And the MWC capitulates to BSU demands. What a joke!

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
jpswensen

And the MWC capitulates to BSU demands. What a joke!

Post by jpswensen » February 7th, 2020, 10:09 am

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

thegreendalegelf

Re: And the MWC capitulates to BSU demands. What a joke!

Post by thegreendalegelf » February 7th, 2020, 10:17 am

I love the comment someone else said in another thread "No reason to screw up this TV deal for something 6 years in the future."

We are just giving them the 1.8 mil that their contract with the MW specifies. We didn't give them more. We get 3 times more in the new deal than the last deal. Boise gets 2 times more than the last deal.

Use the next 6 years to figure out a way to fix it. I would love if they took that bonus, and made the conf title and NY6 shares from the conf bigger instead. Let Boise play for a bigger pot if they are as good as they believe to be (and as they have shown the past few years.)

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » February 7th, 2020, 11:06 am

Screw Boise State Donkeys. They think they are better than everybody. Who cares if they have a pretty good football team, that doesn't mean they should be treated any different. In all the big conferences, the teams have the same rights in a deal. Like Vanderbilt and Bama have the same type of contract. Boise can earn their own money from successful seasons. No need to give into the bullies in Boise. This just makes me hate them even more and I hope we whoop them in basketball this weekend, but especially football this upcoming season.

Again...what a JOKE

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 7th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Hate those guys. Friggin' Tater Zoobs.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Full

Post by Full » February 7th, 2020, 12:27 pm

I wonder if they still ended the separate negotiations for Boise and their special veto power for a TV deal. Boise has a lot more leverage with those in place.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » February 9th, 2020, 12:07 am

They are the best in the league and are the flagship for the MWC. If schools like USU and others don’t like it, give them a couple losing seasons. Until they fall off no one has a legit complaint.

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 10th, 2020, 7:47 am

There are certainly legitimate complaints. Name me any other school who is treated this way by their conference. In the end, everyone just needs to beat them.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 10th, 2020, 7:50 am

NVAggie wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 7:47 am
There are certainly legitimate complaints. Name me any other school who is treated this way by their conference. In the end, everyone just needs to beat them.
Texas Longhorns
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
Jjoey52

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 10th, 2020, 7:54 am

Fine, you are right about that one
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
USU78

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 10th, 2020, 2:06 pm

Boise State, the Texas of the Rockies!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
USU78

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 11th, 2020, 3:21 pm

I am unsure about what the angst is about. BSU got the original deal to keep it from bolting the conference. The MWC got a new TV contract and it believes that the new contract would defease the conference’s agreement with BSU. That is some screwy logic. An agreement is an agreement. There was no expiration date. The contact ends on BSU’s terms, not the MWC’s terms. This was not a well-thought out step by The Hair.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » February 11th, 2020, 4:55 pm

utaggies wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 3:21 pm
I am unsure about what the angst is about. BSU got the original deal to keep it from bolting the conference. The MWC got a new TV contract and it believes that the new contract would defease the conference’s agreement with BSU. That is some screwy logic. An agreement is an agreement. There was no expiration date. The contact ends on BSU’s terms, not the MWC’s terms. This was not a well-thought out step by The Hair.
the "angst" doesn't come from the fact that they wanted to keep their sweetheart deal...it's that they wanted to sweeten it further! The $1.8 million "extra" that BSU negotiated was never in doubt...they (BSU) just thought that since we got a new TV contract worth 3 times more, that their $1.8 million "extra" should instead be tripled as well. BSU sued the MWC to get more of the pie (the conference was still planning to give them their "extra" $1.8 million/year for the next 6 years) AND to preemptively block any effort to squash their sweetheart deal on the NEXT contract. Talk about screwy logic. Near as I can tell, BSU's $1.8 million was only ever spelled out as "$1.8 million extra per year"...not "whatever one conference share is TIMES FOUR" I can't figure out why we didn't ride this out...I think the odds were in our favor. :bangwall:

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 11th, 2020, 5:55 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 4:55 pm
utaggies wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 3:21 pm
the "angst" doesn't come from the fact that they wanted to keep their sweetheart deal...it's that they wanted to sweeten it further! The $1.8 million "extra" that BSU negotiated was never in doubt...they (BSU) just thought that since we got a new TV contract worth 3 times more, that their $1.8 million "extra" should instead be tripled as well. BSU sued the MWC to get more of the pie (the conference was still planning to give them their "extra" $1.8 million/year for the next 6 years) AND to preemptively block any effort to squash their sweetheart deal on the NEXT contract. Talk about screwy logic. Near as I can tell, BSU's $1.8 million was only ever spelled out as "$1.8 million extra per year"...not "whatever one conference share is TIMES FOUR" I can't figure out why we didn't ride this out...I think the odds were in our favor. :bangwall:
Here are the facts of the case.

MWC position and action:
“The presidents and chancellors voted on two items at meetings last December: to accept a new, six-year TV contract with CBS and Fox worth a reported $270 million; and to end Boise State’s carve-out of $1.8 million per year once the new deal expires in 2026.”

BSU position and action (from its contract with the MWC):
1. “MWC will ensure that the Boise State home football games are sold as a separate package. Boise State and MWC must mutually agree to whom such Boise State home football game rights are licensed and to the material terms of such license. Material terms include. but are not limited to: monetary terms, time/duration of the license, cancellation terms, network upon which the games are broadcast, time and dates of performance (games), and other terms relevant to payment and performance.”

2. BSU would be paid an annual bonus of $1.8 million because of its “we’re the primary reason CBS/ESPN was willing to pay so many $” position.

It appears to me that the MWC violated its agreement with BSU that allowed BSU to agree to the terms of any new contract pertaining to the broadcast of BSU home games. BSU sought additional (but undisclosed) “bonus” $ commensurate with the new and increased TV contract. The original 2013 TV agreement with ESPN/CBS was for $49 million over 7 years ($7 million/year). The new contract with CBS/Fox was for $270 million over 6 years ($45 million/year).

In the settlement the MWC agreed to continue paying BSU $1.8 million/year as a bonus. On its part BSU agreed to drop its lawsuit. So the MWC has elected to wait until 2026 to stop its bonus payment to BSU, at which time this fight will begin again. BSU has agreed to not pursue additional compensation right now commensurate with the massively increased TV contract. Although unspoken, it appears that BSU must have also agreed to the new TV contract.

I think the MWC lucked out in this outcome. BSU could have held up the new TV contract by demanding more $. It didn’t. The MWC’s new contract increased by 642%. So instead of providing BSU with a 642% increase in its bonus (to $11.57 million/year) the $1.8 million bonus remains intact.

Ultimately the can gets kicked down the road until 2026 when the new TV agreement expires.

Locked Previous topicNext topic