:53 am

Packer fans need to pump the brakes! there was no other WR with first round value left! There is however a ton of solid WR left in this draft and they can easily draft someone tonight who can make an impact right now. This was a simple case of building for the future and taking the best available player left on their board. After all that is what every single team does in the first round.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 24th, 2020, 6:59 am

USU78 wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 6:24 am
Aggie19 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Perfect landing spot.
Love that GB traded up for him and Love that he gets to watch AR for a couple of years.

You didn't like Favre?
Favre was drafted by the Falcons who traded him because he partied and got fat. Seriously. Probably was going to be a bust until Holmgren got his hands on him.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » April 24th, 2020, 7:01 am

mcaggie1 wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 10:41 pm
Aggie19 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Perfect landing spot.

Favre I think went to Atlanta, but was in Green Bay his second year. That’s pretty much all of his career in one place.
Yes, Favre was drafted by Atlanta and shipped out after his rookie season. Was partying, overweight and a bust at that point. Was blessed to be coached by Mike Holmgren at GB.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 24th, 2020, 7:02 am

jeffdan25 wrote:Packer fans need to pump the brakes! there was no other WR with first round value left! There is however a ton of solid WR left in this draft and they can easily draft someone tonight who can make an impact right now. This was a simple case of building for the future and taking the best available player left on their board. After all that is what every single team does in the first round.
When you have three years left or Rodgers, you aren’t building for the future, you’re trying to win now.

Tee Higgins, Denzel Mims and Shenault, all would have been good picks and all have pretty much been projected to go in the first round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 24th, 2020, 7:19 am

2004AG wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 7:02 am
jeffdan25 wrote:Packer fans need to pump the brakes! there was no other WR with first round value left! There is however a ton of solid WR left in this draft and they can easily draft someone tonight who can make an impact right now. This was a simple case of building for the future and taking the best available player left on their board. After all that is what every single team does in the first round.
When you have three years left or Rodgers, you aren’t building for the future, you’re trying to win now.

Tee Higgins, Denzel Mims and Shenault, all would have been good picks and all have pretty much been projected to go in the first round.

Shenault or the kid from Arkansas State would be good fits.

jeffdan25

Post by jeffdan25 » April 24th, 2020, 7:55 am

2004AG wrote:

And all three of those guys are still available! You have to take in to consideration the way the draft went. DB's came flying off they board some at a real reach in the first round there for pushing extremely good WR's to the 2nd and 3rd. The packers drafted the best player left on their board. Like it or not Rogers is 36 yes he is still slinging it now but will he be in 2 or 3 years? Like i've said there are some absolute ballers at the skill position left. They could very easily land one or two of those guys with their next two picks tonight.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 24th, 2020, 8:02 am

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » April 24th, 2020, 8:31 am

Aggie19 wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 11:14 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Perfect landing spot.

Favre I think went to Atlanta, but was in Green Bay his second year. That’s pretty much all of his career in one place.
I agree, pretty much his whole career. When I think about Favre, it's him as a packer. But that's not what he said, he said they tend to draft QBs very well and they don't.

I am happy for Jordan and I hope he does well. I hope that when he gets his shot, the packers do a better job of surrounding him with talent than what they've done for Rodgers. I'm a Bears fan and even I think it's a shame that someone as talented as Rodgers hasn't been given more talent around him. It shows how outstanding of a player he is. And with his closing window, they did it again, by drafting his replacement instead of more skill positions. Just saw on ESPN that the last skill position player drafted in the first round by Green Bay was Rodgers himself. That's horrible and probably cost the team more chances at championships throughout his career.

So who are the bad QB picks they've made?

abattoirag

Post by abattoirag » April 24th, 2020, 9:20 am

Aggie19 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Perfect landing spot.

The Packers did draft Mark Brunell, Aaron Brooks, and Matt Hasselbeck. They backed up Favre in his prime before they left. Are Brunell and Hasselbeck going to the Hall of Fame? No, but they were pretty good when given the chance to start elsewhere and made some Pro Bowls. Aaron Brooks was good for a few seasons when he was with the Saints. Going way back, Daryle Lamonica was drafted by the Packers in the NFL. Lamonica ended up choosing the Bills who selected him in the AFL Draft.Of course there was Don Majkowski who was the starter before Favre. The Majik man got hurt, Favre went in, and the rest was history. But before that, Majkowski started to bring the Packers back. The 70s and 80s were not great times for the Packers, and Majkowski was fun and prepared the way for Favre. Go back and watch highlights from the 1989 season. The Instant Replay game against the Bears is an all-time classic.

But, yes, there are many misses when it comes to quarterback selection by the Packers.
Last edited by abattoirag on April 24th, 2020, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author abattoirag for the post:
Aggie19

"The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them."
-Fyodor Dostoevsky

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 24th, 2020, 9:23 am

jeffdan25 wrote:
2004AG wrote:

And all three of those guys are still available! You have to take in to consideration the way the draft went. DB's came flying off they board some at a real reach in the first round there for pushing extremely good WR's to the 2nd and 3rd. The packers drafted the best player left on their board. Like it or not Rogers is 36 yes he is still slinging it now but will he be in 2 or 3 years? Like i've said there are some absolute ballers at the skill position left. They could very easily land one or two of those guys with their next two picks tonight.
If they were still available when the packers draft at the end of the 2nd round, sure, you would have a point.

They won’t be.

The Packers might as well dump Rodgers now because they aren’t winning anything the next couple years. The Niners and Saints already had better rosters before the draft and will be better next year with their draft picks. The Packers will be worse.

abattoirag

Post by abattoirag » April 24th, 2020, 9:25 am

Sl7vk wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 8:31 am
Aggie19 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Perfect landing spot.

I agree, pretty much his whole career. When I think about Favre, it's him as a packer. But that's not what he said, he said they tend to draft QBs very well and they don't.

I am happy for Jordan and I hope he does well. I hope that when he gets his shot, the packers do a better job of surrounding him with talent than what they've done for Rodgers. I'm a Bears fan and even I think it's a shame that someone as talented as Rodgers hasn't been given more talent around him. It shows how outstanding of a player he is. And with his closing window, they did it again, by drafting his replacement instead of more skill positions. Just saw on ESPN that the last skill position player drafted in the first round by Green Bay was Rodgers himself. That's horrible and probably cost the team more chances at championships throughout his career.

Brett Hundley, Brian Brohm, Jerry Tagge, Don Horn, Randy Duncan. All those were picks in the first few rounds. Yuck. The whole lot of those picks.
These users thanked the author abattoirag for the post:
Aggie19

"The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them."
-Fyodor Dostoevsky

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 24th, 2020, 9:28 am

Sl7vk wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Perfect landing spot.

Just the last 20 years:
Brett Hundley
BJ Coleman
Brian Brohm
Matt Flynn
Ingle Martin
Craig Nall

They had some starters drafted earlier than that with Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell. None of which are world beaters, serviceable and won some games absolutely.

Go Aggies!

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 24th, 2020, 9:43 am

abattoirag wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 9:25 am
Sl7vk wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Perfect landing spot.

Brett Hundley, Brian Brohm, Jerry Tagge, Don Horn, Randy Duncan. All those were picks in the first few rounds. Yuck. The whole lot of those picks.
I think there is a misconception that the packers are great at all things quarterback because they've had two hall of famers back to back running the show. That's almost unheard of and I'll admit makes me jealous as hell. The reality is, they are no different than any other team: some average, a lot of below average and misses, mixed with a few lightning strikes where it wins you a super bowl. Who knows maybe Jordan will make it 3 in a row.

Go Aggies!

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » April 24th, 2020, 10:05 am

Aggie19 wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 9:28 am
Sl7vk wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Perfect landing spot.

Just the last 20 years:
Brett Hundley
BJ Coleman
Brian Brohm
Matt Flynn
Ingle Martin
Craig Nall

They had some starters drafted earlier than that with Aaron Brooks, Matt Hasselbeck, Mark Brunell. None of which are world beaters, serviceable and won some games absolutely.
Not to pick on your Bears, but look at their picks the last 20 years.

Mitchell Trubisky
David Fales
Nathan Enderle
Dan LeFevour
Kyle Orton
Craig Krenzel
Rex Grossman
Cade McNown

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 24th, 2020, 10:07 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 10:08 pm
Here is the question...will Love be #10 on the Packers? It looks like Darrius Shepard, a WR is already #10 on the offense...
Packers announced that Jordan will keep his #10.

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » April 24th, 2020, 10:12 am

jeffdan25 wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 7:55 am
2004AG wrote:

The Pack still has 8 picks remaining. Their GM is known to trade a lot. I suspect they make some big moved tonight and snag a top remaining WR and OT. But that's the fun of the draft.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » April 24th, 2020, 10:15 am

Sl7vk wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 10:05 am
Aggie19 wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 9:28 am
Sl7vk wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Perfect landing spot.

Just the last 20 years:
Brett Hundley
BJ Coleman
Brian Brohm
Matt Flynn
Ingle Martin
Craig Nall

Not to pick on your Bears, but look at their picks the last 20 years.

Mitchell Trubisky
David Fales
Nathan Enderle
Dan LeFevour
Kyle Orton
Craig Krenzel
Rex Grossman
Cade McNown
Haha! My Aggie brother, I am well aware of the Bears ineptitude at solving the QB problem. In all honestly, it's probably what fuels my irritation when GB is propped up as a QB mecca. I've wished for a decent Bear's QBs for more Christmas' than I can remember.

To make an apples to apples comparison, the Bears have had some great linebackers, but they've missed on a whole lot too. My point is that GB is no better at drafting QBs, or any other position, than any other team.
Last edited by Aggie19 on April 24th, 2020, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post:
Sl7vk

Go Aggies!

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » April 24th, 2020, 10:16 am

Aggie19 wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Aggie19 wrote:
Sl7vk wrote:
Perfect landing spot.

I know what he said. Favre had little to no time to establish himself in his one year in Atlanta. So GB took a chance on a qb from a smaller program.( Southern Miss)....quite similar to a draft pick.

It would be interesting to see how good all of the NFL teams have fared in drafting qbs. It might be more similar than we think.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » April 24th, 2020, 10:21 am

Being that I don't like the Pats, I had an interesting thought. I wonder if they traded down thinking Jordan would fall to them. One of the annalists said someting like "The Patriots moved down because the guy they want, will still be there they think".....
So maybe they did to get Jordan and the Packers messed that up....I would love that :)
These users thanked the author kofdog for the post (total 2):
AggiePTSl7vk

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » April 24th, 2020, 11:53 am

All of those qb's that have been listed with the Packers "missing on" were all not first round guys. They were picked to be be back ups. In my view they only drafted 2 guys in the last 30+ years that they felt would be eventual starters, Rodgers and now Love. Of course all of the other guys didn't pan out, rarely does a guy drafted to be a back up turn into anything more than a back up and people provided the examples of guys who were and moved on to a decent career in Brunell, Hasselbeck and Brooks.

So the point of the post is it seems the Packers have a good track record in the last 30 years of picking QB's (going with the Favre logic that mcaggie1 used a few posts earlier) that they feel will be eventual starters for them...granted that's only 2 for 2 and lets hope that Love makes it 3 for 3.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Locked Previous topicNext topic