How Ugly was this game?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Re: How Ugly was this game?

Post by slcagg » February 9th, 2020, 7:07 am

scotlandog wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 12:15 am
ProvoAggie wrote:From what I'm reading on the Boise forum, apparently the officiating was very 1 sided tonight. Wouldn't call any fouls on USU at all and they bailed us out. Good thing the refs were on our side.
Well to be fair they also said that the flagrant on Queta at the end shouldn’t have even been a foul. That was the clearest foul I’ve ever seen. No play on the ball, just grabbed him around the shoulders and pulled him back. Clear as day.

They also claimed that they were called for fouls whenever they rebounded the ball. I don’t remember almost any fouls against Boise for rebounding. I do remember us getting called for rocky tack stuff while going for rebounds. They did have the one called as a double foul/flagrant when the Boise guy hooked Queta and pulled him down like a jujitsu throw. They didn’t think that was a foul either? Image

They are saying the refs bailed us out. Let’s no forget that the only reason they were in the game was bc the refs were killing us with ridiculous fouls. We were crushing them until the whistle fest began. That was going to be a 30pt victory if the refs allowed us to play bball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ding ding ding. Exactly. We were on our way to a blowout. Boohoo Boise.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 9th, 2020, 8:31 am

treesap32 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 11:28 pm
freakboy wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 11:14 pm
AgMan21 wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:55 pm
Would have helped if Merrill didn’t have to sit for almost half the game. What could have been a pretty special night for him was taken away by the refs.
Or we could have put Merrill back in much earlier in the 2nd half instead of guaranteeing that he wouldn't get much playing time. I never understood that strategy.
I’m with you on this. I could understand taking him out to cool off, collect himself and really drive home the importance of not fouling out. But he’s back out on the floor in under 2 minutes. Those 12 minutes on the bench just about lost the game.
I agree. Often times getting early fouls inexplicably places players on the bench for the whole game instead of playing them as many minutes as possible. It's sometimes even worse than fouling out because the coach decides to take them off the court anyway.

I would've put Sam in at the 16 minute mark of the 2nd half and told him not to foul. If he fouls out, oh well. At least he played as many minutes as possible.
I think had Boise got up even 1 pt Sam would have been back no matter what the clock said

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 9th, 2020, 8:50 am

Also. One of the poorest reffed games I have ever seen, both ways. Players didn’t play a game the refs played the game.

These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
MrBiggle

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 9th, 2020, 8:52 am

It was annoying to watch. I wanted to turn it off, but I also wanted to make sure we won.

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » February 9th, 2020, 10:20 am

The biggest bright spot aside from the W has to be Queta. He is looking like his old self. Those blocks were amazing!! and some of those turn around baby hooks and push shots were falling. He looked like an NBA player tonight.
These users thanked the author deltaaggie for the post:
TheAKAggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 9th, 2020, 11:10 am

That was one of the least satisfying wins ever. I prefer winning games by executing better than the opposition and making shots. People attend college basketball games to watch guys perform at a level higher than they, themselves can play. That was not the case against Boise. With the fouls and the missed shots, it would have been just as entertaining watching a church or rec league game. That game was a turd.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Eutaw St. Aggie

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 9th, 2020, 11:13 am

deltaaggie wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 10:20 am
The biggest bright spot aside from the W has to be Queta. He is looking like his old self. Those blocks were amazing!! and some of those turn around baby hooks and push shots were falling. He looked like an NBA player tonight.
Agreed. When Queta first came back against Fresno, I commented on how he got abused by their post players. He looked lost. Now, he has passed where he ended last year. The extra weight allows him to get better position in the post. That left handed baby hook is unstoppable. He's developing nicely. I would love one more year if him in Logan. Just imagine him with a couple wings that can shoot.

Eutaw St. Aggie

GUS

Post by GUS » February 9th, 2020, 12:03 pm

Who were the three refs for this game? Not sure I have seen any of them at the Spectrum before.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 9th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 11:13 am
deltaaggie wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 10:20 am
Agreed. When Queta first came back against Fresno, I commented on how he got abused by their post players. He looked lost. Now, he has passed where he ended last year. The extra weight allows him to get better position in the post. That left handed baby hook is unstoppable. He's developing nicely. I would love one more year if him in Logan. Just imagine him with a couple wings that can shoot.
If we can sneak into the NCAAs I will ABSOLUTELY take this year being slightly below expectations if it means one more year of Queta.

GUS

Post by GUS » February 9th, 2020, 7:45 pm

It was oddly satisfying to go to the boise board and see their complaining. Any win against the donkeys is a good win. The refs were terrible both ways and if anything gave an advantage to boise by making Sam sit for half of the game.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » February 9th, 2020, 8:12 pm

Hard for them to legitimately complain about the officials when our best player got his 4th foul with over 19 minutes left in the game.

They got 13 second half minutes without Merrill and couldn't take the lead. That is on them.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 9th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Sadly for them he still put up 17 on them.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 9th, 2020, 8:21 pm

Was the game ugly, yes it was. I still had an awesome time at the game and thought the atmosphere was fantastic. We shot 11% from the 3 point line and while we are not a good 3 point shooting team it gives me a lot of hope moving forward. Even if we shot our conference average of ~29% we would have made 4 more 3 point shots and the game is not in jeopardy. To me the biggest issue with beating CSU and Fresno on the road is if we can shoot better than 30% from 3. We do that and I believe we will win as our defense for the past month has been pretty awesome.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 9th, 2020, 8:57 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 8:21 pm
Was the game ugly, yes it was. I still had an awesome time at the game and thought the atmosphere was fantastic. We shot 11% from the 3 point line and while we are not a good 3 point shooting team it gives me a lot of hope moving forward. Even if we shot our conference average of ~29% we would have made 4 more 3 point shots and the game is not in jeopardy. To me the biggest issue with beating CSU and Fresno on the road is if we can shoot better than 30% from 3. We do that and I believe we will win as our defense for the past month has been pretty awesome.
Just keep feeding Queta.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 9th, 2020, 9:38 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Just keep feeding Queta.
He should touch the ball every possession in my opinion. He shouldn’t shoot every possession but he should touch it. See what position he was able to get down low, see how the defense adjusts, then make a decision to shoot or pass. When the ball goes down low, it totally collapse the defense. We had so many open uncontested 3’s last night. It will be the same moving forward. Can we make those? That’s a huge problem but hopefully we start hitting our 3’s at some point. We were shooting well before January. I have to believe we will get there again at some point. If that happens, we can beat anyone on the schedule, including a rematch with SDSU.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 9th, 2020, 9:51 pm

The game was ugly and brutish. These guys do not like each other. That said, successful teams learn to win games like this - foul trouble, disjointed rhythm and the inability to make open three pointers.

The difference in the game was hustle, rebounding and going 30-35 from the free throw line. That is impressive.

Great win!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 9th, 2020, 10:22 pm

scotlandog wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 9:38 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Just keep feeding Queta.
He should touch the ball every possession in my opinion. He shouldn’t shoot every possession but he should touch it. See what position he was able to get down low, see how the defense adjusts, then make a decision to shoot or pass. When the ball goes down low, it totally collapse the defense. We had so many open uncontested 3’s last night. It will be the same moving forward. Can we make those? That’s a huge problem but hopefully we start hitting our 3’s at some point. We were shooting well before January. I have to believe we will get there again at some point. If that happens, we can beat anyone on the schedule, including a rematch with SDSU.

Seriously. I’ve played with many bigs who are complete black holes so you get nervous passing it inside to them. Queta rarely forces a bad shot, but can force a bad pass at times. He is a willing passer and screener. Our perimeter guys should want him to touch the ball because it makes their lives so much easier.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 9th, 2020, 10:25 pm

Bairstow is one of the few that conscientiously feeds a Queta they ball. I’m not sure I’ve seen other guys not named Sam work it into him.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » February 9th, 2020, 10:34 pm

dyedblue wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 10:25 pm
Bairstow is one of the few that conscientiously feeds a Queta they ball. I’m not sure I’ve seen other guys not named Sam work it into him.
Actually, the last few games have shown Miller's ability to get passes into Nemi in good scoring position.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 9th, 2020, 10:54 pm

cdaAg wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
Actually, the last few games have shown Miller's ability to get passes into Nemi in good scoring position.
Miller has three assists in the last six games (10 in the last 10 games - not cherry picking stats). Bairstow fairs no better. Miller either jacks a quick three or holds onto it so long he has to make a contested pass.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 10th, 2020, 11:48 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 10:22 pm
scotlandog wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Just keep feeding Queta.

Seriously. I’ve played with many bigs who are complete black holes so you get nervous passing it inside to them. Queta rarely forces a bad shot, but can force a bad pass at times. He is a willing passer and screener. Our perimeter guys should want him to touch the ball because it makes their lives so much easier.
Queta's shooting over 66% from the field so far this year, so I'd be extremely happy if he were a black hole and we got it to him every time down if he can maintain that percentage. To give that a little context, that's the second highest field goal percentage ever at Utah State in a single season. Second to only Nate Harris.

http://www.usustats.com/records/season/fgpercentage

Neemy also has the 2nd highest career FG% to Nate-O.

http://www.usustats.com/records/career/fgpercentage

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 10th, 2020, 12:32 pm

treesap32 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 11:48 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Just keep feeding Queta.

Queta's shooting over 66% from the field so far this year, so I'd be extremely happy if he were a black hole and we got it to him every time down if he can maintain that percentage. To give that a little context, that's the second highest field goal percentage ever at Utah State in a single season. Second to only Nate Harris.

'sap - I love your website showing all of these stats. One thing it does is brings up names from the past of Aggie legends. In looking at the single season 3-point % leaders list, I see one name at the bottom of the list: TeNale Roland. He played recently (2013-14), but I have no recollection of him at all. He must have only played one season, but I can't remember him. I apologize to TeNale.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 10th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 12:32 pm
treesap32 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Just keep feeding Queta.

'sap - I love your website showing all of these stats. One thing it does is brings up names from the past of Aggie legends. In looking at the single season 3-point % leaders list, I see one name at the bottom of the list: TeNale Roland. He played recently (2013-14), but I have no recollection of him at all. He must have only played one season, but I can't remember him. I apologize to TeNale.
You probably don't remember him because it was a particularly unmemorable year. Some friends and I road tripped to most of the games, and they never pretty. There wasn't too much to be excited about that season.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
aggieguy13

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 10th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 12:32 pm
treesap32 wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
Just keep feeding Queta.

If you click the player's name it will bring up their profile. TeNale was a JC transfer point guard for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons. Looks like he split time with Marcel Davis in 2012-13 and started in 2013-14.

https://usustats.com/players/TeNale+Roland

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Am I the only one surprised to see Nate Bendall on this list? Not that he was bad (obviously), but I can only recollect him in the paint and (instead of going up immediately) dribbling, pumping, and then going up. It was almost comical. Even when nobody was around to contest the shot, he'd take the time to dribble, pump, then go up.

Just me?

BeNo

Post by BeNo » February 10th, 2020, 1:35 pm

dog-faced pony soldier game.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 10th, 2020, 1:38 pm

dyedblue wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 10:54 pm
cdaAg wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
Miller has three assists in the last six games (10 in the last 10 games - not cherry picking stats). Bairstow fairs no better. Miller either jacks a quick three or holds onto it so long he has to make a contested pass.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just passing to someone that eventually scores does not equal an assist. So if Miller or Porter pass it into Neemi and he holds it and waits to watch the defense react (which he does often), by the time he makes his move and scores it won't always count as an assist.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » February 10th, 2020, 1:46 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:These guys do not like each other.
Good! Need more of that in the MWC. That’s where rivalries come. And rivalries drive interest/fans/donations etc.

These users thanked the author WAaggieFan for the post:
FloridaAggie13

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » February 10th, 2020, 1:48 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 9:51 pm
The game was ugly and brutish. These guys do not like each other. That said, successful teams learn to win games like this - foul trouble, disjointed rhythm and the inability to make open three pointers.

The difference in the game was hustle, rebounding and going 30-35 from the free throw line. That is impressive.

Great win!
I agree, these guys don't get along. I took Leon's last timeout after the game was decided as a sucker punch, and coach Smith's final timeout with seconds left as a counterpunch. Plus Smith was about as pumped up as I've ever seen him. He wanted to crush these guys.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 10th, 2020, 1:56 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 1:38 pm
dyedblue wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 10:54 pm
cdaAg wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just passing to someone that eventually scores does not equal an assist. So if Miller or Porter pass it into Neemi and he holds it and waits to watch the defense react (which he does often), by the time he makes his move and scores it won't always count as an assist.
There is some judgment involved with assists, but if the player posts up, takes several dribbles before making a move and scoring it would not be an assist. The pass has to be delivered giving the player an advantage to score. Here's a quote from the official Statistician Guide for NCAA Basketball. The link after the excerpt gives some examples.
SECTION 5—ASSISTS
A player is credited with an assist when the player makes, in
the judgment of the statistician, the principal pass contributing
directly to a field goal (or an awarded score of two or three
points). Only one assist is to be credited on any field goal and
only when the pass was a major part of the play. The same player
cannot be credited with an assist and a field goal made on
the same possession.

Such a pass should be either (a) a pass that finds a player
free after he or she has maneuvered without the ball for a positional
advantage, or (b) a pass that gives the receiving player a
positional advantage he or she otherwise would not have had.
Philosophy. An assist should be more than a routine pass
that just happens to be followed by a field goal. It should be a
conscious effort to find the open player or to help a player work
free. There should not be a limit on the number of dribbles by
the receiver. It is not even necessary that the assist be given
on the last pass. There is no restraint on the distance or type of
shot made, for these are not the crucial factors in determining
whether an assist should be credited.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Man ... 2018EZ.pdf

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 10th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Right on time, thanks Sap. Together maybe you and I can fight to get the "post-foul help side block" counted towards a players total blocks.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 10th, 2020, 2:03 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 1:59 pm
Right on time, thanks Sap. Together maybe you and I can fight to get the "post-foul help side block" counted towards a players total blocks.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 10th, 2020, 2:14 pm

treesap32 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 2:03 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 1:59 pm
It makes no sense. They count the basket after the foul. Did that basket occur in a vacuum? It's allowed to be blocked and benefits your team to do so, then why not count it on your stats?
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
MrBiggle

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 10th, 2020, 2:15 pm

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 1:48 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Great win!
I agree, these guys don't get along. I took Leon's last timeout after the game was decided as a sucker punch, and coach Smith's final timeout with seconds left as a counterpunch. Plus Smith was about as pumped up as I've ever seen him. He wanted to crush these guys.
That is exactly what I thought as well. I thought why in the hell is coach rice taking a timeout down 7 with 12 seconds to go. We then went up by nine with 7 seconds to go and loved it when coach Smith called the timeout. I am not a fan of coach Rice he just rubs me the wrong way and seems like a douche.

89Aggie

Post by 89Aggie » February 10th, 2020, 2:45 pm

GUS wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 12:03 pm
Who were the three refs for this game? Not sure I have seen any of them at the Spectrum before.
I have the three referees as Chris Rastatter, Ryan McDaniel, and Chad Shepherd.

Locked Previous topicNext topic