Article on the Aggies Cinderella Potential in SI

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
HomeTown

Article on the Aggies Cinderella Potential in SI

Post by HomeTown » March 9th, 2020, 4:05 pm

SI has a good little article on the team and their chances in the tournament.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/09/m ... utah-state
These users thanked the author HomeTown for the post (total 2):
sstrasserBill_George

MrBiggle

Re: Article on the Aggies Cinderella Potential in SI

Post by MrBiggle » March 9th, 2020, 4:19 pm

That would be awesome. Just like last year I am ecstatic that we have made it to the NCAA tourney again. However, as an Aggie fan, I can only hope that we win at least one round and not do the usual one and done.

It's still awesome to get this kind of attention though.
These users thanked the author MrBiggle for the post:
sstrasser

Where only sage brush grows

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 9th, 2020, 4:23 pm

We used to get this type of talk every year the Aggies made the tournament. They would have a gaudy record (27 - 30 wins) and would be picked as an upset favorite. Then they would proceed to get into the tournament and poop their pants. Here' s to breaking this trend.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 4):
MrBigglesstrasseraceofspadeskbaggies22

Eutaw St. Aggie

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » March 9th, 2020, 4:39 pm

Yossarian wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 4:23 pm
We used to get this type of talk every year the Aggies made the tournament. They would have a gaudy record (27 - 30 wins) and would be picked as an upset favorite. Then they would proceed to get into the tournament and poop their pants. Here' s to breaking this trend.
I agree, this talk isn't new. I think this team is different than Big West and WAC teams though. The earlier teams never really played anybody and got the majority of their wins against lesser competition. This team has played 9 games against teams that are locks or have a decent shot to make the tournament and are 5-4 in those games. 6 of those games are against teams with most likely higher seeds and the Aggies are 3-3. I think that is impressive and something we haven't really seen in the past. So far this team has overcome hype, injuries, disappointment, and big deficits. Why not a win in the dance? They have played the right kind of competition and fared well. I think they can do it!
Last edited by HomeTown on March 9th, 2020, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 9th, 2020, 4:42 pm

I don't like these kind of articles cause they seem to get written every year we make it and we lose in the first round. Let them get written about our opponent as a potential Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight team.

That said, with how many people in the world there are, there has to be someone picking each underdog to have a few upsets.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » March 11th, 2020, 6:40 am

We were picked for the 12/5 upset several times, I believe one year we were the only team that didn’t pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 11th, 2020, 6:43 am

TheAKAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 6:40 am
We were picked for the 12/5 upset several times, I believe one year we were the only team that didn’t pull it off.

I don't recall which year but I believe you are correct my Aggie brother.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 11th, 2020, 7:14 am

HomeTown wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 4:39 pm
Yossarian wrote:
I agree, this talk isn't new. I think this team is different than Big West and WAC teams though. The earlier teams never really played anybody and got the majority of their wins against lesser competition. This team has played 9 games against teams that are locks or have a decent shot to make the tournament and are 5-4 in those games. 6 of those games are against teams with most likely higher seeds and the Aggies are 3-3. I think that is impressive and something we haven't really seen in the past. So far this team has overcome hype, injuries, disappointment, and big deficits. Why not a win in the dance? They have played the right kind of competition and fared well. I think they can do it!
3 against SDSU, Florida, LSU, BYU, SMC, and N. Texas. That’s 8, Who am I missing? I think what stood out most to me from that list that definitely separates this team from the WAC and BW years is that all of those games but one were outside of the friendly Spectrum confines.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » March 11th, 2020, 7:34 am

aggies22 wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 6:43 am
TheAKAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 6:40 am

I don't recall which year but I believe you are correct my Aggie brother.
Alright, this is going to bug me. I recalled the same thing, but I've gone back to 1979 and can't find an instance, no matter our seed, where we lost and the other 3 teams won. Anyone out there with a great memory that can set this straight?

Go Aggies!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 11th, 2020, 8:42 am

It has NOT happened where ALL THREE other teams with our seed won. There was 2000 when we thought we would win cause the other three 12 seeds had already played and lost and there is always one 12 that wins every year, then the trend was broken with us losing making it all 4 12s losing.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post (total 2):
Aggie19aggies22

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 11th, 2020, 8:51 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 8:42 am
It has NOT happened where ALL THREE other teams with our seed won. There was 2000 when we thought we would win cause the other three 12 seeds had already played and lost and there is always one 12 that wins every year, then the trend was broken with us losing making it all 4 12s losing.
That’s as good as gospel given the source.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
AndroidAggie

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » March 11th, 2020, 9:57 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 11th, 2020, 7:14 am
HomeTown wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 4:39 pm
Yossarian wrote:
3 against SDSU, Florida, LSU, BYU, SMC, and N. Texas. That’s 8, Who am I missing? I think what stood out most to me from that list that definitely separates this team from the WAC and BW years is that all of those games but one were outside of the friendly Spectrum confines.
I was also including North Carolina A&T as having a good shot since they are a 2 seed, playing tonight in their MEAC tournament.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 11th, 2020, 10:01 am

Yossarian wrote:
I couldn't have said it any better my Aggie brother!

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 11th, 2020, 10:56 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
March 9th, 2020, 4:42 pm
I don't like these kind of articles cause they seem to get written every year we make it and we lose in the first round. Let them get written about our opponent as a potential Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight team.

That said, with how many people in the world there are, there has to be someone picking each underdog to have a few upsets.
My worry as well...so far we've never lived up to be "picked"....please let's change that this year. Break the Aggie curse!
Trout?

Locked Previous topicNext topic