Sam. Freaking. Merrill!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ThunderAggie

Re: Sam. Freaking. Merrill!

Post by ThunderAggie » March 5th, 2020, 10:25 pm

hickaggie wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:23 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:05 pm
In all honesty, is there any way Sam Merrill gets invited to the NBA Combine? Any chance he could be drafted late 2nd round?
I don't know about that but Real Madrid will have an opening for a foreign shooting guard in a couple months. He would come in a Rock Star there just on Jaycees' reputation. A lot easier schedule on the body, star treatment, and pay better than the low end of NBA rosters.
While I agree, he should take a shot. It is his dream to play in the NBA so doubt he is even considering that at this point. Going to do all he can to make his dream come true. If he doesn't end up there, then yes...a team like Real Madrid would be good.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 5th, 2020, 10:27 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 9:40 pm
So where does Merrill rank now on the list? Has he passed Grant??

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 5th, 2020, 10:27 pm

Absolutely skilled enough to play in the NBA. Also has the size. I think he’s probably athletic enough but that’ll be the big question. Can he defend nba guards?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 5th, 2020, 10:45 pm

He certainly has the cards (and statistics) against him. There aren't many people with his traits playing in the NBA. Just off the top of your head - name 10 white guys, born in the United States, on active NBA rosters. It gets even tougher if you try to think of just guards.

Go!

You named Gordon Hayward, good. Now nine more to go........

Eutaw St. Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 5th, 2020, 10:46 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:27 pm
Absolutely skilled enough to play in the NBA. Also has the size. I think he’s probably athletic enough but that’ll be the big question. Can he defend nba guards?
Most NBA players can't defend. I figure he can do about as well as the average NBA player. I've always seen Sam as a shorter version of Joe Ingles. Sam, being shorter, will likely have to defend better athletes than Joe does, but he should do okay.

I actually think the Jazz would be a perfect system for him and having a player like Gobert makes most defenders look much better.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 5th, 2020, 10:47 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:46 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
Most NBA players can't defend. I figure he can do about as well as the average NBA player. I've always seen Sam as a shorter version of Joe Ingles. Sam, being shorter, will likely have to defend better athletes than Joe does, but he should do okay.

I actually think the Jazz would be a perfect system for him and having a player like Gobert makes most defenders look much better.
Totally disagree. Bad nba defenders get played off the floor. Agree on the jazz part but if he can’t at least stay in front of his guy he won’t stick

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 5th, 2020, 10:52 pm

bigblue wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 9:30 pm
All I can say is holy (I can't express myself without swearing) (I can't express myself without swearing) what a roller coaster game that was!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It was a huge range of emotions. Going up by 13 I thought we might be able to bury them. Then to have Sam go out with 4 fouls and Porter not able to go. We then go down by 11 with under 10 minutes to go. To only come back and win the game. I would not script it that way, but man how about Sam Merrill and the Aggies!!

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 5th, 2020, 10:54 pm

tysteve20 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 9:34 pm
I went from (I can’t express myself without swearing) yes to oh (I can’t express myself without swearing) (I can’t express myself without swearing) and finished off with a huge holy (I can’t express myself without swearing). WOW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is times when you just have to let it out. I started to swear a little bit and my 13 year old told me to stop. It is kind of embarrassing when your son has to keep you in line.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 5th, 2020, 10:55 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:47 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

Totally disagree. Bad nba defenders get played off the floor.
I don't know man. There are a lot of guys who suck at D who get plenty of time on the floor. Here's a few: Devin Booker, Bradley Beal, Enes Kanter, Trae Young, Steph Curry, JJ Redick, Jabari Parker, D'Angelo Russell, Jeff Teague, Karl-Anthony Towns.

But hey, maybe you have a different idea of defense than I do.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 5th, 2020, 11:06 pm

brownjeans wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:55 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

I don't know man. There are a lot of guys who suck at D who get plenty of time on the floor. Here's a few: Devin Booker, Bradley Beal, Enes Kanter, Trae Young, Steph Curry, JJ Redick, Jabari Parker, D'Angelo Russell, Jeff Teague, Karl-Anthony Towns.

You just listed a bunch of guys who have never Been in winning teams, a couple guys who have been moved because they can’t play D, and Curry who is one of the best offensive players of all time and that’s not close to “most players”

If Sam can score like young or curry he can be a below average defender but he’s not going to so he can’t be a total weak link defensively to stick on team. He’s not a developmental guy because he’s relatively old and unathletic so he’s going to have to be good enough on D to get minutes as a 9th guy in the rotation. Can he do that guarding 1s and 2s? Maybe. I think he can do it but that’s the question he’ll have to answer because he can do everything else I think. Maybe a question about getting his own shot on offense but not a ton of guys are really proficient at that

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 5th, 2020, 11:13 pm

Cuchelain wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:06 pm
I saw Sam talking to one of the refs and holding up one finger, asking to get one call. Heh.
I bet I can guess which finger. Horrid officiating.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
Intermeddler

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 5th, 2020, 11:18 pm

These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 3):
FloridaAggie13USU78Sl7vk

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » March 5th, 2020, 11:20 pm

Serious question, can Sam dunk? Any video proof. What a freaking stud.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 5th, 2020, 11:21 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 11:20 pm
Serious question, can Sam dunk? Any video proof. What a freaking stud.

He has dunked in a game. Once, that I can remember.

Eutaw St. Aggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 5th, 2020, 11:26 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 11:18 pm
Awesome. Weir is a classy dude. Compare his approach to a conceded jerk like Musselman.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieSl7vkLiberalAggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 5th, 2020, 11:59 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 11:06 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

You just listed a bunch of guys who have never Been in winning teams, a couple guys who have been moved because they can’t play D, and Curry who is one of the best offensive players of all time and that’s not close to “most players”

If Sam can score like young or curry he can be a below average defender but he’s not going to so he can’t be a total weak link defensively to stick on team. He’s not a developmental guy because he’s relatively old and unathletic so he’s going to have to be good enough on D to get minutes as a 9th guy in the rotation. Can he do that guarding 1s and 2s? Maybe. I think he can do it but that’s the question he’ll have to answer because he can do everything else I think. Maybe a question about getting his own shot on offense but not a ton of guys are really proficient at that
I listed guys who see a ton of floor time - to counter the idea that bad defenders get played of the floor. I could simply post a link to defensive plus minus if you want to see a lot of players who don't play D. The list of great NBA defenders isn't long.

You don't have to score like Curry. Kyle Korver had had a long career at stinking on D. Others too.

Agree to disagree.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 6th, 2020, 12:05 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 11:26 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 11:18 pm
Awesome. Weir is a classy dude. Compare his approach to a conceded jerk like Musselman.
I was impressed with Weir's comments. I like how candid he was. It was refreshing to see.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 6th, 2020, 12:07 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Not a coincidence my son is named Sam

I just named my son Merrill.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 6th, 2020, 12:19 am

brownjeans wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 11:59 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 11:06 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

I listed guys who see a ton of floor time - to counter the idea that bad defenders get played of the floor. I could simply post a link to defensive plus minus if you want to see a lot of players who don't play D. The list of great NBA defenders isn't long.

You don't have to score like Curry. Kyle Korver had had a long career at stinking on D. Others too.

Agree to disagree.
Again, bad defenders get played off the floor. You listed guys that have had that happened. I never said every guy is prime Scottie Pippen. Lots of guys will have negative DRPM because teams score points.

I simply said Sam is going to have to be a mediocre or better defender because he’s not going to overcome bad defense like some guys.

Having a guy like Gobert helps but maybe you haven’t noticed the jazz have been awful defensively because their perimeter guys can’t stay in front of anyone.

But yeah agree to disagree I suppose. I hope he gets a fair shot and not written off because he’s older than most guys in the draft.

ususports

Post by ususports » March 6th, 2020, 12:36 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 10:54 pm
There is times when you just have to let it out.
You are in Vegas.

OrangeCountyAggie

Post by OrangeCountyAggie » March 6th, 2020, 3:26 am

His best NBA comp is Bogdan Bogdanovic from the Sacramento Kings.

Both 6'5" lights out 3pt shooters who generally shoot better in rhythm than from spotting up. Average athleticism (at best) but highly skilled. Both can break the defender down off the dribble, get to the hoop, finish in traffic and draw fouls. Can play either guard positions (the Kings often use Bogdanovic as their back up point guard). Both are scrappy defenders, great free-throw shooters, have great vision when running the point and are good ball handlers/movers.

Watch this highlight film and you can see it:

For Sam, I could see him eventually in an NBA team's three-guard rotation, based on his skill, shooting ability, toughness, versatility and court vision. Obviously he needs to keep working on developing his body and get a few lucky breaks along the way.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 6th, 2020, 6:46 am

He is the GOAT. I’m with others not gonna debate it with you. But he has it all.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » March 6th, 2020, 7:38 am

Nice comparison to bagdonovich (or however you spell that). With the terrible defense that most NBA teams have, Sam could actually do vey well.

Where only sage brush grows

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 6th, 2020, 7:40 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
Not a coincidence my son is named Sam

Not a coincidence my name is Sam
These users thanked the author sam tingey for the post:
TrueBlueFan

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » March 6th, 2020, 8:19 am

brownjeans wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
I don't know man. There are a lot of guys who suck at D who get plenty of time on the floor.
First, nice win yesterday. Way to pull it out!

On the discussion of offense heavy - defense deficient guards I would like to offer up a name for your consideration in gauging NBA potential: Jimmer Fredette.
These users thanked the author Al-O-Meter for the post:
Real Life Aggie

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » March 6th, 2020, 8:30 am

Sam could be a “charge specialist” in the NBA. If your team wants a charge taken, send in Sam Merrill.

AggiePT

Post by AggiePT » March 6th, 2020, 8:56 am

Al-O-Meter wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 8:19 am
brownjeans wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:
I don't know man. There are a lot of guys who suck at D who get plenty of time on the floor.

On the discussion of offense heavy - defense deficient guards I would like to offer up a name for your consideration in gauging NBA potential: Jimmer Fredette.
Jimmer was one dimensional. Sam might not be an elite defender, but I think he is WAY more well rounded than Jimmer. Not even close.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » March 6th, 2020, 9:04 am

AggiePT wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 8:56 am
Al-O-Meter wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

Jimmer was one dimensional. Sam might not be an elite defender, but I think he is WAY more well rounded than Jimmer. Not even close.
Jimmer was also 6 ft 2 while Sam is 6 ft 6. Doesn’t seem like a big difference but in the NBA it is.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 6th, 2020, 9:10 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 9:04 am
AggiePT wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 8:56 am
Al-O-Meter wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

Jimmer was also 6 ft 2 while Sam is 6 ft 6. Doesn’t seem like a big difference but in the NBA it is.
Quit talking useful points and let the man's point stand. Jimmer sucks at defense. I can't believe we're doing anything other than crapping on an emissary of BYU.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 6th, 2020, 9:14 am

Al-O-Meter wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

Yes, his defense was terrible. Trouble is, Jimmer's offense didn't translate to the NBA either. A player can be a bad defender and have a career in the NBA - but he has to offer something to make up for it. Jimmer didn't.

My point (maybe made badly) was that the NBA has a lot of players who aren't good at defense. Being bad at defense doesn't mean you can't make it in the NBA - but you have to offer something. There is a pretty good group of very good players who are terrible at D but offer other things at such a high level that they still play a lot of minutes (30+ per game). Then there are a bunch of players who are terrible at D but offer other things at a lesser degree and/or inconsistently. These play sparingly. Then there are players who are terrible at D and aren't great at other things either and these rarely play, play D-league mostly with the hope they'll develop, or they're simply helping a team hit their minimum salary requirements and will soon find themselves out of the league.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 6th, 2020, 9:37 am

Jimmer also refused to buy into any of his coaches' philosophies or accept the roles he was given. He wanted to dominate the ball like he did in college and that wasn't going to fly in the NBA.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 6th, 2020, 9:42 am

brownjeans wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 9:14 am
Al-O-Meter wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:

Yes, his defense was terrible. Trouble is, Jimmer's offense didn't translate to the NBA either. A player can be a bad defender and have a career in the NBA - but he has to offer something to make up for it. Jimmer didn't.

My point (maybe made badly) was that the NBA has a lot of players who aren't good at defense. Being bad at defense doesn't mean you can't make it in the NBA - but you have to offer something. There is a pretty good group of very good players who are terrible at D but offer other things at such a high level that they still play a lot of minutes (30+ per game). Then there are a bunch of players who are terrible at D but offer other things at a lesser degree and/or inconsistently. These play sparingly. Then there are players who are terrible at D and aren't great at other things either and these rarely play, play D-league mostly with the hope they'll develop, or they're simply helping a team hit their minimum salary requirements and will soon find themselves out of the league.
Now this I agree with. I was probably unduly argumentative earlier.

If Jimmer could have adapted into an off ball shooter he’d probably be in the league right now but a ball dominant, undersized, volume shooter who can’t play D better be Trae Young.

Sam has a more well-rounded game and the size Jimmer lacks.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 6th, 2020, 11:34 am

Intermeddler wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 9:42 am
Now this I agree with. I was probably unduly argumentative earlier.
In your defense, I was exaggerating when I said "most NBA players can't defend." That was probably unfair.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » March 6th, 2020, 11:42 am

These users thanked the author aggiesdotcom for the post:
usufan1

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 6th, 2020, 1:05 pm

So I was on the debate a week or so back about where Sam ranked when I heard the talk about it on the Full Court Press show. I was pretty annoyed he was called number one over JC but I've softened some. Here's the thing, as far as the best basketball player at USU, I still put JC at 1 and Sam at 2. As for the greatest AGGIE of all time, I'd give that to Sam. He was born and Aggie, raised an Aggie and is carrying this team we all love and support. He is the Greatest Aggie of All time. No other player has the history or life long love for the school like he has and has backed it up on the floor that I know of. He's still good friends with Spence and stops by often. He's a good dude. IMHO
These users thanked the author kofdog for the post:
usufan1

Locked Previous topicNext topic