Great defensive adjustment by Smith

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Great defensive adjustment by Smith

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 5th, 2020, 10:49 pm

Won the game to go to alternating zones. UNLV never looked comfortable after that. This team has to commit defensively every game. When we focus on defense and the GATA mentality the offense tends to take care of itself like last year. I did love all the post touches for Queta. Speaking of which, did Queta play the whole second half?
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
ineptimusprimeChicAggie

Aggie84025

Re: Great defensive adjustment by Smith

Post by Aggie84025 » February 5th, 2020, 10:52 pm

Yes he did, 36 in all. The defense of adjustment to go to the Zone was awesome. The last 15 minutes was really really fun to watch the team played great.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 5th, 2020, 10:57 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Won the game to go to alternating zones. UNLV never looked comfortable after that. This team has to commit defensively every game. When we focus on defense and the GATA mentality the offense tends to take care of itself like last year. I did love all the post touches for Queta. Speaking of which, did Queta play the whole second half?
Yes! The first half Queta was a little lackadaisical but then something clicked in the second half and he really started fighting for position and working hard in the post. Things really changed at that point. We had that big run and it was Queta and Merrill feeding off each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 5th, 2020, 11:14 pm

The biggest adjustment was at 41-40 we had Porter, Merrill, Brito, Bean, and Queta on the floor and went on our run. Addition by subtraction made all of the difference.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
LiberalAggieReal Life Aggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 5th, 2020, 11:19 pm

scotlandog wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 10:57 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Won the game to go to alternating zones. UNLV never looked comfortable after that. This team has to commit defensively every game. When we focus on defense and the GATA mentality the offense tends to take care of itself like last year. I did love all the post touches for Queta. Speaking of which, did Queta play the whole second half?
Yes! The first half Queta was a little lackadaisical but then something clicked in the second half and he really started fighting for position and working hard in the post. Things really changed at that point. We had that big run and it was Queta and Merrill feeding off each other.

What clicked was our boys realized that if they don't get their sh!t together, they were going to lose. I'm glad they finally got it going! Queta was great tonight!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 5th, 2020, 11:20 pm

Until his three pointer, it felt like Porter was intent on making sure it would be a close finish. Turnover machine.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 5th, 2020, 11:27 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 11:20 pm
Until his three pointer, it felt like Porter was intent on making sure it would be a close finish. Turnover machine.
You've noticed too?

Turtle

Post by Turtle » February 5th, 2020, 11:48 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
He actually only had two. The problem was that EVERY ONE of our starters had a pair of turnovers.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 5th, 2020, 11:57 pm

Turtle wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 11:48 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
He actually only had two. The problem was that EVERY ONE of our starters had a pair of turnovers.
I just saw that I call :bs:
In just the last 12 minutes or so of the game I can think of at least 4. He had the one that led to a flagrant foul, the backcourt pass over Merrill’s head, one while he was facing up on the right elbow three, and another while dribbling at the top of the key.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
MrBiggleChicAggie

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 6th, 2020, 12:35 am

No, he subbed out with 36 seconds left.

Hail Aggies!

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 6th, 2020, 2:40 am

Just wish it wouldn't have taken this long for him to ever adjust and switch to zone mid game

We could have used the zone in multiple games this season. Specifically UNLV the first time around, probably that Air Force game, SDSU when they went on the initial run to take the lead, a zone would've taken a bit of the wind from their run and prevented Mitchell from running over Bean every possession, etc.

It was great to see Smith implement it tonight, just think we should use it more often at different points in a given game, especially when teams are taking advantage of our lack of quickness on D...we are long but teams like St Mary's, UNLV and SDSU knew how to get by our long perimeter defense. A zone also gives Queta the chance to camp out in the paint without worrying about guarding his man on high picks, etc. Any a team that is taking advantage of pulling Queta out from the paint, we should switch to zone to counter it once in a while

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 6th, 2020, 4:47 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 11:57 pm
Turtle wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
I just saw that I call :bs:
In just the last 12 minutes or so of the game I can think of at least 4. He had the one that led to a flagrant foul, the backcourt pass over Merrill’s head, one while he was facing up on the right elbow three, and another while dribbling at the top of the key.
I just watched and he had two clear ones. The one with the bad pass to sam went against sam for possessing it then throwing it away trying to save it. Porter also caught an airball with a second left on a shot clock violation but guessing they gave it to miller for shooting it?

freakboy

Post by freakboy » February 6th, 2020, 6:28 am

This makes me wonder how much of our losses this year could have been avoided by coaching decisions like we saw last night and how many were unavoidable.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 6th, 2020, 7:11 am

We went the same zone against BYU and it helped but we still lost.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 6th, 2020, 7:52 am

The announcers mentioned that Smith installed the 2-3 zone only in the past week. Now, perhaps they meant to say the 1-3-1 zone because 2-3 would seem to be pretty standard fare in my opinion.

Either way it worked very well last night and the players communicated and rotated very well not leaving gaps for open shots.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 6th, 2020, 7:54 am

freakboy wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 6:28 am
This makes me wonder how much of our losses this year could have been avoided by coaching decisions like we saw last night and how many were unavoidable.
With Queta only really being healthy in the latter half of January it is possible that his choices were limited.

89Aggie

Post by 89Aggie » February 6th, 2020, 8:08 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 7:52 am
The announcers mentioned that Smith installed the 2-3 zone only in the past week. Now, perhaps they meant to say the 1-3-1 zone because 2-3 would seem to be pretty standard fare in my opinion.

Either way it worked very well last night and the players communicated and rotated very well not leaving gaps for open shots.
The team has played a 1-3-1 quite a bit. Last night, however, they rotated between a 1-3-1, a 2-3, and man. The rotation between the three seemed to bother UNLV more than anything.
These users thanked the author 89Aggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

BRuss804

Post by BRuss804 » February 6th, 2020, 8:39 am

Usu0505 wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 7:11 am

The zone against BYU really helped us get back into the game. The problem was we stayed with it too long. Once BYU figured it out, we should have switched out. Resulted in too many open threes toward the end of the game.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 6th, 2020, 9:28 am

Changing up your defenses often is absolutely critical. Stew did this very well in his prime.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 6th, 2020, 9:43 am

Turtle wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
All starters for sure had turnover issues. Not all turnovers are the same. Getting called for a travel or throwing the ball out of bounds is different than getting the ball stolen right out of your hands and have them go the other way for a layup. Both of Poter's were huge, one was a layup and the other one he committed a flagrant 1 foul after the turnover. They did not capitalize on the flagrant 1, but you cannot have your point guard make those mistakes.

GUS

Post by GUS » February 6th, 2020, 10:10 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 2:40 am
Just wish it wouldn't have taken this long for him to ever adjust and switch to zone mid game

We could have used the zone in multiple games this season. Specifically UNLV the first time around, probably that Air Force game, SDSU when they went on the initial run to take the lead, a zone would've taken a bit of the wind from their run and prevented Mitchell from running over Bean every possession, etc.

It was great to see Smith implement it tonight, just think we should use it more often at different points in a given game, especially when teams are taking advantage of our lack of quickness on D...we are long but teams like St Mary's, UNLV and SDSU knew how to get by our long perimeter defense. A zone also gives Queta the chance to camp out in the paint without worrying about guarding his man on high picks, etc. Any a team that is taking advantage of pulling Queta out from the paint, we should switch to zone to counter it once in a while
Couldn't have said it better MetsJetsAggies. There are a couple of games we could have won, if we would have used it more. This team is just not quick enough to guard fast teams man to man. Besides St Mary's, UNLV and SDSU, should have used it more of the byu game to slow their shooters down. Those could have all been wins.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 6th, 2020, 12:59 pm

BRuss804 wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 7:11 am

The zone against BYU really helped us get back into the game. The problem was we stayed with it too long. Once BYU figured it out, we should have switched out. Resulted in too many open threes toward the end of the game.
100% agreed.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » February 6th, 2020, 1:40 pm

I think the zone works pretty good against teams like unlv, who can't hit outside shots. it also helped us because we were having a hard time keeping their guys getting to the hole, or all the way to the basket.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 6th, 2020, 6:33 pm

89Aggie wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 8:08 am
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 7:52 am

The team has played a 1-3-1 quite a bit. Last night, however, they rotated between a 1-3-1, a 2-3, and man. The rotation between the three seemed to bother UNLV more than anything.
The team looked pretty comfortable playing the 1-3-1 so perhaps the announcers were correct in saying the 2-3 is a relatively new installation from Smith.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 8th, 2020, 12:32 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:The announcers mentioned that Smith installed the 2-3 zone only in the past week. Now, perhaps they meant to say the 1-3-1 zone because 2-3 would seem to be pretty standard fare in my opinion.

The 2-3 was worked on this week, the 1-3-1 we have deployed before but sparingly.

These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

Hail Aggies!

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 8th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Like others have said they were just way more athletic than us. Helped to slow them down. It was a great coaching move and won us the game. They were scoring at will before it.

Locked Previous topicNext topic