2 for 19 shooting from 3?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Mr. Sneelock

2 for 19 shooting from 3?

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 9th, 2020, 8:47 am

Jeez. This might be the worst 3 pt shooting Aggie team I have ever watched. Glad we won, but that is awful.

And Miller with another patented 1-6. Is he setting records for 3 point shooting futility? And Brito 0-5. Sounds about right. At some point someone has to make some or stop shooting, right?
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
AngusAg

Formerly TulsAGGIE

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: 2 for 19 shooting from 3?

Post by NVAggie » February 9th, 2020, 8:53 am

They were both terrible last night. Very poor shooting. If they hit 3 to four more we win big.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » February 9th, 2020, 8:55 am

Or one or two. Miller did hit a big one that put us up 40-41down the stretch but agree with this sentiment completely.
Last edited by Elkaggie on February 9th, 2020, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

coolag

Post by coolag » February 9th, 2020, 9:07 am

The problem with Miller is if he is having an off night (season in his case) he just keeps shooting and does not bring anything else to the court. A team player knows when things aren't going your way you find other ways to contribute and help your team. Miller does not. At least brito will have a steal or a hustle play for a break away layup here and there. I bag on the guy a lot but I honestly do not understand how Miller plays the minutes he does on a good D1 basketball team.
These users thanked the author coolag for the post (total 3):
donlarson8AggieFBObsessionReal Life Aggie

Regulator of Class

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 9th, 2020, 9:56 am

coolag wrote:The problem with Miller is if he is having an off night (season in his case) he just keeps shooting and does not bring anything else to the court. A team player knows when things aren't going your way you find other ways to contribute and help your team. Miller does not. At least brito will have a steal or a hustle play for a break away layup here and there. I bag on the guy a lot but I honestly do not understand how Miller plays the minutes he does on a good D1 basketball team.
If you think his threes are bad, watch him in D. It is frustrating. He is often turning around and then trying to recover while his guy knocks down a three. Tyler Newbold should give some lessons on how to play D. I have never seen a guy so out of position so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 3):
donlarson8AggieFBObsessionReal Life Aggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 9th, 2020, 10:21 am

Porter passed up a handful of wide open looks, Brito clearly has the yips when it comes to the three ball cause he’s not even close. Miller is in such a hurry to shoot these wide open threes that he puts a little too much on the ball, which is why he has so many rim outs. I haven’t looked closely but I would imagine when he shoots fast the ball is leaving off his palm and not his fingertips.

ususports

Post by ususports » February 9th, 2020, 10:31 am

I am surprised no one seems to care how many times Bairstow drives to the basket and either fumbles the ball away or throws up a “shot” that goes straight up not making it within 10 feet of the rim. Those possessions are just as bad as a missed three. To be fair, he did make a much needed layup torward the end of the game, but that would be the equivalent to Miller finally making one of his threes.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 9th, 2020, 11:00 am

ususports wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 10:31 am
I am surprised no one seems to care how many times Bairstow drives to the basket and either fumbles the ball away or throws up a “shot” that goes straight up not making it within 10 feet of the rim. Those possessions are just as bad as a missed three. To be fair, he did make a much needed layup torward the end of the game, but that would be the equivalent to Miller finally making one of his threes.
This is true, but bairstow's mistakes should be corrected with experience. He gets to the rim more than others, which is promising. He just needs to learn how to finish or where/when to look for the pass.
These users thanked the author dirtnsnow for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Aggies All the Way!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 9th, 2020, 11:05 am

dirtnsnow wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 11:00 am
ususports wrote:
This is true, but bairstow's mistakes should be corrected with experience. He gets to the rim more than others, which is promising. He just needs to learn how to finish or where/when to look for the pass.

Bairstow's main problem is a lack of strength. He could finish those drives at the rim around high school boys. College players are much bigger, stronger, and more athletic. As Bairstow matures and adds weight and strength, he will be fine. He seems like the only person on this roster that is willing to attack the rim in a half court set. I like the aggressiveness and think it will serve him well in future years.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
AgliciousReal Life Aggie

Eutaw St. Aggie

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 9th, 2020, 11:48 am

ususports wrote:I am surprised no one seems to care how many times Bairstow drives to the basket and either fumbles the ball away or throws up a “shot” that goes straight up not making it within 10 feet of the rim. Those possessions are just as bad as a missed three. To be fair, he did make a much needed layup torward the end of the game, but that would be the equivalent to Miller finally making one of his threes.
For every mistake Bairstow makes, Miller make 5-7 mistakes. That’s why it is what it is. Bairstow barely plays, Miller starts and gets usually ~30mins. Bairstow is also a freshman while technically a sophomore, Miller has been with the team for 3 yrs now. He should be progressing way beyond Bairstow. The fact that you are comparing him to Bairstow I think answers your own question.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post (total 4):
codingaggie2004AGAggieFBObsessionReal Life Aggie

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 9th, 2020, 12:16 pm

An athletic JC/grad PG that can get the rim would have done so much for this team...

I wish JK3 had gone to class. He is exactly what we are missing.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 9th, 2020, 12:46 pm

dirtnsnow wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 11:00 am
ususports wrote:
An offseason in the weight room will do him wonders. He has a lot of upside. Once he starts finishing at the rim he will be great. I expect a big jump next year from him.

ususports

Post by ususports » February 9th, 2020, 1:08 pm

scotlandog wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 11:48 am
ususports wrote:I am surprised no one seems to care how many times Bairstow drives to the basket and either fumbles the ball away or throws up a “shot” that goes straight up not making it within 10 feet of the rim. Those possessions are just as bad as a missed three. To be fair, he did make a much needed layup torward the end of the game, but that would be the equivalent to Miller finally making one of his threes.
For every mistake Bairstow makes, Miller make 5-7 mistakes. That’s why it is what it is. Bairstow barely plays, Miller starts and gets usually ~30mins. Bairstow is also a freshman while technically a sophomore, Miller has been with the team for 3 yrs now. He should be progressing way beyond Bairstow. The fact that you are comparing him to Bairstow I think answers your own question.
That isn’t what the stats say. Miller had 23 minutes and Bairstow has 12, and their production was almost identical considering the time played. My point is that a missed shot is a missed shot, and a turnover is a turnover no matter how old someone is who does it. A freshman’s mistakes does not hurt the team any less than a sophomore’s mistakes. If Bairstow “needs an off-season to get stronger” then he should know his limitations in games played now, just as much as Miller should know when to stop shooting threes. I wasn’t trying to make a direct comparison of Miller to Bairstow. Simply that Bairstow shouldn’t receive a free pass to hurt the team just because he is a freshman. All mistakes hurt our chances to win.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
utaggies

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 9th, 2020, 1:14 pm

ususports wrote:
scotlandog wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 11:48 am
That isn’t what the stats say. Miller had 23 minutes and Bairstow has 12, and their production was almost identical considering the time played. My point is that a missed shot is a missed shot, and a turnover is a turnover no matter how old someone is who does it. A freshman’s mistakes does not hurt the team any less than a sophomore’s mistakes. If Bairstow “needs an off-season to get stronger” then he should know his limitations in games played now, just as much as Miller should know when to stop shooting threes. I wasn’t trying to make a direct comparison of Miller to Bairstow. Simply that Bairstow shouldn’t receive a free pass to hurt the team just because he is a freshman. All mistakes hurt our chances to win.
You’re missing the point.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » February 9th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Bairstow is a true freshman, I wouldn’t expect him to perform at the same level as guys who have been in the program for 3-4 years especially when those guys were so much better last year. The regression of three particular role players from last year to this year has been as big of a reason (or even bigger) for our struggles as Queta’s injury IMO.

ususports

Post by ususports » February 9th, 2020, 1:30 pm

donlarson8 wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 1:20 pm
Bairstow is a true freshman, I wouldn’t expect him to perform at the same level as guys who have been in the program for 3-4 years especially when those guys were so much better last year. The regression of three particular role players from last year to this year has been as big of a reason (or even bigger) for our struggles as Queta’s injury IMO.
I completely agree. I am not defending Miller’s poor performance (or Porter’s or Brito’s). I cringe every time he shoots the ball just as much as any other (Aggie) fan, and I wish coach Smith would put the brakes on his shot selection. That being said, I equally cringe every time Bairstow plays out of control on the offensive end. Just because he is a freshman doesn’t make his mistakes hurt our chances to win NOW any less.
These users thanked the author ususports for the post:
donlarson8

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 9th, 2020, 1:32 pm

A miss at the rim is a lot different than a missed three.

Look at the one Sam has late in the game right after he came back in. He’s lucky he didn’t foul out, but it lead to an immediate breakaway.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

BioAggie

Post by BioAggie » February 9th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Bairstow has the ability to improve and learn. Last night he showed that, after being blocked at the rim in a dunk attempt, he changed his shot on the very next attempt and laid it in. Miller misses and thinks that shooting a quicker, deeper 3 is the answer...
These users thanked the author BioAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 9th, 2020, 1:34 pm

ususports wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 1:30 pm
donlarson8 wrote:
I completely agree. I am not defending Miller’s poor performance (or Porter’s or Brito’s). I cringe every time he shoots the ball just as much as any other (Aggie) fan, and I wish coach Smith would put the brakes on his shot selection. That being said, I equally cringe every time Bairstow plays out of control on the offensive end. Just because he is a freshman doesn’t make his mistakes hurt our chances to win NOW any less.
Miller is tearing this board apart. Brother vs brother.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 9th, 2020, 1:49 pm

The bottom line is that while Bairstow's and Miller's mistakes are equally devastating in the short term, Miller's mistakes are more of a long term concern than Bairstow's.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 9th, 2020, 2:06 pm

donlarson8 wrote:
I, too, wouldn’t expect Bairstow to perform at the same level of more mature players. And he’s fulfilling all of my expectations. But he’s playing better than Miller who is shooting 20% from beyond the arc in conference games with the exception of the AFA away game. That is unacceptable for a player is on scholarship for the express purpose of hitting three’s. If a FG kicker was only making 60% of his PATs and FG inside the 30 yard line he would not retain his scholarship.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » February 9th, 2020, 2:19 pm

To me, Bairstow's defense is worse than Miller's. Bottom line is I don't care how good a guy was last year or how good he can be next year. All I care about is who gives us the best chance to win Tuesday in Fort Collins.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 3):
ususportsaggies22utaggies

ususports

Post by ususports » February 9th, 2020, 2:43 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 2:19 pm
To me, Bairstow's defense is worse than Miller's. Bottom line is I don't care how good a guy was last year or how good he can be next year. All I care about is who gives us the best chance to win Tuesday in Fort Collins.
I agree, but apparently, you are missing the point too. :sarcasm:

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 9th, 2020, 2:51 pm

utaggies wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 2:06 pm
Bairstow . . . [is] fulfilling all of my expectations.
Really? While he is a true freshman, I had higher expectations after hearing so many great things about him. He often fails the eye test -- regularly looking overmatched and out-of-control -- and the advanced metrics support the fact that he is one of the most detrimental players to the Aggies' success when he is on the court. (See my thread "Can we win with only three productive players?")

That said, I hold out hope he will get there. He IS only a freshman and has shown flashes of promise. I suspect part of his wild inconsistency is the step up in competition level that has hurt his confidence at times. I'm not sure how much he'll help the Aggies this season, but maybe next?
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
ususports

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 9th, 2020, 5:26 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 2:51 pm
utaggies wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 2:06 pm
Bairstow . . . [is] fulfilling all of my expectations.
Really? While he is a true freshman, I had higher expectations after hearing so many great things about him. He often fails the eye test -- regularly looking overmatched and out-of-control -- and the advanced metrics support the fact that he is one of the most detrimental players to the Aggies' success when he is on the court. (See my thread "Can we win with only three productive players?")

That said, I hold out hope he will get there. He IS only a freshman and has shown flashes of promise. I suspect part of his wild inconsistency is the step up in competition level that has hurt his confidence at times. I'm not sure how much he'll help the Aggies this season, but maybe next?
My expectation was that he wouldn’t move the dial this year and he has totally fulfilled my expectations.

Locked Previous topicNext topic