Chuck Shelton Passed Away

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 14th, 2020, 11:20 am

mcaggie1

Re: Chuck Shelton Passed Away

Post by mcaggie1 » February 14th, 2020, 11:38 am

Chuck was hired about the time Lou Holtz was hired to coach Notre Dame. Three months before Sheltons first spring game, I had dinner with Lou Holtz at our National Sales meeting. He was there as our Company' keynote speaker at the awards banquet.

I asked him if he knew Chuck Shelton. Lou said "Yes, very well." I asked him if he thought Chuck could be a winning coach at USU. He told me that absolutely Chuck could win at USU. But only if he had money, some better facilities and at least near full stadiums.

We all know that Chuck never had those things. I liked Chuck, and I thought he recruited some pretty good players, but just not enough. I pretty much agree with Lou. If Shelton had the support that we have now.....who knows where he could have taken us?

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » February 14th, 2020, 11:43 am

Rest In Peace Coach Shelton! Chuck’s last year (‘91) was my freshman year at USU. I remember his hat. Interesting how good of career record he had in conference (60%) but how awful our non-conf record was (1-23). Then again our non-conf schedule in 1991 was @ Utah, @ Nebraska, @ Oklahoma, and @ BYU. None of those at home. We played two body bag P5 road games a year (typically they were ranked) besides Utah and BYU. Glad the days of only 4-5 home games a year is over. I think with better resources he could have done a lot. The one non-conference game he won was at Missouri in 1990. Ironically Missouri was his home state.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » February 14th, 2020, 11:51 am

Chuck had nothing when he coached here, no money, terrible facilities. He holds a lot of credit for getting Jim Laub involved in Aggie football in fact I believe Chuck is Jim's son's godfather, so that was a major plus in Shelton's tenure at USU.

OCDAggie

Post by OCDAggie » February 14th, 2020, 12:30 pm

Did Chuck Shelton or one of his staff recruit Bobby Wagner to USU?

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 14th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Shelton -> Weatherbie -> Smith -> Arslanian -> Guy -> Andy Numero Uno -> Wells -> Andy Numero Dos
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
NavyBlueAggie

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 14th, 2020, 2:01 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 11:38 am
Chuck was hired about the time Lou Holtz was hired to coach Notre Dame. Three months before Sheltons first spring game, I had dinner with Lou Holtz at our National Sales meeting. He was there as our Company' keynote speaker at the awards banquet.

I asked him if he knew Chuck Shelton. Lou said "Yes, very well." I asked him if he thought Chuck could be a winning coach at USU. [b]He told me that absolutely Chuck could win at USU. But only if he had money, some better facilities and at least near full stadiums.[/b]

We all know that Chuck never had those things. I liked Chuck, and I thought he recruited some pretty good players, but just not enough. I pretty much agree with Lou. If Shelton had the support that we have now.....who knows where he could have taken us?
Chuck soldiered on and kept his mouth shut about the very small budget we then had at Utah State. Stanford Cazier was the school president at the time, and Stanford had little interest in a successful AGGIE Football program to advance the public profile of USU. Thank you for your post McAggie.

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » February 14th, 2020, 2:36 pm

OCDAggie wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 12:30 pm
Did Chuck Shelton or one of his staff recruit Bobby Wagner to USU?
Sure did. Bobby was showing a lot of promise as a 1-year old in California's diaper-league. Lol. :lol:
These users thanked the author Naked Bull Rider for the post:
USU78

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » February 14th, 2020, 3:08 pm

He took over from Chris Pella ( a disaster) and I remember Coach Shelton commenting that when he got here the players literally didn't even know how to tackle. He was a great coach. I especially remember him beating Utah---twice I think---and the players stomping on the "U" in the Rice Stadium end-zone.

FireAg

Post by FireAg » February 14th, 2020, 6:03 pm

I was at USU during the Shelton years and, no doubt about it, he did the best he could with the cards he was dealt. One thing FOR SURE: they will bury him in the GROUND.
These users thanked the author FireAg for the post:
BearLakeMonster

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » February 14th, 2020, 7:29 pm

He had the first Aggie victory over a top 25 team in my lifetime. I'm still amazed we won that game. Chuck did lay a foundation for Weatherbie to have some success.

WasatchAggie

Post by WasatchAggie » February 14th, 2020, 7:31 pm

I always respected him. RIP coach.
These users thanked the author WasatchAggie for the post:
AngusAg

bucky
Has thanked: 0

Post by bucky » February 14th, 2020, 10:57 pm

He sent me for xmas aggie hemet decals. My dad wrote to him to tell him thanks after he got fired and he told him how big of an aggie fan i was and he sent those to me. Ill always remember how excited i was to get those. It was awesome. Thanks coach
These users thanked the author bucky for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 15th, 2020, 11:26 am

I interviewed coach Shelton a few times in the winter of 1991. He truly believed in and practiced the idea of student-athlete and sincerely cared about his athletes getting an education telling me maybe 1% would play pro ball. He said he develops far more doctors and lawyers than professional athletes. That made sense.

Regarding paying college football players he said his sympathies were with the mothers and fathers with families while attending college and working a full-time job, not the athlete on scholarship.

His last recruiting classes laid the foundation for Weatherbie's teams - Jermaine Younger, Toney Jenkins, Cotie McMahon, etc.

Good person.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 15th, 2020, 11:50 am

bucky wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 10:57 pm
He sent me for xmas aggie hemet decals. My dad wrote to him to tell him thanks after he got fired and he told him how big of an aggie fan i was and he sent those to me. Ill always remember how excited i was to get those. It was awesome. Thanks coach
I believe Coach Shelton resigned and was certainly not fired, after USU school president Stanford Cazier vacillated over extending the contract for Coach Shelton. His resignation caused some real stress inside USU and our Athletic Department.
These users thanked the author NavyBlueAggie for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13USU78

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » February 15th, 2020, 7:24 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 11:43 am
Rest In Peace Coach Shelton! Chuck’s last year (‘91) was my freshman year at USU. I remember his hat. Interesting how good of career record he had in conference (60%) but how awful our non-conf record was (1-23). Then again our non-conf schedule in 1991 was @ Utah, @ Nebraska, @ Oklahoma, and @ BYU. None of those at home. We played two body bag P5 road games a year (typically they were ranked) besides Utah and BYU. Glad the days of only 4-5 home games a year is over. I think with better resources he could have done a lot. The one non-conference game he won was at Missouri in 1990. Ironically Missouri was his home state.
USU lost, badly, to Missouri in 1990. The score was 45-10 Missouri. Shelton's only OOC win was in 1987 against Utah, winning 41-36.

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » February 15th, 2020, 7:30 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 11:43 am
USU lost, badly, to Missouri in 1990. The score was 45-10 Missouri. Shelton's only OOC win was in 1987 against Utah, winning 41-36.
Wikipedia must be wrong then. Says we lost at Missouri in 1988 but beat them in 1990 by a score of 45-10. I thought that was a surprising win!

Donman

Post by Donman » February 15th, 2020, 10:27 pm

His contract wasn't renewed. Announcement made after we lost to Fullerton.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » February 16th, 2020, 11:44 am

The facts on the Shelton record and contract renewal. He did beat Utah once, and never beat Missouri, he played back to back revenue games every season he was coach.no lower division schools.

In the tail end of the season He had a meeting with the president, if memory serves he had year to year contract he wanted a multi year deal, which was refused. He then resigned then beat Fresno which was ranked in the top 25, and unbeaten, The president called and wanted to talk about what he wanted he refused and went to Pacific.

Back then the facilities were horrible, we had no money, no school support It was a very tough time, back then.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggies22

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 16th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Thank you oleblu. You stirred some of my synapses to close, and close they finally did. Chuck got a good deal of favorable press after USU school president Stanford Cazier continued to not do the job a school president should have been doing. As part of the then "WASATCH AGGIES" it was a blow to all involved to see Chuck leave Logan.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » February 16th, 2020, 2:33 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 12:40 pm
Thank you oleblu. You stirred some of my synapses to close, and close they finally did. Chuck got a good deal of favorable press after USU school president Stanford Cazier continued to not do the job a school president should have been doing. As part of the then "WASATCH AGGIES" it was a blow to all involved to see Chuck leave Logan.
Stanford Cazier was probably the worst president USU has ever had when it comes to athletics. I can't speak to how he did in other aspects of administering the University. But certainly with athletics, he was abysmal. It took USU decades to recover from his failings, and in many ways we are still dealing with his failures.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13aggies22

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » February 16th, 2020, 4:16 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 2:33 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Stanford Cazier was probably the worst president USU has ever had when it comes to athletics. I can't speak to how he did in other aspects of administering the University. But certainly with athletics, he was abysmal. It took USU decades to recover from his failings, and in many ways we are still dealing with his failures.
Cazier wasn't THAT good. :lol:

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 16th, 2020, 9:03 pm

swordsman1989 wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 2:33 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Under Cazier they seriously looked into the economics of simply dropping football altogether.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 17th, 2020, 9:24 pm

I remember seeing Shelton at the gas station south of town...Trailside? He was getting a soda and I recognized him from his hat. I said hello and shook his hand as a young Aggie. He was very nice.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

GUS

Post by GUS » February 18th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Wasn't it Cazier that turned into an alcoholic after his wife died?

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » February 18th, 2020, 1:08 pm

NVAggie wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 9:24 pm
I remember seeing Shelton at the gas station south of town...Trailside? He was getting a soda and I recognized him from his hat. I said hello and shook his hand as a young Aggie. He was very nice.
I really thought this was going to turn into a "Matt Wells at Maverick" story.
These users thanked the author AgMan21 for the post:
NVAggie

blueblood

Post by blueblood » February 18th, 2020, 1:38 pm

GUS wrote:Wasn't it Cazier that turned into an alcoholic after his wife died?
Part of the reason that I am an Aggie is because of President Cazier. My dad took a job at USU in the early 80’s with a recommendation from Stan. I struggle with my feelings about him every time he comes up in an athletic discussion because of the personal relationship that my parents had with his family. They were in the same ward as his family when they lived in Chico, CA.

If I remember correctly his personal life basically fell completely apart after he retired as president. His wife developed early onset Alzheimer’s and passed away. One of his son’s was in medical school and based on his symptoms diagnosed himself as having and inoperable brain tumor and then passed away within a year or two. Their other son has/had a severe case of schizophrenia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 18th, 2020, 2:02 pm

AgMan21 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 1:08 pm
NVAggie wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 9:24 pm
I really thought this was going to turn into a "Matt Wells at Maverick" story.
That is QAA territory.

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » February 21st, 2020, 3:06 pm

blueblood wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 1:38 pm
GUS wrote:Wasn't it Cazier that turned into an alcoholic after his wife died?
Part of the reason that I am an Aggie is because of President Cazier. My dad took a job at USU in the early 80’s with a recommendation from Stan. I struggle with my feelings about him every time he comes up in an athletic discussion because of the personal relationship that my parents had with his family. They were in the same ward as his family when they lived in Chico, CA.

If I remember correctly his personal life basically fell completely apart after he retired as president. His wife developed early onset Alzheimer’s and passed away. One of his son’s was in medical school and based on his symptoms diagnosed himself as having and inoperable brain tumor and then passed away within a year or two. Their other son has/had a severe case of schizophrenia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I certainly do not wish to speak poorly about the man on a personal level. He may very well have been a wonderful person. He may also have done great things for other aspects of the university. My comment was strictly about his stewardship over the athletic department during his tenure as president of the university. Very sorry to hear of the issues in his personal life.
These users thanked the author swordsman1989 for the post:
oleblu111

Locked Previous topicNext topic