Coronavirus and teams cancelling fans at spring game

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
mike1126

Coronavirus and teams cancelling fans at spring game

Post by mike1126 » March 11th, 2020, 6:03 pm

It seems like more teams are not allowing fans to the spring game. March madness will be played without fans (that's the rumor). My concern is for the regular season. I wonder how season ticket sales are going? And do you think the aggies will be playing football with no fans in the seats?

ViAggie

Re: Coronavirus and teams cancelling fans at spring game

Post by ViAggie » March 11th, 2020, 6:21 pm

it's not a rumor it's official

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

mike1126

Post by mike1126 » March 11th, 2020, 8:01 pm

Since writing the post, the nba season has been cancelled.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 11th, 2020, 10:21 pm

After looking at the statistically small number of people who have actually died due to this Corona virus, the current domestic response seems way too aggressive.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post:
USU78

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » March 12th, 2020, 8:32 am

Yup.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » March 12th, 2020, 9:05 am

mike1126 wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 8:01 pm
Since writing the post, the nba season has been cancelled.
It's been suspended. They can still pick up the season later on.

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » March 12th, 2020, 9:10 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 10:21 pm
After looking at the statistically small number of people who have actually died due to this Corona virus, the current domestic response seems way too aggressive.
I know this is sandbox material, but consider one teacher gets sick but doesn't die. The school that teacher works at would likely need to close down. So 300 (400?) kids have to spend their day at home. Let's say one of those kids' parent is a police officer. That police officer now has to stay home to take care of their kid, meaning that another police officer has to fill in for them. That PD is now understaffed and spread thinner than it was before.

Same goes for hospitals, fire fighters, EMTs, doctor's offices.

The big problem of pandemics isn't just about who lives and dies, it's about the overall effect that it has on the economy and people at large.

That's just my opinion. I think that no fans at the NCAA tournament is the best of both worlds (we still get to have it, but we limit the risk of a wider infection), and the suspension of the NBA is due to the fact that there are now five or six teams that have had contact with Rudy that have since played games with five or six other teams and it can get real out of hand from there. Makes sense to suspend for at least two weeks to get things under control and hopefully start again then.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » March 12th, 2020, 10:08 am

Now Donovan Mitchell has tested positive.....sheesh

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

USU78

Post by USU78 » March 12th, 2020, 10:12 am

AgMan21 wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 9:10 am
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
I know this is sandbox material, but consider one teacher gets sick but doesn't die. The school that teacher works at would likely need to close down. So 300 (400?) kids have to spend their day at home. Let's say one of those kids' parent is a police officer. That police officer now has to stay home to take care of their kid, meaning that another police officer has to fill in for them. That PD is now understaffed and spread thinner than it was before.

The big problem of pandemics isn't just about who lives and dies, it's about the overall effect that it has on the economy and people at large.

That's just my opinion. I think that no fans at the NCAA tournament is the best of both worlds (we still get to have it, but we limit the risk of a wider infection), and the suspension of the NBA is due to the fact that there are now five or six teams that have had contact with Rudy that have since played games with five or six other teams and it can get real out of hand from there. Makes sense to suspend for at least two weeks to get things under control and hopefully start again then.
Every year's version of the flu is a pandemic. Another unwelcome but hardly unusual annual little visitor from China, the world's greatest and longest-lived viral incubator.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Machismo

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » March 12th, 2020, 10:36 am

USU78 wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 10:12 am
AgMan21 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:

Every year's version of the flu is a pandemic. Another unwelcome but hardly unusual annual little visitor from China, the world's greatest and longest-lived viral incubator.
That's true. And people can get a vaccine for the flu. Hopefully we get one for corona within a year. Should have been working for one since the SARS outbreak in 2002, but I guess that's why hindsight is 20/20.

USU78

Post by USU78 » March 12th, 2020, 11:05 am

AgMan21 wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 10:36 am
USU78 wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:

That's true. And people can get a vaccine for the flu. Hopefully we get one for corona within a year. Should have been working for one since the SARS outbreak in 2002, but I guess that's why hindsight is 20/20.
Yeah. But flu vaccines are only ~66% effective, and one of the largest reasons for that is that each bug each year has tweaked its dna a bit, so that we're looking at a novel flu virus each flu season. I haven't had the flu in over 10 years, and I'm in an at-risk demographic these days. Homeopathic stuff is my response (I got into them because my grandkids kept giving me pink-eye about every other week). Stuff's been working great for me. Just sayin'.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

AGGIEFIGHT
Has thanked: 0

Post by AGGIEFIGHT » March 12th, 2020, 8:23 pm

Maybe it was posted already but spring football has been cancelled as of today, A lot of details to work out such
as strength and conditioning, nutrition, tutoring, and individual position workouts. I know their have been meetings
but don't know what was decided
These users thanked the author AGGIEFIGHT for the post:
USU78

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » March 12th, 2020, 9:19 pm

On the bright side, my daughters college ended classes today and will do distance learning. She planning to fly home with her roommate to Hawaii to finish the semester, long distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 13th, 2020, 5:34 pm

So do they get a rebate on the balance of their tuition for this semester? My granddaughter has one more lab to work through and then she can put a wrap on classes. Speaking of labs,,,what about an adjustment on semester lab fees?

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » March 14th, 2020, 10:03 am

AgMan21 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:

I call it the Moronavirus. Just put the M where the C is. Why? Just go to the store, any store and go to the toilet paper or water aisle. Moronavirus.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
USU78Aggie_in_Idaho

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 14th, 2020, 1:23 pm

I hear you 21, yet how many individual levels of the flu are there, and how many people just carry on though the flue season as they historically have? Like McAggie said, insert an "M" for the "C" and you the makings for another ORSON WELLS Invaders from Mars scenario.

On another note, I've decided to abstain from picking my nose and to quit licking door knobs.
USU78

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » March 14th, 2020, 3:06 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
March 14th, 2020, 1:23 pm
I hear you 21, yet how many individual levels of the flu are there, and how many people just carry on though the flue season as they historically have? Like McAggie said, insert an "M" for the "C" and you the makings for another ORSON WELLS Invaders from Mars scenario.

On another note, I've decided to abstain from picking my nose and to quit licking door knobs.
I get what you guys are saying. And I may be wrong, but I think that carrying on as if nothing is wrong is selfish. Sure, the flu may not be treating me too bad and I can likely power through it as if nothing has happened, but not everyone is so lucky. Thankfully, with the flu, we have a vaccine that is about 66% effective meaning that there is a good amount of herd immunity so I may not infect anyone, and if I do it likely won't be as bad. But what about those that can't get the vaccine because of allergies or other negative reactions?

Covid is even worse than the flu. There is no vaccine and there is no herd immunity. So if I get it and go about business as usual, I'm likely going to give it to someone else and it will eventually kill someone.

I know that sounds drastic, and maybe it is, but I just can't help but think that it is worth it. Hopefully I'm wrong and it all blows over.

On the note of the grocery stores, I think there is always a sense of panic in these situations. You see it almost everywhere during random blizzards or natural disasters. Some of it is panic, but I think some of it is due to profiteers hoping to price gouge and make a buck. I just read this article and thought it was interesting. Hope the guy loses money in the end.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/tech ... ergencies.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post:
oleblu111

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » March 15th, 2020, 7:40 am

Football practice has been cancelled through May. All classes have been converted to online through May as well. Source level: 100

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » March 15th, 2020, 9:07 am

Wow. The football players should be uploading the full playbook to Madden and playing 4 hours + a day ;)

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » March 15th, 2020, 9:39 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 9:07 am
Wow. The football players should be uploading the full playbook to Madden and playing 4 hours + a day ;)
I’ll let mine know.... :cool2:
These users thanked the author taniataylor for the post:
BLUERUFiO

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » March 16th, 2020, 12:52 pm

USU78 wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 11:05 am
AgMan21 wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 10:36 am
USU78 wrote:
AgMan21 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:

Yeah. But flu vaccines are only ~66% effective, and one of the largest reasons for that is that each bug each year has tweaked its dna a bit, so that we're looking at a novel flu virus each flu season. I haven't had the flu in over 10 years, and I'm in an at-risk demographic these days. Homeopathic stuff is my response (I got into them because my grandkids kept giving me pink-eye about every other week). Stuff's been working great for me. Just sayin'.

Well noted and solid advice 78. I wash my hands so much more now that dry hands are a problem for me. Also of note, I've quit licking door handles just to be on the safe side.
USU78

Locked Previous topicNext topic