Vote for Sam!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USUMAE

Re: Vote for Sam!

Post by USUMAE » February 12th, 2020, 8:42 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:19 am
I think some of you underestimate how many fans BYU has and how dedicated their fans are to winning polls. Cougarboard currently has 832 users logged in and browsing the board. We have 18 registered users online right now and 34 guests. That is a massive descrepency.
This. And we have the more user friendly board!

I still think we can win this for Sam.

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » February 12th, 2020, 9:04 am

USUMAE wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:42 am
ProvoAggie wrote:
I think some of you underestimate how many fans BYU has and how dedicated their fans are to winning polls. Cougarboard currently has 832 users logged in and browsing the board. We have 18 registered users online right now and 34 guests. That is a massive descrepency.

The tortoise and the hare.

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » February 12th, 2020, 9:06 am

Do you think they have found a way to just vote over and over with a machine or something?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 12th, 2020, 9:10 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:06 am
Do you think they have found a way to just vote over and over with a machine or something?
lol, no. There's literally hundreds of grown men spending their time and energy just voting over and over and over and obsessing about it. In the end it won't even matter because fan vote is only 1/3 of the vote. Media and Coaches count for the other 2/3.

Aggiedude12
Troll

Post by Aggiedude12 » February 12th, 2020, 9:10 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
No, based on their board it appears its just an overwhelmingly large fanbase outvoting us. They have numbers that we can't compete with unless we hire full time employees to vote. The captcha on the site would prevent bot votes anyways. Atleast the fanvote is only 1/3 of the competition.

Aggiedude12
Troll

Post by Aggiedude12 » February 12th, 2020, 9:11 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:10 am
ThunderAggie wrote:
lol, no. There's literally hundreds of grown men spending their time and energy just voting over and over and over and obsessing about it. In the end it won't even matter because fan vote is only 1/3 of the vote. Media and Coaches count for the other 2/3.
Lets not get hypocritical. Many of us have been somewhat obsessive in our voting for Sam. Its just fun to finally have a player in the running for an award similar to this.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » February 12th, 2020, 10:31 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
I will never underestimate the power of school that owns and operates so many "great and spacious buildings".

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 12th, 2020, 2:15 pm

USUMAE wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Yeah their board sucks!

Aggiedude12
Troll

Post by Aggiedude12 » February 12th, 2020, 2:29 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:15 pm
USUMAE wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Yeah their board sucks!
Their board format takes time to get used to, but I feel like it better pushes constant activity and differing types of discussions. The only thing that this type of board is better for is game threads, and we use chat for that anyways, which they have too.
These users thanked the author Aggiedude12 for the post:
thegreendalegelf

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 12th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Aggiedude12 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:29 pm
Dkdavis wrote:
USUMAE wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Yeah their board sucks!
Their board format takes time to get used to, but I feel like it better pushes constant activity and differing types of discussions. The only thing that this type of board is better for is game threads, and we use chat for that anyways, which they have too.

Sigh.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
Real Life AggieGUS

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » February 12th, 2020, 2:38 pm

What would Brigham Young say about their design? There isn't a straight road to be found over there. It's all over place. It might drive more discussion, I don't know, but it hurts the eyes.

Go Aggies!

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » February 12th, 2020, 2:41 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
Sam back in first! Holding a 3.5% lead over Childs.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 12th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Aggiedude12 wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
USUMAE wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Yeah their board sucks!
I disagree on that point. I feel like this format provides for better and deeper discussions where their format provides for short thoughts but by the time you get a few responses it's lost. They have so many topics that are brought up over and over again because people didn't realize that the same thing was already starting to be discussed but then it was pushed off of the front page and the discussion started over. I'm not saying that one way is right and the other is wrong but if you want to actually be involved in deeper conversations that go for more than 20 minutes providing a way for recent conversations to pop back to the top is important.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 8):
GUSaggies1scotlandogdirtnsnowReal Life AggieNVAggiebigblueChicAggie

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » February 12th, 2020, 2:50 pm

he's solidly in first place today.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » February 12th, 2020, 3:01 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:42 pm
Aggiedude12 wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
USUMAE wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Yeah their board sucks!
I disagree on that point. I feel like this format provides for better and deeper discussions where their format provides for short thoughts but by the time you get a few responses it's lost. They have so many topics that are brought up over and over again because people didn't realize that the same thing was already starting to be discussed but then it was pushed off of the front page and the discussion started over. I'm not saying that one way is right and the other is wrong but if you want to actually be involved in deeper conversations that go for more than 20 minutes providing a way for recent conversations to pop back to the top is important.
I looked at their board a little in the past, and your points are spot on of why this format is better.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 12th, 2020, 3:25 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
Aggiedude12 wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
USUMAE wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:

Yeah their board sucks!
This is a sports forum. Their format is more like a gossip page and an isolated sounding board to make yourself feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » February 12th, 2020, 3:59 pm

http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/me ... l_2019-20/

Sam at 43.6%!!!

Wow I voted like 25 times earlier today but some people must have voted a lot since then! Good job guys!

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » February 12th, 2020, 9:31 pm

49.2 Sam
34.? Child

Go aggies

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » February 13th, 2020, 12:06 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they weighted out the percentages. I doubt it's a winner take all type of voting. So keep voting every vote matters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Stormblessed

Post by Stormblessed » February 13th, 2020, 8:07 am

bigblue wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 12:06 am
I wouldn't be surprised if they weighted out the percentages. I doubt it's a winner take all type of voting. So keep voting every vote matters.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It looks like from what I can see after digging around on their site, that the final ranking will be based on how they finish ranked in each of three voting categories - fans, coaches and media with each area being equally ranked. So with 10 finalists they would probably do something like award 10 points to the 1st place finished in fan vote, 9 points to 2nd place, etc. Then do the same thing for coaches and then for media. Then add up the 3 different categories and whoever has the most points would win. Keep in mind that the voting goes on until March 23rd. I think the idea with the fan vote is to try and generate such a large lead that nobody can come from behind and win the fan vote away from Sam in the last few days if another school starts a last minute campaign and gets lots of people voting.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 13th, 2020, 8:10 am

Some posters here seem to know WAY too much about the BYU-P fan board. I think I've followed links on this forum over to their board a grand total of 3-4 times in the last 20 years. In my limited exposure, that forum sucks a$$ -- particularly compared to this forum -- and anyone who prefers that forum over this one is simply flat out wrong. Empirically.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 3):
StormblessedReal Life Aggietreesap32

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Aggiedude12
Troll

Post by Aggiedude12 » February 13th, 2020, 8:19 am

So who is using the bot to catapult us ahead? There aren’t many of us on the board and Sam’s lead is growing astronomically fast. The 20 of us online at any given time surely couldn’t have done this, and if we did we are seriously wasting some time with this.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 13th, 2020, 8:25 am

Is there any way the fan voting was re-set? Markus Howard at Marquette had the lead just a couple days ago with well over 30% of the vote after several days of voting, and now he's down to 5.2%

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Stormblessed

Post by Stormblessed » February 13th, 2020, 8:30 am

No, it is just the volume of votes at this point. I think Marquette fans had a spike in votes when this first caught their notice but have hardly been voting since.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » February 13th, 2020, 8:34 am

Whenever I get bored of doing homework and need a break I jump over and vote. It helps that I can do it on a different computers throughout the day as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we had 30 people putting in hundreds of votes a day. Along with 100 daily voters. Seems like the other fan boards made a single push and then quit. We've made a push any time someone passes us, and even more so when BYU passed us. It wouldn't be hard for another school to get a last minute campaign going and pass us up though. Especially BYU.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
donlarson8

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » February 13th, 2020, 8:37 am

Voting everyday...I vote until I get the tougher robot questions, and then I go back and deal with that as I can to keep voting.
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
donlarson8

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 13th, 2020, 9:17 am

The Hurd put something on social media as well. I'm sure there are many out there voting that don't come here.

BYUCoug
Has thanked: 0

BYU gives up.

Post by BYUCoug » February 13th, 2020, 9:38 am

At one point BYU fans tried to make a run at winning this poll. Now that they see USU has surged past them they all pretend not to care any longer. I have to hand it to you and your fans, You Jimmered the Jimmerites.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/messa ... d=23171108
These users thanked the author BYUCoug for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyBlueNtheFaceaggies22

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 13th, 2020, 9:43 am

Eh, we acted the same way when Childs took the lead.

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » February 13th, 2020, 9:50 am

Last I checked Sam is at 58.5%. Second place is at 28.x%. :golfclap:

We have a month to go. Let's keep it up and show that we are consistent fans!

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » February 13th, 2020, 10:00 am

USUMAE wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 9:50 am
Last I checked Sam is at 58.5%. Second place is at 28.x%. :golfclap:

We have a month to go. Let's keep it up and show that we are consistent fans!
That would be hilarious if Sam jumps up to like 80% and all the others have less than like 4% :lol:

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 13th, 2020, 11:45 am

Yeah... Sam is pretty seriously in the lead right now. But I'm still going to keep voting!

Interestingly, they've added hockey now to the different voting categories.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
donlarson8

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 13th, 2020, 11:47 am

I'm voting a couple times every hour. I think I'm singlehandedly keeping Sam ahead!
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 4):
ThunderAggiescotlandogaggies22donlarson8

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 13th, 2020, 11:51 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:I'm voting a couple times every hour. I think I'm singlehandedly keeping Sam ahead!
I vote in spurts of 20 in the morning, at lunch, and then after work in the evening twice. So I’m getting about 80 votes a day. Go Aggies!

Aggiedude12
Troll

Post by Aggiedude12 » February 13th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Holy crap you guys are obsessed and some are probably cheating with bots. This has become a joke, still another month of this

Locked Previous topicNext topic