Update

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Update

Post by SLB » March 25th, 2020, 8:16 pm

These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
aggies22

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: Update

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 25th, 2020, 8:38 pm

I thought spring sports was already decided?
Doesn't sound like Sam or Brito would come back anyway.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 25th, 2020, 9:13 pm

Yeah I honestly don't think that ruling will have as great of impact even if it was put into action. Great players want to get paid and dont want to hang around after graduating. I'm sure some will stuck around, but most stars won't and our star already said he wont.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieaggies22

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » March 25th, 2020, 10:27 pm

Spring sports absolutely should get an extra year, no question. And while I’m sure most people on here will disagree with me on this, I don’t think winter sports should.. As unfair as it is we didn’t get March Madness, they had a full season and offering another year of eligibility would make it really messy.. I mean who’s going to be eligible for it? What about the teams who already completed their conference tourney and wasn’t going to be in the dance? Or teams with losing records who in all likelihood wouldn’t make it? Not to mention, what about record books? I know Sam wouldn’t come back, but if he did would that be fair to Jaycee Carroll’s record when he would pass him in scoring? Especially when his career would’ve probably only lasted one or two more games. And lastly, even if they did offer another year to seniors on teams who were projected to be in the field, it’s no guarantee that their team is going to make the tournament next year.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie19aggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 26th, 2020, 1:21 am

Isn't basketball a winter sport?

Eutaw St. Aggie

slcagg

Post by slcagg » March 26th, 2020, 5:47 am

SwaggieAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 10:27 pm
Spring sports absolutely should get an extra year, no question. And while I’m sure most people on here will disagree with me on this, I don’t think winter sports should.. As unfair as it is we didn’t get March Madness, they had a full season and offering another year of eligibility would make it really messy.. I mean who’s going to be eligible for it? What about the teams who already completed their conference tourney and wasn’t going to be in the dance? Or teams with losing records who in all likelihood wouldn’t make it? Not to mention, what about record books? I know Sam wouldn’t come back, but if he did would that be fair to Jaycee Carroll’s record when he would pass him in scoring? Especially when his career would’ve probably only lasted one or two more games. And lastly, even if they did offer another year to seniors on teams who were projected to be in the field, it’s no guarantee that their team is going to make the tournament next year.
What about the freshman, sophomores and juniors? Shouldn’t they have a year given back to them too? Because a lot of them will have to wait another year for playing time etc if you bring back the juniors. I’d say that sometimes life isn’t fair. Let the seniors move on with life.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » March 26th, 2020, 8:35 am

It makes no sense to give a year back to winter sports which means the NCAA will probably do so.
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
BustaMcNutt

SLB

Post by SLB » March 26th, 2020, 9:44 am

This was a general update that included basketball. We will find out in 4 days.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » March 26th, 2020, 10:26 am

slcagg wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 5:47 am
SwaggieAggie wrote:
March 25th, 2020, 10:27 pm
What about the freshman, sophomores and juniors? Shouldn’t they have a year given back to them too? Because a lot of them will have to wait another year for playing time etc if you bring back the juniors. I’d say that sometimes life isn’t fair. Let the seniors move on with life.
Life isn’t fair for a lot of people right now, beyond just sports. Just the unfortunate reality we’re in at the moment.
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
slcagg

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 26th, 2020, 10:34 am

Yup, they should be done. I would feel the same if Sam said he would come back too.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » March 26th, 2020, 10:42 am

I am not sure how this would work. They would have to allow expanded rosters. Nevada is currently sitting at 13. They had 4 seniors graduate. If any return, though unlikely, what happens?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 26th, 2020, 10:54 am

NVAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:34 am
Yup, they should be done. I would feel the same if Sam said he would come back too.
Yeah highly doubt it happens for basketball snd where would they draw the line? Only usu and sdsu was going to play in the postseason. Would the other 9 teams get extra eligibility? I can see if it happened in december, but the season was already over for many teams and the others only had a game or 2 left. It certainly sucks. I really believe we would have won a game or 2 in March. That is life. All of us posting on here had things we wanted to do over the next few months that we probably won't get to do now.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » March 26th, 2020, 11:13 am

Over half, 188 to be exact , of the teams were already officially out, when play stopped. Add to that there were 10 one bid leagues that were still at or barely past quarter finals in their tourneys. Sure, the Chicago Sts. were still alive, but no realistic chance of advancing.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 26th, 2020, 11:16 am

I'll also think it would be crazy to give the winter sports another year and I'm pretty sure it won't happen. There's just too many hoops logistically. (Pun intended)

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » March 26th, 2020, 11:23 am

Imagine this scenario: They don't grant seniors an extra year of eligibility but allow teams that got an auto berth this year to get an auto berth for next year. Or they only allow teams that get 20+ wins next year to receive that auto berth.

sstrasser

Post by sstrasser » March 26th, 2020, 12:37 pm

UStateTim wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 11:23 am
Imagine this scenario: They don't grant seniors an extra year of eligibility but allow teams that got an auto berth this year to get an auto berth for next year. Or they only allow teams that get 20+ wins next year to receive that auto berth.
:lol: :lol: that's a good one

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 26th, 2020, 2:13 pm

I don't know how you do this without increasing scholarship limits temporarily.

Aggiewest

Post by Aggiewest » March 26th, 2020, 3:39 pm

They would need to put asterisks by every player that got the extra year. Can you imagine all the school and national records that would be impacted by this one class got an additional year. Very stupid idea!

Let's say that Merrill decided to play and extra year. He would break USU's all-time scoring record and also the MWC all-time scoring record. Is that really fair to Jaycee or whoever that no name player is that is the current MWC leader.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 26th, 2020, 4:13 pm

Aggiewest wrote:They would need to put asterisks by every player that got the extra year. Can you imagine all the school and national records that would be impacted by this one class got an additional year. Very stupid idea!

Let's say that Merrill decided to play and extra year. He would break USU's all-time scoring record and also the MWC all-time scoring record. Is that really fair to Jaycee or whoever that no name player is that is the current MWC leader.
Was it fair to Wayne Estes that Grant, Carroll, and Merrill all beat his record with an extra year of eligibility? Wayne only got to play three years because freshmen couldn’t play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 26th, 2020, 5:02 pm

dyedblue wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 4:13 pm
Aggiewest wrote:They would need to put asterisks by every player that got the extra year. Can you imagine all the school and national records that would be impacted by this one class got an additional year. Very stupid idea!

Was it fair to Wayne Estes that Grant, Carroll, and Merrill all beat his record with an extra year of eligibility? Wayne only got to play three years because freshmen couldn’t play.

I was thinking about that and the difference here is that this would be a 1 time exception for 1 group of players. It's hard to compare what Wayne did with what Jaycee did because rules changed but they changed across the board and they changed for everyone moving forward. Giving 1 group of seniors that 5th year without ever doing it again would create some records that you simply couldn't achieve with 4 years of play.

aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

Post by aggies1 » March 26th, 2020, 5:39 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 5:02 pm
dyedblue wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 4:13 pm

I was thinking about that and the difference here is that this would be a 1 time exception for 1 group of players. It's hard to compare what Wayne did with what Jaycee did because rules changed but they changed across the board and they changed for everyone moving forward. Giving 1 group of seniors that 5th year without ever doing it again would create some records that you simply couldn't achieve with 4 years of play.
Ya I think there would be an * by any records broken if the additional year is granted.

Locked Previous topicNext topic